Westlo

Nov 4, 2017
oh fantastic, now my twitter feed is going to be filled with "we did it with helldivers, we can also win the censorship fight against sony, free stellar blade".

i need to start blocking a lot of people.

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle
Im trying my best to understand the issue because don't most publishers already do this account thing on Steam? I get the issue with it not being present in the beginning and showing up later. So if Sony do this in the beginning with their next GaaS game, is it gonna be an issue even though everyone else does it? Like I don't get it. I may also be missing something. I know the weird country issue that happened, but is there more to it?
Nope, nothing else to it. There was literally no issues until the game was delisted from steam on certain countries as a result of it but it had already taken on a life of its own long before that happened. Nobody cared for the actual facts or circumstances like it actually being there from day 1 and shown to players the first time they boot up the game, nobody listened to the people from any of those countries in any of these threads, certainly nobody actually cared about the countries that were delisted either. It was purely fueled by console war nonsense. People acted like children instead and now the chuds and capital-G "Gamers" are ever more emboldened to do this again whenever they want with whatever they want. The only thing "won" was that those countries can no longer buy it. It's a lose-lose for everybody.

I would not be surprised either if Sony only delisted it from those countries because of the initial vocal backlash about creating a PSN account alerted them to needing to do so. There is really no other explanation for it when you consider the simple facts: PSN was mandatory day 1 when it launched yet it was sold everywhere anyway, so Sony definitely did not care for any of this back then.
How about all those players in all those countries that don't have PSN? They didn't win? They were about to loose access to a game they bought. I can't believe they almost pulled the trigger on something as fucked up as that.
Nobody was going to lose access to a game they already bought
It may not have been the main reason for the controversy, but the inability to sell to much of the world after this forced region blocks was probably a significant factor in Sony's reversal.
It was Sony who made both decisions in the first place. Do you really think that mattered to them?

Last edited:

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
This i why we don't have paid for online on PC in games other than MMOs. Because dumb shit like this doesn't get to slide. Glad Sony realized their place.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
I dont think any game has ever recovered from a review bomb, but if anyone can do it, its the helldivers

beebop

May 30, 2023
Honestly, absolutely ridiculous. Sony can basically never require a PSN login for any of its PC software ever moving forward now. Considering so many other publishers already require the exact same thing I think it's mental that this whole thing transpired.
I'm confused. You said something really positive, but your tone makes it sound like a bad thing.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
I get that people want to get their kicks in, but PSN also does refunds, this is not some kind of gotcha. I've gotten refunds from them numerous times, they have a process and rules for it.
Oh yes, the classic "I have been able to do it, so it doesn't affect me. Why is it a problem?" while ignoring the countless others that can't do refunds.

One time "courtesy refunds" aren't a process.

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle
Oh yes, the classic "I have been able to do it, so it doesn't affect me. Why is it a problem?" while ignoring the countless others that can't do refunds.

One time "courtesy refunds" aren't a process.
That has nothing to do with what I said, but as has been said multiple times in this thread already nuance is absolutely dead online.

Egrimal

Oct 27, 2017
Aberdeen, Scotland
The issue here was probably because of the PSN regions and needing to technically withdraw sale from specific countries because of the TOS. It will be sold as a "we listened" by marketing but it's because they weren't ready for a true global launch of this for PSN accounts.

I suspect this will get resolved with them adding a "Rest of world" region which will home people behind the scenes to the nearest country with PSN support officially.

This will be coming back as it will be used as a key metric for MAU, player engagement that their shareholders will be looking for and they'll use it to tie in features like trophies and secure some of the features between PC and the console communities.

People will say whatever about Sony and their infrastructure or PSN coding regardless because they think it's the cool thing to do, but these companies use this data to understand their markets and audiences and reporting and they can do that most effectively if you've agreed to their TOS across multiple games. It's going to come back, Sony just need to find a way to sell it as a requirement more effectively (see: bonus skins and freebies) and get the country coverage sorted out for PSN terms.

This isn't a win for some keyboard warriors wanting clicks for refunds - it's going to make Sony (and other companies) more committed to getting these things to be standard. Just wait until GTA6 requires a T2 account…

Timelord19

One Winged Slayer
Aug 21, 2018
Mallorca, Spain
Nope, nothing else to it. There was literally no issues until the game was delisted from steam on certain countries as a result of it but it had already taken on a life of its own long before that happened. Nobody cared for the actual facts or circumstances like it actually being there from day 1 and shown to players the first time they boot up the game, nobody listened to the people from any of those countries in any of these threads, certainly nobody actually cared about the countries that were delisted either. It was purely fueled by console war nonsense. People acted like children instead and now the chuds and capital-G "Gamers" are ever more emboldened to do this again whenever they want with whatever they want. It's a lose-lose for everybody.

