Status
Not open for further replies.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
There is a (very bad) PS1 emulator.

There are a number of PS2 games running on an emulator for PS4, often forgotten it seems.

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes I wonder why the likes of Sony just doesn't reach out to people making emulators and pay them to create one for them.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Sometimes I wonder why the likes of Sony just doesn't reach out to people making emulators and pay them to create one for them.
It's not just about the emulators it's also about paying all the people down the lines. Theres a reason why sony just only does their BC baked in the hardware.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure they could just license them. That's what they did for the PS Classic.
If they don't want to develop and maintain their own emulators they should just license DuckStation (PS1), PPSSPP and RPCS3 and release games they can get rights to and can get running on those. All three of those are great in terms of enhancements.

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
From an ROI perspective, I wonder if it was worth it for Microsoft?

I think this is an interesting question to consider from a business pov. It will definitely be hard to actually measure the long term impact of this but at least in the short term, I would imagine the biggest gain is through improved public image/goodwill. But is that enough to actually make a material difference in financial performance? I don't personally think it is for either MS/Sony.

From a consumer pov, I think what they are doing is great, even if it doesn't matter much to me. I rarely replay any game tbh. But it's great for those that do. I do think we will see more updates from Sony on this front, even if such updates are sporadic.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I think this is an interesting question to consider from a business pov. It will definitely be hard to actually measure the long term impact of this but at least in the short term, I would imagine the biggest gain is through improved public image/goodwill. But is that enough to actually make a material difference in financial performance? I don't personally think it is for either MS/Sony.

From a consumer pov, I think what they are doing is great, even if it doesn't matter much to me. I rarely replay any game tbh. But it's great for those that do. I do think we will see more updates from Sony on this front, even if such updates are sporadic.
It's not even just for replaying older titles. It's great for game preservation in general. Someone like me who never grew up with an Xbox can now check out all of these older titles I heard so much about but never got around to. Regardless of how much was spent, I think everyone being happy about it is worth more than that. Long term, they will more than make up for it.

DrM

Oct 26, 2017
Slovenia
I really, really do not understand ERA fascination with replaying older titles. They are where they belong - in history.

I know that I will be blasted from all fronts for this, but this is just my opinion.

andresmoros

Oct 29, 2017
Houston
I really, really do not understand ERA fascination with replaying older titles. They are where they belong - in history.

I know that I will be blasted from all fronts for this, but this is just my opinion.
Same. I sell every single game I beat because I'm not going to back to it. Only way I keep them is if I have the digital version, and that's why I played Mega Man Legends 1 and 2 again. Other than that, nope, never.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Holy shit! Me too.

I am still hoping for a good digital sale end of November.
I have Death Loop, DeS (Elden Ring test make me wanting it more than ever) and I Takes Too.
But in France so I hope for good deals too.
From an ROI perspective, I wonder if it was worth it for Microsoft?
I don't think ROI was a goal in that case.
Good lord. I'm never complaining about cross-gen again.

Graphically speaking, Horizon Forbidden West is the most impressive next gen game, even including non open world games.
The jump between the two games is insane (something GoW failed to do at the moment, but it was already very good looking).

Naicore

Aug 30, 2021
We got 50 or so PS2->PS4 releases before that stopped a few years ago. I'm guessing not many people bought them since they all went on pretty deep discount almost immediately.

I did my part and bought a lot of them at release, lol.

Jak & Daxter got a Limited Run physical release and it was sold out near instantly. I remember checking it on Gamstat and it was at around 500k users, not bad for an older title I would say.

andresmoros

Oct 29, 2017
Houston
Man. I hope we get a Death Stranding 2 that's exclusive to PS5. I want KojiPro to take full advantage of that console's power.
Yeah, same here. I already beat the game and I am still addicted to it. Put in a good 150 hours already, just doing missions and stuff. Also wanted to note: the art direction in the game is absolutely flawless. Everything has so much care and detail and belongs to the world. Kojima definitely has a style and high standards.

Biteren

Oct 29, 2017
im gonna be ready to upgrade my PS5 storage space once black friday hits! im gunning for a 2tb 7000 MB/s ssd, i got the heat sync picked out and everything!

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
It's not even just for replaying older titles. It's great for game preservation in general. Someone like me who never grew up with an Xbox can now check out all of these older titles I heard so much about but never got around to. Regardless of how much was spent, I think everyone being happy about it is worth more than that. Long term, they will more than make up for it.

