• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will buy Final Fantasy XVI

• Yes (at launch)

Votes: 447 65.0%
  • Yes (at a later date)

Votes: 102 14.8%
  • Maybe (waiting for reviews and impressions)

Votes: 59 8.6%
  • No

Votes: 80 11.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
Well well well. New previews dropping πŸ‘€

View: https://twitter.com/gameinformer/status/1670808964576038916

Dont the games mention that Adol had over a hundred/hundreds of adventures? Falcom's gonna take forever to show us all of them! (and they'll somehow then take even longer to remake Ys V!)

Yup lol His perpetually in adventure mode. We'll never get through them all in our lifetime :D

Need that psvr2 version so you can really feel that handhold

Eye to eye contact while holding hands. Kawaiiiiiiiii.

Syne

Feb 5, 2023
UK

Cu_4jOeUIAAsLYW.jpg

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Y'all think FFXVI could give TotK (and Starfield maybe?) a run for it's money with GOTY outlets? I certainly wouldn't mind since it would be a less predictable result especially with the amount of strong contenders this year.
I'm not sure…I think it'll be one of the better FF games and score 90+

But reviews really like deep mechanical games that are layered with systems like Zelda and Starfield. FF16 performances and combat mechanics have to be outstanding to even be in the conversation, but I would say mechanics are more valued than performances so Zelda and Starfield will take more awards.

But if that happens it's tomatoes tomato's imho. SE and Sony would be super happy for a 90+ "best FF story ever" game this year.

boltz

Banned
Feb 15, 2023
I'm not sure…I think it'll be one of the better FF games and score 90+

But reviews really like deep mechanical games that are layered with systems like Zelda and Starfield. FF16 performances and combat mechanics have to be outstanding to even be in the conversation, but I would say mechanics are more valued than performances so Zelda and Starfield will take more awards.

But if that happens it's tomatoes tomato's imho. SE and Sony would be super happy for a 90+ "best FF story ever" game this year.
I can say with good faith that 16 has a great chance of hitting 90+ based on what i played this morning :)

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Gonna have to try and finish that FF16 demo sometime today or tomorrow. Only got about 45 mins to an hour in and things keep coming up.

Still unsure if it's something I'd wanna buy, so we'll see where the demo leads me 😁

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017

Nicola Sebastiani was a high-profile appointment when he joined in 2021, having previously led Apple's business management team before becoming Apple Arcade's head of content, in an eight-year stint at the iPhone maker.

Sebastiani was responsible for building PlayStation's mobile team and was key in Sony's acquisition of Savage Game Studios.

UPDATE19TH JUN 2023 / 5:54 PM

According to their LinkedIn profiles, Kris Davies and Olivier Courtemanche have been promoted to co-heads of mobile at PlayStation Studios.

As reported by MobileGamer.biz, Davis joined PlayStation as senior director and head of mobile business development in April 2022, having previous worked at Kabam, Beeline Interactive and Capcom.

Courtemanche was appointed senior director and head of mobile product at PlayStation Studios in April 2022, having joined from Meta.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
You'll know what you want to do when you reach the end of it :)

Hehe, we shall see. I need something to break away from Destiny 2 for a while since it's the endless black hole that sucks in all my gaming time. Spider-Man 2 is too far away, so FF16 might be able to fill that role. We shall see.

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
Usually with executives they hire externally, they need to show results quickly or they get the axe. He had 2 years and the plan probably wasn't good enough for Sony's leadership. Especially given what he was probably paid and his supposed expertise.

It's also likely that Sony's mobile vision changed over the past 2 years as well.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
I think Savage was working on some third-person shooter mobile game that looked pretty promising from the prototype footage we saw a while back. I think Sony will need to buy more mobile studios to make a dent in the mobile space though.

JAY_HORROR

Sep 27, 2021
I think Savage was working on some third-person shooter mobile game that looked pretty promising from the prototype footage we saw a while back. I think Sony will need to buy more mobile studios to make a dent in the mobile space though.
Yea that is obvious no clue who though. Then again we had no idea about Savage before. So it will be interesting to see.

Rixam

Jan 2, 2023
I assume they have more games than just Savage's multiplayer game so maybe they'll wait to see how the games turn out before acquiring more mobile studios?