I would not be surprised either if Sony only delisted it from those countries because of the initial vocal backlash about creating a PSN account alerted them to needing to do so. There is really no other explanation for it when you consider the simple facts: PSN was mandatory day 1 when it launched yet it was sold everywhere anyway, so Sony definitely did not care for any of this back then.

It was Sony who made both decisions in the first place. Do you really think that mattered to them?

If you are gonna throw random words you can also call people who were against incels, seeing that words lost all of their meaning.

People got mad at a dumb corporation decision and bully them into retracting, I'd love that more shit like this happened.

sQr

Jun 28, 2019
As in all parts of life: if someone admits they've done something stupid, I can really appreciate it.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Anyone in here who can confirm or deny that your account is gone and you'd have to buy again and start over, if you already refunded over the weekend in a rage fit? Wondering if some super aggro REFUNDED! players might be doubly fucked now.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
Sony when they saw 200k negative reviews in 2 days

The fact that no one higher up thought this would be looked at so negatively is concerning

burning-office-spongebob.gif

They're primarily a console maker in the gaming space - over the years the deal has gotten worse and worse for console gamers (paying for online etc) because you literally don't have a choice there. On PC most players have come to experience you have a choice for most things and even Steam which has a pretty well earned monopoly after years and years of good will very rarely does anything that would force anything upon you. There's a reason the first games for windows live implementations all failed, they were terrible for PC players and people made a huge stink about it. It's also why the Epic store failed for so long until they eventually realised the only way to get people on their platform was to give away free games lol

I think if they said you could optionally sign up for an account/link your account and get a free skin or something nobody would have an issue.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
That has nothing to do with what I said, but as has been said multiple times in this thread already nuance is absolutely dead online.
It does. You could have left the meme be, but instead you went "oh yes, but" instead of just letting it get buried naturally.

No, nuance isn't dead. It's you who don't get why you should have let it be.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine explaining this saga to someone who doesn't play videogames. This hobby.
just use mcdonalds wanting you to make an account using their app to give you the meal for the affordable price in exchange for your data as an example. theyll understand immediately. people complain about people who wont use the mcdonalds app too

Last edited:

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
just use mcdonalds wanting you to make an account using their app to give you the meal for the affordable price in exchange for your data as an example. theyll understand immediately
Maybe "you were able to use the self checkout or order at the cashier, but now you need to create a McD account to be able to make an order"

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
Moment the refunds started this was the only outcome. Nothing gets a business moving faster than seeing money flying out of their wallets.

Ingueferroque

Dec 26, 2023
New York, NY
Where are the "just make an account you entitled gamers" people. I want to see their faces.

Yes? Hi, hello~ what's the issue again? I will continue to use third party logins whenever there is an option. Do you think I'm going to have an issue with using my Capcom account for Monster Hunter Wilds? How do you personally deal with playing Microsoft, EA, Ubisoft, Namco, Bungie games? What about Final Fantasy XIV.. pretty sure that requires multiple accounts on top of Steam.

And whats with you wanting to see our faces? What scares me the most about all this vitriol in the last couple of days is that a lot of this heated dialogue spilled over into Era where suddenly there are people acting like a third party login is somehow the worst thing in the world for gaming.

(My comments do not include Sony's decision to not have an option for regions outside of PSN's coverage, and I hope they will have a solution for that soon since the game is still unavailable in many places.. even Puerto Rico and Japan which do have PSN?)

Ingueferroque

Dec 26, 2023
New York, NY
There's no issue with Japan. They have their own SKU that is only sold in the Japanese store, this was just misinformation.

Oh, someone in this thread mentioned it was removed for sale in Japan on Steam - so I assumed it was verified. Thanks for correcting that.

I bet the team at Arrowhead are breathing a sigh of relief right now.

I hope they get a week off honestly. Can't imagine how stressful this must have been, and still will be.

MANTRA

Feb 21, 2024
The initial announcement specifically said access to the game would be lost if a PSN account was not linked to the game:
Current players on Steam will start to see the mandatory login from May 30th and will be required to have linked a Steam and PlayStation Network account by June 4th.

So, yes, people were in fact going to lose access to the game they had already bought unless they used a TOS-breaking method.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
While this is an absolute win, I can only imagine this will make Sony fast track their own PC launcher and store so this doesn't happen again.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
This isn't a win for some keyboard warriors wanting clicks for refunds - it's going to make Sony (and other companies) more committed to getting these things to be standard. Just wait until GTA6 requires a T2 account…
Rockstar already do that with the infamously shit Rockstar Social Club, thing was so bad at one point that people could hack your game while you were playing single player lol. People definitely complain a lot about it though. R* don't really care though (I think they've fixed some stuff that people where complaining about for years not too long ago but it's far from good).

PARANOiA

Oct 25, 2017
Good reversal of an overwhelmingly negatively received and unnecessary change. Can't believe Sony let it get so out of hand before listening to their customers though. Dropping something like that on a Friday was a dumb move.