Status
Not open for further replies.

hussmk

Oct 29, 2017
Ok please just stop. This is getting ridiculous.
Horizon is crossgen because it started production for PS4. You're not gonna see a PS5 game with a PS4 port.
How long do you think Horizon Forbidden West has been in development? It started as a PS4 game.

That's right, Horizon 2 started as a PS4 game for sure.

Sales on PS4 will be quite miniscule I reckon since PS5 userbase will be much larger by then. "Waste of resources" might have been a hyperbolic choice of words, PS4 version is definitely worth releasing at this point. With that said, I think MM sales (at least based on the split in the UK and the fact that only PS5 version is charting around the world) indicate that Horizon 2 on PS4 won't be needed nor relevant sales-wise.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
The PS5 and Xbox Series will probably not be widely available for people to buy freely until later this year or even next year, so having cross gen version of a game for this year at least is reasonable business decision

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
With Spencer hammering on the exclusivity stuff regarding Bethesda, I think it might be worthwhile to convert Horizon into a full-blown WRPG franchise.

It's a successful IP at this point with some RPG elements. Might as well go all the way and make a proper RPG~

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
With Spencer hammering on the exclusivity stuff regarding Bethesda, I think it might be worthwhile to convert Horizon into a full-blown WRPG franchise.

It's a successful IP at this point with some RPG elements. Might as well go all the way and make a proper RPG~
But what if Guerilla dont want to do that? Sony can't exactly force their first parties to do something they don't wanna do.

Kunjiru

Apr 14, 2020

RPGs aside, no future games from Tango, Arkane and idSoftware also sting :( Also, it's only my opinion, but I don't see HZD becoming a RPG anytime soon, considering how bad they handled all the RPG elements it had lol.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
But what if Guerilla dont want to do that? Sony can't exactly force their first parties to do something they don't wanna do.
More importantly, what does Jimbo want?

tenor.gif

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
RPGs aside, no future games from Tango, Arkane and idSoftware also sting :( Also, it's only my opinion, but I don't see HZD becoming a RPG anytime soon, considering how bad they handled all the RPG elements it had lol.
Yea that was a bit rough on their end, but I'll chalk it up to unfamiliarity with the genre after coming off a decade of FPS development.

HFW will hopefully be a massive step-up on the RPG quality~

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Yea that was a bit rough on their end, but I'll chalk it up to unfamiliarity with the genre after coming off a decade of FPS development.

HFW will hopefully be a massive step-up on the RPG quality~
Honestly I am expecting a fairly straight forward and iterative sequel (which begs the question, even with pandemic delays involved how is it taking as long to make as it took Santa Monica to fully reboot God of War...)

Stoopkid

Oct 27, 2017

What ever happened to the horizon vr game?

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Honestly I am expecting a fairly straight forward and iterative sequel (which begs the question, even with pandemic delays involved how is it taking as long to make as it took Santa Monica to fully reboot God of War...)
Maybe cross-gen development is playing a part here.

If there are gameplay mechanics and features that are built with PS5 hardware in mind, it might prove challenging to reconfigure it for lesser capable PS4 consoles.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Maybe cross-gen development is playing a part here.

If there are gameplay mechanics and features that are built with PS5 hardware in mind, it might prove challenging to reconfigure it for lesser capable PS4 consoles.
Nah, the game was made with the PS4 in mind, as VGC reported, the PS5 version is just pushing graphical features more like upping density a ton, framerate, etc.

Jan 20, 2019
A number of folks in this thread seem to be against that. They just want RPG's. Thankfully Sony ain't run by them😬

This paranoia with JRPG and WRPG, like, they need to be made imedeatly.

Look, even if by some miracle Sony open a new studio to start working on WRPG, you whouldn't see that game until the end of the generation. If you like does games so much, just buy a platform that was does games, do something that you like.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
:P
[Hidden content]

I kid I kid
Where's the joke tho?

I only see truth there.

:V
Nah, the game was made with the PS4 in mind, as VGC reported, the PS5 version is just pushing graphical features more like upping density a ton, framerate, etc.
Bizarre, then I have no clue why it's taking so long.

Although, they do intend for it to be a PS5 console seller, so they might be waiting for supply chains to stabilize. But then that would mean they're artificially delaying the game for non-development reasons.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
So, arguably, what was the last bomb drop from Sony? FFXVI being exclusive? God Of War Sequel? Insomniac acquisition?
Insomniac.

SE always does deals with Sony, so that didn't surprise me, and GoW was always gonna get a sequel.

Insomniac acquisition finally happening was immense because I was worried they'd be scooped up by someone else.

Then we'd lose our dedicated R&C and SM deveoper~

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
So, arguably, what was the last bomb drop from Sony? FFXVI being exclusive? God Of War Sequel? Insomniac acquisition?

Sony generally gives them at the right times and does their thing.

Honestly, for me, the biggest bomb might be going full Steam support going forward with games (even if it's just 6 months between PS5 and PC).

Morrowbie

Oct 28, 2017
Fine, there's a gap in the market, I'll form a studio and produce an exclusive WRPG for PS5. How much money do I need to crowdfund?

...And how do you make a videogame?

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
I will miss the DOOM series. Always had been one of my favorites IPs in gaming.

But beside that, can't really say anything about Fallout and Elder Scrolls, sinse I only played Fallout 4 out of those.

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
Sigh. Days like these are why I just don't enjoy talking about gaming anymore. Fucking hell.

It sucks when people are actively relishing in people's sadness and hoping more acquisitions happen . I got friends who for one reason or another flat out can't buy another console and with building a good pc expensive, their only choice is shitty game streaming through xcloud.

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
This paranoia with JRPG and WRPG, like, they need to be made imedeatly.

Look, even if by some miracle Sony open a new studio to start working on WRPG, you whouldn't see that game until the end of the generation. If you like does games so much, just buy a platform that was does games, do something that you like.
Yeah, I've just accepted that we likely won't ever be getting a single AAA WRPG on PS5. If you care at all about that genre, a PC or Xbox are required if you want something to play within the decade. Even if Sony wanted to fill that gap, MS really made it impossible for them to do much other than start a new studio - and like you said, that'll take most of the decade before bearing fruit. I just don't see any of their current teams having the desire/skill set to make a Bethesda kind of game. Given the timed deals on Deathloop and Ghostwire, I feel like Sony was really caught off-guard by MS here, so I have no expectations of them being able to respond to that loss in the short-mid term future.

I'll just have to do the research/buy upgrades closer to release to make sure my PC can run the games once Starfield, Avowed, ES6, etc. start coming.

Like I've said, even this gen was not very good for the genre, imo. We had a lot more games incorporate rpg-lite mechanics, but actual AAA full WRPGs were almost universally disappointing. Bioware shat the bed, Bethesda released a hugely underwhelming Fallout 4 and nothing else (not interested in MMOs), Obsidian didn't even really get a shot at a big budget/scope like New Vegas and Outer Worlds was underwhelming...Witcher 3 was really good and that's about it. I guess there's still some smaller scale, AA stuff I haven't tried yet, but yeah...

Compared to PS3 where I got to play Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout 3, Fallout: New Vegas, Dragon Age: Origins, and the Mass Effect Trilogy... it's just sad to think about how far the genre has fallen on Playstation.

Still a ton of stuff to look forward to and my PS5 will likely remain my "main" overall. But this gen will be the first time I really feel forced to play a lot more on my PC, besides the strategy games I always played there.

Status
Not open for further replies.