Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkknight2149

Ban made permanent due to harassment of staff
Banned
May 27, 2020
I have never played TLOU so when I finally get back into the Playstation ecosystem with a PS5, TLOU Remake is a great place for me and other consumers like me to start.
The Last of Us Remastered is playable on PlayStation 5 and never went away. I've honestly never understood the point "I missed it the first time" used to defend remakes of more recent games like Dead Space and The Last of Us. Do people refuse to play single-player games because they're not new releases, even if they still hold up and play smoothly? That's what this seemingly suggests.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
I would love to see the PS3 lineup comeback....I think all those IP deserve another chance...

Resistance
Socom
Motorstorm
Warhawk
Infamous
LBP (Keep it going)

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
So what was the deal with Motorstorm? Not played any of them since the only racing game I really touch is GT. Does it have a USP or is it just generally good?

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
The Last of Us Remastered is playable on PlayStation 5 and never went away. I've honestly never understood the point "I missed it the first time" used to defend remakes of more recent games like Dead Space and The Last of Us. Do people refuse to play single-player games because they're not new releases, even if they still hold up and play smoothly? That's what this seemingly suggests.
Well there's a chance of a remake being launched with the gameplay of TLOU2, which is a dramatically superior way to experience the first game's story. It might be sacrileges on forums, but most gamers actually DON'T go back and play old games. TLOUR is still a PS3 game with updated graphics and improved frame-rate. If i never played it, and knew a complete remaster was coming I would wait too.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
So what was the deal with Motorstorm? Not played any of them since the only racing game I really touch is GT. Does it have a USP or is it just generally good?

It was decently unique in a field of grounded racing sims, but fairly similar to DIRT in terms of being a game mostly about getting tons of huge air.

Well there's a chance of a remake being launched with the gameplay of TLOU2, which is a dramatically superior way to experience the first game's story. It might be sacrileges on forums, but most gamers actually DON'T go back and play old games. TLOUR is still a PS3 game with updated graphics and improved frame-rate. If i never played it, and knew a complete remaster was coming I would wait too.

The problem being, when does this stop? It's OKAY for old games to not have all the gameplay improvements of their sequels. Are we now supposed to expect Sony to re-re-remake TLOU1 AGAIN (and TLOU2 as well) after 3 comes out?

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I would love to see the PS3 lineup comeback....I think all those IP deserve another chance...

Resistance
Socom
Motorstorm
Warhawk
Infamous
LBP (Keep it going)

Preach!

Modnation Racers
MAG
Sly Cooper

I know it is unlikely that we will see most of these IPs return in new games any time soon, but that PS3 gen was my favorite for first party output. There was so much fun stuff to play.

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
It was very arcade and based on agressive full contact, extremely fun and easy to learn. When you get rammed and crash into a rock, it was much more a laugh out loud moment than a rage quit. Would be a perfect complement to the very sim-oriented GT. Much more so than driveclub.

But I think that sort of gameplay is a bit too simplistic for a modern racer. Open world world would work but they might as well rewrite a new game and call it the "spiritual successor" to motorstom, it's not like there's some story or characters to keep, they sure can reuse the concept and make it bigger and a more complex driving experience.

Portodutch

Feb 17, 2021
The problem being, when does this stop? It's OKAY for old games to not have all the gameplay improvements of their sequels. Are we now supposed to expect Sony to re-re-remake TLOU1 AGAIN (and TLOU2 as well) after 3 comes out?

I think Sony has been pretty good with the games that could use a remake (Demons Souls, Shadow of the Colossus) with TlOU its been a different story why its being remade and dont think its any indication that Sony will be going that way.

ShroudOfFate

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
The Last of Us is still a PS3 game at it's core. I love the game and still think it looks pretty good but I'd personally want to play a remake with changes/better visuals from Part 2 if it existed over the Remaster.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I think Sony has been pretty good with the games that could use a remake (Demons Souls, Shadow of the Colossus) with TlOU its been a different story why its being remade and dont think its any indication that Sony will be going that way.

And yet the argument people are trotting out is "the old one is so much worse to play it NEEDS to be remade". So what happens when TLOU3 has a ton of gameplay improvements too?

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
this weird fear mongering that TLOU could lead to Sony somehow doing nothing but remastering/remaking old games is so stupid and tired.

