• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017

View: https://x.com/mrpyo1/status/1779992336371486804?s=46&t=I90PFSXgLK9Q-K8utzvhLQ

Has to be studied? I enjoyed Ghost Of Tsushima but are some people really that clueless?

The game has inconsistent cinematics throughout and many side missions look like stick men talking at times.

So many basic and low poly textures throughout the world.

The world exploration for the most part is pretty barebones with very basic activities

Mission design is extremely basic for majority of the game with barely any set pieces

The budget makes COMPLETE sense. 🤦🏽‍♂️

Your post isn't any better here nothing is that simple as you try and boil it down too.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
My impression was that Spider-Man 2 wasnt that expensive to develop, at least compared to some. It's just the licensing costs are what makes it crazy. And marketing as well really.

And there is clear fidelity and animation differences between something like Ghosts and Last of Us 2. Which is fine, that's not a knock against Ghosts, but it is clear why there's a budget difference. And maybe that's the point, maybe the next ND game doesn't need to be crazy. Like Ellie taking apart guns in Last of Us 2, that is crazy impressive but maybe they don't need to go that far :p

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
And maybe that's the point, maybe the next ND game doesn't need to be crazy. Like Ellie taking apart guns in Last of Us 2, that is crazy impressive but maybe they don't need to go that far :p
annoyed-side-eye-reaction-bmgf4e483585qqyf.gif

BRVR

Mar 9, 2022
Your post isn't any better here nothing is that simple as you try and boil it down too.

Yes it isn't that black and white but i'm willing to bet a million bucks that the points I mention play a decent part. All those things cost a lot of time and resources.

A game like spider-man 2 (maybe in a different city or state?) could be cheaper to develop but even then the game is significantly more impressive than Ghost Of Tsushima.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
My impression was that Spider-Man 2 wasnt that expensive to develop, at least compared to some. It's just the licensing costs are what makes it crazy. And marketing as well really.

SM2 was extremely expensive. From Insomniac leaks we know costs with devs were around 297M$ (244M$ for Insomniac, 26M$ for Creative Arts and the remaining for other stuff like localization or QA). At peak produtcion they had close to 400 people working on it (just from Insomniac).

This is without licensing costs or marketing.

Logan Hardy

Dec 26, 2018

View: https://x.com/mrpyo1/status/1779992336371486804?s=46&t=I90PFSXgLK9Q-K8utzvhLQ

Has to be studied? I enjoyed Ghost Of Tsushima but are some people really that clueless?

The game has inconsistent cinematics throughout and many side missions look like stick men talking at times.

The world exploration for the most part is pretty barebones with very basic activities

Mission design is extremely basic for majority of the game with barely any set pieces

I have played both ghost and spidey 2 and at the end i was more moved by ghost than spidey 2 , because they kept the scope small and personal and knew what goals were more important to put money in. I have my grievances with ghost but it's shortcomings will be rectified in the sequel with a bigger budget as they have proven themselves they got the stuff. I think gameplay of spidey 2 improved a lot from the original but story was still just going bigger and bigger and losing focus. Only interesting thing from the story was when peter went "bad" and that lasted for 3/4 missions , that should've been the focus of the game imo but alas rant over on insomniac lol

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
SM2 was extremely expensive. From Insomniac leaks we know costs with devs were around 297M$ (244M$ for Insomniac, 26M$ for Creative Arts and the remaining for other stuff like localization or QA). At peak produtcion they had close to 400 people working on it (just from Insomniac).

This is without licensing costs or marketing.

Ah fair enough, I stand corrected then!

Maybe is me being pessimist, but starting to doubt the showcase.
Seems no rumors of anything other than the Grubb

It is still a ways off assuming it is toward the end of May like the last one, so plenty of time for more leaks. Grubb isn't always accurate, but he has a good track record for showcases and SoPs in the past.

gt123

Apr 2, 2021
Maybe is me being pessimist, but starting to doubt the showcase.
Seems no rumors of anything other than the Grubb
But Grubb is usually right about showcases. Well, I guess he never said Showcase, only an event that could be a SoP or showcase. There usually isn't many leaks aside from Grubb for these events. The official announcement is also usually closer to the actual event. That other prominent Era user you made thread about also said a May showcase. I don't know much about them.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
It is still a ways off assuming it is toward the end of May like the last one, so plenty of time for more leaks. Grubb isn't always accurate, but he has a good track record for showcases and SoPs in the past.

