• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017
Are there any recent games that are akin to Drowned God or Myst? as I really like atmospheric first person puzzle based adventure games. I'm thinking about just going back and playing through a bunch of older ones but didn't know if any have recently come out.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the suggestions, all!

I've played Kathy Rain (loved it), Fran Bow (grew on me as I got used to its slightly janky dialogue; had better puzzles than I first expected), Thimbleweed Park (backed it on KS and really enjoyed it) and Darkside Detective (merely thought this was okay). Might have played the original Nelly Cootalot but can't remember; certainly haven't played the sequel or the other games mentioned. I shall report back!
They are "remastering" the original Nelly Cootalot, so you might want to wait for that to come out to support the dev and play it properly in widescreen. Don't think they are changing anything content wise.
Are there any recent games that are akin to Drowned God or Myst? as I really like atmospheric first person puzzle based adventure games. I'm thinking about just going back and playing through a bunch of older ones but didn't know if any have recently come out.
I recommend Obduction. It's pretty much a modern Myst.

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017
They are "remastering" the original Nelly Cootalot, so you might want to wait for that to come out to support the dev and play it properly in widescreen. Don't think they are changing anything content wise.

I recommend Obduction. It's pretty much a modern Myst.

Oooo thanks for reminding me! I bought that and completely forgot to play it.

OP
OP
sir_crocodile

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the suggestions, all!

I've played Kathy Rain (loved it), Fran Bow (grew on me as I got used to its slightly janky dialogue; had better puzzles than I first expected), Thimbleweed Park (backed it on KS and really enjoyed it) and Darkside Detective (merely thought this was okay). Might have played the original Nelly Cootalot but can't remember; certainly haven't played the sequel or the other games mentioned. I shall report back!

If you like British humour, try the two Ben and Dan games (Ben There Dan That and Time Gentleman Please). Available in a bundle on both Steam and GOG. Two of the funniest games I've ever played - in any genre.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's disappointing that the developers of the Ben and Dan games have apparently given up on adventure games. They were so damned good at it. It's kind of a stale genre but it's a perfect match for their dialogue.

Last edited:

BluWacky

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If you like British humour, try the two Ben and Dan games (Ben There Dan That and Time Gentleman Please). Available in a bundle on both Steam and GOG. Two of the funniest games I've ever played - in any genre.

Oh, I loved these. I am British, so it was right up my street (if a little crass)!

I even played Zombie Cow's terrible Worms-esque sexual health game - think it was called Privates? All I remember was that it was dumb.

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
Oh, I loved these. I am British, so it was right up my street (if a little crass)!

I even played Zombie Cow's terrible Worms-esque sexual health game - think it was called Privates? All I remember was that it was dumb.
Have you played Hektor? It's published by Telltale, but not developed by them.
Same kind of humor as Ben There games.
Also try Adventures of Duckman if you can get ahold of it.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Here's what I've been playing these past couple of weeks

Batman Telltale Season 2
I enjoyed it, it is the usual Telltale formula but there is some very visible improvements to the models and animations this time around. Funnily enough I did encounter a bizarre graphics bug when I reloaded just to see how a scene would play out if I chose a different option and instead of loading a proper cutscene it just showed the models ina glitch background. It fixed itself up during the next scene though.

D4 Dark Dreams Don't Die Season 1
Enjoyed this too. Sadly because my lappy uses Optimus (GTX 970M) I wasn't able to inject any NVidia options onto this DX11 game esp. as it didn't have any options for Anti Aliasing! Those jaggies made my eye bleed lol.
Loved the weird whacky and crazy characters in it and it's a very light adventure game with light puzzle/QTE segments. I strongly recommend playing this if you have it and if you can do any form of downsampling or DSR, do yourself a favour and apply it to make the visuals look cleaner.
If you have a 3 button mouse, the game in its entirety can be played using only that too!

The Cave
Replayed this recently and I overall enjoyed it. It's not exactly point and click but it's a decent enough adventure game with decent humor and serviceable puzzles IMO.

Sam & Max Season 2
Not much to say. i enjoyed the humor but felt that the villains were kinda forced as I didn't care much for them in the first game :P

Right now I am going through Indigo Prophecy Remastered. I'm expecting the ending to be off putting enough for me to get onto uninstalling it after I finish it :V

For now though I'd recommend keeping an eye out for these 2 Adventure games as they could use some love

KainXVIII

Oct 26, 2017
Replaying Gabriel Knight 3 right now, damn, this game is pretty good, even cat mustache puzzle is not so bad and humor is very amusing (especially Gabe-Mostly banter). Also liked detective puzzles (taking fingerprints, writing license plates, searching rooms for clues, eavesdropping with glass) and tinkering with Sydney PC and Serpent Rouge (and of the greatest puzzles of all time).
But you need to use dgvoodoo to play this game without framerate dips.