MrTomato

Jan 20, 2022
I don't really see the issue. No one forces you to buy or play the remake. It is developed by a small part of the ND development team.
The biggest criticism of TLOU1 was the gameplay. I just replayed it a few months ago and it is lacking in many ways. Feels like a PS3 game. Not PS4.
TLoU is my favorite franchise, but I just disagree with anyone telling me that the gameplay is great or "holds up".
TLoU2 improved on those aspects drastically, with excellent gameplay mechanics and level design. While a potential TLoU3 might improve many mechanics even more, the standard TLoU2 established won't need any remake. That's the difference. And even if that happened in 10+ years. Who cares? You will be able to ignore that one too.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
It was decently unique in a field of grounded racing sims, but fairly similar to DIRT in terms of being a game mostly about getting tons of huge air.

nah....it's not feasible for most games. TLOU brand is huge, and the first game might still be the more universally loved story since it's not as heavy as part 2. Sony isn't going to remake old Twisted Metal games, just gonna make new ones. Even if say a new Resistance comes, I don't expect any treatment like what TLOU/UC gets. It's just the huge games with potential to sell more units.

Oct 27, 2017
Dont Firesprite have some people who worked on Motorstorm?
That would make the Twisted Metal switch and this rumor not very likely imo as Firesprite would be working on it.

I'd prefer if Firesprite were working on Wipeout, if we're connecting dots between studios and rumoured games. Then again, perhaps they could do both.

My number 1 request for Motorstorm is that it isn't open world. Motorstorm is a track racing game, and I'd rather they focus on improving split route design and track deformation than chase what Forza Horizon is doing.

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it looks awesome. It reminds me of Gantz and it's Japanese developed, and not directed by The Evil Within 2 director, which was a major disappointment because The Evil Within 1 was incredible and I consider it a gem of a title.

Yes holy shit! It does have heavy Gantz vibes lol like an alternate bizarro Japan. And I'm right there with you when it comes to TEW. Finally got the plat last year and got the courage to tackle Akumu mode lol it made me appreciate this game so much and I'd even go as far as to say it's one of the best survival horror games of last gen.

SUBZERO-08

Oct 25, 2017
Reminder that Wushu Studios has some key staff that worked on Motorstorm: Pacific Rift and have even made a blog post about it before. If there is indeed a Motorstorm reboot in the works, they may be the ones working on it, possibly in collaboration with Lucid like Destruction AllStars was.

Personally I've been hoping for a remake or reboot for a long time. Nothing else has really scratched the same itch for me.

Darkknight2149

Ban made permanent due to harassment of staff
Banned
May 27, 2020
The biggest criticism of TLOU1 was the gameplay. I just replayed it a few months ago and it is lacking in many ways. Feels like a PS3 game. Not PS4.
I don't see how this is a defense of remakes. Most PlayStation 3 games still play fine and don't need to be remade. This is like saying any movie that's aged even a little bit needs to be remade from scratch.

Remakes are for games like Resident Evil 2 and Final Fantasy VII that are outdated as hell and are a burdon to play. Not for games that still hold up but don't have shiny 2022 mechanics and graphics. This is like refusing to watch a movie just because it came out more than twenty years ago or because it's in black-and-white. You're missing out at that point.

TLoU2 improved on those aspects drastically, with excellent gameplay mechanics and level design.
As every video game sequel should. Playing Batman: Arkham Asylum after Arkham City and Arkham Knight feels limiting in comparison. This isn't a reason to remake every game with a sequel from scratch and it supports PlanetSmasher's slittery slope argument, if anything.

And even if that happened in 10+ years. Who cares? You will be able to ignore that one too.
If you're okay with different creative teams redoing someone's work from scratch over and over indefinitely in a medium that already has expiration date/preservation issues, don't bother arguing that video games are art. At that point, they're just virtual toys.

One of my go-to examples is how the Demon's Souls remake radically changed the atmosphere, art direction, and "feel" of the original game and no one really seems to care. Video games are the only so-called "art" medium where people don't give a crap about authorship and creator intent, and it's outrageous.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, that's not what I'm suggesting. However, I'm explaining what appeal a PS5 exclusive remake of a hugely popular brand in TLOU that's only going to get even more exposure due to an HBO series will have and how Sony can capitalize on it.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
Yes holy shit! It does have heavy Gantz vibes lol like an alternate bizarro Japan. And I'm right there with you when it comes to TEW. Finally got the plat last year and got the courage to tackle Akumu mode lol it made me appreciate this game so much and I'd even go as far as to say it's one of the best survival horror games of last gen.
At the very least, TEW1 is the best RE4 style action horror game since, well RE4. It boggles my mind how people can say that RE4 is the best game of all time, and completely hate TEW1. It's a total head scratcher. TEW1 has all those things that RE4 had, like excellent enemy placement, enemy variety, upgrade system, weapon feedback, and great pacing. The sequel has none of that.

