Status
Not open for further replies.

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
Which PlayStation first party studio do you think has the best logo?

jk31Qct_d.webp

Haven-Studios.png

And Bend has a newer one:
bend-studio-blogroll-1654632060621.jpg

In another timeline this is the best PlayStation First Party studio logo:

Ready-at-Dawn.jpg

😭

Galatico91

May 23, 2020
That's not going to work; $70 for a GAAS even with a story mode is going to be a tough sell for the crowd interested only in the MP aspect.

I think people are overstimating the "story mode", i really really doubt it's going to be something even close to TLOU let alone TLOU 2.

If i have to guess PS4/PS5/PC at launch, F2P with cross-play.

If they want to make Warzone or Apex Legends revenue, debuting with a high price at release is not the right way at all.

For me, at least, I think the "story" ND says TLOU Online will have will be more in the line of something like Left 4 Dead, but much higher quality.

Online game + interesting characters + interesting factions + events and updates that introduces story to the online game like something Fortnite and COD is doing but much higher quality and in ND standarts.

Last edited:

Smitch

The Unshakable Resolve of "this guy are sick"
Apr 21, 2022
I've left out PixelOpus as there's some speculation their game with Sony Pictures might be related to an existing IP
I think their games is an established IP per their job listing
Capture_decran_2022-07-18_a_12.54.15.png

boards.greenhouse.io

PlayStation Global

Pretty sure Destiny 2 and Rocket League did not bomb before going F2P. Some even are still behind a paywall, like Rainbow Six Siege.
You can't compare those game with now we are not in 2017 since now their is a lot more competition and people are more used to f2p gaas game
And also rocket league was a ps plus launch game

Doctor Avatar

Banned
Jan 10, 2019
Pretty sure Destiny 2 and Rocket League did not bomb before going F2P. Some even are still behind a paywall, like Rainbow Six Siege.

Destiny 2 isn't really free to play. Nobody that plays it considers it so. More like free to start.

Rocket league has no competition. No game is like it.

Siege is constantly on sale for next to nothing and was big before F2P became huge which helped. A bit like Dead by Daylight. And much like rocket league these games are so vastly different than anything else they don't have huge competition.

And I'm saying this as someone who plays Destiny 2, Rocket League and Siege at least weekly.

Games that are totally unique and became big before there was much competition and F2P became the standard worked. If siege released today for $70 it would be DOA.

The Halo example should show you that going F2P form the start is not the solution to all problems. The quality is what matters.

The fact that Halo, yes HALO, is free to play and still can't compete tells you how competitive the market it is. A $70 GASS will bomb, no matter how good it is. Especially if it is not available on Xbox. A $20 one that is completely unique and excellent might do ok.

But ultimately since these games make all their money from battle passes and cosmetics etc what is the benefit of releasing full price other than hurting your chances of being successful?

Having the game be part of PS+ essential I think is likely Sony's best bet if they want to eek a little extra profit out of it.

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
Factions isn't going to be F2P. The only way I see that happening is if it bombs or something. Which I doubt will happen. I really hope they learn from all of the games out there on how to monetize stuff if it's going to be a $70 gaas game. If anything it will be similar to the Division 2 in terms of content for both single player and multiplayer stuff.

Broseph

Mar 2, 2021
I don't see a PC launch even being successful if the game is 70 bucks at launch. That just sounds like a game they turn to f2p after like two months

Portodutch

Feb 17, 2021
If it has a solo mode (I think FF14 is going to implement that so something similar) then I can see full price working out.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
For me, at least, I think the "story" ND says TLOU Online will have will be more in the line of something like Left 4 Dead, but much higher quality.

Online game + interesting characters + interesting factions + events and updates that introduces story to the online game like something Fortnite and COD is doing but much higher quality and in ND standarts.
I am expecting something like The Division.
I really think you will be able to play the game "solo".
Destiny 2 isn't really free to play. Nobody that plays it considers it so. More like free to start.

Siege is constantly on sale for next to nothing and was big before F2P became huge which helped. A bit like Dead by Daylight. And much like rocket league these games are so vastly different than anything else they don't have huge competition.

