Status
Not open for further replies.

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
It's been so long since I played Playroom, did it have a Demons Souls reference in it too?

Certainly did!

Demon%27s_Souls.png

Portodutch

Feb 17, 2021
Astrobot has allot of potential for sure.
I wonder, with it being a full game, if they will introduce a villian.

Syne

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Feb 5, 2023
UK
Oh yeah now I remember! I feel another playthrough might be in order (where GPU Jungle will hence be stuck in my head yet again)

Astrobot has allot of potential for sure.
I wonder, with it being a full game, if they will introduce a villian.
The plot is a classic tale of revenge as Astro sets out on a journey to defeat the evil Jim Ryan and his team of Evil Executives for the murder of his parents (Japan Studio)

Suntzupp

Mar 26, 2022
I don't know if the full length Astrobot game could top the soundtrack of Astro's playroom. Mainly the S. S. D

SuperOctopus

Apr 22, 2020
I'm so pumped about a new Astro title, I hope the rumours that it is coming are true. This will probably end up as one of the best titles of this gen.

doemaaan

Oct 27, 2017
I hope they continue to pay homage to 1st and 3rd party IP's in the next Astrobot game. That was one of my more favorite parts of the original.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The love I have been reading for AstroBot this weekend has warmed my heart. PlayStation needs more success with platformers.

Now go buy Sackboy. I know a bunch of you haven't!

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
That would be cool to look it but it makes it difficult for them to make an identity of its own. I am excited to see the new fox character.

Yeah, one of the biggest problems I have (beyond the insane simplicity and lack of any mechanical depth or creativity beyond graphics) with Astrobot is that the only identity the game has is...the same joke Sackboy already has. "Look, Astro is wearing a hat from another video game!" is kinda played out. It'd be nice if they're able to find some actual identity for the series and the character beyond "cameo hats" and dancing.

But I just don't particularly find mascots engaging at all so I guess it was never gonna work for me beyond tech demos.

Suntzupp

Mar 26, 2022
The love I have been reading for AstroBot this weekend has warmed my heart. PlayStation needs more success with platformers.

I don't know maybe it's due to bad timing but I started playing Sackboy right after finishing Mario odyssey and it didn't vibe with me. I love platformers

Yeah, one of the biggest problems I have (beyond the insane simplicity and lack of any mechanical depth or creativity beyond graphics) with Astrobot is that the only identity the game has is...the same joke Sackboy already has. "Look, Astro is wearing a hat from another video game!" is kinda played out. It'd be nice if they're able to find some actual identity for the series and the character beyond "cameo hats" and dancing.

But I just don't particularly find mascots engaging at all so I guess it was never gonna work for me beyond tech demos.
Astrobot controls are simplistic but beyond all the references I love their creative use of everything on Dualsense and they made freaking computer parts CPU, GPU, SSD super charming. The level design is great too. I think the full length game will give them a chance to make Astrobot a top tier platformer.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
Man I really hope Astrobot ends up being an ape escape like where you are chasing down rogue bots that think they are videogame characters.

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Regardless if we're getting a state of play of showcase I'm just glad it's for early next week. I can't do more of the insanity that was this OT anymore lol

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Astrobot controls are simplistic but beyond all the references I love their creative use of everything on Dualsense and they made freaking computer parts CPU, GPU, SSD super charming. The level design is great too. I think the full length game will give them a chance to make Astrobot a top tier platformer.

I guess we'll see. Well, you will. I don't pay for platformers that aren't Mario or Psychonauts, lol.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
I'm going to be straight with you guy since some of you are vaguely okay.

My favourite playstation thing is when they do that thing where they announce like five or six indie five minutes apart. Thats the best :P

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, one of the biggest problems I have (beyond the insane simplicity and lack of any mechanical depth or creativity beyond graphics)

Rescue Mission is one of the most creative and magical games ever made. I'd put it on the same level as playing Mario 64 on my imported Japanese N64 back in the day. Asobi is really good at doing creative things with hardware. PS VR with Rescue Mission and the Dual Sense with Playroom.

