Status
Not open for further replies.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Oh, I don't expect a big blowout if they choose to present a new IP, a little teaser at most. I also think that the goal for PS5 was to make development cycles shorter, so I wouldn't be surprised if new games are closer than we think they are :)

Indeed I hope the benefits of the PS5 platform will allow games to come out notably faster.

Going by the info Jason provided it seems that pre-production for Naughty Dogs next big title didn't start until after TLOU2 finished. I suppose we don't know if they're out of pre-production and are in the production phase now. They've got Factions 2, TLOU Remake and probably a PS5 version of TLOU2 they're working on so even if the next big game is in production right now not all of their staff would be focused on it yet.

I would think the only thing they might be able to show this year for the next big game is a target render. It'd be something to wet our appetites and keep in the back of our minds at least.

Bxrz

Banned
Dec 18, 2020
Insomniac is by far PlayStation's best developer. I have been saying this for months. It isn't even close. Not even a knock against SSM and ND. Insomniac is simply unrivaled when it comes to releasing extremely high quality games and unparalleled output.
They're productive and consistent but their peak doesnt touch ND or SSMS so ill say nah for me

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Speaking of RPGs I do wonder how Sony and CDPR plan to handle the re-reveal of Cyberpunk on the PlayStation platform. I believe MS might have the marketing for the game so I dunno what would be permissible other than a tweet or blog post.
Likely be unceremonious, with a big update or an expansion would be my guess. Probably just a "it's back on PSN too" type of deal.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Unless the game only has 1 developer, it is rarely if ever, one persons fault

He was the head of all things "Fighting games" at Capcom and was put on charge of a new IP and building a new engine for the "PS4/Xbox One" generation.

Deep Down disappeared, Phanta Rei also disappeared and they had Capcom Div1 making RE Engine and pretty much all fighting games released by Capcom this gen either had a disappointing launch (SFV) or tanked terribly (MvCI).

When you are the one in his position, it's your fault for all these major fuck ups, there's a reason why the fighting games division was so bad while the RE/DMC/MH teams did really well in the past generation.

Street Fighter V slow recovery was nice to see, but Capcom does not want another SF5 with the next entry.

Portodutch

Feb 17, 2021
Indeed I hope the benefits of the PS5 platform will allow games to come out notably faster.

Going by the info Jason provided it seems that pre-production for Naughty Dogs next big title didn't start until after TLOU2 finished. I suppose we don't know if they're out of pre-production and are in the production phase now. They've got Factions 2, TLOU Remake and probably a PS5 version of TLOU2 they're working on so even if the next big game is in production right now not all of their staff would be focused on it yet.

I would think the only thing they might be able to show this year for the next big game is a target render. It'd be something to wet our appetites and keep in the back of our minds at least.

I rather they dont show anything if its still years away.
I like this format more of games being shown and released in a short period (1 year)

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
In comparison with the PS4 i feel like they dont really need to as the spread of the first party game is better now.
For 2021 and 2022 we still have the following games that need to be revealed or only had a announcement trailer last year
Horizon
GT
GoW
Factions

In 2022 they can start announcing games for 2023.
They really are much better prepared now
Some of us have been saying this when the June 2020 showcase happened.

They're already set for the first 2 years...with more to come we dont even know about yet.

200.gif

nujabeans

Dec 2, 2017
Damn, Insomniac went from great 1st party studio acquisition to possibly THE premier WWS studio in just a couple of years. Perhaps ND is still the critical "art house" gem of WWS, but in terms of output Insomniac is unmatched.

If R&C:RA is a hit commercially and critically, that would seal it.
  1. Insomniac
  2. Naughty Dog
  3. Santa Monica/Guerilla
  4. Sucker Punch
  5. Sony Bend

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He was the head of all things "Fighting games" at Capcom and was put on charge of a new IP and building a new engine for the "PS4/Xbox One" generation.

Deep Down disappeared, Phanta Rei also disappeared and they had Capcom Div1 making RE Engine and pretty much all fighting games released by Capcom this gen either had a disappointing launch (SFV) or tanked terribly (MvCI).

