PSES

Apr 1, 2022
Uhhh I'm not sure how to feel about Herman as CEO. Is this good? Lol
Absolutely yes imo.
He knows the PS brand as well as anyone, he was a great driver of the growth that Sie experienced in the coming years as well as the acquisitions of new studios.
Also add that he led Guerrilla in the development of a new IP like Horizon as well as providing support to Kojima when they founded their new studio.
I think he is one of the ideal people to lead SIE.

Yan

Oct 29, 2017
Hermen probably was the one who got Jim Ryan fired in the first place. Sneaky bastard.

PSES

Apr 1, 2022
What it means is First Party is more important to their business now, for good and bad. There is no one answer.
I would say that is good news. If first party is more important, it means that they will continue to strengthen PS studios. It also means that PS Studios along with Playstation will continue to be (even more) essential at Sony for years to come.

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
What it means is First Party is more important to their business now, for good and bad. There is no one answer.
Absolutely yes imo.
He knows the PS brand as well as anyone, he was a great driver of the growth that Sie experienced in the coming years as well as the acquisitions of new studios.
Also add that he led Guerrilla in the development of a new IP like Horizon as well as providing support to Kojima when they founded their new studio.
I think he is one of the ideal people to lead SIE.

True, I can see that. Head of first party moving up to CEO sounds like good news for first studios. At least in how important they view software. Think I'm just struggling to view Herman in that position but someone who's been so close to the games and studios seems like a good choice.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
True, I can see that. Head of first party moving up to CEO sounds like good news for first studios. At least in how important they view software. Think I'm just struggling to view Herman in that position but someone who's been so close to the games and studios seems like a good choice.
In a sense Hermen's job doesn't change all that much, he just has more strength to make executive decisions within First Party and he can request more budget and do bigger moves.

Dragun

Oct 30, 2017
Hulst & Nishino as Co-CEOs seems like safe solid picks. Still Hirotoki overseeing SIE though.

I'm guessing Nishino being in charge of 3rd Party relations is more focused on keeping general communications on future PS5 Firmware, PSN, & PS6 plans with 3rd Party & Indies Partners while Hermen will secure or maintain partnerships in relation to XDEV like Kojima Pro, Team Ninja, Shift Up, NCSoft, From Software, etc.

AzorAhai

Oct 29, 2017
Mixed on the new leadership.

It should be better than Ryan in terms of PR, but I'm not sure we should expect more changes, except more Totoki cuts.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Shawn got promoted to WWS head right before E3 2016
IMG_1551.png

Hermen might want to flex on this upcoming showcase
Just saying

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
The inside CEO promotions are good in that there shouldn't be a sudden drastic change / policy shift that new outside CEO may try I guess.

Though idk what Hulst has done so far that's visible, everytime I saw him posted here he's on holiday lol.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Oh hey, just noticed Braid: Anniversary Edition was released in the PS Store! Was it known it would be releasing today?

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
OK, let's do some math.

Jim Ryan left and is replaced by Totoki, Hulst and Nishino. That means Hermen is 1/3rd of a Jim Ryan.

When Hermen Hulst left Guerrilla Games, he was replaced by Angie Smets, Jan-Bart van Beek and Michiel van der Leeuw. So that means each one of them is 1/3rd of a Hermen Hulst.

So is this our exchange rate? Was Jim Ryan worth 9 studio heads when we work out the math? 🤔

Heh, glad it didn't take them all that long to sort out the new leadership. Let's see what the FY results are, not much longer now.

Quintus

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
Shawn got promoted to WWS head right before E3 2016
IMG_1551.png

Hermen might want to flex on this upcoming showcase
Just saying
We might see some of the games that he has green-light. The most important piece of the puzzle will be XDev and what kind of partnerships are they pursuing?

PSES

Apr 1, 2022
OK, let's do some math.

Jim Ryan left and is replaced by Totoki, Hulst and Nishino. That means Hermen is 1/3rd of a Jim Ryan.

When Hermen Hulst left Guerrilla Games, he was replaced by Angie Smets, Jan-Bart van Beek and Michiel van der Leeuw. So that means each one of them is 1/3rd of a Hermen Hulst.

So is this our exchange rate? Was Jim Ryan worth 9 studio heads when we work out the math? 🤔

Heh, glad it didn't take them all that long to sort out the new leadership. Let's see what the FY results are, not much longer now.
I wouldn't see it that way. Jim Ryan himself complained about the fatigue of traveling so much to visit the studios and select two people as CEO in a situation where SIE does not stop growing, as Totoki says, (and as we have been seeing in recent years with many hiring of personnel and adquisitions) seems like a smart decision.

(It should also be added that Totoki has said that SIE is still growing, therefore more acquisitions will be made or the PS studios will become larger. I think they will do both)

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
I wouldn't see it that way. Jim Ryan himself complained about the fatigue of traveling so much to visit the studios and select two people as CEO in a situation where SIE does not stop growing, as Totoki says, (and as we have been seeing in recent years with many hiring of personnel and procurement) seems like a smart decision.

(It should also be added that Totoki has said that it is still growing, therefore more acquisitions will be made or the PS studios will become larger. I think they will do both)
They did say sustainable growth

So I assume more like that secret ex devs Deviation studios, and less something like Bungie.

At least I'm hoping it is

Dec 6, 2023
Heard rumours about Hermen already considering changes in the marketing department.
He considers appointing Angie as a head of advertising, citing "excellent promoting skills"

PSES

Apr 1, 2022
They did say sustainable growth

So I assume more like that secret ex devs Deviation studios, and less something like Bungie.

At least I'm hoping it is
Yes, in my opinion we could see them creating new studios from scratch as they have done with the Deviation staff, although I assume they will continue to acquire (small studios)

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Time for the co-CEO's to take the following actions:

- Sign an official partnership with Pearl Abyss
- Whatever stage their emulator plans are at (PS1/PS2/PS3/PSP/PSV), accelerate those plans to at least get them announced this year for the 30th anniversary
- Open a real Naughty Dog North (not Bend, heh) and fill it with 300 people, dedicated to restarting dev of TLOU Online
- Bring Arrowhead into the PS family
- Sign an official partnership with Konami to help co-develop some of their upcoming games
- Get the Hero Projects going in even more countries or regions.
- Get Shu a bigger office, 5x more staff and a private jet so he can become even more productive
- Sign vivftp to a 5 million dollar 1 year sponsorship deal where I'll be paid to play video games

I think that'll be a good start 😄

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
KEpEtDe.png

So Helldivers 2 PC version probably made >200M$.

The other software got a boost to ~54B¥, when it's usually around 20B¥ when there are new releases (like HFW this quarter).

Super

Studied the Buster Sword
Jan 29, 2022
Amazing Quarter for PlayStation. 20.8m consoles for the FY so 200k short of the 21m target.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017

Damn nice results. I do wonder if in another universe if the PS5 Pro had launched this past holiday season if that would have helped to fill the gap for the missing 4.2 million and would have let them hit their 25 million goal. No matter though, if this current FY happens to have the PS5 Pro and GTA6, I think it's gonna be a damn good year.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Damn nice results. I do wonder if in another universe if the PS5 Pro had launched this past holiday season if that would have helped to fill the gap for the missing 4.2 million and would have let them hit their 25 million goal. No matter though, if this current FY happens to have the PS5 Pro and GTA6, I think it's gonna be a damn good year.
What missed to reach those sales would a price cut.

It's still too expensive to most people.