• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Re: Bungie - should we think about a new thread name?

• No, let's stick with PlayStation Studios (atleast for now)

Votes: 500 82.6%
  • Yes, let's come up with a new name !

Votes: 105 17.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
I liked Second Son a lot at the time but Troy Baker in brownface is something I hope to never see again. If they bring back Delsin his design needs to change.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Sly Cooper works since it fits a genre niche that doesn't exist.

Stealth and a platformer. Heck most Sony first party platformers have enough different mechanics and gameplay that they exist differently from each other.

Jak being an open world platformer, more emphasis on the platformer bit then R&C which is more gun heavy. Ape Escape is a platformer but also focus on collectables, AstroBot is a pure traditional pure platformer, Tomba, etc...

Each having their own fanbase and offer different things.

Sharpeye

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I always wanted Infamous to go all into being a comic-like game, like having a system similar to the nemesis system (legally distinct of course). Random heroes and villains popping up and the story unfolds on how you deal with them. Infamous has a lot of potential as an IP so I'm glad Sony is seemingly still interested in it. I'm sure Sony is also interested in its TV and movie potential as well.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Though I think the biggest thing Sony should fill as soon as possible beyond GAAS/FPS games is having their own Fighting Game Franchise/I.P that they fully own and control as they dig themselves deeper into the FGC.

It doesn't necessarily need to be a crossover game either, heck longevity wise and control wise it would be better if it wasn't (just look at Smash and its issues it will have post Ultimate) but starting a new I.P fighting game from scratch may be hard.

Det

Jul 30, 2020
Anyone else subbed to both PS+ & PSNow? Both are showing up as PS+ under the subscription management tab on PSN (webpage). Must be more Spartacus back-end changes.

lapsu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 31, 2017
Weird. The name of my PlayStation Now subscription has changed to PlayStation Plus. I can still access PS Now games, though.

Macija

Aug 14, 2018
Even if it's something that can play PS4 games natively, which would not require to split their dev resources?
(Just speculating)
That could solve that problem, but I don't think it will be appealing for many people. Most likely it would not be able to play physical games so you could only share your digital library. I think that it would be just a worst Steam Deck.

JetroPT

Jun 11, 2019
Same. I'm subscribed to both, but know only the PS+ sub shows up. Can also still acess the PSNOW games.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
I watched the GDC talk about the melee combat of ghost of Tsushima and played that game a bit tonight and now I begin to understand why it feels so good. Every ability feels good and the focus on HUDless gameplay is great. I am fan of their design philosophy. It is crazy to me that I never tried a game from that studio.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
infamous-second-son-delsin-rowe.gif

Only thing I didn't like from Second Son was the Evil path.
Made no sense to me.
Same here. I feel like the writing for the Evil path was done last minute or at a later stage of development. The evil ending was just utter BS.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home

Stealth and a platformer. Heck most Sony first party platformers have enough different mechanics and gameplay that they exist differently from each other.
Honestly, the more I think about it, the more I believe that the collab between Sony Pictures Animation and PixelOpus could be the rumored Sly Cooper game. I would love to see a Sly Cooper movie with the aesthetics of Into The Spider-Verse or The Mitchells vs. The Machines. Sly Cooper' unique comic book style during cutscenes was what made it stand apart (beside the setting of course).

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, the more I think about it, the more I believe that the collab between Sony Pictures Animation and PixelOpus could be the rumored Sly Cooper game. I would love to see a Sly Cooper movie with the aesthetics of Into The Spider-Verse or The Mitchells vs. The Machines. Sly Cooper' unique comic book style during cutscenes was what made it stand apart (beside the setting of course).
Yeah Sly's cartoony nior style suits Sony Pictures Animation that likes to emphasis a comic like style.

It would fit like a glove if that was indeed the case.

EdReedFan20

Oct 25, 2017
This is new to me, but PlayStation finally started allowing you to purchase games that you previously redeemed via PS+. In the past if you redeemed a game, it was "owned" by you. There were times when a PS+ game was so much fun and I was willing to outright buy it, but I would be unable to do so. I started noticing last week that games I redeemed on PS+ were now allowing me to separately purchase it. Today, I went to download Fall Guys to show my sister and noticed it was on sale for $7. As that was one of the games I would officially purchase if given the chance, I went ahead and did it. I'm glad they made that change.

