Status
Not open for further replies.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
This moreso levels the playing field. Let's not get too hasty lol.

If big IPs like The Elder Scrolls and Fallout remain exclusive to Xbox, it will certainly push more people to at least pick up an Xbox system or subscribe to Game Pass if they're on PC. I don't think for a second Bethesda joining Xbox will all of a sudden make Playstation players suddenly abandon the ecosystem. It just won't happen. And Sony's growing their studios too, don't worry.
I appreciate your reply. But I am trying to look at this in terms of a long term game. I am certain that this generation will probably still end up with Sony holding a healthy sales lead and position in the market. But beyond that i am not sure when it becomes a game of who can throw more cash at company aquisitions.
Yeah I think people in here are downplaying the news a little. This. Is. Massive. And will change the gaming landscape forever. Sony is actually the small fish when it comes to IP and studios now. It happened literally overnight and all it took was for MS to go "fuck it lets drop some cash". Imagine if they do this again? And again... and again.. until there is nothing left.
That is what I am trying to get at, long term this could be their strategy and competing with it would be nearly impossible. This generation is going to fine, its the ones after that will become scary when the landscape has so much potential to change with these deals in mind.

Btw, I appreciate everybody's replies. Apologies If I do not reply to each of you individually.

I now learned that Fromsoft is owned by a huge corp. and that them letting Fromsoft go is stupid. So that is out of the equation for sure.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
tumblr_pjuqpvvbAm1uijsn1o1_540.gif

THIS THREAD JUST NEEDS SOME GODDAMN FAITH
Jim has a goddamn plan lol

dobahking91

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I think people in here are downplaying the news a little. This. Is. Massive. And will change the gaming landscape forever. Sony is actually the small fish when it comes to IP and studios now. It happened literally overnight and all it took was for MS to go "fuck it lets drop some cash". Imagine if they do this again? And again... and again.. until there is nothing left.

Bingo. Also its not just about studios but the insane value that is Gamepass too. If Sony keep ignoring MS it's gonna be brutal.

starblue

Oct 28, 2017
Meanwhile your competition out here buying whole ass publishers

Sony can't afford doing that...but at least they can use their money in smarter ways....

Timed exclusives are a waste in long term. MS is doing things right here, getting a bunch of studios to get full exclusives and make their hardware and services a must.

All companies are doing their moves acquiring studios, not only MS, also Tencent etc....but Sony don't (not at that level...)

I hope I'm wrong and sony soon drops some big news...instead of "console exclusive****" that's underwhelming af

Oct 27, 2017

If this continues to happens it will become nearly impossible for a lot of people to act like Microsoft is the fighting underdog up against the big evil, anti-consumer juggernaut that is Sony lol.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Also, I'm wondering if today's news will incentivize Sony to start bringing back some beloved IPs.

SOCOM, Syphon Filter, Jak and Daxter, Twisted Metal, etc.

Deusmico

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

even if they buy all the 3rd publishers, ps and nintendo will exist. and go from there

still no return of their previous xbox acquisitions and ps will start the early years of the gen dominant....probably be ahead of xbox so much that win the gen before xbox releases a AAA next gen exclusive. they will stuck with thousands of employees that were making multiplatform games now losing money because they wont release to 1/3 of the market when already they paid 7bil

maybe it will be a historic fail lol

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Realistically, how many more major acquisitions can MS pull off?

Like, should we be concerned about Ubisoft/EA/TT and others being acquired? They're bigger than Bethesda/Zenimax, right?

I didn't list any JP publishers because I doubt MS will breakthrough whatever regulations Japan has in place for foreign takeovers.

Oct 27, 2017
The maximum that this purchase will affect at Sony: Now they are forced to talk more about the PS5. I doubt that they will be as quiet as they have been for the past few months.
Theres 7 weeks to launch, they need to be talking every week regardless. 6 weeks really, you're not gonna count the week of release. We still don't know about upgrades to the 1st party titles from last year and this year, breakdown, ui, info, gameplay and impressions to launch games. There's still a lot they need to talk about and they need to get going.

Shazz

The Fallen
Nov 10, 2017
Konami trending on twitter cuz people want sony to buy konami in retaliation and im like lol

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
this thread all acting up like Sony does not have the most prestige first party studios of the world, proven by both sales and critics. lmao

the answer will come as soon as the launch: Demons Souls is an classic and a big must play for any gamer.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017

Like, should we be concerned about Ubisoft/EA/TT and others being acquired?

I didn't list any JP publishers because I doubt MS would clear whatever regulations Japan has in place for foreign takeovers.
There is that recent stuff about Bungie. I can see MS still going ahead even with the price hike.

As for Japanese devs, those old Platnium games rumours way back may actually have depth to them.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
Sony can't afford doing that...but at least they can use their money in smarter ways....

Timed exclusives are a waste in long term. MS is doing things right here, getting a bunch of studios to get full exclusives and make their hardware and services a must.

All companies are doing their moves acquiring studios, not only MS, also Tencent etc....but Sony don't (not at that level...)

I hope I'm wrong and sony soon drops some big news...instead of "console exclusive****" that's underwhelming af

Sony doesn't have that money to spend, they could never had bought Bethesda for $7.5 billion. If MS will be willing to spend Sony won't be able to compete in terms of acquisitions.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
I appreciate your reply. But I am trying to look at this in terms of a long term game. I am certain that this generation will probably still end up with Sony holding a healthy sales lead and position in the market. But beyond that i am not sure when it becomes a game of who can throw more cash at company aquisitions.

