modiz

Oct 8, 2018
www.cnbc.com

PS5 is fully stocked for first time and on track for record sales this year, top Sony exec says

Sony's PlayStation 5 is at full capacity around the world, according to Eric Lempel, the company's head of business operations.

PS5 on track for 25 Million units in a year:
The PlayStation 5 is fully stocked in stores around the world and will hit Sony's sales target of 25 million units for the year, an executive at the company told CNBC exclusively.

"This holiday season is the first holiday season we will be fully stocked on PlayStation 5 in every geography," Eric Lempel, Sony's head of business operations said in an interview earlier this week.

Lempel said the company was on track to meet that target this year and expects "record-breaking sales," thanks to the rebalancing of supply and demand and demand for titles like the newly released Marvel's Spider-Man 2, which is exclusive to PS5.

On increasing competition with MS's acquisition of ABK:
Addressing a CNBC question on whether Sony needs to do anything in response to Microsoft's move to catch up in the intellectual property land grab that's been going on in gaming, Lempel said Sony is constantly on the hunt for new developer partners to build exclusive titles for PS5.

But, he added, attempts to build out Sony's growing catalogue of first-party games further may not always mean acquisitions, stressing its interest in partnerships.

"We have a number of ways of looking at this," Lempel said, adding that "in terms of great content, that's where we're focused."

"We've done more M&A [mergers and acquisitions] in the past decade than we've ever done," he said. "We're always looking to work with new partners, whether that's somebody as an external provider … or working with a developer along with the way and then acquiring them later."

Lempel cited Insomniac Games, which developed the Marvel's Spider-Man franchise at PlayStation, as a good example of this strategy. Insomniac was earlier a partner to Sony, making games for its PlayStation platform, but it became more integrated with Sony before the Japanese tech titan later decided to buy the firm outright.

Oct 27, 2017
User banned (2 weeks): Console war rhetoric, multiple prior bans for same behavior
If they hit that it's wild. It's wild that one console maker is buying ABK while the other is outselling them what's almost 3:1 this year? Jfc.

I like the idea of less acquisitions and more partnerships for exclusives. Keeps majority of a publishers IPs multi platform while some aren't

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
If they hit that it's wild. It's wild that one console maker is buying ABK while the other is outselling them what's almost 3:1 this year? Jfc.

I like the idea of less acquisitions and more partnerships for exclusives. Keeps majority of a publishers IPs multi platform while some aren't

Sony has been super aggressive with discounts and bundles in order to hit their target. That's what matters to the average consumer. They can get a PS5, maybe at $50 off. It can play the latest COD. That's all that matters. They don't care that or even know that Microsoft is buying said COD maker.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018

Sony has been super aggressive with discounts and bundles in order to hit their target. That's what matters to the average consumer. They can get a PS5, maybe at $50 off. It can play the latest COD. That's all that matters. They don't care that or even know that Microsoft is buying said COD maker.
They have a COD bundle with the new systems which looks like it's going to be MSRP game included. This is actually going to be a drop in price because up until the Slim, all bundles have been price increases.

open_mouth_

Nov 1, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Platform Warring; Account in Junior Phase
MS is going to keep acquiring devs/pubs in the hopes of being able to get closer to 1:1 in console sales (in this upcoming generation ~2028) vs. the behemoth that is Sony. MS will have to partner up in Japan and rebrand the console there and they'll have to MAJORLY beef up their international marketing and localization efforts outside of USA/UK/CAN because they are trash outside of those territories, it seems.

Lastly, MS should add the Switch 2 as one of their release platforms for most of their games... PC / Xbox (high res versions of games) / Switch 2 to maximize revenue.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
They have a COD bundle with the new systems which looks like it's going to be MSRP game included. This is actually going to be a drop in price because up until the Slim, all bundles have been price increases.

I think the Ragnarok bundle sells for $560, so $10 less than buying the system and game on its own. And that bundle in particular was on sale a lot over the summer for $510, so you're essentially got Ragnarok for only $10.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Selling more boxes won't matter if your competitor buys up all the content.

Sony needs to acquire, build more studios/hire more folks, or consider allowing GamePass on their platform.
They don't need Game Pass. They'll slowly build out like they have been. "Buys up all the content" is hyperbole. For a host of reasons, given the landscape, but not least of which, is because when M&A happens, talent strikes out on their own. New studios form all the time. Sony is sitting pretty.

Vash

Oct 28, 2017
Partner up for more first party titles?

Gimme a new Dark Cloud on PS5! Some of that old-school stuff like random dungeons with up to date gameplay. Make the village building more randomized too while you're at it!

Rixam

Jan 2, 2023
25m in a year would be absolutely wild. Not sure if its deserved but I wish them all the best.

yeh, they do seem a bit complacent. I'd love to see cornered Sony again. End of ps3/start of ps4 era was lit.
They're definitely not complacent, they're still going through their biggest expansion ever - if they were complacent they would simply be resting on their laurels

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
MS is going to keep acquiring devs/pubs in the hopes of being able to get closer to 1:1 in console sales (in this upcoming generation ~2028) vs. the behemoth that is Sony. MS will have to partner up in Japan and rebrand the console there and they'll have to MAJORLY beef up their international marketing and localization efforts outside of USA/UK/CAN because they are trash outside of those territories, it seems.

