Status
Not open for further replies.

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021
Has anyone in this thread played Chicory? I think that game deserves all the talk and hype over many other indie games: it's the real deal. Just platinum'd it today and it's utterly fantastic. It starts slow, gives off a very simplistic impression but it evolves into a massive Link to the Past-ish adventure games with tons of secrets to uncover. BUY IT PEOPLE

In my top 3 this year, sadly it fell under the radar releasing next to Rift Apart and FF7 Intergrade, right before E3. Pretty disappointing cause its the most fun i had this year gaming. Such a nice relaxing game that still gives you a sense of adventure and progress.

On another note, someone please save me from myself. I just decided to dip into the backlog a bit and busted out DMC5 since i only played it for 20 minutes then I realized there was no dualsense support for the ps4 version so i went and jjust bought the ps5 version for 40 dollars.

I literally just paid 40 dollars for Dualsense integration.

Edit——

The load times on the ps4 version are also incredibly slow so that also

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
How'd we get here from "reviews are just for clicks"?

Wait, never mind. Whatever rocks your boat.
I never said just for clicks btw. Their main objective doesn't detriment from other interests.
Doesn't really matter i guess. We have very different pow here. I think media shouldn't be excluded from criticism. They have their influence, their interests, their biases. Just like gaming corporations have their issues.
The poll that originated my post is from a huge media outlet.

Nov 19, 2019
So you telling me the MHW type game set in the Horizon world that I always wanted might actually be real.
If it's real, that's a bold ass choice of genre.

Has any company succeeded in this "hunt big stuff" genre besides Capcom? There have been lots of attempts for sure, but not much that had staying power. The only thing I can think of is the God Eater series on PSP.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
If it's real, that's a bold ass choice of genre.

Has any company succeeded in this "hunt big stuff" genre besides Capcom? There have been lots of attempts for sure, but not much that had staying power. The only thing I can think of is the God Eater series on PSP.
Dauntless is successful

And we are talking about a studio that went from Killzone to Horizon. Taking bets in a diferent genre is something they are not stranger to.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Has anyone in this thread played Chicory? I think that game deserves all the talk and hype over many other indie games: it's the real deal. Just platinum'd it today and it's utterly fantastic. It starts slow, gives off a very simplistic impression but it evolves into a massive Link to the Past-ish adventure games with tons of secrets to uncover. BUY IT PEOPLE
The aesthetics put me off. But that link to the past comment grabbed my attention. Will check it out

Nov 19, 2019
I'm all for guerilla making the attempt, just commenting on the boldness. It was less a comment about their capability and more about the genre itself. It's almost like Soulsborne in that way.

Moving from Killzone to HZD was a bold move, so GG certainly have chops.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Oh it's on my wishlist, just too many already bought game to complete before.
But first sale, it's on my basket.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
I would have been down for a new Killzone at launch for a nice action FPS graphical piece, but besides that, I can do without more big budget military style FPS games.

gt123

Apr 2, 2021
Just got an 8bitdo SN30+ and man what I would give for a compatible version for PS5. I love me some firm and clicky face buttons and dpad. Main thing that keeps me from playing indies and 2d platformers on PS5. But big TV probably doesn't help either.

Broseph

Mar 2, 2021
I won't expect to see Guerilla's other game until 2023. We might be able to get 3 games from them this generation

Now that I got a PS5, I probably will actually hold off on games till Black Friday where I'll try and collect some of the PS5 games that have released. Really want to get Miles Morales Ultimate Edition, Ratchet, Deathloop, and Demon Souls but based on how slowly I buy games, it'll take me a while to get them all lol

Deleted member 10119

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2021
Does anybody know what kind of game this new Guardians of the Galaxy game is supposed to be in terms of exploration?
Can't really find an answer so far.

Is it going to be like Jedi Fallen Order where you can go to your ship and pull up the galaxy map and choose what place to go to?
Or will it be more like Uncharted, where you go from setpiece to setpiece and don't have any way to backtrack?