When you are the one in his position, it's your fault for all these major fuck ups, there's a reason why the fighting games division was so bad while the RE/DMC/MH teams did really well in the past generation.

Street Fighter V slow recovery was nice to see, but Capcom does not want another SF5 with the next entry.

As per my other post, I'm not saying he's not responsible when shit happened, just that the games he worked on that bombed were made by a ton of people, and let's not forget that Capcom wasn't REALLY doing that great for quite some time. All their franchises were at their lowest points. Hell back in the 7th gen Street Fighter IV was Capcom's saving grace and was the biggest fighting game at the time.

All I'm saying is, Ono, as the face of the FG department would always have to take the fall for what went wrong but I don't feel it's fair for him to shoulder all of the blame.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Damn, Insomniac went from great 1st party studio acquisition to possibly THE premier WWS studio in just a couple of years. Perhaps ND is still the critical "art house" gem of WWS, but in terms of output Insomniac is unmatched.

1. Insomniac
  2. Naughty Dog
  3. Santa Monica/Guerilla
  4. Sucker Punch
  5. Sony Bend

Insomniac gave us this in the last 6 months:

- Released a smaller Spider-Man game called Miles Morales. (released both for the PS4 and PS5) In the USA it surpassed sales of even TLOU2.
- Released a fully remastered Spider-Man game based on the 2018 original for the PS5 with a lot of rework done to the original, including a new face for the main character, ray tracing, lighting, etc...
- Due to a simple tweet request, they added a 60fps mode with Ray Tracing for Miles Morales, not included in the original release;
- Due to fan requests, they added save file transfer from the original PS4 game of Spider-Man to the remastered one.
- Miles Morales was updated to include tissue deformation, for more realistic muscle work (i think this was it?);
- As soon as Ratchet & Clank is announced as the Play at Home game, they release a 60 fps mode for the PS5;
-7 months after the release of their highly successful Miles Morales game AND the remastered Spider-Man game, they will release yet another full AAA game: a new Ratchet & Clak game, which just got a new trailer and is already being regarded as some of the best visuals ever done in the gaming industry.

Please tell me of any developer that did as much as they did for the past few months. I can wait.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
I caved and bought a psvr adapter. Wasn't really expensive($15), it claims to be UL certified. Hope I don't kill my ps5. lol

May 17, 2018
Insomniac are still two full studios, correct? One in CA and one in NC? That would explain the level of output. Very curious to see what the rest of the gen looks like for them.

Oct 31, 2017
So Lost Soul Aside is one of the fruits of a multi-year China Hero Project, huh? Investments will pay off and this could help them considerably in China depending on how they do this.

I've no idea if these games are making a bigger splash in China than other areas.

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020

1. Insomniac
  2. Naughty Dog
  3. Santa Monica/Guerilla
  4. Sucker Punch
  5. Sony Bend
I don't really think SSM and Guerrilla should be in the same category just yet. Guerrilla has definitely become one of the key pillars of SIE, but historically SSM has been far more central and games like God of War were platform defining in ways that Killzone never reached. I think if anything ND and Insomniac are tied in importance right now for different reasons (Insomniac is a pure "fun" style game dev and has ridiculous output, whilst ND leads the charge on the critically acclaimed narrative side) and the number 2 spot should be SMM.

starblue

Oct 28, 2017
Im the only one that Square Enix Store EU didn't send the Snow White edition of Nier Replicant ? And they don't reply any emails Truly disappointed. I don't know what I should do in this case, never happened to me this situation. :(

IonMagus

Feb 18, 2021
Im the only one that Square Enix Store EU didn't send the Snow White edition of Nier Replicant ? And they don't reply any emails Truly disappointed. I don't know what I should do in this case, never happened to me this situation. :(

A few of my EU Twitter mutals had the same problem. SE Europe Store being shitty as usual :(

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017

Emails have always been slow. Usually takes 2 or 3 days before a response especially after a new release.

nujabeans

Dec 2, 2017
I don't really think SSM and Guerrilla should be in the same category just yet. Guerrilla has definitely become one of the key pillars of SIE, but historically SSM has been far more central and games like God of War were platform defining in ways that Killzone never reached. I think if anything ND and Insomniac are tied in importance right now for different reasons (Insomniac is a pure "fun" style game dev and has ridiculous output, whilst ND leads the charge on the critically acclaimed narrative side) and the number 2 spot should be SMM.

