Status
Not open for further replies.

Osaragi

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
No doubt. I get that people are disappointed but the sheer level of outrage is absurd, even on Era. These games will still be great and a huge improvement over their predecessors if Horizon FW is anything to go by. Not just from a technical perspective either.
Indeed, also these were all games slated for release in the first year of the console's life cycle. They were delayed becasue of some obvious reasons (the pandemic). At the same time they have released 5 next-gen only titles. So I wouldn't extrapolate anything from these games being cross-gen for now.

Though that somewhat misleading marketing is completely on them. And in case of GT7 they messed up. It's fine deciding to release it on last gen, but then don't commit on it being next-gen only in your marketing.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Once God of War, Horizon and Gran Turismo are out the door, I suspect there will be a stretch where the first party line-up is mostly XDev and VR stuff.

I imagine the next wave of big first party software to start hitting around 2023 and beyond (PixelOpus, Guerrilla's shooter, Bend, Santa Monica and Naughty Dog's next large projects, etc.)

Spider-Man 2 is kind of a wildcard. Insomniac is absurd and I can genuinely picture it coming out holiday 2022 but that's too bold of a prediction to confidently make at the moment.

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
If London Studio or Bend can put out their new IPs by 2023, that would certainly be and impressive turnaround.
Well Blood & Truth isn't a particularly big game. Depending on what they're making I wouldn't expect it to take more than 4 years to put out.
I fully expect Bend's new game to be out in 4 years. They have the open world experience now and hopefully their new leads are better at project management (Garvin was partially responsible for the bloat of the game and seemingly kept adding and changing things throughout).

edit: I do think their content pipeline is going to be unfortunately timed. It's quite possible that the likely weakest year for content (2023) will happen right as MS begins to drop a few heavy hitters. I can foresee 2023 being a rough time until we get the announcement of whatever ND is cooking.

mercuralia

Sep 30, 2020
Portugal
Well Blood & Truth isn't a particularly big game. Depending on what they're making I wouldn't expect it to take more than 4 years to put out.
I fully expect Bend's new game to be out in 4 years. They have the open world experience now and hopefully their new leads are better at project management (Garvin was partially responsible for the bloat of the game and seemingly kept adding and changing things throughout).

I'm not very familiar with Bend as a studio. Do you know roughly how many people worked there on Days Gone, and whether they've expanded since then?

The simple fact that they're not doing a Days Gone sequel raised my interest in their project.

Det

Jul 30, 2020
Of the 25 PSS games currently in development, I would assume the half they indicated that are new IPs will be true next gen exclusives. It's with the sequels for multi million sellers where early on you don't wanna lose those buyers that weren't able to transition to next gen yet. Though TLOU Part III if it happens wil be a true next gen sequel as well since it will likely come at the end of the gen again. A Ghost of Tsushima sequel I think will come late enough into the gen as well that I don't think that will be cross gen.

The other games I think that will be cross gen are TLOU Factions (Remake is harder to predict but I think would be cross gen as well so they could package a Part I and II) and if Spider-Man really can somehow hit 2022, no way it isn't cross gen. Bend I think is definitely going to be next gen only and in a sense Days Gone 2 being rejected is good news for those who want a true next gen experience.

I honestly think part of the TLOU1 Remake logic is to bring it up to par with Part II and release on PC as a bundle (along with PS4/5 of course), with factions (MP needs that player count).

Outside of HFB, GoW2, GT7, and Factions - which are cross-gen (Factions likely but not confirmed), we have no real idea what the other 23 or so games from PS Studios are in development, at least officially.

Confirmed:
- Bend - new IP
- PixelOpus - new game on UE5 with Sony Pictures
- Haven Studios - new IP
- Firewalk Studio - new MP IP

Assumed/indicated by job listings:
- SP - GoT2
- Insomniac - Spiderman 2
- GG - MP game
- SSM - new IP
- ND - TLOU1 Remake + new game/IP (?)
- London Studios - new game
- Team Asobi - something Astrobot related

Det

Jul 30, 2020
I'm not very familiar with Bend as a studio. Do you know roughly how many people worked there on Days Gone, and whether they've expanded since then?

The simple fact that they're not doing a Days Gone sequel raised my interest in their project.

My hope is they can turn their new project around significantly quicker than Days Gone, purely by the comment from Hermen that they've learnt/built a lot of the open world systems to expand upon for their new IP.

Trim

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sony really messed up with the communication. They lied about some games being PS5 only and changed plans for some because they feared the revenue of those games won't be enough on PS5 alone.

But not only we have the same thing every generation, but also a lot of people can't buy a PS5 even if they can afford it. Some people should remember that we are not getting a PS6 before 2026 at the earliest and that a PS4 verion of an AAA game will not ruin anyone's experience.

Or maybe Sony should have kept the PS5 exclusivity and reduce drastically the budget for those games if they still want to make massive profits ?