Lastly, MS should add the Switch 2 as one of their release platforms for most of their games... PC / Xbox (high res versions of games) / Switch 2 to maximize revenue.
I think people are looking at some of these things the wrong way. Microsoft knows that there is going to be a future where not everything is determined by the boxes that they sell, and Sony knows that too.

They have simply got to a position where they have relevant content to try and push their own services should it come to that. The aim they should have is to get to something in the range of 70-80 million consoles sold and then build on that the next generation. This is not a company that got to the position it is by making short term moves.

Revenue is also the name of the game, and with the acquisitions that Microsoft is making, they are going to be close to where Sony is at with a fraction of the user base. Some of these things just need some perspective.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure this is a great strategy. Partnerships mean jack shit if the company you partner with can just be bought out from underneath you.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Sony needs to get exclusivity rights to Breath of Fire 4: Dragon Quarter Part 2...but it has Electricity Supply Building from the first soundtrack somewhere in it as well. THEN they have nothing to worry about.

Nov 19, 2019
But, he added, attempts to build out Sony's growing catalogue of first-party games further may not always mean acquisitions, stressing its interest in partnerships.
Music to my ears. Playstation's finest years where when they went big on 2nd party partnerships.

I hope this statement isn't just blowing smoke.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Instead of buying studios they'll probably contract smaller developers to make exclusive games like they are doing with Stellar Blade.

Shoot

Oct 25, 2017
I think if Lempel was being set up as the next CEO Hiroki wouldn't be taking over as interim in April 2024 and Lempel would just take over.

Super

Studied the Buster Sword
Jan 29, 2022
25m in a year would be absolutely wild. Not sure if its deserved but I wish them all the best.

yeh, they do seem a bit complacent. I'd love to see cornered Sony again. End of ps3/start of ps4 era was lit.

How is it not deserved? Their first party output since 2015 has been stellar.

Fudus

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 18, 2020
Lempel really setting himself up as the next CEO of SIE
From Death Stranding NPC to CEO, what a meteoric rise!

sYhcbEl.png

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
The consolidation stranglehold is not relenting. Partnertships are a good strategy when entities are not being bought up left and right.

We will see how the future will look.

Jul 2, 2021
Better partner up fast, before there's nobody left to partner with.
Selling more boxes won't matter if your competitor buys up all the content.

Sony needs to acquire, build more studios/hire more folks, or consider allowing GamePass on their platform.
Not sure this is a great strategy. Partnerships mean jack shit if the company you partner with can just be bought out from underneath you.
That's true.

Fabs

Aug 22, 2019
It's going to be tough. The old model is still on shelves. I still see the God of War bundle. 18 million or so is six months even with the holiday would be unprecedented.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Partner up for more first party titles?

Gimme a new Dark Cloud on PS5! Some of that old-school stuff like random dungeons with up to date gameplay. Make the village building more randomized too while you're at it!

Music to my ears. Playstation's finest years where when they went big on 2nd party partnerships.

I hope this statement isn't just blowing smoke.

Instead of buying studios they'll probably contract smaller developers to make exclusive games like they are doing with Stellar Blade.
But you will see some here and just around the web in general dismiss or downplay this...when this has been a thing for PlayStation and platform holders for decades.

Det

Jul 30, 2020
Lempel is 100% being set up as the next CEO

Definitely, his management history fits the bill. Started in e-commerce to online marketing & network product planning, with roles in network operations & strategic planning, to running global marketing, sales, and business operations currently.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, if this was pre-acquisition spree I'd say it's a great approach to build up a partnership over a number of games and then seal the deal if it's been working out for years (Like what Sony did with studios like Bluepoint, Housemarque and Insomniac), but I think that luxury no longer exists sadly.

Jun 5, 2023
I think people are looking at some of these things the wrong way. Microsoft knows that there is going to be a future where not everything is determined by the boxes that they sell, and Sony knows that too.

They have simply got to a position where they have relevant content to try and push their own services should it come to that. The aim they should have is to get to something in the range of 70-80 million consoles sold and then build on that the next generation. This is not a company that got to the position it is by making short term moves.

Revenue is also the name of the game, and with the acquisitions that Microsoft is making, they are going to be close to where Sony is at with a fraction of the user base. Some of these things just need some perspective.
This is always the case, but calls for nuance,or looking at the companies outside of winners and losers is often seen as fanboyism. Two things are clear, nobody is struggling right now and Sony has this gen on lock already as the console sales leader.

Red Kong XIX

Oct 11, 2020
The dumbest thing Lempel could do is tell an outlet that they gonna react to the MS-ABK deal.
Not saying Sony will or will not end up buying a big publisher, but his statements in this interview mean nothing.