TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck Sony Music and Sony Pictures.
giphy.gif

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Two CEO's? Where have I head this before.....

vmgwgttgaye81.jpg

We will see how things play out. At least the temp CEO wasn't in for too long.

www.thefpsreview.com

Horizon Developer Guerrilla Games Says It Has 16 Plans in the Pipeline, “We’re Going to Be Continuing It for a Very Long While”

Horizon developer Guerrilla Games is looking to expand the franchise for a long time to come with plans for many more projects in the works.
Haters in shambles.

what-a-wonderful-day-proximus-caesar.gif

Zaywop

Dec 19, 2020
Context matters greatly here.
Alot of people point to the 2020 showcases and how big they were, but nobody stops to consider why.

At the time, Sony was unveiling the PS5 and drumming up hype for their next generation hardware.
The reason why their more recent showcases have not lived up to that level, is that they are not trying to drum up hype for something like that right now.

They don't need to schedule an OMEGA level showcase when it would not get them noticeably more sales than they are currently having.

Sales are slowing down because most people on this planet who want a PS5 at this point have already got one.
What is the point of throwing a massive showcase, when you've already got those people right where you want them?

They will buy the games when they eventually release, so no need to blow their socks off.

There is a chance that Sony will want to drum up hype for the PS5 Pro and as such they line up a more impressive than usual showcase.
But outside of that? you have to consider their intent and what they are trying to say with those showcases.

It is at it's heart, marketing.
They had banger press conferences almost the entirety of last generation too. I'm not just talking about the PS5 era

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
So Basically Hermen is in charge of the "Play" while Hideaki is in charge of the "Station"?

There is a potential OT title in this...

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

Here's the thing: if the primary combat system in your game involves aiming ranged weapons at targets and shooting them, I consider it a shooter. I don't know why that's controversial. I would say Ghostwire Tokyo is a shooter too and that game involves firing projectiles out of your magic hands.

It's about the central way you interact with opponents in combat.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Here's the thing: if the primary combat system in your game involves aiming ranged weapons at targets and shooting them, I consider it a shooter. I don't know why that's controversial. I would say Ghostwire Tokyo is a shooter too and that game involves firing projectiles out of your magic hands.

and if the primary gameplay loop of a particular game is decidedly not combat you'd still consider that a shooter, so I have absolutely no idea where you draw the line.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey

Death Stranding is clearly a Strand Game, though

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
I'm 90% sure there will be a showcase this month.

And I'm 99% sure that part of Sony's statement is exclusively talking about the business meeting.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting that Nishino will be in charge of third party relations and indies. (So Shu and Rice will be under him).

Reminds me of the PSX days were hardware and third party relations for that hardware was important. Still is but now you have the focus split so that each CEO excels on what they are known for.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting that Nishino will be in charge of third party relations and indies. (So Shu and Rice will be under him).

Reminds me of the PSX days were hardware and third party relations for that hardware was important. Still is but now you have the focus split so that each CEO excels on what they are known for.

I'm really not particularly excited for the future of Sony's third party relations, especially now that it looks like Square finally got fed up with PS exclusivity. Just kinda feels like there's no one left for them to partner with that'll make waves. Even Square's exclusives didn't really do much of anything for the platform (or the games themselves, looking at their sales performance), so it's an odd place to be in.

But maybe Nishino can convince Miyazaki to do another co-production, I guess? Can't really think of anything else Sony could do third party-wise that'd be particularly exciting. Everyone has (honestly, probably CORRECTLY, given the current industry climate) embraced multiplatform.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really not particularly excited for the future of Sony's third party relations, especially now that it looks like Square finally got fed up with PS exclusivity. Just kinda feels like there's no one left for them to partner with that'll make waves. Even Square's exclusives didn't really do much of anything for the platform (or the games themselves, looking at their sales performance), so it's an odd place to be in.

But maybe Nishino can convince Miyazaki to do another co-production, I guess? Can't really think of anything else Sony could do third party-wise that'd be particularly exciting. Everyone has (honestly, probably CORRECTLY) embraced multiplatform.
if Sony has a From collab then it was likely inked way before even the PS5 was launched, going by how Ronin was 2015

possibly soon after BloodBorne's release

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
|OT42| Reign of PlayStation 2 (CEOs)

I think it's an interesting direction. I don't know if Hulst has done enough in his promoted role prior to actually provide us with a lot of confidence. Not saying he did bad either..I just can't think of anything of note that I would allude to him in his overall head of WWS position. Perhaps I am forgetting

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
if Sony has a From collab then it was likely inked way before even the PS5 was launched, going by how Ronin was 2015

possibly soon after BloodBorne's release

I wouldn't use Ronin as a rubric for this, since Sony and Team Ninja's working relationship is really specific. Bloodborne wasn't a deal they signed and then sat on for half a decade. TN on the other hand has been doing these kinds of EXTREMELY long-tail deals with Sony since the PS3 reveal.

Grakchawwaa

Mar 10, 2022

But maybe Nishino can convince Miyazaki to do another co-production, I guess? Can't really think of anything else Sony could do third party-wise that'd be particularly exciting. Everyone has (honestly, probably CORRECTLY, given the current industry climate) embraced multiplatform.

Personally, it feels like third party relations needs to be overwhelmingly supporting smaller studios that are producing unique content, rather than massive big budget titles and paying what I assume is exorbitant bags of money to lock down for limited periods of time.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Personally, it feels like third party relations needs to be overwhelmingly supporting smaller studios that are producing unique content, rather than massive big budget titles and paying what I assume is exorbitant bags of money to lock down for limited periods of time.

Probably, yeah. Which is a shame for me personally, because I didn't pay a ton of money for a PS5 to play indie games I can beat in a single play session. I bought it for stuff that's only possible on PS, and that's...been a real minimum so far this generation.

Honestly ever since I got my PC, I've been gaming less and less on PS5 outside of the exclusive RPGs Sony manages to lock down, and I don't think we're ever going to see another RPG out of Sony given the climate of the genre these days. It feels like a genre that could really only get play if Sony, personally, chooses to invest a ton of money in it, and it doesn't seem like they're interested in funding the CREATION of new RPG IP.. And now that the third party moneyhats have dried up, I guess that's the end of it entirely. I don't really see a future for the genre with Sony.

Who knows? It's a shame, but honestly "it's a shame" really feels like the theme of this entire generation, not just with Sony. Layoffs, cancellations, consolidation, acquisitions, Embracer as a whole, the entire state of the world right now. It's a shame.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't use Ronin as a rubric for this, since Sony and Team Ninja's working relationship is really specific. Bloodborne wasn't a deal they signed and then sat on for half a decade. TN on the other hand has been doing these kinds of EXTREMELY long-tail deals with Sony since the PS3 reveal.
Yes but we had Hermen include FROM in an interview they did in 2020 when talking about collabs including Team Ninja and Kojima.
Game development is long so even if it wasn't right after BB they intent could've been discussed and for all we know they could've been in incubation while ER was still in active development as well.

Who knows what happens behind close doors afterall.