Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 26, 2017
Hope this is an okay thread to post this question.

I've had my PS5 for a year. It's still in like-new condition. I just secured a second PS5 from Best Buy which I thought my brother would want, but he doesn't. So now I have one to sell.

Does it make sense for me to keep the new PS5 as my own, and then sell the one that's a year old? I guess I'd try to sell it for $500 flat, maybe $450? I'm not trying to scam anyone.

Other than it being a year newer, is there anything actually "new" in the internal design of a PS5 being manufactured now that wasn't there a year ago?

Kind of seems like a no brainer to replace my old one with the new one and sell the old one used, right?

Only reason I can see to sell the new one instead is that I could make more money. But I'm not really out to do that.

I'm not aware of any significant differences between the launch and current models which would affect your decision. They redesigned the heatsink which reduced the mass slightly, I think that there may have been a slight difference in power consumption, but don't recall it being a big deal.

The biggest factor is going to be that the new one has a fresh warranty. I think that is probably sufficient reason to sell the 'old' one, IMO FWIW.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
This is such a rubbish take. I know he's commentating from an "industry analyst" perspective, but as a gamer PlayStation literally exists as the intersection between technological innovation and entertainment. The entire history of the brand is built around marrying those two things into consumer products.

Virtual reality may not be everyone's cup of tea, and I fully respect and appreciate that, but few things to me are more exciting than the ability to be "inside" the worlds Sony (and other publishers) create.

Who cares what Xbox is doing if the experiences are amazing? And at the absolute worst, this serves as a differentiator, which is important for companies like PlayStation to have.

Exactly, thank you. Even last gen, one of the most next gen things to me was being inside games.

That is like saying Sony's other products and divisions are a distraction.

They are a massive tech company, they can afford to enter other ventures and maintain it. This is less of a distraction then Sony making cars. lol

This gen they have more vr studios, more expertise and is in a way better position on all fronts to support it but apparently it is a negative distraction?

If it wasn't last gen then it won't be for this one.
Thank you. VR is a distraction...but cars isnt?

Does not compute.

There are opinions that its a failure, that its a distraction...and yet it didnt hurt them last gen.

Ppl say this...and their first PS5 game haven't even launched this year yet, lol.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Hope this is an okay thread to post this question.

I've had my PS5 for a year. It's still in like-new condition. I just secured a second PS5 from Best Buy which I thought my brother would want, but he doesn't. So now I have one to sell.

Does it make sense for me to keep the new PS5 as my own, and then sell the one that's a year old? I guess I'd try to sell it for $500 flat, maybe $450? I'm not trying to scam anyone.

Other than it being a year newer, is there anything actually "new" in the internal design of a PS5 being manufactured now that wasn't there a year ago?

Kind of seems like a no brainer to replace my old one with the new one and sell the old one used, right?

Only reason I can see to sell the new one instead is that I could make more money. But I'm not really out to do that.

I don't know if this matters to you, but the newer PS5s also have "worse" cooling compared to the older units -- the new heatsink is smaller and made of aluminum instead of copper.

Unless your old PS5 has coil whine or something, I see no reason to get rid of it for the newer one.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if this matters to you, but the newer PS5s also have "worse" cooling compared to the older units -- the new heatsink is smaller and made of aluminum instead of copper.

Unless your old PS5 has coil whine or something, I see no reason to get rid of it for the newer one.
Oh wow. Really?

I wonder when Sony will do a slim model. I will probably wait for it.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Oh wow. Really?

I wonder when Sony will do a slim model. I will probably wait for it.

Right, that's why I put it in quotes. I know all about the testing from GN/DF/others and yes, it's still well within spec.

But assuming all other parts are the same, I see no reason to get rid of the old PS5 with the objectively better heatsink even if it's mostly an academic difference.

Fleet of Foot

Oct 27, 2017
Springboro, OH

You're right. I got excited securing the Best Buy order but the smart thing to do is just cancel it.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
I see Bloodborne trending on twitter often, with lots of people also asking for PC/PS5 versions. No idea why Sony are sleeping on this.
Waiting for the right moment?
The hardcore and FS fans were already served with Demons Souls. Now are getting Elden Ring.
Maybe in 10-15 months to boost PS5 interest once supply is enough?
If it ever happens ofc

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
It's interesting to see Ubisoft side with Xbox more and more this gen while Square is firmly in Sony's camp, even beyond what's publicly known. This is a cool move, but I wonder what price we'll be looking at for Ultimate + Ubi.

This is turning into a very exciting gen.

You won't be waiting long!

Square is keen to keep putting everything on PC, even if the ports aren't great. Timed exclusives.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Well, "beyond what's publicly known" would include things like FF7 Remake pt. 2 which isn't officially announced yet, so could just be that. That would be the calm and reasonable take from all of this.

But I ain't a calm and reasonable motherfucker, so I'm gonna assume it means a Sony/Square *redacted* or *redacted* :P

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
I do hope we see FFVIIR part 2 this year.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, "beyond what's publicly known" would include things like FF7 Remake pt. 2 which isn't officially announced yet, so could just be that. That would be the calm and reasonable take from all of this.

