• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Portodutch

Feb 17, 2021
My collectors edition arrived a day early - here I go!

HmA1JT.png

Nice I hope you have a great time

BRVR

Mar 9, 2022
I found it interesting to listen to people who hadn't played the game, or who played the game after watching the show. It really showed that a big part of which one you think handled things better depended on which one you experienced first. The people on The Prestige TV podcat generally preferred the way the show handled things as they didn't like how the game would veer into combat. Specifically they didn't like that the barn conversation was broken up in the game by a combat sequence.
it is interesting indeed. I guess it depends on what you value more, all perspective.

I think they both have their own unique strengths and lean into the advantages their respective mediums. You highlight the advantages of telling the story in a game, but on the other hand you couldn't do something like episode 3 in a game, and there's no need to balance out plot development with combat to keep the gameplay part engaging in a show.

I'd hesitate to call one superior to the other, as despite being the same basic story it's really apples and oranges.

As someone who's a massive movie/show fan and also a big fan of narrative gaming I just find gaming to be the most superior medium (if executed well). Like even the things that the TLOU show does well is incremental in comparison to what the game does IMO. The show can't replicate the atmosphere and feeling you get in the game.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
it is interesting indeed. I guess it depends on what you value more, all perspective.

I remember there being discussions from those who played the game that Ellie and Joel's relationship wasn't as developed or felt sped up compared to the game, but that never came up in any of the reactions I watched/listened to from people who either watched the show first or played the game. They all seemed to think it felt pretty natural. And I think it was because just like the game, the show could introduce characters and then kill them shortly after and have people in tears. The writing is so good that just spending time in a single episode with characters, since there was little action across each episode, was enough to get people attached to them.

It's going to be super interesting to see how they handle S2 given that Craig's been very open that there's going to be more action in it. Which of course makes sense as narratively speaking, action is a much bigger part of Part II than the original.

wiIdcard

Oct 25, 2018
So does everyone agree with me that TLOU1 is still far superior to the show? I mean the show was an amazing adaptation but the emotional attachment and set pieces you get in the game just can't be replicated in the show. The amount of time you spend in the game with these characters also can't be replicated unless you have an unlimited budget.
I would have preferred if the show didn't told the same story. It's not a must watch if you already played the game and you can skip the game if you watched the show. Original story in the same universe or some sort of prequel would have been more exciting and complement the games with a better synergy

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Just asking, like always.
Don't kill me 🐒
Today is PS+ announcement, right?

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
I think they both have their own unique strengths and lean into the advantages their respective mediums. You highlight the advantages of telling the story in a game, but on the other hand you couldn't do something like episode 3 in a game
You could though, if you aren't concerning yourself with making sure your gamer audience gets to shoot guns and snap necks every 30-45 minutes. Plenty of indie games don't have the budget but do have the structure to do something like episode 3.

I think it's just AAA games don't *want* to do something like episode 3.

HitcherFL

Nov 3, 2023
You could though, if you aren't concerning yourself with making sure your gamer audience gets to shoot guns and snap necks every 30-45 minutes. Plenty of indie games don't have the budget but do have the structure to do something like episode 3.

I think it's just AAA games don't *want* to do something like episode 3.
OK, sure, you could, but let's be honest, it wouldn't really work in this game. TLOU is already criticised for having too many slow walking sequences, and they do hugely impact replays. What exactly would making that episode a playable sequence add? What gameplay mechanics could there be that don't fundamentally change the tone and detract from the narrative of the episode? In what way would it be better than the episode itself, or better than a really long cutscene? Even then, what's the idea, have it be a shooter with stealth elements for most of the game and then pivot into a drastically different genre for one chapter?

If you mean a different game could do that sort of things then sure, but I was referring to the type of game that TLOU already is. Don't see how that game could take a diversion to tell that story and it work, while a TV show can tell the same overall story and within that tell the story of that episode.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Disgusting that that piece of shit is selling well. So disappointed in reality as a whole right now.

David Matter

Apr 16, 2024

Lets go!! Amazing results!! Cant wait to play this day one!

Damn I just watched the Stellar Blade Digital Foundry tech review and now the hype is real.

Thinking thinking…

Hypeeeeeee, love when devs launch games in a pristine level of care!! Hype!!

I wasn't really planning on getting it at launch but the DF video and the glowing review from Fighting Cowboy bowled me over. So I pre-ordered the physical ed. this morning.

Cant wait to play stellar blade!! Combat in the game seems so good!

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Took me like 3 or 4 days to get to the end of FFXVI if I just skip everything lol Super excited to start the two DLCs. Replaying this game reminded how many truly next gen moments it has. The entire Bahamut sequence, cutscenes, story, fight, just feels like a true next gen experience. What a game.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
Damn I just watched the Stellar Blade Digital Foundry tech review and now the hype is real.

Thinking thinking…

Just watched and I have the same thoughts. Truly stellar technical performance and seems to be polished and bugfree. This seems like a nobrainer and not worth a mention but in this day it is a pleasant surprise.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Good games tends to sell well, shocking right?

There are dozens of other melee action games that have as good or better combat than that rancid pile of trash, without contributing to a culture of institutionalized sexism and misogyny. The game is absolutely embarrassing on every conceivable level.

Status
Not open for further replies.