But Grubb is usually right about showcases. Well, I guess he never said Showcase, only an event that could be a SoP or showcase. There usually isn't many leaks aside from Grubb for these events. The official announcement is also usually closer to the actual event. That other prominent Era user you made thread about also said a May showcase. I don't know much about them.
Fair enough.
Most likely is just way too soon for more rumors start.

Also maybe my comment will bait a insider to confirm it lol

BRVR

Mar 9, 2022
I have played both ghost and spidey 2 and at the end i was more moved by ghost than spidey 2 , because they kept the scope small and personal and knew what goals were more important to put money in. I have my grievances with ghost but it's shortcomings will be rectified in the sequel with a bigger budget as they have proven themselves they got the stuff. I think gameplay of spidey 2 improved a lot from the original but story was still just going bigger and bigger and losing focus. Only interesting thing from the story was when peter went "bad" and that lasted for 3/4 missions , that should've been the focus of the game imo but alas rant over on insomniac lol

That's a totally fine opinion, if a game is more expensive to produce doesn't mean it's automatically better. But this whole argument i'm seeing on social media of how Ghost 2 was this rare magnum opus that was made with a relatively lower budget makes no sense to me because the budget makes complete sense.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
That's a totally fine opinion, if a game is more expensive to produce doesn't mean it's automatically better. But this whole argument i'm seeing on social media of how Ghost 2 was this rare magnum opus that was made with a relatively lower budget makes no sense to me because the budget makes complete sense.

This I certainly agree with, and it shows in the level of many elements. But it also shows that a single-player game can clearly resonate with people despite not looking like the most expensive thing ever. I thought Ghost of Tsushima's cutscenes and dialogue scenes looked like crap even back when it released, but that quickly became a non-issue when I got into the actual game itself.

BRVR

Mar 9, 2022
This I certainly agree with, and it shows in the level of many elements. But it also shows that a single-player game can clearly resonate with people despite not looking like the most expensive thing ever. I thought Ghost of Tsushima's cutscenes and dialogue scenes looked like crap even back when it released, but that quickly became a non-issue when I got into the actual game itself.
Yeah the games art style and combat are top tier. If everything else was just as good it would've been a masterpiece for me.

Oh well, I have extremely high hopes for the sequel. I hope suckerpunch can deliver something generational.

Suntzupp

Mar 26, 2022
Low texture details are barely noticeable in GoT due to the vibrancy of the world. The colors just dominate the screen making every frame beautiful to look at. The things that sticks out to me are NPC interactions and animations during some cutscenes. I am sure GoT 2 is going to improve upon them making it one of the best looking next gen games. They should improve enemy AI during stealth to make it more challenging like TLoU 2.

Adookah

Nov 1, 2017
Sarajevo

It's Pyo, one of the stupidest people on X/Twitter

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Yes it isn't that black and white but i'm willing to bet a million bucks that the points I mention play a decent part. All those things cost a lot of time and resources.

A game like spider-man 2 (maybe in a different city or state?) could be cheaper to develop but even then the game is significantly more impressive than Ghost Of Tsushima.

spidey 2 in a differnt state would most likely be cheaper but still really expensive since those set pieces etc etc cost a lot to make.
Need a lot of man power and time for certain stuff so while it would be cheaper i guess the big question would be by how much .
Stuff like that is be interesting to think about but so many factors at play to work things out lol .

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2020
There's only one hour time difference between the UK (BST) and Europe (CEST), so 8pm in the UK would convert to 9pm in Europe. LOL. LMAO. Fucking dipshit. What a dumbass loser. Fucking LOL.

Gmt is a constant time. The UK is currently using BST which is GMT+1.

CEST is always 2 hours ahead of GMT.

Other counties that use GMT for their local time include Iceland. Look up what time it is in Iceland at the moment.

wiIdcard

Oct 25, 2018
Isn't Spider-Man 2 was internally delayed from 2022 to 2023 because of Covid? I guess that's the biggest reason why the budget skyrocketed and it's true for every game developed during 2020-2023

Oct 27, 2017
Gmt is a constant time. The UK is currently using BST which is GMT+1.

CEST is always 2 hours ahead of GMT.

