• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Battlefront 2 and fallen order are both around 10 million in sales. Those are all on every consoles and pc. There's no guarantee that having a Star Wars property as a PlayStation exclusive would double those sales

Those figures are over a year old at this point.

The point is Star Wars is massive, and a Sony-backed AAA Star Wars game would be a runaway success.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like Disney wants to make a bunch of Star Wars games deals according to Grubb.

What if Sony is one of them (SSM's second projet ? Bend ? GG ? )
Yeah no thanks. Sony already has Spider-Man, it would suck if another Sony studio would be anchored down wasting their time on someone elses I.Ps.

In an interview I believe Sony Pictures was talking about boosting the value of their inhouse I.Ps, I am also in agreement with that for their one Sony initiative.
Better to create and grow your own I.Ps and their value, have full control over it and its future then to work away all day on someone elses temporarily.

Insomniac is so efficient that them working on Spider-Man doesn't stop them from making other games that aren't licensed but other Sony WWS aren't able to produce multiple titles, let alone franchises so tossing them on someone elses licensed I.Ps would mean that would be the only thing they'd be working on rather then polishing their own skills or building up their own I.Ps.

kostacurtas

Oct 27, 2017
in general, i'm more in favor of new IP's over licensed games anyway. If SSM or ND want to make a scifi space adventure game... let them do it. We don't need to call it star wars.
I agree but what Sony will do if Cory (for example) wishes to make a Star Wars game?

The potential of such a project could really huge.

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
I really would not want Sony to make a Star Wars game. If they're going to invest more on these licensed IP they don't own, they need more studios. They do not have the capacity currently to do more of these games without it coming at the expense of their own IP development. Would be really disappointing personally, and would seem short-sighted imo.

Hoping to play more Returnal tonight. Didn't have the chance yesterday. Hopefully I finally break my streak of really shitty RNG drops so I can beat the second boss. Almost beat him last time with only 125% integrity, no healing items, no astronaut, and no useful combat artifacts or parasites. Really, really jealous of some of the builds I see people getting lol. 15 hours in and I've only had 1 run where I got what I'd consider a decent build.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean is it really a waste of time if the studio wants to do it? Remember Insomniac picked Spider-man right?

Cory has openly stated interest in doing a Mando game. Now I don't believe it's happening but if the people WANT to do it. It's not a waste of time. If that's the case yall should be against an MGS remake lol.

ArchLector

Apr 10, 2020
While I 100% respect her desire as an artist to work on experimental games, she has a legitimate talent for pulling off big spectacle productions. Kind of like Sakaguchi - I'm glad Amy is still creating, but I'll certainly miss her fingerprint in the AAA space.
Well AAA development is grueling and creatively taxing. Lots of leads leave at some point in their career, from Dan Houser to former Bioware leads to Bruce and so on and on. Ultimately they should leave if their hearts are not in it.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I mean is it really a waste of time if the studio wants to do it? Remember Insomniac picked Spider-man right?

Cory has openly stated interest in doing a Mando game. Now I don't believe it's happening but if the people WANT to do it. It's not a waste of time. If that's the case yall should be against an MGS remake lol.
A studio is more then just one person and yes for the company itself it is a waste of time beyond short time profits. Sure you can't force them and choice is great and all but it isn't a wise choice imho. They can still choose to do so but they could've tried and made another franchise or grow an already existing one instead.

So imho that time spent was a waste. It isn't even about having it as an exclusive, the game you make that is your own I.P can be on every platform on the planet, it is about growing your own I.Ps value and worth, time wasted on another already popular franchise that doesn't need that is indeed time wasted.

It is like saying Disney should work on Warner Bros I.Ps rather then their own, no one would think that as some great idea for the long term. It is quite short sighted.

Also I am against a MGS remake too :P

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Would Amy even want to work with Sony again?
I certainly hope so, as she's brilliant, but I'm not so sure that split was all sugar and rainbows. I'd love for those feelings to be wrong and that was all just the usual internet misconception machine in full action.

But for me? I'd love Square-Enix to approach Amy and get a new AAA Soul Reaver cooking. Or hell, I wonder what she could do with the Parasite Eve series...?
I don't see why her issue would be with Sony instead of Naughty Dog.

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021
Yeah Spider-Man is not exactly a waste of time when it's selling more than any other game SIE publishes..

Sony owns the movie rights for Spider-man though, when a new game or movie comes out it benefits sony directly. It's not the case if Mandalorian season 3 comes out

I hope this is true, they said (the leakers) that this would be revealed in a SoP later this month. Dreams + and Stray are also exciting if true and it makes sense

KingK

Oct 27, 2017

Hey, I've been against an MGS remake since the rumors started! Lol

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Juan Lugo-Ruiz joined ND as well (Character TD/Rigger).

mQH2qZ2.jpg

I doubt it'll happen, but seeing these hires makes me wonder what ND could do if they made a more animated-style visual approach.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Of course your I.P won't likely ever be as big as Star Wars or whatever popular franchise you want to license but at least you will have placed more worth in it then not creating or investing in it in the first place.

Sony's WWS shouldn't be locked down on something like that, let those big companies make their own I.P games.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
I really would not want Sony to make a Star Wars game. If they're going to invest more on these licensed IP they don't own, they need more studios. They do not have the capacity currently to do more of these games without it coming at the expense of their own IP development. Would be really disappointing personally, and would seem short-sighted imo.

Hoping to play more Returnal tonight. Didn't have the chance yesterday. Hopefully I finally break my streak of really shitty RNG drops so I can beat the second boss. Almost beat him last time with only 125% integrity, no healing items, no astronaut, and no useful combat artifacts or parasites. Really, really jealous of some of the builds I see people getting lol. 15 hours in and I've only had 1 run where I got what I'd consider a decent build.

