• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EddIs

Jul 13, 2022
My understanding is that you will probably able to play HFW dlc from the start if you want, you will just get max lvl Aloy. But the story is after main story credits so there will be spoilers for people who didn't finish yet

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
I always delete saves when I finish a game because I very rarely replay things. Hard drive space is too precious these days.

That's the oddest thing I read in this OT, lol.

I could never delete a save file just like that even though I rarely replay things.

Though, I even kept Horizon and Elden Ring installed after finishing them as I expected expansions.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
My understanding is that you will probably able to play HFW dlc from the start if you want, you will just get max lvl Aloy. But the story is after main story credits so there will be spoilers for people who didn't finish yet
No, the blogpost explicitly states the dlc starts when Aloy receives a message after completing the final mission.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Lol damn, you're min maxing your storage space, that's wild.

That's the oddest thing I read in this OT, lol.

I could never delete a save file just like that even though I rarely replay things.

Though, I even kept Horizon and Elden Ring installed after finishing them as I expected expansions.

People really be saving the wildest stuff for the last page lol
Why hold on to something I'm almost certainly never going to touch again?

Y'all judgmental af, damn lol. It's video games. Not like I'm throwing out old family photos.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't realize people be deleting their saves like that

Got burned by it once accidentally with Gravity Rush 2 and its DLC, never again, you never know when you'll need it in the future, and 99% of the time there's something more worthwhile to delete anyhow

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
Shame that you can't back up saves through USB anymore on PS5.

If I need space, games will be the first to go.
Then moving screenshots and captured videos to backup.
Last resort is deleting saves. Probably. Never really gotten into a situation that I needed to do that.

Syne

Feb 5, 2023
UK

Y'all judgmental af, damn lol. It's video games. Not like I'm throwing out old family photos.
Haha sorry man I've just never heard of anyone doing this before, no judgement I promise!
Maybe a tiny bit lol

Surely you can't get that much space back though? Like the first thing I would go to would be games

JAY_HORROR

Sep 27, 2021
I can post a video of me deleting my Ragnarok save if you'd like :)
terrified-14.gif.webp

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Haha sorry man I've just never heard of anyone doing this before, no judgement I promise!
Maybe a tiny bit lol

Surely you can't get that much space back though? Like the first thing I would go to would be games
It really depends on the game. Some are super efficient with data and others... not so much.

It's a habit of mine spawned from a decade+ of playing NBA2K. In that series, basically every single save in every single mode appears separately in your drive. So if you're like me and play a ton of franchise modes and such, we're talking gigabytes of data just sitting around doing nothing. During the PS4 days, I found myself constantly wondering why my drive was so full. Figured it out lol.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017

I mean, this is a good example of why you should hold onto your save data. Who knows, the third game could unlock extra things if it recognizes previous save data too you never know.

All of my save data is a few gigs at most and with cloud storage, I don't have to worry about console space.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Yeah idk deleting your save data immediately after finishing a game seems rash lol, even if this didnt require story completion it would still require a save file with some progression. Very few expansions to open world games are completely standalone

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah idk deleting your save data immediately after finishing a game seems rash lol, even if this didnt require story completion it would still require a save file with some progression. Very few expansions to open world games are completely standalone
Right. And for good reason. I've spent a lot of time earning my machine overrides. Finishing my skill tree. Upgrading my equipment. I wouldn't want all of that to go away just to make the DLC a stand-alone game.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think you all understand. I don't revisit games. Like... ever. It's mind-numbingly boring playing something I've already experienced. It's something that even translates to a lot of sequels for me. It may seem odd but it's a personal thing :)

Last time I went back for more was Bloodborne eight years ago. Oh. And the Hitman World of Assassination Trilogy... but replaying levels over and over is the entire point of that franchise (they're also GOAT-tier).

Oct 27, 2017

I do like this but I think the new tagline should be something in tribute to Lance Reddick.

Lol, perfect response. Although I think what they'll probably aim to do is use this for side characters/incidental dialogue, I can't imagine any serious writers would be happy with this.

I'd love to see Tony Todd work with more PlayStation Studios on games. Another iconic voice. I know we're in the "too soon" stages of grieving but maybe if Guerrilla decides to replace Sylens with a new character they could reach out to Tony?

Definitely too soon. Take some time and then decide if they're going to recast Sylens or replace him with another character. I think rushing into these decisions creates a situation like with Black Panther, where the MCU feels like it is now missing what should have been one of its main characters going forwards.

Last night before a new thread 🥺

Thanks for the Ooze leak.

Has there been more info on the 'Ooze' game or are you referring to something else?

Syne

Feb 5, 2023
UK
It really depends on the game. Some are super efficient with data and others... not so much.

