• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Too bad ND wasted time on Factions. PS5 already suffered from the long cross gen period. I was expecting two games from them in this generation. Can they achieve that?

They didn't "waste" time on TLOU Online. Even if TLOU Online never existed, we wouldn't have gotten a new game from ND by now. We know that TLOU2 was an all hands on deck situation and they were not able to do their normal pre-production work ahead of time before it launched. Under normal circumstances they would've been able to jump from TLOU Part 2 to the next game relatively quickly, but since there was no pre-production work done that upset the entire flow. That means that concepting and pre-production began in 2020, and from that point it's typically around 5 years for a game to ship.

What TLOU Online (and the smaller remaster/remake projects) did do is allow Naughty Dog to break the cycle of layoffs between major projects and to get their tech and employees updated for the current gen so they'd be able to work out the glitches on those smaller projects instead of working them out while in the middle of dev on a big new project.

So no, TLOU Online was by no means a "waste", it still helped Naughty Dog and didn't stand in the way of us getting another new game at all. Plus of course the knowledge and lessons they learned during the pre-production of TLOU Online can be carried forward into future projects.

As for whether they can pull off 2+ games this gen, sure they can. While we know Neil is working on a new game that isn't TLOU, I have no doubt that pre-production on TLOU Part 3 is underway so that they'll be able to jump into that once Neils game ships. We know from a ND employee that pre-production is typically 2-3 years and full production is about 2 years, so even if Neils game doesn't ship until 2026 we could still get TLOU Part 3 by the end of the gen.

At the same time there's the question of a new Uncharted game and whether ND might be going at it solo (maybe under Shauns leadership) or might be working with another studio like VASG to get it done. We know that they were initially working with Bend on the new Uncharted until Bend asked to do their own thing.

So yeah, I don't see why there's any issues with the idea of ND launching at least 2 games this gen.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
As for whether they can pull off 2+ games this gen, sure they can. While we know Neil is working on a new game that isn't TLOU, I have no doubt that pre-production on TLOU Part 3 is underway so that they'll be able to jump into that once Neils game ships. We know from a ND employee that pre-production is typically 2-3 years and full production is about 2 years, so even if Neils game doesn't ship until 2026 we could still get TLOU Part 3 by the end of the gen.

At the same time there's the question of a new Uncharted game and whether ND might be going at it solo (maybe under Shauns leadership) or might be working with another studio like VASG to get it done. We know that they were initially working with Bend on the new Uncharted until Bend asked to do their own thing.

So yeah, I don't see why there's any issues with the idea of ND launching at least 2 games this gen.
Seems like this scenario would require a level of crunch that is not worth putting 2 games out this generation to me. Just put more out next gen.

I think you are underestimating how long it takes from start to finish for ND to make a game at the level of polish they typically do.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Seems like this scenario would require a level of crunch that is not worth putting 2 games out this generation to me. Just put more out next gen.

I think you are underestimating how long it takes from start to finish for ND to make a game at the level of polish they typically do.

Not at all. Like I said, the general example of time tables for pre-production and production came from a ND employee. ND is a lot larger now than they have been in the past and they've stated that they're working on multiple projects. So going from full production on one project, shipping it and then switching to full production on another project (one that's been in pre-production for 2-3 years) isn't outlandish.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
They didn't "waste" time on TLOU Online. Even if TLOU Online never existed, we wouldn't have gotten a new game from ND by now. We know that TLOU2 was an all hands on deck situation and they were not able to do their normal pre-production work ahead of time before it launched. Under normal circumstances they would've been able to jump from TLOU Part 2 to the next game relatively quickly, but since there was no pre-production work done that upset the entire flow. That means that concepting and pre-production began in 2020, and from that point it's typically around 5 years for a game to ship.

What TLOU Online (and the smaller remaster/remake projects) did do is allow Naughty Dog to break the cycle of layoffs between major projects and to get their tech and employees updated for the current gen so they'd be able to work out the glitches on those smaller projects instead of working them out while in the middle of dev on a big new project.