But I ain't a calm and reasonable motherfucker, so I'm gonna assume it means a Sony/Square *redacted* or *redacted* :P

Part 2 is obvious. But I can see KH 4 being exclusive too plus DQ XII being marketed more towards the PS side (this one won't be exclusive).

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
The reason is that it takes resources away from doing something new and original.
Yeah, like remaking TLOU. Soo... not seeing your point. Im all for new games. New Uncharted = New. Remake of TLOU = game I already experienced, even if mechanically its improved. Unless they want to do something brave like changing the story, the shock and surprise factor is gone. All's left is retreading the same game. As games take longer to make, unless the remake is fully playable in VR (something I can get on board), it feels exactly as you stated - takes resources away from making something new. Its the same reason I dont want to see Capcom, RGGS etc. remaking old Yakuza, Resident Evil etc. games...

Oct 27, 2017
I just hope TLOU remake overhauls the level design. The original game had such a boring set of levels. So many awkward corridors with boxes that spoil there is a fight coming and so many (time to help ellie cross this and that).

If they fix this then I am down for it.

Carmelozi

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
He's talking about Square games in a service or just Square in general? 🤔
In general but it's an obvious observation though if you look well. Sony x SE are very close since last gen and those timed/exclusivity deals reinforced this relationship so it's not that surprising we get other stuffs in the next months/years.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017

But are we calm and reasonable people?

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
By the way:

Sony better step big with Spartacus
Wouldn't surprise me if Sony simply wont allow Ubisoft+ on PlayStation consoles since it gives subscribers access to Ubisoft games on the day of their release, and if people start playing those games that way instead of buying them through the PlayStation Store that's Sony losing revenue.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I just hope TLOU remake overhauls the level design. The original game had such a boring set of levels. So many awkward corridors with boxes that spoil there is a fight coming and so many (time to help ellie cross this and that).

If they fix this then I am down for it.
Id think they would have to. Otherwise it'd feel like a massive waste of time. Make levels more open/bigger, use that better AI, more enemy actions, include stuff like dogs, long grass etc. to further improve stealth sections. If its a Twin Snakes style remake... well now that'd just be silly.

Oct 27, 2017
Id think they would have to. Otherwise it'd feel like a massive waste of time. Make levels more open/bigger, use that better AI, more enemy actions, include stuff like dogs, long grass etc. to further improve stealth sections. If its a Twin Snakes style remake... well now that'd just be silly.
I agree.

I already feel like TLOU remake is a waste (other than to make money), if they don't improve the gameplay and level design to at least TLOU2 levels then it would be a big mistake.

TS style remake is the worst scenario ever.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
Wouldn't surprise me if Sony simply wont allow Ubisoft+ on PlayStation consoles since it gives subscribers access to Ubisoft games on the day of their release, and if people start playing those games that way instead of buying them through the PlayStation Store that's Sony losing revenue.

Sony will probably ask to receive an amount from the subs from Ubi+. Or will require something in return (EA has been giving a lot of games on Plus after Sony allowed EA Play on PlayStation platforms)

knack2bae

Banned
Oct 23, 2021
If there's any time to hypothesize/speculate on what PlayStation Production projects are in the works, that PSP logo sizzle is fuel for it.

Confirmed:
1. Uncharted - live-action movie
2. Ghost - live-action movie
3. TLOU - live-action tv series
4. Twisted Metal - live-action tv series
--------------
5. God of War ( confirmed no TV/live-action) - something animation?
6. Sackboy - animation
7. Ratchet - animation
8. Horizon - could be either
9. ???
10. ???

I could potentially see them doing something with Sly Cooper and Infamous.

Death Stranding seems like an obvious choice. And there's a rumor of Demon's Souls getting a movie.

Pixel Opus are working with Sony Pictures animators in some fashion. Maybe their next game will get a film/show based on it, idk.

And isn't that Metal Gear movie with Oscar Isaac also a Sony thing?

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Sony will probably ask to receive an amount from the subs from Ubi+. Or will require something in return (EA has been giving a lot of games on Plus after Sony allowed EA Play on PlayStation platforms)
Yeah but even then I think Sony might feel they have more to lose than to gain. Even if just 1 million people decide to play a brand new $70 Ubisoft release through Ubisoft+ instead of buying it through the PlayStation Store that's already $21million potential revenue Sony has lost.
And I don't know about you or anyone else, but if I could just subscribe for 1 month at $15 to play through the latest Assassin's Creed or whatever instead of forking over $70 then yeah, I'd probably never be buying an Ubisoft game again.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but even then I think Sony might feel they have more to lose than to gain. Even if just 1 million people decide to play a brand new $70 Ubisoft release through Ubisoft+ instead of buying it through the PlayStation Store that's already $21million potential revenue Sony has lost.
And I don't know about you or anyone else, but if I could just subscribe for 1 month at $15 to play through the latest Assassin's Creed or whatever instead of forking over $70 then yeah, I'd probably never be buying an Ubisoft game again.

I agree with your take in general, but Ubisoft game prices drop faster than any other AAA so waiting for that $15/20 price point usually isn't an issue.

IMO Ubisoft charges too much for their service.

Templeusox

Oct 25, 2017
Status
Not open for further replies.