Oct 25, 2017
The original inFamous was one of my most anticipated / beloved games. My excitement was definitely born out of wanting a good open world sandbox superhero game but the traversal and lighting powers blew me away. Played that demo so much.

I liked infamous 2 and Second Son, they improved a lot on the gameplay but the original's story was the best IMO.

Probably never coming back with Insomniac filling the Super hero quota.

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I replayed through the entire Infamous series last year and Infamous 2 gameplay wise is the best one imo. I'd argue it's the best superhero games just in terms of what they allow you to do with Coles powers. He can use electric thrusters, ice jump, fire boost, lightning tether, grind rails, induction and detonation launch, etc. just for traversal. All his powers have awesome upgrades and then either a fire or ice counter part. If they do another sequel I want more of that

Last edited:

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
I actually prefer SS too if I am to be honest.

I am even fine with Troy coming back if need be. Just want fresh design.
If they continue InFamous to follow after Second Son's events. I would rather them just use Fetch. She's much more interesting as a character than Delsin ever was. Delsin is just Rogue from X-Men, but badly written.

The original inFamous was one of my most anticipated / beloved games. My excitement was definitely born out of wanting a good open world sandbox superhero game but the traversal and lighting powers blew me away. Played that demo so much.

I liked infamous 2 and Second Son, they improved a lot on the gameplay but the original's story was the best IMO.

Probably never coming back with Insomniac filling the Super hero quota.
Totally agree. The story in the first game was much more personal (to Cole). In the second, it just became a global crisis.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
My understanding is that this isn't really how it works. Just because a portable of similar power is available now, doesn't mean it's feasible to just effectively "shrink" PS4 tech into a portable form factor and have every game/software run natively. You'd essentially have to reconfigure every game to run on new hardware.

Yep. PS4 uses old, inefficient APU architectures along with 176GB/s GDDR5 RAM that is far too power hungry to ever work in a console. Steam Deck achieves a PS4-esque level of power not just through die shrinks, but also through using much more modern and efficient architectures that not only provide better performance per watt, but aren't as hungry for RAM bandwidth, so it can get away with "only" 88GB/s (which is still absolutely cutting-edge for mobile low-power RAM).

An actual PS4 portable would be really inefficient, and is probably totally out of the question until they can make a 3nm version of the chip, and I have absolutely no clue what they would do about the RAM.

Slippy

Oct 23, 2021
I wonder if it'll just be a blog post and video or will they have that rumoured "event" to describe Spartacus with a large audience. Surely they will start out with a huge bang for the new subscription. Like the rumour of 100's of PS1 games available at launch.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
I'm heavily suspecting something is happening with psnow and or psplus 🤔

It does feel as if Spartacus is poised to get revealed. Sony is just putting all their pieces into place. Its why there are so many insiders that are like, "there is an event in Marcxh." They could just be guessing, but it feels as if there will be one.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I'm heavily suspecting something is happening with psnow and or psplus 🤔

Well I heard from a friend that PS Plus is secretly having a love affair with PS Video Pass behind PS Now's back, and PS Now doesn't even suspect it! But even crazier, PS Now has been getting real close to Crunchyroll lately and I think they may be fooling around.

Me, I think all 4 of 'em need to just get together for one big foursome and live happily ever after 😃

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
I wonder if it'll just be a blog post and video or will they have that rumoured "event" to describe Spartacus with a large audience. Surely they will start out with a huge bang for the new subscription. Like the rumour of 100's of PS1 games available at launch.

Its funny you say that, because if I recall, gamepass wasn't unveiled at an event right? If I remember it was a blogpost or an article or something along those lines first. I could be remembering wrong.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I watched the GDC talk about the melee combat of ghost of Tsushima and played that game a bit tonight and now I begin to understand why it feels so good. Every ability feels good and the focus on HUDless gameplay is great. I am fan of their design philosophy. It is crazy to me that I never tried a game from that studio.