Looking at what ND has done with TLOU2, it's hard to argue against what they've done in pushing the gaming medium. Yes, maybe they are up there with Insomniac.

zolee

Oct 2, 2020

- Released a smaller Spider-Man game called Miles Morales. (released both for the PS4 and PS5) In the USA it surpassed sales of even TLOU2.
- Released a fully remastered Spider-Man game based on the 2018 original for the PS5 with a lot of rework done to the original, including a new face for the main character, ray tracing, lighting, etc...
- Due to a simple tweet request, they added a 60fps mode with Ray Tracing for Miles Morales, not included in the original release;
- Due to fan requests, they added save file transfer from the original PS4 game of Spider-Man to the remastered one.
- Miles Morales was updated to include tissue deformation, for more realistic muscle work (i think this was it?);
- As soon as Ratchet & Clank is announced as the Play at Home game, they release a 60 fps mode for the PS5;
-7 months after the release of their highly successful Miles Morales game AND the remastered Spider-Man game, they will release yet another full AAA game: a new Ratchet & Clak game, which just got a new trailer and is already being regarded as some of the best visuals ever done in the gaming industry.

Please tell me of any developer that did as much as they did for the past few months. I can wait.
Insomniac is crazy, imagine if they have a launch window title for PSVR2 XD

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
The next milestones for the Sony studios is whether or not they can successfully transition into a multi-project studio well.

Insomniac is already there, GG supposedly kickstarted theirs after Horizon shipped but we've yet to see the fruits of it, ND is in early stages of trying it (again) with growing pains and SSM is early days?

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
IG seem to have there pre production down to a science , so they able to move members fast and there hardly any down time .
Which is something ND should learn , here hoping that SSM and GG also get to hang of it like IG has.

2CL4Mars

Nov 9, 2018
Sony is missing a open world crime game, hell the industry. The days of countless GTA clones is over and I miss those times.

So many cities to explore, characters, cultures. Yes they are basic in their gameplay but I want to get in a car, shoot a bit, walk around and experience the world.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
The next milestones for the Sony studios is whether or not they can successfully transition into a multi-project studio well.

Insomniac is already there, GG supposedly kickstarted theirs after Horizon shipped but we've yet to see the fruits of it, ND is in early stages of trying it (again) with growing pains and SSM is early days?

Just saying that my self if ND , SSM , and GG can get on IG level when comes to that it really will be amazing for WWS.
IG there already .
We have to see how things go with GG .
SSM trying again along with ND so it will take a few years to see how it all work out .

s y

Nov 8, 2017
Sony is missing a open world crime game, hell the industry. The days of countless GTA clones is over and I miss those times.

So many cities to explore, characters, cultures. Yes they are basic in their gameplay but I want to get in a car, shoot a bit, walk around and experience the world.
Hangar 13 is working on a new Mafia game

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
no one touched Naughty Dog yet imo.

hit after hit raising the bar since Ps3 non stop, crazy insane production value and frequent releases.

Undrey

Oct 29, 2017
Insomniac's the only studio whose output hasn't disappointed me this past gen. They're at the top rn imo.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine if Insomniac is able to get Spider-Man 2 out the door for holiday 2022 along with a little something for PSVR2. It isn't crazy to imagine with their track record.

Absolute king shit.

Knight

Jul 26, 2020
Italy

1. Insomniac
  2. Naughty Dog
  3. Santa Monica/Guerilla
  4. Sucker Punch
  5. Sony Bend
Insomniac acquisition is definitely one of the best deals in the videogames industry. Already playing a key role during PS5 first year.

no one touched Naughty Dog yet imo.

hit after hit raising the bar since Ps3 non stop, crazy insane production value and frequent releases.
In my eyes Naughty Dog are on a league of their own. They're simply beyond.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017

Are you saying they should make another Getaway game? Because I'd love a gangster game in London (a more grounded London, not what Ubi did with Legion). I can imagine a gritty crime game with PS5's console power + current Sony writing being amazing. I'd love that.

