Status
Not open for further replies.

Aerial51

Apr 24, 2020
The bullying aspect and resolution makes sense for an all-ages/family game. Thats usually how it is in children's movies, the bullies are mean at first but then the power of friendship.

I liked how it shifted into the goonies-like by the end game, i wish it had happened earlier if anything.
Many Children Movies these days deal with very serious topics and don't go the "easy route" You can explore the subject of bullying more in depth wihle still making something intended for an all-ages audience and imo you should if you touch serious topics.

EdReedFan20

Oct 25, 2017
With people hoping to see Spider-Gwen in a Spider-Man game, I was thinking about how they could/should introduce her. I think it would be neat to introduce the multi-verse (and all that could mean going forward) and have her come in via that method.... however (and this is a big however), seeing her would deeply affect Peter as we find out that she (the main world's Gwen) was his original serious girlfriend and suffered the same fate as typically portrayed in the comics (and The Amazing Spider-Man 2). Maybe Mary-Jane knows about that trauma, maybe she doesn't. Gwen's death could revolve around a previous villain (perhaps someone major we haven't seen yet) and coincidentally, with the arrival of Spider-Gwen, we get the reemergence of said villain. It could be fun to have that past stuff be playable. Have it split between Peter's earlier days as Spider-Man and the present.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I beat Concrete Genie today and I honestly have no idea why that game is sitting at a 75 on meta. It was such a fun and heartfelt charming story. I loved the animations they used for the exposition and the 3d animation was unique and fun also. The gameplay of jumping across buildings and sneaking around the bullies was fun but getting the powers and painting was even more fun. It was such an inventive idea how you made the genies and how they came to life and interacted with the painting.

That game should be a mid 80 at the very least. I almost feel like Pixelopus was robbed on critical praise for this game, and ultimately sales probably. This was just as good design wise as R&C.

Pixelopus is def the Doublefine studio for sony. I bet there next game will be a received a lot better just because people seem to be more accepting of these unconvential platformers now.

I played it last month and I pretty much agree with all that you are saying. The game deserved more critical love than what it got. I'm looking forward to what Pixelopus tries next.

So Dread is sitting in the high 80's as well. This really does look like the most wide open GotY race since 2014. There's nothing you can point to as being the clear cut frontrunner like you usually can.

Yes, this year is a wide open race. Even with the COVID delays of 2021 there is still a fine list of games.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Someone remind me, what time does the Jimbo interview drop tomorrow?
Is this a written one or video?

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, this year is a wide open race. Even with the COVID delays of 2021 there is still a fine list of games.

Yeah, it's definitely been a great year for games. Just that there isn't necessarily a standout like here often times is. Like last year was an easy call because of Part II. And this year would've been easy had Horizon 2 made it. But now it's really anyone's to win. Should be a very tight race.

stormfire

Nov 26, 2018
I mentioned this before but afaik, acquisitions are considered to be 'inorganic' by definition. The whole organic acquisition thing was used in a somewhat novel way by Sony I guess. But we understood what they were trying to say so all is fine in the end I guess. Then again I feel like they always left room for potential for 'non-organic' M&A options too lol

inorganic growth opportunities through acquisitions, investments or joint ventures

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
With people hoping to see Spider-Gwen in a Spider-Man game, I was thinking about how they could/should introduce her. I think it would be neat to introduce the multi-verse (and all that could mean going forward) and have her come in via that method.... however (and this is a big however), seeing her would deeply affect Peter as we find out that she (the main world's Gwen) was his original serious girlfriend and suffered the same fate as typically portrayed in the comics (and The Amazing Spider-Man 2). Maybe Mary-Jane knows about that trauma, maybe she doesn't. Gwen's death could revolve around a previous villain (perhaps someone major we haven't seen yet) and coincidentally, with the arrival of Spider-Gwen, we get the reemergence of said villain. It could be fun to have that past stuff be playable. Have it split between Peter's earlier days as Spider-Man and the present.
I kinda hope they dont do the multi-verse stuff yet. With everything already going on in 2, its gonna get pretty complicated if they juggle Peter, Miles, the ongoing Osborn story, Venom etc. and then Gwen/the multiverse.
I definitely want to see a Spider Verse game happen (well, it sorta did with Shattered Dimensions, but Id like to see a Miles led Spider Verse game happen), I just dont want it to get full focus, and not share the focus with the current Spidey story arc Insomniac are doing.

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021
Don't mean to keep dwelling on the lack of 1st party titles but i just looked at november and December releases and jeez….theres not even any 3rd party games that are even mildly interesting there for me.

My switch is probably gonna get more burn over the holidays

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Don't mean to keep dwelling on the lack of 1st party titles but i just looked at november and December releases and jeez….theres not even any 3rd party games that are even mildly interesting there for me.

It is what it is. Can't do much about it due to the way the pandemic affected things so no need to dwell on it. Play something else and prepare for the onslaught that 2022 will bring us.

Maybe check your backlog to see if there's anything you wanna finally get to on PS.

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021
It is what it is. Can't do much about it due to the way the pandemic affected things so no need to dwell on it. Play something else and prepare for the onslaught that 2022 will bring us.

Maybe check your backlog to see if there's anything you wanna finally get to on PS.

Yeah, hopefully a lot of games from this year go on sale

I wonder if theres anymore hidden gems from sony i haven't played. Maybe I'll finally play the Order

Last edited:

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
unknown-3.jpg

One job for a madhatter of 3rd parties
Sony looking to lock more exclusive thrid party games

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017

Im still only on chapter 4 of Lost Judgment. Im not the least bit worried, in fact Im kinda greatful. its probably gonna take me months to 100% let alone get all the DLC complete! And that's not counting Kena which I have ready to go as well!