Fair point regard game preservation. I agree with you on that one for sure.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
If sony eventually makes ps3 games downloadable with ps now then i'd be much happier with the service.

playing gow chains of olympus on ps now hasn't been as disastrous as i was expecting but i still would've preferred being able to download the game and not worry about wifi.

idk why ps3 games on ps now aren't downloadable and i dont care about a megacorp's ROI but sony should make it an option.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017

Bizarre take. I don't really play many old games myself, but you don't understand why somebody would want to? History is not meant to be forgotten. Old cars, old games, old electronics, etc. I very easily understand why people are fascinated by retro things. It helps us understand how things are the way the are, and sometimes are much better than the way they are now.

simmias

Oct 30, 2017
Jak & Daxter got a Limited Run physical release and it was sold out near instantly. I remember checking it on Gamstat and it was at around 500k users, not bad for an older title I would say.
The Limited Run release was only 7,500 copies, wasn't it? And I wonder if the Gamstat number included the Vita and PS3 releases, too? Just looking at PSNP it seems many more people played it on PS3.

dbcyber

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Glad I bought Vice City and San Andreas before the classic ones were removed from the store. Man those games definitely have their charm.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017

It's fine if you have that opinion. But it makes no sense that you couldn't understand why other people don't agree.

Games don't become bad just because they turn 5 years old, or any other arbitrary time period.
There are a lot of fantastic games on older hardware. A lot of these games don't really have equals anymore.

I really enjoy turn based RPGs, generally much more than action RPGs. But the former is extremely rare today. Which is frustrating.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
It's fine if you have that opinion. But it makes no sense that you couldn't understand why other people don't agree.

Games don't become bad just because they turn 5 years old, or any other arbitrary time period.
There are a lot of fantastic games on older hardware. A lot of these games don't really have equals anymore.

I really enjoy turn based RPGs, generally much more than action RPGs. But the former is extremely rare today. Which is frustrating.
Not to mention the sheer amount of games released mean we all can often go years and years without playing a bunch of great ones.

Markratos

Hermen Hulst's Secret Account
Feb 15, 2020
Seeing how popular some f2p games are, I wonder if Sony will go for this model with The last of us Factions. I think if they get it right they could have a massive success on their hands. (I also hope it has a Battle Royale mode, the Tlou 2 gameplay is perfect for it).

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya

I'm halfway your opinion. I think having access to old games is a good thing, if doable,but is not mandatory. It is easier now with digital purchases and relatively PC like hardware.
I think most old games have aged very poorly, so i have very little interest in most of them.
I think having receny BC is much more important, like having ps4 BC on ps5, than being able to play games from 4 gens ago
People think it is easy, but having good emulation, without issues, has a cost, and data probably shows that not many people do really use that feature.
Also designing systems with BC in mind may compromise future hardware.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
Also, not everyone has access to older hardware or are willing to buy them just to play a few old games.

Being able to download & play old Xbox games on Xbox Series S has been awesome. I've got games like FF13, Oblivion and Morrowind on there alongside titles like RDR2.

I don't see why PlayStation can't have that with something like PS Now at least. At bare minimum, Sony's first party classics like the whole Ratchet & Clank series on old PS consoles should be downloadable on PS Now.

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021
With such a media overload these days its hard keeping up with current stuff i want to watch/play/listen to. So I kind of understand the sentiment.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Ultimately the most annoying thing isn't simply that the old games aren't available, it's the precedent that they set. Even putting aside PS3 (and Vita) BC, they were happy to sell PS1 and PS2 games on PS3 and PSP games on Vita and suddenly new more powerful and capable consoles come out with no support for not only the platforms of the preceding generation but also for the prior ones that were already supported. People invested in digital libraries for these games that should clearly work on PS4/PS5 considering they work on worse hardware but instead those libraries aren't carried over, and we're supposed to just be like "ehh whatever"?

It's just sad when games and platforms they once tried to make you care about end up better taken care of by fan projects for PCs and phones and homebrew consoles. But at this point anyone who cares should know to just

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Also, not everyone has access to older hardware or are willing to buy them just to play a few old games.

Being able to download & play old Xbox games on Xbox Series S has been awesome. I've got games like FF13, Oblivion and Morrowind on there alongside titles like RDR2.