Doesn't even need to be in London, could be any city (well, outside of a few well trodden ones in America)

Deleted member 15973

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Naughty Dog release Factions 2 😭 .....in my dreams.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
ND, where the fuck is Factions FFS? Please, just give it to me. Would have much rather had Factions than TLOU Part II. sips coffee

1. Insomniac
  2. Naughty Dog
  3. Santa Monica/Guerilla
  4. Sucker Punch
  5. Sony Bend
How well did Miles Morales sell?

Oct 27, 2017

Agreed.

There is GTA but GTA since 5 has been MP focused and disappointing. Who knows when 6 will come...

I remember when we had Driver, Saints Row, The Godfather, Sleeping Dogs, True Crime, Mercenaries etc etc

An open world crime based game made by Sony would be the dream. Their polish and developers are some of the best in the business.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Insomniac is probably Sony's most commercially important studio at the moment. As mentioned earlier in the thread, Miles Morales has already outsold The Last of Us 2. The Spider-Man series, despite being developed under license, is by far PlayStation's biggest game now.

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
Insomniac is by far PlayStation's best developer. I have been saying this for months. It isn't even close. Not even a knock against SSM and ND. Insomniac is simply unrivaled when it comes to releasing extremely high quality games and unparalleled output.
100% agree. The fact that we aren't getting anything new from ND other than Factions and a Remake (neither of which really interest me much) until at least midway through this gen really seals the deal for me. And Insomniac does it with less employees (IIRC) and less crunch.

ND may have more games at the top of my GOAT lists, but Insomniac is up there for me as well, and those other factors easily push them over the top, imo.

My problem is that Persona high school simulator portion does not appeal to me. I can understand other games from Square, but I Feel that a mix of Sony narrative focus plus a good menu jrpg in a mature setting would be awesome. Not to dunk other games, but I find it really hard to play a majority of jrpgs now a days. They cater to anime crowd, and I am just burnt out by them.
Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I can't enjoy most JRPGs these days, even though I like the gameplay and design of the genre. The fan service and creepy anime tropes are just too much most of the time. I think it's a combination of me getting older and having less tolerance for that shit, and the genre genuinely getting worse about that shit too (Fire Emblem is my prime example of this). So I would welcome a big budget JRPG from Sony if it wasn't aimed at horney 13 year old boys.

At least Final Fantasy is still tolerable most of the time and I still need to try Dragon Quest, but that looks good.

I'd say the bigger priority is getting something to scratch the Skyrim itch, personally. Not even Bethesda has properly scratched that itch for me in a generation lol (Fallout 4 was a huge letdown to me). Really excited about Avowed and I hope Bethesda rights the ship with Starfield and ES6, but obviously I won't be playing any of those on Playstation. Not really hopeful on this front either though, considering no publishers/devs even took a serious attempt at that kind of game in the decade after Skyrim.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
Insomniac is probably Sony's most commercially important studio at the moment. As mentioned earlier in the thread, Miles Morales has already outsold The Last of Us 2. The Spider-Man series, despite being developed under license, is by far PlayStation's biggest game now.
Yeah but they don't have to share profits with anyone else with Naughty Dogs games. Who knows what the split is with Marvel.

From Tlou remastered to UC4, LL and part II, ND has made a looooot of money for papa Sony. Miles has outsold part II in the us but iiirc only Spiderman 2018 has made more money than Tlou Part II for Sony in the U.S(since MM was $50)

Spider-Man is definitely playstations evergreen game for the foreseeable future but there's a reason ND probably has the most autonomy of any PS studio. Original, successful IP matter a lot.

I wouldn't call Insomniac(as much as I like their output and efficiency) their most commercially important studio when a licensed IP of the biggest superhero in the world is the only time they've experienced the type of commercial success that Naughty Dog has seen for the last 10 years.

Last edited:

Muitnorts

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I'd only be interested in a Sleeping Dogs sequel. But man would I love a Sleeping Dogs sequel.

Status
Not open for further replies.