• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Static Jeans

Oct 25, 2017
$199 1TB console and extensive library of games will do that for you. Nice to see console sales remain strong.

Kodama4

Oct 25, 2017
Well there we have it, Good job to Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo! They all brought there A-game and looks like pushed each other to glory

kowalski

Oct 27, 2017
He speaks WW right? because iirc they said the same thing last year and it ended up down YOY in US.

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017
Showing that multiple manufacturers can enjoy great sales and don't have to cannibalize each other, well deserved to all.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
$199 price point certainly did extremely well for PS4 this year.

November, or BF more specifically, is becoming more and more important each year. Back in 2003, November accounted for ~13% of PS2 sales in the US. In 2016 November was nearly 25% of PS4 sales.

Jump_Button

Oct 27, 2017
User has been warned for: attempting to start up console wars in a sales thread
They taking care not to say we number 1 seller, So looks like Switch then. Biggest ever just sound like PR spin trying to put a good spin on thing that all.

ps news guy trying to still say phones are taking over

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Ps4 will outsell Ps2.

Not in units of course, but when you imagine how much the whole online ecosystem with PS+ subscriptions, downloaded games and add-on content brings to the table, it would be a huge surprise to me if the PS4 era is not the biggest ever in value since the birth of PlayStation. Sony's quarterly results aren't saying anything else anyway.

Goose Se7en

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PS4 Slims sold like hotcakes. Thursday afternoon at my local Gamestop it's all saw selling, I was like the 30th customer in line and the folks in front of me were ordering PS4 Slim over and over. That $50 oft card also sweetened the deal.

In a way I was surprised not that it's selling so we'll but that so many people still haven't got into next gen (current gen now) yet. I'm like shit how many folks haven't gotten a current gen system since 2013. Then I realized PS3 sold upwards of 80 million and so did X360. Lots of customers still left to sell consoles to.

Appollowexx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I honestly believe the PS4 is one of the best consoles I've ever owned and I've been gaming since the late 80s. It's got some fantastic exclusives, the best multiplatform support and a killer line up of indie titles. That with Plus, great online and the opportunity to move into VR gaming in the future has made it my favourite place to game - even over PC. Just upgraded to the Pro and loving it. This is well earned.

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I already had 2 PS4s and bought 2 more they were such a good deal. Probably going to sell one but still...

Congrats.

Glenn Gould

Oct 27, 2017
I assume they're still making a profit by selling the PS4 at $199,99? They probably don't really need to do it at this point due to how well things are going but a permanent drop to $199.99 would likely garner a massive sales boost as that seems to be the mass market price, it's an impulse buy for many people at under $200.

I suppose they're doing so well in comparison to their nearest competition that it's probably better for them to make a little more on each console right now rather than selling more at the lower price.

EDIT:
Do we have any idea what it costs them to produce and put a PS4 on the shelves these days? I'm wondering id they could even drop below $199.99 now and still make a profit on the hardware.

Last edited:

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
well, it was technically $150 after the $50 gamestop gift card. thats when casuals jump in. crazy how Sony managed to hit that price point in just four years while providing a pretty significant leap in graphics quality. some might say the weak cpu hurt but most online shooters are 60 fps with destiny being the only exception.

Tratorn

Oct 25, 2017
Congrats, Sony.
Seems like people agree that 200$/€ for a console with such a great existing and also upcoming lineup is a nice value. :)

DeathyG

Oct 27, 2017
NW Indiana
Dayumm, I wonder what the total worldwide sales are...

Sony knows how to get consoles inside people's homes, that's for sure.