And I'm saying this as someone who plays Destiny 2, Rocket League and Siege at least weekly.

Games that are totally unique and became big before there was much competition and F2P became the standard worked. If siege released today for $70 it would be DOA.

The fact that Halo, yes HALO, is free to play and still can't compete tells you how competitive the market it is. A $70 GASS will bomb, no matter how good it is. Especially if it is not available on Xbox. A $20 one that is completely unique and excellent might do ok.

But ultimately since these games make all their money from battle passes and cosmetics etc what is the benefit of releasing full price other than hurting your chances of being successful?

Having the game be part of PS+ essential I think is likely Sony's best bet if they want to eek a little extra profit out of it.
The Division 2 failed to meet expectation in 2019. Ubi said it was because of competition (which one?) while I think it is more about the game being full price and GaaS.

Now, The Division 3 was killed and we will have The Division Heartland, which is F2P. And from what we got, it won't have an story.

So, even with the "power" of Naughty Dog, I also don't think a $70 GaaS game have a chance.

Woozy

Feb 22, 2022

I agree with you that a $70 GaaS is generally a hard sell but I think more so for new IP. A well established and popular IP like The Last of Us I think can get away with it, similar to CoD.

Det

Jul 30, 2020
I don't see a PC launch even being successful if the game is 70 bucks at launch. That just sounds like a game they turn to f2p after like two months

It will absolutely bomb releasing a GaaS game for $70 on PC. And anything less than full price is pointless if the intention to recoup your investment through MTX, since you're just gate keeping the audience with a price barrier. Make it F2P with MTX and story DLC like D2 if it does indeed have significant PvE elements.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
If there was ever a time to pick "everybody loves raymond", is now.

Also can "stray closer" be used together? Aren't those words like opposite from each other?

Chris Metal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
a little bit late, but here it is

you can vote for the poll of the next OT

take.quiz-maker.com

Have your say: PlayStation Studios OT30

Voice your opinion on the poll: PlayStation Studios OT30
Dude... :(
PlayStation Studios |OT30| I'll Buy That Remake For A Dollar!
PlayStation Studios |OT30| Is The New 20.
PlayStation Studios |OT30| Will This OT Be Free On Extra/Premium?
PlayStation Studios |OT30| Posted In The Last Thread Already, It's The Same.
PlayStation Studios |OT30| Hire Fans.
PlayStation Studios |OT30| "Lookout"
PlayStation Studios |OT30| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
Izanagi89 it's why Capcom is the most important acquisition (Outside of FROM) Sony can make IMHO, they just understand gameplay and have as many evergreen titles as Nintendo almost. They really need a few more gameplay-first studios to round out the portfolio. Capcom like instantly fixes this.

I don't think Capcom'll ever happen 😅 that said I agree that more gameplay first studios will go a long way in rounding out and diversifying their portfolio. More games that control and play as sublimely as Returnal please 🙏

OP
OP
JuanLatino

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017

Sorry Chris
i try to include as many users as possible, so when i filter the suggestions out and see one user with multiple of them i only pick one or two.
tough i should have informed this group about that process, so my bad :/
I pay more attention to it next time

Hope you had a great vacation

thank you Angie, it was fantastic. Now it's back to counting the days for Ragnarok....

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
I am surprised the unnecessary remake doesn't have more votes! I am always in favour of tongue in cheek taking the piss out of each other style titles.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I may never get tired of Returnal. My friends keep asking me to help them in their campaigns & I have zero issues doing so.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Which PlayStation first party studio do you think has the best logo?

jk31Qct_d.webp

Haven-Studios.png

And Bend has a newer one:
bend-studio-blogroll-1654632060621.jpg

Late to this but I have to go with Firesprite and Naughty Dog (Whenever you just see the red paw you know you're in for something special, the sign of a great brand).

I'll give an honourable mention to Psygnosis (Later Studio Liverpool) though (And it'll make Sidewinder very happy :P )

psygnosis.jpg

Fuck me this logo just has STYLE.

Status
Not open for further replies.