So no, TLOU Online was by no means a "waste", it still helped Naughty Dog and didn't stand in the way of us getting another new game at all. Plus of course the knowledge and lessons they learned during the pre-production of TLOU Online can be carried forward into future projects.

Even if we get the new IP in 2026, we're not gonna get whatever is after that 2 years later. Just not happening. They could just about make a 3 year gap between Lost Legacy and Part II, and that was with both games being in production at the same time. I'd say that if the new IP is 2026 (personally wouldn't surprise me if it's later), whatever is after that (likely Part II) will be 2030 at best.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
In a perfect world, the effort used on Factions would've went to a game that actually shipped. Such is the way of game development.

At best, we are getting two new games from Naughty Dog this generation.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Not at all. Like I said, the general example of time tables for pre-production and production came from a ND employee. ND is a lot larger now than they have been in the past and they've stated that they're working on multiple projects. So going from full production on one project, shipping it and then switching to full production on another project (one that's been in pre-production for 2-3 years) isn't outlandish.
Out of curiosity, when do you think this generation is ending and the PS6 is coming out?

Also, would you count a cross-gen game as coming out this gen?

If so, then I definitely think they could get two games out, but if not, I'm not so sure.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Even if we get the new IP in 2026, we're not gonna get whatever is after that 2 years later. Just not happening. They could just about make a 3 year gap between Lost Legacy and Part II, and that was with both games being in production at the same time. I'd say that if the new IP is 2026 (personally wouldn't surprise me if it's later), whatever is after that (likely Part II) will be 2030 at best.
Yup, agreed. I dont see how people can say "no time wasted" - well, lets maybe not say "wasted", but still nothing to show for it... even if ND's new game comes out in a year or two's time (wont be this year that's for certain), we arent getting a second game almost straight after, its gonna take a number of years. Like... have some of these people not noticed how long games take to make these days? ND games especially?

SilentEagle

Jan 9, 2021
Yes but the second game is crossgen with ps6

Seems likely if it's a New IP next and TLOU3 by the end of the Gen. Guess it depends on how ambitions that New IP is.

Probably new IP in a few years, Part III as a PS5-PS6 cross-gen game.
I expect new IP before Part III. I don't know if they develop the games simultaneously. Probably new IP in 2026 and just before the release of PS6, Part III like they did with The Last of Us for PS3 and Part II for PS4.

Hopefully. But I don't think their full know-how will be used in their next game. Factions was online game. Indeed they can reuse the mechanics they developed but we don't know how much are they in common. They could fully use the time and resource for their upcoming single-player games. Yeah probably not wasted all of those years but the new game would come sooner.

Josh5890

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Unless there is some radical change in technology behind the scenes that is going to revolutionize game development and require a clean break, cross-gen is absolutely going to be a thing going into next gen and beyond.

If the PS6 is coming out in 2028, then I have no doubt that Sony will be publishing PS5 games in 2030, and I'm not just talking about MLB The Show. So if you are only counting "PS5 only" games without cross-gen, then most of Sony's studios are only releasing one PS5 game this generation.

TazKa

Oct 27, 2017
Out of curiosity, when do you think this generation is ending and the PS6 is coming out?

If so, then I definitely think they could get two games out, but if not, I'm not so sure.

Already this gen shows how long development of games are and we saw the crossgen and port situation for the last few years. I do not expect any other modus operandi going into PS6 with installbase of PS5 and high production costs.

Josh5890

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
FF7 part 3 should be PS6 too

And TLoU Part 3

I think that we will get FFVII Part 3 in early 2028 at the absolute latest. That game is unique where devs already have a head start. Square already has the blueprint (assets, battle system, and most of the story) in place after Remake and Rebirth, so there will be less pre-production involved. It should only take 3-4 years, just like Remake to Rebirth. I'd bet on FFVII P3 launching only on the PS5, and then Square does some sort of a trilogy package for PS6.