Sucker Punch has been one of my favorite studios since the Sly Cooper days, and it's been such a joy to see how they've grown and evolved over the years. I'd love to see them revisit Sly and inFAMOUS one day, but Ghost of Tsushima was fantastic, and easily one of the best gaming experiences I had in 2020. For me, it was the perfect palate cleanser after The Last of Us Part 2, another masterpiece, but it was so emotionally challenging and draining that having GoT release right after was wonderful for me. Not that Tsushima doesn't have a heavy story, but it wasn't aiming for the same raw, visceral emotion that TLOU2 was, and then the environment being so beautiful, alive, and awe-inspiring made it a much more relaxed experience overall.

I can't wait for GoT 2, but I'm hoping Sucker Punch returns to inFAMOUS (or that Bluepoint at least Remakes inFAMOUS 1 and 2). Sucker Punch has a very, I think, unique style to their games, that has carried over from Sly all the way to GoT, and I love it. One of the things I really like is the feel of movement in a Sucker Punch game. At this point, I want to call it "Classic Sucker Punch," in that, despite the difference in protagonists and style, they all have the same "feel," for lack of a better term. I guess the best way I can explain it in an example is in how characters like Sly, Cole, Delsin, Fetch, and Jin "snap" to objects when platforming or climbing structures, or the tightness and fluidity of movement and animation blending that's, in my opinion, very unique among the First Party studios. Even their graphic style is fairly consistent across IPs (ie, the cartoon title cards of Sly, the heavily inked "story scenes" in both inFAMOUS and Ghost of Tsushima, in particular).

When it comes to my favorite First Party Studios, Sucker Punch is absolutely high up on the list. But what a hard list it is for me to make, because so many of their studios are best in class, and you can literally chart that evolution across decades of work from them. It's really impressive stuff.

Related, but it's crazy to me how almost every First Party studio from Sony has at least 1 hit IP. That level of prestige is crazy to me:

Naught Dog: Uncharted and The Last of Us
Insomniac: Spider-Man and Ratchet & Clank
Santa Monica: God of War
Sucker Punch: Ghost of Tsushima
Guerrilla Games: Horizon
Polyphony Digital: Gran Turismo

The level of talent on deck is incredibly impressive, and those 6 are just the top ones that popped into my head. Hell, even Housemarque has a hit with Returnal, and they're on the verge of becoming another Sony studio with a transformative history for the better.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Weird. The name of my PlayStation Now subscription has changed to PlayStation Plus. I can still access PS Now games, though.
Same. Back-end branding merge before the new service launch I assume.

What stores? Which regions? PS5 store or web store? Did you get a fere PS NOW subscription?
PS NOW is still showing for me.

Edit: I checked the US store does not show PS NOW anymore while EU store still shows it.
Weird cus the article was written in Italian so no way that store got it first.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
So, is GTA V supposed to release in 12 days? After the rough rollout of the remastered trilogy, you'd think they'd be a bit more forthcoming with details on this thing.

Like...do I have to pay for an (singleplayer) upgrade?

Why do I know more about the Resident Evil ps5 versions than one that has its online coming out on ps plus in less than two weeks?

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
These were "their own Monster Hunter".

MV5BNGIzYTUxZWYtNDYzMy00YzY1LThmOGYtNTExZTRiMDI5N2I3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzg5OTk2OA@@._V1_.jpg

91bidL5mJxL.jpg

Only one expansion, no sequels ever, let alone a remaster/remake/PS4 port.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Man, both of those games were a lot of fun. It breaks my heart that the Vita didn't catch on, especially considering how superior of a handheld it was over the PSP. Honestly, it's still my favorite handheld to this day (and I own a 3DS also!). My Vita library is over 250 games at this point. I loved that fucking thing. I even broke down and bought a PS Vita TV last year so I could revisit some of them on my TV, since my Vita is currently retired. That OLED screen though...so beautiful...

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017

Jak being an open world platformer, more emphasis on the platformer bit then R&C which is more gun heavy. Ape Escape is a platformer but also focus on collectables, AstroBot is a pure traditional pure platformer, Tomba, etc...

Each having their own fanbase and offer different things.
Yup, gimme some Sly Cooper goodness.

Yeah, they all offer something different, would love to see more of them make it back.

