• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Woozy

Feb 22, 2022
On the topic of future projects from Sony, this is what is announced.

Announced for 2024:
Stellar Blade (Apr 26)
Ghost of Tsushima Director's Cut [PC port] (May 16th)
Destiny 2: The Final Shape (June 4th)
Concord
Until Dawn Remaster
Lost Soul Aside

Announced for 2025:
Death Stranding 2

Announced with no window:
FairGame$
Marathon
Wolverine Insomniac data breach has this game listed internally as a 2025-6 game
Kojima New IP/Physint
The Last of Us Part 3
From this list, definitely the most excited for Kojima's "Metal Gear" spiritual successor

PSES

Apr 1, 2022
I'm surprised that no date has been given yet for MGS Delta. Didn't Sony include it in the list of launch games for this year?

PhillyPaw

Banned
Apr 11, 2021
We finally got some Trails Kuro 3 news today as well. That, Silent Hill 3, and Astro Bot are my games for the 2nd half.

Gha

Jun 29, 2023
Fantastic start for the PS5 in 2024.
Some great bangers during the first 4 months.
Wellbangers.jpg
Ronin at 76 is a… choice.

PhillyPaw

Banned
Apr 11, 2021
Browsing the PS store and who thought it was a good idea to sell the Grandia collection for $40 lol. Would argue that's $30 too high but I digress lol.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Ronin at 76 is a… choice.

How do you mean?

I think Ronin is a very good game, personally!

I don't pay attention to review scores, and just buy the games that look interesting to me (or, if there's a demo, the demo sold me on the game), and Ronin is like if Tenchu, Ghost of Tsushima, Yakuza, Way of the Samurai, and Nioh had a baby. It doesn't reach the highs of any of those games, and yet it captures the essence of all of them, and somehow manages to combine them in a really enjoyable package.

As far as Team Ninja games go, it's the only one I've stuck with for longer than 10+ hours. I'm currently at about 80 hours into Ronin, in the second of 3 areas, and though I took a break to beat Rebirth and Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown, I'm eager to get back to.

I think it deserves to be in the discussion of quality games that have hit the PS5 in the past 4 months. I hope WoM spreads for it, and it does well for Team Ninja. They managed to create a game that is accessible to more players, while also still having options for that classic Team Ninja combat difficulty and complexity.

It's kind of like Elden Ring being one of the more accessible Souls games From has made (although, personally, I don't think it made the game particularly accessible on the difficulty spectrum lol), while still retaining that From Software DNA that fans of their games love. Ronin is that.

That picture of the early PS5 lineup isn't wrong (though I haven't played Pacific Drive yet, and I'm not sure I will)!

LastNac

Oct 30, 2017
If the dev kits for the Pro are identical to the OG devkits is it possible the form factor isn't super big?

Dragun

Oct 30, 2017
Fantastic start for the PS5 in 2024.
Some great bangers during the first 4 months.
Wellbangers.jpg
Man, Ronin's MC should be in the 80s territory.

Obviously the visuals hold it back the most that I hope Team Ninja can clean it up through patches/PS5 Pro, but outside of that, I'm 40 Hours in and so far I'm enjoying it's gameplay, story, & mission design far more than I did with Wo Long & Strangers of Paradise. Still, it's absolutely maddening that SIE and/or Koei Tecmo choose to release it on the same day as Dragon's Dogma 2 just so it can to be in someone's fiscal reports. Easily a shortsighted move that hurt the game's best window to be a decent sale success especially when Koei Temco is expecting 5 Million LTD sales for Ronin.

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
Wait I can just straight up buy Helldivers 2 with my Playstation Star Points? Or just straight up wallet funds.

I feel like I should have been more attentive to this stuff.

Remember when Sony straight up gave us $15(?) dollars when we spend a hundred on PSN.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
The AFEELA in GT7 is actually free. Not simply a free update, but when you go to purchase it there's a "Send to Garage" tab rather than the traditional purchase tab.

SuperOctopus

Apr 22, 2020
I like how I haven't even started three games that I'm interested in that have dropped on Plus this month and May is just around the corner with new ones coming.

BRVR

Mar 9, 2022
So does everyone agree with me that TLOU1 is still far superior to the show? I mean the show was an amazing adaptation but the emotional attachment and set pieces you get in the game just can't be replicated in the show. The amount of time you spend in the game with these characters also can't be replicated unless you have an unlimited budget.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
So does everyone agree with me that TLOU1 is still far superior to the show? I mean the show was an amazing adaptation but the emotional attachment and set pieces you get in the game just can't be replicated in the show. The amount of time you spend in the game with these characters also can't be replicated unless you have an unlimited budget.

I found it interesting to listen to people who hadn't played the game, or who played the game after watching the show. It really showed that a big part of which one you think handled things better depended on which one you experienced first. The people on The Prestige TV podcat generally preferred the way the show handled things as they didn't like how the game would veer into combat. Specifically they didn't like that the barn conversation was broken up in the game by a combat sequence.

HitcherFL

Nov 3, 2023
I think they both have their own unique strengths and lean into the advantages their respective mediums. You highlight the advantages of telling the story in a game, but on the other hand you couldn't do something like episode 3 in a game, and there's no need to balance out plot development with combat to keep the gameplay part engaging in a show.

I'd hesitate to call one superior to the other, as despite being the same basic story it's really apples and oranges.

Status
Not open for further replies.