Well they don't have to do it in house .
IG was not in house when they made spidey .

Oct 25, 2017
A studio is more then just one person and yes for the company itself it is a waste of time beyond short time profits. Sure you can't force them and choice is great and all but it isn't a wise choice imho. They can still choose to do so but they could've tried and made another franchise or grow an already existing one instead.

So imho that time spent was a waste. It isn't even about having it as an exclusive, the game you make that is your own I.P can be on every platform on the planet, it is about growing your own I.Ps value and worth, time wasted on another already popular franchise that doesn't need that is indeed time wasted.

It is like saying Disney should work on Warner Bros I.Ps rather then their own, no one would think that as some great idea for the long term. It is quite short sighted.

Also I am against a MGS remake too :P

Again is it a waste of time if the Studio lead wants to do it? Would you just Spider-man is a waste of time?

Again I don't think it's a waste of time if the game has the potential to sell more than SIE's own IPs. Star Wars is yet another game that would get people to buy the console and game

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Again is it a waste of time if the Studio lead wants to do it? Would you just Spider-man is a waste of time?

Again I don't think it's a waste of time if the game has the potential to sell more than SIE's own IPs. Star Wars is yet another game that would get people to buy the console and game

I agree with this if the studio wants to do it sure no problem other wise new IP.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure that's fake, but i'll definitely give them creative points for including Media.Vision as a developer for one of those games. Not just going for the household names is something you rarely see from leaks.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure that's fake, but i'll definitely give them creative points for including Media.Vision as a developer for one of those games. Not just going for the household names is something you rarely see from leaks.

True but the thing that gets me. That list doesn't even mention Horizon FW and it's just way too many publishers on that list. I doubt anyone just has that information. Sounds like a reddit "leak"

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017

It is a waste of time for a certain aspect of I.P growth. In terms of polishing talent, gaining experience, earning profits, it isn't.

But that time in terms of I.P growth and value was lost and can't be redeemed. It could've been used to make a new I.P or invest in another already created one that Sony actually owns.

It wouldn't likely ever get to Star Wars levels of values but some growth in value of your I.P library is better then none.

Disney in terms of I.P growth and value would just have their juggernauts become even more valuable while Sony will be twiddling their thumbs wasting away a studio to grow another companies successful I.Ps.

It is what separates Disney and their I.P growth initiative to Sony. You wouldn't see Disney ever working on other people's I.Ps instead of investing in their own now would you?

It seems arguing for the fact that one wants a game of a franchise that is loved made by talented people under the the idea of "choice" for said studio to do so is the right thing to do, but beyond profits said game isn't truly theirs.

Devs also come and go. If they really want to make a Star Wars game for example and they had the talent, eventually they'd find a studio that would make it. Disney is big they can afford to do so and invest in so.

For me idc what type of game said studio makes, what type of genre too, what platform it releases on, but if it is their own I.P that is a way more better investment then working away on another companies I.P that is already uber popular and successful to begin with.

Eventually some head dev will move on and that licensing contract will end too leaving the studio with nothing.

Yes, that includes Konami I.Ps too.

Last edited:

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
SO is one of my fave games from last gen. I'd be all over a remaster, but I won't get excited until we see something more concrete.

Also, no way they remaster SO before Resistance.😅

HebrewHammer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Insomniac output is absurd, even if the rumored Sunset isn't true.

Not sure where all this Star Wars stuff is coming from though... what'd I miss?

Cyberia

Nov 8, 2017
Haven Studios (Jade Raymond's new venture) has welcomed a few new starters to their team.

Former General Manager of Google's Stadia Games Sebastien Puel started this month and is one of the co-founders.

Corey May is the studio's World/IP Director. Previously: Google Stadia Games' Head of Creative Services & Publishing.

Jonathan Dankoff is Haven Studios' Insights Director. And yes, he worked previously as well at Google Stadia (Staff UX Researcher).

Both Erwann Le Rouzic and Francis Denoncourt joined the studio as Concept Artist. Both worked previously at...Google Stadia.

Pierre-Marc Bérubé joined as Software Engineer. Previously: Graphics Programmer at Google Stadia.

Deleted member 35631

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 8, 2017
They're talking about how Ratchet is the last PS5 game with a date. We obviously know about GT7, Horizon and GoW, but none of them are dated. Assuming nothing has changed between now and Ratchet, then after its release it'll be the first time since the PS5 has launched that we don't know when a new SIE game will release.

We are in May and E3 is coming soon. I know SIE is not going, but they will likely do an event to announce new things. People are just impatient and want to know everything at once.

It's like E3 leaks, they search for things before the event, but then everything leaks and they complain that there were no surprises!

Patience! Sony knows what they are doing and they are working on it. Specially after many things had to move, change and slow down with COVID.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't Sunset Overdrive full of Xbox and kinect references?
They could rework the game and remove the references I guess but I really do think the list is fake.

It feels more like they grabbed speculation, discussion and ideas from several months, plus added recent events like the Mitchel's vs Machine movie and made a list out of that.

Jul 10, 2020
Colin Moriarty (yeah I know) just said the Insomniac stuff is fake as hell. He knows personally.

Colin knows Ted Price and other Insomniac people personally.

Probably best to let it go for now and focus on Jimbo & Clank for now.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, only PS4/PS5 for all. Its fake anyway but obviously Sony wouldnt announce a Switch Version during their Direct
lol oops I saw Xbox and I thought that was a platform not the Xbox Studio publisher

Still I think that list is fake because it seems like a summary of recent discussion points gathered into one list rather then anything surprising.

Status
Not open for further replies.