Yup, it'd be perfect.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
We're all going to be subbed to CrunchyRoll if we like it or not.

And it shall be GLORIOUS! 😃

Sony taking on all other media subscription services in existence with a singular service would be something exciting to see! The only iffy part would be music, but it'd be cool if they could still fit that in there.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017

Sony taking on all other media subscription services in existence with a singular service would be something exciting to see! The only iffy part would be music, but it'd be cool if they could still fit that in there.
We're not even going to get anime, everything will just be called Crunchyroll.

redbomb6

Sep 22, 2021
Infamous 2 was my favourite game of all time at some point. In fact, I was never really into gaming forums back then as I was more into NBA forums like realgm, but I actually hung around the sucker punch forums for a couple years. I loved the first Infamous so much and wanted to be part of the hype for Infamous 2.

I actually felt that Infamous Second Son was a step down in so many ways. The fact that the powers felt samey after a while let me down so much. Infamous 2 really made the ice or napalm powers feel unique and distinct and Cole's powers were great. I also think Infamous 2 had a low key amazing soundtrack with the sounds of New Orleans playing a big role.

This is why I'm really rooting for the success of Forspoken to revive the range based superhero genre. I liked the Spider-Man and Batman Arkham games, but nothing beats having the power in your fingertips.

Lastly, these games would be amazing in VR. Imagining Infamous and Forspoken where you essentially feel like a souped up battle mage sounds amazing. There was also this video from years ago that makes me think it's a possibility.
youtu.be

Controlling a PlayStation with your eyes: 'Infamous: Second Son' | GDC 2014

Sean Hollister throws fireballs wherever he looks in Sony's gaze-tracking demo at GDC 2014.Subscribe: http://www.youtube.com/subscription_center?add_user=the...

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia

I feel like people will be very disappointed if they expect to get subs for games, anime, music for cheap. How is that gonna work out financially? Each division will still need to be paid. I can't help thinking if they have all in one subs like that. It's gonna be expensive

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like people will be very disappointed if they expect to get subs for games, anime, music for cheap. How is that gonna work out financially? Each division will still need to be paid. I can't help thinking if they have all in one subs like that. It's gonna be expensive
plus it would be optional, a side thing for those that are subbed to more then one thing, sold as some bundle pack and not their actual main objective/sub model

it probably won't even be marketed lol since they'd probably rather people individual sub to each thing independently

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017

Well each division can have its own dedicated thing, but tier 3 of Spartacus could be the all-in-one pool.
So for example gamers can sub to tier 2 of Spartacus for gaming only content. Anime lovers can sub to CR for anime content only. But if you want it all with a wide variety of entertainment media, then Tier 3 of Spartacus is it :)

I imagine a future where Sony pulls all of its film/TV content from all the other various sub services that currently host them (2-3 years down the road) and put everything under their umbrella on their own service, past and future. That package will also let folks watch all that anime from CR. And play all the games that Tier 2 of Spartacus would offer plus whatever other benefits like demo features and whatnot.

Offer a scattershot of media encompassing a wide array of mediums and give folks a chance to explore and find new and exciting things in the treasure trove that is Tier 3 of Spartacus. Entrench them deeper into the ecosystem.

That's my vision at least 😁

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Sony going to lease me SIE, Sony Pictures and Sony Music for $16 a month

Yup, and the best part for them is they can continue what they're doing now with releasing major movies in theaters and huge AAA tentpole releases on PSN without having to put them on the subscription service. They'll continue to make bank like they are now. Then several months after each launch they can then put that content on Tier 3 of Spartacus to further sweeten the pot of their own sub service.

It's the perfect, "have their cake and eat it too" approach IMO.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
Yup, and the best part for them is they can continue what they're doing now with releasing major movies in theaters and huge AAA tentpole releases on PSN without having to put them on the subscription service. They'll continue to make bank like they are now. Then several months after each launch they can then put that content on Tier 3 of Spartacus to further sweeten the pot of their own sub service.

It's the perfect, "have their cake and eat it too" approach IMO.

I'm greenlighting Spider-Verse 3-16 and cancelling every other Spider spinoff, lol

Status
Not open for further replies.