Det

Jul 30, 2020

I think they had around 110 - 130 during Days Gone development. Not sure what their current studio size is, but they have around 20 openings listed on their website.

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
Once God of War, Horizon and Gran Turismo are out the door, I suspect there will be a stretch where the first party line-up is mostly XDev and VR stuff.

I imagine the next wave of big first party software to start hitting around 2023 and beyond (PixelOpus, Guerrilla's shooter, Bend, Santa Monica and Naughty Dog's next large projects, etc.)

Spider-Man 2 is kind of a wildcard. Insomniac is absurd and I can genuinely picture it coming out holiday 2022 but that's too bold of a prediction to confidently make at the moment.
Personally I want Insomniac to take its time with Spider-Man 2 and really evolve the formula. I want a much bigger New York (add Brooklyn and Manhattan), Peter and Miles both being playable and being able to switch between the two in free roam like in GTA V (but with almost instant loading), significantly improved side missions (add more marvel villains)....

And I'm not saying it needs to have those mechanics specifically, but I'm hoping for significant changes and not just an iterative sequel, which is why 2023 would be what I'm looking at

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020

I know they expanded massively (one of the issues with Days Gone was the amount of fresh blood they took in and the corporate culture changing). Can't remember exact figures but somewhere between 100-200. They've also been recruiting since Days Gone came out so it's likely higher now. A lot of it will depend on the scale of their next game but I'm pretty sure that they're still using UE so development should be reasonably painless on the tech side of things.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
If Factions is going to a multi-player based off TLOU 2 I would 100% expect to be cross-gen. It would be foolish to think otherwise.

There are potential reasons for it to be next-gen only, like if they decided that it needed to be 60fps for everyone for balance or if they wanted it to be huge in scope (battle royale with hundreds of infected NPC enemies or whatever). But yeah, it's still probably cross-gen.

RaySpace

Banned
May 9, 2021
Just entertaining the idea it exists, but if Silent Hill indeed exists, I don't see it being released until 2023. Games these days take a long time to develop, and with COVID messing up things, among other things, I don't know. Just guessing. 😭
I'd be shocked if it doesn't come out next year. SH games aren't the type of games that take too long to develop.

Also, with the RE4 remake getting soft-rebooted and pushed till 2023, next year is the perfect time to release Silent Hill imo.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I feel like factions has turned into a way bigger concept that just simple PVP. I feel like it has PVE elements now.

mercuralia

Sep 30, 2020
Portugal
I think they had around 110 - 130 during Days Gone development. Not sure what their current studio size is, but they have around 20 openings listed on their website.
I know they expanded massively (one of the issues with Days Gone was the amount of fresh blood they took in and the corporate culture changing). Can't remember exact figures but somewhere between 100-200. They've also been recruiting since Days Gone came out so it's likely higher now. A lot of it will depend on the scale of their next game but I'm pretty sure that they're still using UE so development should be reasonably painless on the tech side of things.

Thank you.

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021
It strikes me as a bit odd that every job opening they have is for a senior level positions. There are zero openings that aren't "senior" "lead" or "director" level.

Seems like the new guard took over things there and they're putting the people in place they think will put them on a better path. I couldn't help but read into a lot of the culture clashing stuff they kept bringing up in the interviews after the bloomberg piece.

I think they'll be better off with new leadership

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It strikes me as a bit odd that every job opening they have is for a senior level positions. There are zero openings that aren't "senior" "lead" or "director" level.

It's entirely possible that the state Bend is in requires companies by law to post any job openings online, even if they fully intend to hire or promote internally. Illinois is like that, for example. I once had a job built for me by my boss and they still had to put a token job posting up on their external hiring page to comply with state law, even though they had zero intention of interviewing anyone else for the job.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
The OT is burning thru pages now, silver lining and everything, lol.

I didnt see it as bad news, just news. Cancelled games are bad news. Delayed games are disappointing, but I dont think anyone expected God of War this year.

What it does show, again, is that Sony planned of having an ....insane....lineup for 2021. Of games, cross gen and exclusives.

And I agree with those saying I dont think many expected Factions to be PS5 exclusive. Factions for TLoU 1 still gets played alot as is.

WhiteNovember

Aug 15, 2018
I feel like factions has turned into a way bigger concept that just simple PVP. I feel like it has PVE elements now.
There where no no infected in Factions 1, right? There are so many ways they (and human enemies) could be added to the Mp in a positive way. Horde Modes, Battle Royales (probably with a smaller scale), as addition on maps in "normale modes" (like Tdm) or something like the coop campaigns of Uc3 or tue Raid/Mercenary modes of RE. Someone creative can of course come up with way cooler stuff 😅

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
Combination of the old guard leading and a ramping up of actual production if I had to make a guess. The studio was pretty small and likely closely knit for a really long time before they expanded rapidly for Days Gone so there were probably quite a few not happy with the direction the studio was taking (that is to say, "Too many durn millennials" if we go by how Garvin was talking lol).