Oct 25, 2017
Does anybody know what kind of game this new Guardians of the Galaxy game is supposed to be in terms of exploration?
Can't really find an answer so far.

Is it going to be like Jedi Fallen Order where you can go to your ship and pull up the galaxy map and choose what place to go to?
Or will it be more like Uncharted, where you go from setpiece to setpiece and don't have any way to backtrack?
Looks to be like a mass effect/fallen order mash.

CATM

Banned
Apr 20, 2021

FAZHHA_UUAAWmup

This game looks cool but sounds way too hard for me.

Oct 27, 2017
I was just thinking how there aren't many big heavy hitters this year.

Then I remembered I played a good bunch of JRPGs and Guilty Gear this year.

This year I played Persona 5 Strikers, Yakuza 7, FF7 Remake in fully realized 60fps, Scarlet Nexus, Tales of Arise. Some JRPGs on Switch I am also looking forward to playing like SMTV, Pokemon and Bravely Default 2.

Then we have Returnal and Ratchet. Both big hitters and huge next gen showcases. I get to replay games I really loved from the last generation in its full 60fps glory (just finished the Horizon DLC for the first time. It was fun and a decent in between before forbidden west).

There are some more games that came out this year that I'm excited for and might pick up.

I get it seems like not a blockbuster year but for a first year of a new generation, there is no shortage of really great games. It's definitely going to an underrated year.

My GOTY will probably be FF7R for the second year in a row with Persona 5 coming in second again. So that might say something about me or this year lol

Yeah Japanese and Indie games were really good this year. The same happened with 2019 and that was considered a "lesser" year too 🤔

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else here just love Team Asobi and what they did with Astro's Playroom <3?
Yup!

Rift Apart was amazing too.

Definitely. Sony first party is gonna come in hot next year with multiple highly awaited sequels. Then we might actually get two big Square Enix JRPGs in Forspoken and FFXVI. I feel like it's a year of dreams again. (I just need SF6 and a Persona game to come in clutch at the end of the year next year and it might beat 2017 for me)
Yeah, it's gonna be so good.

Looking good to me. Can't wait.

Last edited:

boticide24

Jun 18, 2021
I won't expect to see Guerilla's other game until 2023. We might be able to get 3 games from them this generation

Now that I got a PS5, I probably will actually hold off on games till Black Friday where I'll try and collect some of the PS5 games that have released. Really want to get Miles Morales Ultimate Edition, Ratchet, Deathloop, and Demon Souls but based on how slowly I buy games, it'll take me a while to get them all lol
You sound like me. I got a PS5 at launch, but still haven't played Ratchet and just recently played Miles. By the time I get to games like Deathloop and Psychonauts, they'll be like half price lol

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, this might be announced (maybe released?) next year. Could be announced in December if Sony actually does something, but I wouldn't hold my breath for that.

In normal conditions I'd agree with you, but not with COVID happening when the game was likely still in pre-production and with most of GG focused on Horizon 2 which got delayed.

ChaosSlayer

Jul 16, 2021
In normal conditions I'd agree with you, but not with COVID happening when the game was likely still in pre-production and with most of GG focused on Horizon 2 which got delayed.
But Guerrilla is huge. They are a two teams studio by now. Do you think that the whole studio is working only on Horizon? I honestly doubt it.
I think that this game will be announced next year. A summer 2023 release window seems reasonable to me too.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
But Guerrilla is huge. They are a two teams studio by now. Do you think that the whole studio is working only on Horizon? I honestly doubt it.
I think that this game will be announced next year. A summer 2023 release window seems reasonable to me too.

Not the whole studio but most of it I assume. They were aiming for a 2021 release so I doubt they were sparing many resources on Simon Larouche project, everything got pushed back due to covid.