I do wonder how many mobile games they're currently working on - I remember seeing a Team Asobi job listing relating to an external mobile game so they must exist...

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if anyone picked it up yet, but A9VG's favorite leaker Xun posted a new thread on Friday, June 16: https://bbs.a9vg.com/thread-8920308-1-1.html

For some context, Xun regularly leaks PlayStation-related announcements with image-based riddles, which are usually spot on.

Here's the GIF:

XG167U4.gif

And more importantly, here are the two frames of the GIF:

BsfpoSk.gif

9pTue3D.gif

The map in the first frame of the GIF is directly from Shin Megami Tensei V:

U48HIdI.jpg

The text on the screen in the second image reads "Complete Edition" several times over. This screen is a reference to a glitch from Shin Megami Tensei 1, as pointed out by Tfritz.

vnpBVPX.jpeg

To the left of the GIF you can see Stephen Hawking. The Shin Megami Tensei series features a wheelchair-bound recurring character named Stephen, who notably did not appear in Shin Megami Tensei V: https://megamitensei.fandom.com/wiki/Stephen

And the image itself is directly from the Shin Megami Tensei 2021 concert:

pcSDHDv.jpg

Based on all this, I'm guessing he's teasing a "Shin Megami Tensei V: Complete Edition" announcement soon. Maybe at the rumored Nintendo Direct (but for all platforms)?

Edit: The image itself is literally from the Shin Megami Tensei 2021 concert. Updated above.

Edit 2: The "Complete Edition" screen is a reference to a glitch from Shin Megami Tensei 1, as pointed out by Tfritz. Updated above.

Edit 3: The map image is actually directly from Shin Megami Tensei V. Updated above.

Last edited:

Κroηos

Jul 27, 2022
Yes, it is obvious that if they want to enter the mobile market, they have to have several studios. The problem is, what mobile studios are there? I only know Madfinger. Unless Sony acquires a publisher that also has mobile games *cough* Square *cough*

Syne

Feb 5, 2023
UK
Not sure if anyone picked it up yet, but A9VG's favorite leaker Xun posted a new thread on Friday, June 16: https://bbs.a9vg.com/thread-8920308-1-1.html

For some context, Xun regularly leaks PlayStation-related announcements with image-based riddles, which are usually spot on.

Here's the GIF:

XG167U4.gif

BsfpoSk.gif

9pTue3D.gif

The text on the screen in the second image reads "Complete Edition" several times over. To the left you can see Stephen Hawking

The Shin Megami Tensei series features a wheelchair-bound recurring character named Stephen, who notably did not appear in Shin Megami Tensei V: https://megamitensei.fandom.com/wiki/Stephen

The map in the first frame of the GIF is also reminiscent of Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne's:

m8LMx65.jpg

Based on all this, I'm guessing he's teasing a "Shin Megami Tensei V: Complete Edition" announcement soon. Maybe at the rumored Nintendo Direct (but for all platforms)?
Don't give Dust hope

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Here's the GIF:

XG167U4.gif

BsfpoSk.gif

9pTue3D.gif

The text on the screen in the second image reads "Complete Edition" several times over. To the left you can see Stephen Hawking.

The Shin Megami Tensei series features a wheelchair-bound recurring character named Stephen, who notably did not appear in Shin Megami Tensei V: https://megamitensei.fandom.com/wiki/Stephen

The map in the first frame of the GIF is also reminiscent of Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne's:

m8LMx65.jpg

WHAT. Sal with the megatons.

JAY_HORROR

Sep 27, 2021

Here's the GIF:

XG167U4.gif

BsfpoSk.gif

9pTue3D.gif

The text on the screen in the second image reads "Complete Edition" several times over. To the left you can see Stephen Hawking.

m8LMx65.jpg

This is one of the holes in gaming history never played one in the series. Looking forward to this.

crimilde

Oct 26, 2017

Here's the GIF:

XG167U4.gif

BsfpoSk.gif

9pTue3D.gif

m8LMx65.jpg

Sal on the case as usual! Definitely interested in this, I did all the routes on Switch but I wouldn't mind a replay, it's been a while.