It's a habit of mine spawned from a decade+ of playing NBA2K. In that series, basically every single save in every single mode appears separately in your drive. So if you're like me and play a ton of franchise modes and such, we're talking gigabytes of data just sitting around doing nothing. During the PS4 days, I found myself constantly wondering why my drive was so full. Figured it out lol.
Ah that makes more sense then, if it works for you it works for you!

I'm usually fine with deleting local saves if I have them in the cloud but Sony has a bullshit limit on the number of saves you can have uploaded, which is nowhere near enough to even make a dent in the 100gb they give you 🤷🏻‍♂️

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Less secrecy in the movie business may be due to movies being easier to produce. Movies are also much older than games, so a lot of the process is streamlined and you "just" need the talent to make good products. Games still have all sorts of technical issues and delays because of that, so I think, while it is an industry norm, the production of videogames is just a lot more volatile than movies.

This leads me to my hot take, the next breakthrough in gaming isn't going to be graphics or gameplay, but making games easier so ideas can be put to a product in a much more timely fashion.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that's bizarre. The space is negligible.
I wouldn't even delete saves off my PS2 memory cards. I'd just buy more memory.

See, I had to do that. Especially later in the gen when EA started in with these player/career modes in their sports titles. Those things took up waaaaaaay to much space on my itty bitty 8mb card.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think you all understand. I don't revisit games. Like... ever. It's mind-numbingly boring playing something I've already experienced. It's something that even translates to a lot of sequels for me. It may seem odd but it's a personal thing :)

Last time I went back for more was Bloodborne eight years ago. Oh. And the Hitman World of Assassination Trilogy... but replaying levels over and over is the entire point of that franchise (they're also GOAT-tier).

Well like others said, it's not just about replaying them one day if you feel inclined, but situations like this where DLC or a sequel might rely on having old save data, I wouldn't want to lose out on that just because of some (usually) negligible space taking up space. At the very least, not for a game tha

Not the end of the world obviously, you do you, but yea, your situation where now you're essentially locked out of Burning Shores is the kind of thing I always want to avoid

Suntzupp

Mar 26, 2022
Playing Tchia now. It's cute and fun. Just the game I need. Now after seeing the preorder page opened up I can't wait to kill some new monstrous machines that Guerilla designed for the Horizon expansion. Hope it's a lengthy one like frozen wilds. That was a fantastic one. I liked that more than the main game

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ

Seconded this, (what turned into being a hot take) lol

I don't delete saves (unless they are taking up a ton of space) but I find it really hard to go back to games after I beat them. I hate expanded DLC kinda lol. I still never played BloodBorne Old Hunters. I put 150+ hrs into something, I'm DONE.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I get where you are coming from. I rarely replay stuff myself. Personally though, I like to keep save files just incase. Unless I'm way off, they don't take up that much space in the grand scheme of things. maybe a few GB's at best total?

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017

I mean many times I dont revisit either. But I still keep my save lol

Syne

Feb 5, 2023
UK
See, I had to do that. Especially later in the gen when EA started in with these player/career modes in their sports titles. Those things took up waaaaaaay to much space on my itty bitty 8mb card.
I had to do it as a kid on ps1 since I was dumb and didn't know how they worked. I kept making a new save instead of overwriting and suddenly it wouldn't let me save anymore since I filled it up lol

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
I always delete saves when I finish a game because I very rarely replay things. Hard drive space is too precious these days.

Didn't keep my save data and you have to finish the main story to access Burning Shores.
Even if you just have the base PS5 storage, save files are going to be like a tiny fraction of a percent.
Even when memory is tight, I usually don't bother with anything under half a gig.

Although I've stopped caring altogether with an 8TB external drive.

OneEyedJuliet

Jan 20, 2020
OOoooh! Saying goodbye to this thread by pre-ordering Burning Shores :)

Pleasantly surprised that the DLC is "only" $20, although that probably means it's not a very substantial expansion of the game? I'm good as long as it's the same length as Frozen Wilds.

TazKa

Oct 27, 2017
OOoooh! Saying goodbye to this thread by pre-ordering Burning Shores :)

Pleasantly surprised that the DLC is "only" $20, although that probably means it's not a very substantial expansion of the game? I'm good as long as it's the same length as Frozen Wilds.

I just checked Frozen Wilds price at launch was 20 bucks too and how long to beat shows 7, 5 hours to complete the main missions, completionists shows 17,5 hours for everything.

I am surprised too that Burning Shores is still 20 bucks, I would have thought 30-40 bucks.
But I will not complain and set my preorder in a minute.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Finally played Stray. Wasn't sure what to expect, but now I understand why it had so many nominations for GOTY and it sits at 97% on Steam with 100k+ reviews.

What a cool little game.

Status
Not open for further replies.