Other counties that use GMT for their local time include Iceland. Look up what time it is in Iceland at the moment.

Well, fuck. Now I feel deflated. I blame stupid Daylight Savings Time.

EDIT - thank you for the correction, CarpetSalesman. Just reading back over my post and my original was quite nasty and I never acknowledged that I was wrong, so I appreciate the information.

Last edited:

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA

Personally, I think GoT is a beautiful game, and that Sucker Punch was being very economical in where they applied their resources. No, it's not Horizon: Forbidden West (what is, really?), but the art design was still very strong (much like Rise of the Ronin has strong art design, even if it's not pulling out every modern technical buzzword folks recently learned and love to jabber about lol).

The scope of the game was also rather smart. It wasn't some massive map, and there isn't a ton of interactivity within in (many open worlds don't have much interactivity with the environment itself, even a critical darling like RDR2). The character animations for side quests is definitely weak, similar to what SP did with the inFAMOUS games, but I feel like there is a lesson to be learned from Sucker Punch's production pipeline and how they accomplished a game that was both critically and commercially well received on a $60 million budget.

While there's no way a modern game will be able to produce the results of a game like HFW or SM2 at that budget, I think you could still get a really visually impressive game with great gameplay at that budget. The real question is, will gamers be receptive to it?

Judging by Rise of the Ronin, I'd say the answer is no. Ronin is a genuinely good game, it just doesn't look like what many gamers and critics want from a console exclusive in 2024. Which is unfortunate.

At the time, GoT was very much praised for its beautiful art direction and atmosphere, and yeah, if the game had extra budget, time, and resources, they possibly could have pushed it further, but it was still quite lovely and fun to play.

I suspect GoT2 is going to be quite a step up all around, as Sucker Punch tends to do really well with their sequels (ie, Sly 1 to Sly 2, and inFAMOUS 1 to inFAMOUS 2). I'm assuming that the budget for GoT2 is going to be higher regardless, but I feel like it's worth exploring how the team managed to produce GoT in the time frame they did, with the budget they did, and still managed to get results that, in 2020, were still quite impressive. Is GoT the best looking open world game of its generation? No, of course not, but it's not like it's some low tier effort visually.

OneEyedJuliet

Jan 20, 2020
Bought The Sinking City Deluxe Edition yesterday for $9.74 (85% discount). I miss seeing crazy good deals like these. It feels like games don't get these types of discounts anymore. I remember buying The Witcher 3 Complete Edition with all the DLCs for like 10 bucks back in the day.

ETA: I just realized that I sound like

Old_Man_Yells_at_cloud_cover.jpg

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Isn't Spider-Man 2 was internally delayed from 2022 to 2023 because of Covid? I guess that's the biggest reason why the budget skyrocketed and it's true for every game developed during 2020-2023

I don't think a lot of people really understand how expensive delays are. A team of 200 people can cost upwards of $30 million a year to employ, especially factoring in the costs of things like paying for their benefits, bonuses, promotions that can happen during development, and other incentives. It's why so many studios are reluctant to delay a game unless it's absolutely necessary.

A year delay can be incredibly expensive. Even 6 months is costly. So most devs try really hard to stick to the intended release window. Delays also impact marketing plans, and potentially add to that, especially if the delay happens after marketing has begun, because then you need to spend more money marketing the game for longer to keep hype/momentum up during the delay.

I've said it before, but Covid was a real pain in the ass for the industry when it comes to development pipelines and schedules. A lot of 2021 games got pushed to 2022, and it wasn't just gamers that were disappointed and unhappy by those delays.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Bought The Sinking City Deluxe Edition yesterday for $9.74 (85% discount). I miss seeing crazy good deals like these. It feels like games don't get these types of discounts anymore. I remember buying The Witcher 3 Complete Edition with all the DLCs for like 10 bucks back in the day.

Sadly true (in terms of discounts). Its legit rare we see huge discounts, Ive sorta normalised 50% discounts and pounce then. Steam gets the odd old discount every once in a while, but those are so few and far between.

SuperOctopus

Apr 22, 2020
We need FF16 for PS+
We need GT7 for PS+.

I bought the non-deluxe bundle of Sinking City and Sherlock Holmes Chapter One at 7.99€, crazy price at -90%. I've really enjoyed Frogwares games during the last generation, I'll see how these hold up.