• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
if it gets blown open then sure, I might grab it, but at the same time the emulator is open source so I can't see it being that much more worth it than a much cheaper Pi or something similar.

It's such a shame too, the thing looks real cool but it's plagued with bad decisions internally. I was even fine with the game selection! It's just the inclusion of 47% PAL games that makes no sense.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Cheap nostalgia ploy in time for the holidays. They have no interest in creating an ideal product.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I cancelled my pre-order of this earlier this week. I got PSVR instead for the holidays.

Come back with a Dualshock version next time.

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
100 bucks? For a game? They screwed me! *vomits* I should have...bought...Ouya!

Very sad to see this hasn't worked out. The software lineup is something special.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
What the hell happened?!

No the issues stem from the use of the pal version, not the hardware. Nothing bad has been said about the performance of ntsc games

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2018/11/26/playstation-classic-the-miniature-ultimate-faq/

Battle Arena Toshinden*
Cool Boarders 2*
Destruction Derby*
Grand Theft Auto*
Jumping Flash!*
Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee*
Resident Evil Director's Cut*
Tekken 3*
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six*

*Denotes a title based on the PAL version

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Too bad Nintendo didn't grab the opportunity to release N64 classic - though it was always expected imo that it wasn't gonna happen this year but then we got all these rumors insisting otherwise.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
Can we get PS1 games on PS4 now?
They would have done it already if it was possibile. They are only losing money without PS1 games on PS4 Store. The people that says they didn't because PS Classic are either stupid or troll because it doesn't make sense. This should be a pure nostalgia product and many would have double dipped easily ( if the PS Classic would have turn out good and not crap ).

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
I have a feeling this whole project was rushed. The PAL versions only make sense because of multiple language options. At least that's what I'm assuming.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
was this handled by sony or sony sub contracted it to a 3rd party emulator to do it for them?

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
I hope reviewers trash it.
Agreed. I hope as many reviews as possible castigate Sony for the decision to go with inferior versions of almost half the games. They've spent too long having minimal negative media coverage for 50Hz re-releases (with the Eurogamer coverage of the PAL PS2 games on PS4 being the welcome exception). This might be the best opportunity to get across the message that they should treat their legacy with care instead of just blindly re-releasing inferior PAL versions.

So if Tekken has framerate issues, does that mean that this thing can't even handle Tom's well/ie it wouldn't be worth getting for the hacks?
The emulation is probably fine, the "framerate" issues with Tekken 3 are due to Sony using the PAL version which is playing at the original PAL speed.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Christ. How could you botch this. The greatest console of all time.

I had two on order but cancelled one. Still getting the other for the office but really, really sad about this.

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
In the end of the IGN video the three mini consoles are put side by side and... yup, those USB ports really make a dent on the overall design.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
The PAL Stuff deserves its own thread. That's wacky.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Receiving it as a gift next week, at least it looks good.

This product's legitimacy will be entirely dependent on the hacking scene, this is ridiculous. :lol

I really hope people will make something good out of this.

Oct 25, 2017
The void
I'm glad I never preordered this. I hope if this bombs, that Sony doesn't take the wrong message away from it (Gamers don't want BC after all!). No, I just don't want shitty, mediocre, cash grab efforts at it especially when I have a lot of these games on my PS3.

It was clear from day 1 that this was low effort and a cash grab capitalizing on the success of the other classic systems.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
I have a feeling this whole project was rushed. The PAL versions only make sense because of multiple language options. At least that's what I'm assuming.
Most PAL versions of games had either no language choice or only a small selection of choices. Typically, if you bought the game in the UK, you got the English version, if you bought the game in France, you got the French version, etc. There were exceptions, but most of the PAL games on this machine will not be multi-lingual, they will be English only.

(Additionally the games that would most benefit from having a choice of languages would be FFVII, MGS, Wild Arms, Persona and GTA, and four out of those five are English-only NTSC versions anyway).

Did any of the reviews talk about how 50hz games run?

Did they atleast not botch that by enabling the proper emulator options?
The Gamespot video linked in the first post makes it clear that they're running at 50Hz.

Deleted member 1273

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's so little effort put it on this I fully expect when hacked we'll find that there's plain text files saying "downloaded from EmuParadise" right next to the roms

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
Cool Boarders 2 looks glitchy in both videos - was the game like that originally?

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
Any hack of the system should delete the PAL Rainbow Six ISO by default without asking :p And honestly maybe all the other PAL ISOs but especially R6

Is a shame going by the reviews and previews seem to suggest scaling's pretty soft and inadequate. Hopefully another thing that can be mitigated with a hack. Honestly hacking this thing is going to be outright essential

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
Is a shame, but we all know this is gonna still sell like hotcakes purely based on nostalgia and the brand, with a lot of "casual" consumers excited to see it in stores for an "affordable" price, without knowing most of the issues doing the rounds.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The controller ports are USB right? Can the controllers be used with PC and can other HID USB controllers be used with the Classic?

Oct 29, 2017
As is always the case with all non-Nintendo made plug n' play consoles; they fall at the hurdle of emulation quality.

Sony ripped off everything about the NES and SNES Mini except for the one, most important thing. What a damn shame.

Really is a pity that Sony seem to care so little about their own legacy. The loss of Krazy Ken continues to echo across everything they do.

Deleted member 1726

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The PlayStation deserves better than this.

Can't even put into words how disappointed I am it turned out like it did.

Guess we'll have to wait and see what hackers can do with it.