I don't see why PlayStation can't have that with something like PS Now at least. At bare minimum, Sony's first party classics like the whole Ratchet & Clank series on old PS consoles should be downloadable on PS Now.
Different hardware? Ps3 is probably the big problem. Seems that xb bc wasn't easy, and 360 was way less complex than ps3.
I agree that at least psone bc should be there, seems very easy to do. I guess problem is psn store , which was not exactly easy to manage, and they had to redesign it for ps4, so maybe transferring purchases from old psn to new psn may be harder than it seems

Last edited:

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Good lord. I'm never complaining about cross-gen again.

Some of said before...when the very first trailer for Miles was in that showcase, ppl were losing their minds at how good it looked. Gifs of that trailer were damn near everywhere when describing how good a PS5 game can look.

....until they found out it was cross gen....

Then all kinds of revisionist history started popping up left n right.

Some of us also said seems some devs can absolutely do an amazing job with a cross gen game compared to some others.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
Some of said before...when the very first trailer for Miles was in that showcase, ppl were losing their minds at how good it looked. Gifs of that trailer were damn near everywhere when describing how good a PS5 game can look.

....until they found out it was cross gen....

Then all kinds of revisionist history started popping up left n right.

Some of us also said seems some devs can absolutely do an amazing job with a cross gen game compared to some others.
It's amazing what a few graphical techniques can do to a game. Miles Morales looked great on PS4 as well, but the upgrades Insomniac made on PS5 made a world of difference.

Naicore

Aug 30, 2021
I guess problem is psn store , which was not exactly easy to manage, and they had to redesign it for ps4, so maybe transferring purchases from old psn to new psn may be harder than it seems

Could be wrong, but think purchases are account linked and are a step removed from storefronts. So it's more about what each store can show. Purchases on ps3+vita were linked, same with vita+ps4, and now ps4+ps5.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Seeing how popular some f2p games are, I wonder if Sony will go for this model with The last of us Factions. I think if they get it right they could have a massive success on their hands. (I also hope it has a Battle Royale mode, the Tlou 2 gameplay is perfect for it).
If they put it behind a paywall it needs to be extremely good to have a big, long lasting community. I definitely think F2P would be the way to go or a hybrid model where a part is F2P and another part is behind a paywall but I'm not confident Sony is willing to go for that.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
I'm pretty pissed at Rockstar/Sony (whoever was responsible) for pulling the Max Payne 2 (PS4) release a few years back.
Seeing it added to Xbox today opens the wound, I won't lie.

Xbox is ending its BC run today due to licensing and legal issues. The writing was on the wall for a while, but good on them for giving it one last push. It would be great to see Sony pick it back up again but they have it way worse than MS is this regard though, with PS1 and PS2.
Max Payne 2 ran like shit on PS2. Unless they got it to run at locked 30 on PS4 via the classics program, that game ran like a slide show. I know cause I bought it day1 back in the day.

Markratos

Hermen Hulst's Secret Account
Feb 15, 2020
If they put it behind a paywall it needs to be extremely good to have a big, long lasting community. I definitely think F2P would be the way to go or a hybrid model where a part is F2P and another part is behind a paywall but I'm not confident Sony is willing to go for that.
I mean, many games have followed the f2p model with success - they don't need to reinvent the wheel.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Could be wrong, but think purchases are account linked and are a step removed from storefronts. So it's more about what each store can show. Purchases on ps3+vita were linked, same with vita+ps4, and now ps4+ps5.
I'm just guessing honestly. I find strange that we never got psone bc. Seems easy to implement, i can understand ps3 is very difficult, and even ps2 can be tricky, but psone.... unless there's something else I'm missing, i can only find some reasonable explanation in licensing issues or issues with old psn purchases.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
oh word they pulled it? I was waiting to cop max Payne 1 cause I thought they'll drop 2 soon.
Pulled is probably the wrong word because it was never on the store. It was ESRB-rated along with Midnight Club 3, GTA: LCS & VCS, but never appeared on the store. These games weren't promised, I just got my hopes up.

Max Payne 2 ran like shit on PS2. Unless they got it to run at locked 30 on PS4 via the classics program, that game ran like a slide show. I know cause I bought it day1 back in the day.
I must have a terrible memory because someone here did tell me a while ago that some of these games were probably rejected due to bugs and performance issues. Max Payne 2 does have frame rate issues when using bullet time. I have the game on Steam though so it's all good.

PS2 Classics Emulator Compatibility List - PS4 Developer wiki

Playstation Development Wiki - PS5, PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, PSP, Vita Information

Status
Not open for further replies.