DrFreeman

May 9, 2020
Reminder that Wushu Studios has some key staff that worked on Motorstorm: Pacific Rift and have even made a blog post about it before. If there is indeed a Motorstorm reboot in the works, they may be the ones working on it, possibly in collaboration with Lucid like Destruction AllStars was.

Personally I've been hoping for a remake or reboot for a long time. Nothing else has really scratched the same itch for me.

Has the Wushu studios game been announced yet?

EDIT: Interesting to see their team has experience with a lot of arcade racers including MotorStorm Pacific Rift and Apocalypse, Grid, DriveClub, OnRush, Forza Horizon and more.

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
Yo, this is hilarious.

wait how do you know?

I've had one of my drunken rants picked up by Game Rant as an article. It was pretty hilarious.

Game Rant, if you're reading this, I know nothing. Don't use me as a source.

Don't think so.
That mithical Sony Insider place yet to be filled. Even Much failed us with his leak that HFW would be Gold today.
But we had this from that account.

Angie's shenanigans are something else. I'm not sure why I'm apparently an insider all so suddenly. It does feel like it will go gold any day, but Angie played that feeling against me and got some articles written. XD

Oct 27, 2017
A Last of Us remake is about as good a use of resources for PlayStation Studios as making Marvel games is.

It's fine if that's what the studio wants to do. I'll ignore the Last of Us remake and people can ignore the Marvel stuff :)

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
At the very least, TEW1 is the best RE4 style action horror game since, well RE4. It boggles my mind how people can say that RE4 is the best game of all time, and completely hate TEW1. It's a total head scratcher. TEW1 has all those things that RE4 had, like excellent enemy placement, enemy variety, upgrade system, weapon feedback, and great pacing. The sequel has none of that.

Have to agree. Everything in TEW is so meticulously designed. What really sets it apart from RE4 is that it's an actual survival horror game. What TEW does better than even RE is resource management. You're constantly thinking about everything in your inventory and the game has enough freedom to allow you to approach encounters in smart and different ways. I remember this game getting mixed reception and it was always confusing to me

MrTomato

Jan 20, 2022
I don't see how this is a defense of remakes. Most PlayStation 3 games still play fine and don't need to be remade. This is like saying any movie that's aged even a little bit needs to be remade from scratch.

Remakes are for games like Resident Evil 2 and Final Fantasy VII that are outdated as hell and are a burdon to play. Not for games that still hold up but don't have shiny 2022 mechanics and graphics. This is like refusing to watch a movie just because it came out more than twenty years ago or because it's in black-and-white. You're missing out at that point.
Well, that seems a little hypocritical of you. By your logic and comparison to movies, RE2 or FF7 also don't need a remake, because they are essentially "older" movies. And FF7 is definitely not "a burden to play". It's a classic turn-based RPG. The remake completely changed the gameplay mechanics and "feel". I still enjoyed it a lot, because I am not overly precious about older games and how they are "supposed to be" in my or your subjective view. The older versions are still available. I can separate the two.

As every video game sequel should. Playing Batman: Arkham Asylum after Arkham City and Arkham Knight feels limiting in comparison. This isn't a reason to remake every game with a sequel from scratch and it supports PlanetSmasher's slittery slope argument, if anything.
It's not up to you or me to decide what reasons make a remake viable or necessary. Would TLoU1 be on top of my personal list of games that need a remake? No, but they are doing it. Is it certainly also a cash grab? Sure, and I will gladly pay a reasonable price to play that game and am still excited.

If you're okay with different creative teams redoing someone's work from scratch over and over indefinitely in a medium that already has expiration date/preservation issues, don't bother arguing that video games are art. At that point, they're just virtual toys.
First, it's the same team redoing their own work. It also seems a little weird to argue what is art or not. It's completely subjective. Remaking or changing something doesn't devalue anything, make it more or less artistic. Art discussions in general are silly.

One of my go-to examples is how the Demon's Souls remake radically changed the atmosphere, art direction, and "feel" of the original game and no one really seems to care. Video games are the only so-called "art" medium where people don't give a crap about authorship and creator intent, and it's outrageous.

Using Demon's Souls as an example is very ironic, because the actual creator of the original really enjoyed the remake. It seems that hardcore fans are more sensitive to those kinds of "changes" and pretend to have more ownership than the original artists. And no, video games are not the only "art", where changes are made constantly. Look at movies. They not only have remakes, but director's cuts, theatrical cuts and different versions in general. Famous paintings are also repurposed constantly and used in different contexts.
This just sounds like some elitist perspective if I am being honest. It's not up to you, me or anyone else to decide what should be considered "art", what games need remakes or what is unnecessary.
If you dislike or disagree with a remake, then that is totally fair. Don't buy it. Speak with your wallet. It's really easy ;)
I just don't see the point of complaining about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.