Platformers tend to be simplistic mechanically. It's not like Super Mario Bros or Donkey Kong or Super Meat Boy or Shovel Knight or Crash or Sonic or Psychonauts have conplex mechanics. It's more about how they control and how you interact with the levels. And if you watch some of the Playroom speed runs, people do some pretty crazy stuff with the little fella.

And what's also nice about the Astro games is that they're love letters to PlayStation. That and Kenny Young's soundtracks are absolute bangers.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
I'm going to be straight with you guy since some of you are vaguely okay.

My favourite playstation thing is when they do that thing where they announce like five or six indie five minutes apart. Thats the best :P
I hate when they do that.
When they just trow a bunch of Indie games at screen all with diferent artstyles, and I forget they exist 2 minutes after they show it.

Just give those games proper time, or show them on a blogpost.
Shu is better at showing Indie games in his Twitter than PS

Nakenorm

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
You know what, just have Astro go ALL IN on the fan service and cameos. Let's have entire levels dedicated to replicating Jak, Sly and Ape Escape since we're not getting new games in those series any other way.

Think Kingdom Hearts but with old platformers instead of Disney.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
This is insane. I get that you have very peculiar taste in games but man, there's plenty of fantastic platformers other than Mario and Psychonauts out there.

It's just not a genre that interests me, I'm sorry. Frankly, I was never a fan of mascot games - even when I was a kid I thought Crash, Spyro and Jak were all boring. Mario and Sonic I have some long-term nostalgia for because they practically originated the platformer genre (and let's be real, classic Sonic is genuinely dead and never coming back), but I pretty much glided right past all the other copycats across the ages.

Psychonauts is a unique fringe case because of how distinct and weird and Tim Schafer it is. No other game has that going for it.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I am just here for my monthly dose of chaosposting once the SoP hits. Thankfully AstroGOAT has potential to save this OT.

jack-garland-stranger-of-paradise.gif

Oct 25, 2017
I'm downloading Horizon Forbidden West even though I never finished the first one lol I hope there's a detailed recap because I don't remember anything

youtu.be

Complete History of Horizon: Zero Dawn to Forbidden West

In this video, we explore the a comprehensive timeline that ties the Horizon Universe together. For experienced players, and those new to this world, this wi...

This one might be too long, but it was recommended around FW launch and it recapped / made me appreciate the lore of the first game a lot more.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Wonder what stages of production the various PS Productions projects are at. Right now we have:

TLOU HBO Season 2 - we know season 2 comes out 2025
Twisted Metal Season 2 - I believe also 2025 was confirmed
Ghost of Tsushima movie
God of War Amazon
Horizon Netflix
Uncharted movie #2, I believe has been indicated to some degree
Days Gone movie
Gravity Rush movie
Until Dawn movie

Then beyond that there's other projects like

Death Stranding movie
Whatever Bungie's working on for their transmedia efforts
Maybe Physint eventually too?

Wonder what else they may be cooking. I'm guessing 2025/2026 are gonna be pretty packed with content from the above lineup. Will the Sly Cooper animated series ever see the light of day? Will the Jak and Daxter movie ever become a reality?

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ

Returnal, DeS remake/ER, HD2, and Astrobot are the highlights of PS5 for me this gen. I always felt Sackboy and Astro are the perfect mascots for Sony since the WWS of PlayStation are the mascots and they move on from franchises instead of continuing the IP forever like Nintendo. Sackboy and Astro both can emulate and pay homage to all PS IP, I really, really feel it was short-sighted to not continue and keep innovating with LBP, even if MM was inspired by something different, that IP was just so good.

Hopefully, Team Asobi will do something special with Astro. A 3D platform and Kart racer should be no-brainer endeavors IMHO. MM should also be on LBP4, just so much you can do with the IP and cloth worlds.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I hate when they do that.
When they just trow a bunch of Indie games at screen all with diferent artstyles, and I forget they exist 2 minutes after they show it.

Just give those games proper time, or show them on a blogpost.
Shu is better at showing Indie games in his Twitter than PS

If you forgot about it, then that's as much the fault of the game as it is the presentation. I saw SacriFire for like a minute or so and it stood out in my mind enough to remember it years later.

Status
Not open for further replies.