RaySpace

Banned
May 9, 2021
Of course it has. If Factions was just the same thing as it was in TLOU1, then the game would have been out by now.

Going by the way ND and others have talked about it, I'd expect Factions to be an ambitious full price release with a scope well beyond the handful of PvP modes featured in TLOU1.

And PS5 only.

Last edited:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I saw a tweet about Druckmann joining Sony Pictures. Since I haven't seen much mention of it here, I assume it's not a big deal and just an additional gig. If he actually had left Naughty Dog I'm sure I would have seen a thread here.

That sounds like someone being snarky and sarcastic about Druckmann's games being "interactive movies".

If Neil did collaborate with SPE, it's presumably just a contract for the TLOU TV series, which we already know he's working on.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I saw a tweet about Druckmann joining Sony Pictures. Since I haven't seen much mention of it here, I assume it's not a big deal and just an additional gig. If he actually had left Naughty Dog I'm sure I would have seen a thread here.
Its a fake tweet, just looked it up because I had no idea what you were talking about lol.
Someone is impersonating Sony Pictures it seems.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Do we know if they're all working on Factions or if a portion of the studio has started on their next big game?
Small part of the studio is working in pre-production. It sounds like another part is doing TLOUremake and the other part is doing factions.
There where no no infected in Factions 1, right? There are so many ways they (and human enemies) could be added to the Mp in a positive way. Horde Modes, Battle Royales (probably with a smaller scale), as addition on maps in "normale modes" (like Tdm) or something like the coop campaigns of Uc3 or tue Raid/Mercenary modes of RE. Someone creative can of course come up with way cooler stuff 😅
Right Def could be a lot they come up with.
Of course it has. If Factions was just the same thing as it was in TLOU1, then the game would have been out by now.

Going by the way ND and others have talked about it, I'd expect Factions to be an ambitious full price release with a scope well beyond the handful of PvP featured in TLOU1.

And PS5 only.
Yeah I wouldn't be shocked if this one moves PS5 only.

Chris Metal

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
49932818907_98af43f17c_o.png

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Sony really messed up with the communication. They lied about some games being PS5 only and changed plans for some because they feared the revenue of those games won't be enough on PS5 alone.

But not only we have the same thing every generation, but also a lot of people can't buy a PS5 even if they can afford it. Some people should remember that we are not getting a PS6 before 2026 at the earliest and that a PS4 verion of an AAA game will not ruin anyone's experience.

Or maybe Sony should have kept the PS5 exclusivity and reduce drastically the budget for those games if they still want to make massive profits ?

They made the best choices for gamers here IMO. Millions more people getting access to games they wouldn't otherwise considering the insane demand and shortages is a very good thing.

Obviously last year was a very difficult and complex time to launch a next-gen console, but the communication certainly could have been better.

Doran

Jun 9, 2018
This is actually the second time God of War 2 came out for a previous-gen console after the launch of the new system.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Man I am blessed to have Mystic on YouTube. PS news, good PS videos, no toxic behavior or fanboy warring, just a clean and expertly run show.

If sometimes I am too busy to catch up on every single news related thing I can just watch his Friday show to catch up instead.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Man I am blessed to have Mystic on YouTube. PS news, good PS videos, no toxic behavior or fanboy warring, just a clean and expertly run show.

If sometimes I am too busy to catch up on every single news related thing I can just watch his Friday show to catch up instead.

Who is Mystic? Could you link the channel?

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021

I will check them out, because I've noticed a lot of you tubers have gone anti-PlayStation lately. I'm not sure if its it's the PlayStation headlines that just get more clicks or that its easy to jump on the leak hypetrain now with microsoft but its impossible to find good gaming channels thats not polluted with this stuff now

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona

I always enjoy the videos when he buys blindly random games.
But yeah, by far the best PS youtuber

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Who is Mystic? Could you link the channel?
I posted the weekly Friday video in my prior post but I'll link it again

I will check them out, because I've noticed a lot of you tubers have gone anti-PlayStation lately. I'm not sure if its it's the PlayStation headlines that just get more clicks or that its easy to jump on the leak hypetrain now with microsoft but its impossible to find good gaming channels thats not polluted with this stuff now
Yeah Mystic is the most sensible, when there was the other doom and gloom stuff for Sony he had a reasonable video explaining how far fetched things were but also gave good arguments, etc...

He also doesn't blindly support all of SIE's actions either.

He is a sound guy. He quite busy too you don't see him on podcasts or on social media so maybe that is one of the reason why he doesn't get influenced by the current video game channel climate. That and he seems to be just a good guy.

He has also been doing this for awhile, since the PS3 days so he found his groove long ago and is quite professional.

Status
Not open for further replies.