But since Sony just announced 2 Insomniac games for 2023 and beyond, maybe they'll announce this as well next year even if it isn't close.

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021
You and me both.

The number one thing Emberlabs needs is a bigger budget. After beating the game, I'm more certain than ever that they would be a good fit for Sony.

The
Taro story ending
was god damn incredible.

Yeah, the fact that they were able to accomplish this on their budget and studio size is amazing. I liked all the end game boss fighters, they were all extremely well done and theatrical. Very souls like

I want to see what they can do with twice the budget and access to sony support teams

ChaosSlayer

Jul 16, 2021
Not the whole studio but most of it I assume. They were aiming for a 2021 release so I doubt they were sparing many resources on Simon Larouche project, everything got pushed back due to covid.

But since Sony just announced 2 Insomniac games for 2023 and beyond, maybe they'll announce this as well next year even if it isn't close.
I think that each project has its timelines and needs to meet some targets set by GG and PS Studios leadership. Guerrilla was building a new team from the ground. Those teams will share resources and personnel. However, I think they would like to establish some type of "independence". Ideally, troubled dev cycles or delays should not impact the other projects.
I don't doubt that some people were moved from Simon Larouche's team to support the Horizon team but I think that he had a sizeable team for the past few years.
In fact, I can't see them moving people from Simon's team prior to this year, in a final attempt to ship the game by the end of 2021.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
I think that each project has its timelines and needs to meet some targets set by GG and PS Studios leadership. Guerrilla was building a new team from the ground. Those teams will share resources and personnel. However, I think they would like to establish some type of "independence". Ideally, troubled dev cycles or delays should not impact the other projects.
I don't doubt that some people were moved from Simon Larouche's team to support the Horizon team but I think that he had a sizeable team for the past few years.
In fact, I can't see them moving people from Simon's team prior to this year, in a final attempt to ship the game by the end of 2021.

Time will tell I guess, but personally I'm not expecting to see anything soon (as in next year). Hopefully I'm wrong.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
I just checked SMS job openings and it seems they are accepting internships (they had none for a while).

I'm assuming they are back at the studio or at least preparing to do it.

Broseph

Mar 2, 2021
You sound like me. I got a PS5 at launch, but still haven't played Ratchet and just recently played Miles. By the time I get to games like Deathloop and Psychonauts, they'll be like half price lol
Yea I always only buy a few new games each year and most of the games I play end up being from my built up backlog.

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021
After seeing the netflix news, I'm almost entirely sure that if sony doesn't make an offer for Emberlabs they will get snatched. Embracer, NetEase, microsoft, Tencent, Facebook…..everyones buying anyone that can provide good games, and emberlabs is probably cheap right now if they are looking to be acquired.

This probably also goes for bluepoint and whatever else 2nd party studios are lingering still. Talent/IP acquisition is going to be a big deal moving forward this gen, i hope sony is willing to spend some more money.

ChaosSlayer

Jul 16, 2021
After seeing the netflix news, I'm almost entirely sure that if sony doesn't make an offer for Emberlabs they will get snatched. Embracer, NetEase, microsoft, Tencent, Facebook…..everyones buying anyone that can provide good games, and emberlabs is probably cheap right now if they are looking to be acquired.

This probably also goes for bluepoint and whatever else 2nd party studios are lingering still. Talent/IP acquisition is going to be a big deal moving forward this gen, i hope sony is willing to spend some more money.

I totally agree with you. The consolidation of the gaming industry is already in full motion.
They seem to be aware of this so I am not really worried about their acquisitions strategy. However, I want them to invest more in services, new innovative ways to access and experience games (including VR), and the social aspect of gaming.

With the entry of Netflix and its huge subscriber base, aiming to transition the 50m PS+ subscribers to new higher tiers won't cut it anymore. You need a high subscriber base to buy high-quality content.
They need to invest more money to improve their service offerings and expand the supported territories for PS Now asap.

Status
Not open for further replies.