That is what I am trying to get at, long term this could be their strategy and competing with it would be nearly impossible. This generation is going to fine, its the ones after that will become scary when the landscape has so much potential to change with these deals in mind.

Btw, I appreciate everybody's replies. Apologies If I do not reply to each of you individually.

I now learned that Fromsoft is owned by a huge corp. and that them letting Fromsoft go is stupid. So that is out of the equation for sure.

The market to wild to see longer term in some ways.
Like take this gen when Sony now has 6 10 million selling IP and only had 1 on PS3 for certain .
So content is the number one thing and you can never be certain what will happen .

Sony doesn't have that money to spent, they could never had bought Bethesda for $7.5 billion. If MS will be willing to spend Sony won't be able to compete in terms of acquisitions.

Sony has the money to spend they just can't be picky any more .
Forget AAA only or people you work with for a long time .
Leyon show they were willing to forget the second part of that so do it the same with others ,

Rowsdower

Shinra Employee of The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada

Like, should we be concerned about Ubisoft/EA/TT and others being acquired? They're bigger than Bethesda/Zenimax, right?

I didn't list any JP publishers because I doubt MS will breakthrough whatever regulations Japan has in place for foreign takeovers.

I mean Microsoft has fuck you money, they could buy everyone if everyone was willing to sell.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
this thread all acting up like Sony does not have the most prestige first party studios of the world, proven by both sales and critics. lmao

the answer will come as soon as the launch: Demons Souls is an classic and a big must play for any gamer.
Folks are more concerned about the future than the present.

If MS can drop massive $$$ at a whim like this, there's nothing to prevent them from starving out PS by acquiring other major publishers.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
If this move a "threat" to them for fearing Japanese publishers acquisitions by MS, then I want them to take a good long look at their current SIEJA...

New IPs with meh reviews & sales won't cut it.

Asobi team & Astro Bot was not enough.

Mobile games from them was peanut results.

Ape Escape 20th anniversary was just a fucking tweets with pictures; and I doubt Jim Ryan or even Hermen Hulst care/know about it.

We still f****** don't know Toyama working on...

But hey!

Let's throw money on famous JRPG for 6 months to a year instead!

/half s

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Folks are more concerned about the future than the present.

Is MS can drop massive $$$ at a whim like this, there's nothing to prevent them from starving out PS by acquiring other major publishers.
"Starving" lmao

There's nothing stopping Sony from pulling a Nintendo and becoming a exclusives platform either

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
Theres 7 weeks to launch, they need to be talking every week regardless. 6 weeks really, you're not gonna count the week of release. We still don't know about upgrades to the 1st party titles from last year and this year, breakdown, ui, info, gameplay and impressions to launch games. There's still a lot they need to talk about and they need to get going.

We are talking about Sony. They can release the console without explaining any on this things.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
I figured it was more about FFXVI's timing, seems like its quite far along and Sony wanted that title in their list of Year 1-2 software
yes,but FFXVI timed exclusivity is wasted money when most of their fans will buy a PS anyway,if was a launch game would made more sense to build install base,but looks like to be far from release.
IT's not wasted money when it sells consoles and people buy the games.
PS5 will sell with or without FFXVI being timed exclusive,what was the split with FFXV? PS4 80%/20% XOne ?
Kinda agree, but it really depends on how expensive such deals are, buying FF16 exclusivity must be far less expensive for Sony, than MS, because Square loses far less revenue.
Yes,thats for sure.
Nintendo hasn't bought any new studios for years, so what?
Nintendo is its own thing, all they need is their main franchises, Sony's main competitor is the Xbox, its consoles and audience are much closer than Nintendo.

Jan 20, 2019

Timed exclusives gives you 2 out, a good income of cash and shift the userbase in your favor, they are not useless and they are not a waste of money, it is smart bussiness.

Of course buying the IP as better long terms value, but is more expensive and sometimes not worth it.

In this case, i dont beleive Sony is buying a publisher not because they dont have the money but because i dont think they will focus that much of their money in a single horse.

They will continue to build 3 party partnerships and acquire small studios and grow the WWS. At worse, they will just go 3 party and that is the worst case scenario.

amstradcpc

Oct 27, 2017

In the west Take 2 and CD project red. If they get GTA is game over for Sony.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
I thought the Xbox division wasn't THAT profitable, to secure 7,5Bn$...I would guess they won't acquire more at this scale since that'd be almost any potential profit this gen already spent but...

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Timed exclusives gives you 2 out, a good income of cash and shift the userbase in your favor, they are not useless and they are not a waste of money, it is smart bussiness.

Of course buying the IP as better long terms value, but is more expensive and sometimes not worth it.

In this case, i dont beleive Sony is buying a publisher not because they dont have the money but because i dont think they will focus that much of their money in a single horse.

They will continue to build 3 party partnerships and acquire small studios and grow the WWS. At worse, they will just go 3 party and that is the worst case scenario.
Right New IP is even more valuable than even just buying up all the existing IP. Also they dont have to always Buy a whole Studio or IP and can contract them like they did with bloodbourne. Sony Has has strong IP for a while. This is MS finally addressing their Strong IP issue.

that is the problem

short sighted and it will get worse in a decade
this is a weird take lol

Status
Not open for further replies.