TLOU Part 3 is absolutely a PS6 game. Maybe it is cross gen with PS5, but I do not see that game coming out any time before 2028.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Stole from discord

wjswebster.wordpress.com

Unannounced narrative horror game

Having transitioned to a new project within Firesprite, I worked in a small team developing gameplay prototypes. My focus was on creating efficient, modular systems that were performant on the PS5.…

The former's goal was particularly pertinent at times, with a unified focus being 60 fps at 4K resolution on the PlayStation 5

Firesprite's horror game

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017

Holiday 2028 has always been my guess for the PS6 launch. Once the next gen begins, I would count a cross gen game as being part of that gen, not the current one.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I literally won't accept any online model other than HD2 if the game costs money (not-F2P). It is perfect and every GAAS should be like that.

Woozy

Feb 22, 2022
Holiday 2028 has always been my guess for the PS6 launch. Once the next gen begins, I would count a cross gen game as being part of that gen, not the current one.
I honestly believe cross gen is gonna play an even bigger role next generation compared to this one. People still haven't got off PS4 yet! (which I blame CoD for)

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
HV3KHo.jpeg

Hoo boy.. what a game.

wiIdcard

Oct 25, 2018
ND new IP in 2026
PS6 release in 2028
TLOU3 crossgen in 2029.
That's Best case scenario if TLOU3 already in pre-production with a small team and the game won't be in development hell.
If we don't count cancelled Factions and pandemic ND never had huge windows between releases. And you shouldn't ignore TLOU1 remake. Someone like Bluepoint would have spent at least 4 years on a project like this

Last edited:

Josh5890

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Most games that started development in 2023 are probably still aiming for PS5, even if they release after PS6 launch.

Keep in mind that at minimum AAA development takes 5 years now, but usually more. Anything that started up last year is probably 2028 at best. Sure, they will target the PS5 but there are likely plenty of cross-gen games in development as we speak.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Spidey 3, Media Molecule's new IP, and Bloodborne remake going to be super sick cross-gen launch titles 😛

illmatic22

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Super Bowl LII Champions
Yup, agreed. I dont see how people can say "no time wasted" - well, lets maybe not say "wasted", but still nothing to show for it... even if ND's new game comes out in a year or two's time (wont be this year that's for certain), we arent getting a second game almost straight after, its gonna take a number of years. Like... have some of these people not noticed how long games take to make these days? ND games especially?
Their games are AAA and take a while yeah but folks should just accept it and stop bitching about whether time was wasted or not. What's done is done but it's not like ND planned on factions never releasing. Shit happens. This place fucking sucks.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Their games are AAA and take a while yeah but folks should just accept it and stop bitching about whether time was wasted or not. What's done is done but it's not like ND planned on factions never releasing. Shit happens. This place fucking sucks.
Most of these same people were calling it a waste of time and talent before we were aware of its dev issues and still would have done it even if the game released as a banger.

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Assuming Mm's new IP has a shorter dev cycle than Dreams. Dreams was announced when the PS4 was revealed and came out in the year the PS5 released lol

I don't think that counts. Dreams wasn't announced when PS4 was revealed, it was a tech demo.
Dreams was announced in 2015 and released in 2019 early access.

Josh5890

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think that counts. Dreams wasn't announced when PS4 was revealed, it was a tech demo.
Dreams was announced in 2015 and released in 2019 early access.

The game was shown off on stage in both 2013 and 2014. It may not have been "announced" as Dreams at the time, but Media Molecule was showing off the project before 2015.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
If i remember right dreams also run into issues and they had start over certain aspect .
Truth is the heads of MM really fuck them over with dreams. ( you could see this not doing well miles away )
Sony is for certain not going to give them as much rope as they had before.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
If i remember right dreams also run into issues and they had start over certain aspect .
Truth is the heads of MM really fuck them over with dreams. ( you could see this not doing well miles away )
Sony is for certain not going to give them as much rope as they had before.
All the founders for MM have left since then too. I believe only 1 of the 4 remain.

Status
Not open for further replies.