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Will they give the same treatment for future Persona 6 though?

Like a Final Fantasy XVI treatment.

I don't think being friends all this time & whatever the deals for P5 & Royal exclusivity won't cut it anymore.

The series became high profile with 90+ Metacritic with mainline games, I'm not surprised SEGA & Atlus want to be treat by SIE like how they treat mainline Final Fantasies. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021
And yet somehow they did not moneyhat the FF Origins game.

Speaks how much they think of that game lol

I wouldn't be surprised if they were originally offered and/or interested and took a sharp pivot after they saw the trailer/gameplay

Will they'll give the same treatment for future Persona 6 though?

Like a Final Fantasy XVI treatment.

I don't think being friends all this time & whatever the deals for P5 & Royal exclusivity won't cut it anymore.

The series became high profile with 90+ Metacritic with mainline games, I'm not surprised SEGA & Atlus want to be treat by SIE like how they treat mainline Final Fantasies. 🤷‍♂️

Altus is still doing exclusivity cause they just made SMTV exclusive knowing they could make an extra half million+ in sales if it were on PlayStation. Sony could easily money had another persona but why even bother? How much is a game like that gonna sell on xbox?

Unless theres a gamepass deal i can't see it going multiplatform.

Not that i mind Persona going multiplatform btw, I just think the focus is still PlayStation

Last edited:

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Altus is still doing exclusivity cause they just made SMTV exclusive knowing they could make an extra half million+ in sales if it were on PlayStation. Sony could easily money had another persona but why even bother? How much is a game like that gonna sell on xbox?

Unless theres a gamepass deal i can't see it going multiplatform.

Not that i mind Persona going multiplatform btw, I just think the focus is still PlayStation
We'll just gonna see how it goes when the game & platform(s) officially announced.

In my humble opinion, the series is big enough to offer any deals of exclusivity with any company, not as big as FF/KH/DQ/etc yet, but big enough.

pappacone

Jan 10, 2020
The SSM trajectory:

2010:
- GoW3 ships.
- SSM embarks on multi-project track as part of then WWS's organic growth initiative.
- Team is structured in a 1.5 manner, with bulk of team working on GoW Ascension and a small team led by Stig kicks off work on Darkside.

2013:
- GoW Ascension ships.
- Bulk of Ascension team moves onto Darkside as project was planned to leave pre-production.
- Cory Barlog was recruited back to SSM to 'reboot' GoW after Ascension's reception.
- Pre-production for GoW2018 begins.

2014:
- Darkside was cancelled, and approximately 50 people from the Darkside team was laid off. A bulk of them went on to Respawn as the team that developed JFO.
- Preproduction for GoW2018 was accelerated as bulk of SSM was shifted to the game.
- Multi-game initiative for SSM was put on hold/failed.

2015:
- GoW2018 was in 'Greenlit' phase as per behind-the-scenes.

2016:
- GoW2018 was officially revealed.
- Layoffs happen at SSM as SIE pulls support for SSM's External Development initiative, responsible for projects like Journey and Edith Finch to focus entirely on internal development.
- Some of the SSM Ex.Dev layoffs went on to become key leads at Annapurna Interactive.

2018:
- GoW2018 shipped.
- Cory Barlog insinuated that he would like to work on a new IP next and that he was open to the tradition of different directors leading GoW.

2020:
- Cory Barlog tweets "Eric Williams" - a name that was credited in GoW2018 as 'additional design', but was not well-known to many who did not listen to every Cory podcast.
- The next God of War was announced.
- Cory "never heard of it".

2021:
- SSM opens job hirings for an 'unannounced project'.
- Cory Barlog hints that he is part of the unannounced project by highlighting the opportunities related to the unannounced project.
- The next GoW is officially titled GoW Ragnarok.
- SSM confirms that Cory Barlog is only serving as a producer for Ragnarok and creative leadership reins was passed to Eric Williams.
- Cory Barlog is currently working on "a bunch of things"
you forgot this
s6AOtvc.jpg

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Sony will lock down Resident Evil 4 Remake?
Marketing - probably, anything beyond that? Almost unthinkable. Though the irony wouldnt be lost on me if its an exclusive to only the PS5 only for it to eventually get ported to other platforms (wonder who at Capcom would lose their head this time if it happened lol)

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Isn't that just referring to God of War and it's direct sequel God of War Ragnarok? We know that Cory has planned a lot of the sequel out while working on the last game.
A lot of hires for the multiplayer game, this game is def looking like the next mainline Naughty Dog game at this point
I am only seeing 7 here that are strictly multiplayer? That's out of over 50 total being listed here. Seems about on par with expectations really.

Broseph

Mar 2, 2021
So they're hiring a monetization head for their project. Isn't that something you'd need handled earlier on? Factions might be way farther away than we think (like late 2023 or even later)

Portodutch

Feb 17, 2021
So they're hiring a monetization head for their project. Isn't that something you'd need handled earlier on? Factions might be way farther away than we think (like late 2023 or even later)

Could be different things, maybe its for a future season release or the one they had has left.
Doesn't necesarily mean that its further away then most think.

Ewaan

Corrupted by Vengeance
May 29, 2020
Motherwell, Scotland
For reference, the talks that might be of interest to those in the OT take place when the following countdowns reach zero.

Jim Ryan Oct 7, 2021 at 12:00 PM

Jade Raymond Oct 8, 2021 at 5:30 AM

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
It's not "head of monetization", it is a senior monetization designer, for all we know it might be for post launch content, rather than figuring out how their monetization system works from 0.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Besides, it's not as if ND doesn't have anyone in the studio who used to work on monetization.

ND's monetization design and economy has been one of their most hated aspects lol. Someone made those.

Status
Not open for further replies.