Last edited:

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Replaying Gabriel Knight 3 right now, damn, this game is pretty good, even cat mustache puzzle is not so bad and humor is very amusing (especially Gabe-Mostly banter). Also liked detective puzzles (taking fingerprints, writing license plates, searching rooms for clues, eavesdropping with glass) and tinkering with Sydney PC and Serpent Rouge (and of the greatest puzzles of all time).
But you need to use dgvoodoo to play this game without framerate dips.
Doesn't this game have a very awkward controls cheme? I remember trying to play it last year but was totally put off by the controls

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
See this is what you get if you actually go about checking out Steam's Upcoming page, you get interesting upcoming titles like this

Which are likely mentioned in the OP but I prob. forgot about :V

KainXVIII

Oct 26, 2017
After GK3 finally replayed Quest for Glory 1 VGA with mage and MT-32 emulation for music (i want to import my hero in QFG2), too bad that i don't get perfect score though! My body is ready for Shapeir!

d1c0bb7f-f4ee-4209-b22a-368501e4bf11
XscDbQr.png

gamegenie

Oct 30, 2017
I played Football Game the other night. Pretty good, short, dark pnc game from the makers of Mudlarks and Date in the Park. Only $2, I recommend it! It has a really cool soundtrack as well.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After GK3 finally replayed Quest for Glory 1 VGA with mage and MT-32 emulation for music (i want to import my hero in QFG2), too bad that i don't get perfect score though! My body is ready for Shapeir!

d1c0bb7f-f4ee-4209-b22a-368501e4bf11
XscDbQr.png
You going to play the new-fangled QFG2 or the original? Never tried the remaster. I love the original and think losing the text parser would suck

Bulletride

Mar 10, 2018
Any current or upcoming recommendations for point and click games on Switch? Just picked one up and it seems a perfect fit for the genre.

Got my eye on:
Darkside Detective
Bulb Boy
Syberia 1 & 2 (just not at the obscene RRP)

Anything else I've missed? Already played Thimbleweed Park but may double dip there.

gamegenie

Oct 30, 2017
I just played through Faith. It's not a point and click, but I feel it fits really well here. It's free, and it is awesome. The look and feel is reminiscent of an Atari game, but do not let that dissuade you. Once you get going, the music and atmosphere will really pull you in. It has a few 'cut scenes' that are surprisingly great. It is super good, and it is super creepy. I really recommend it. It takes less than one hour to finish.

If you are struggling at first:
When you reach the well, go up once, and then left 2 or 3 times. You should reach a shack. That is the first checkpoint, and it will give you access to the house.

I don't really want to post any pics or gifs beyond what is shown in the link, but spoiler if you are still not convinced:
FAITH-Game-Download.gif

Last edited:

Filur

Oct 27, 2017
I don't how fitting this is, but Daedalics new game State of Mind launches in August.

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's certainly the most interesting thing I've seen from Daedelic in a while.

Point and click adventures used to be my favorite genre, and I really enjoyed the little renaissance they were having a few years ago. That seems to have died down a lot though.

Lafazar

Oct 25, 2017
Bern, Switzerland

It's out now, anyone know if it's worth playing nowadays?

I just finished it, took me around 15 hours. I really liked it, but you have to be in the right mood for it, and it is definitely not for everyone, because this game is very slow-paced with lots of walking. But for me this just enhanced the sombre, melancholy atmosphere which was just great and next to the great visuals the main attraction of the game.

I really loved exploring this magic school with its insane architecture. The puzzles are more often of the "stay here and figure out magical device" variety than inventory puzzles and range from simple to clever to obnoxious to infuriating (at the end), but luckily there is a built in hint-system that gives out more and more concrete hints and even a very detailed map. The game feels strangely old-school puzzle-wise and very modern design-wise.

The story is very minimalistic, but still manages to surprise you now and then.

The music, voice acting and especially the graphics hold up very well thanks to the fantastic art direction. Make sure to enable antialiasing by editing the following lines in <Steam Folder>\steamapps\common\Keepsake\res\config\opengl.cfg
default:
Video.OpenGL.EnableBilinearMap = no
Video.OpenGL.SharpenMipmaps = 0
Video.OpenGL.TextureFilterAnisotropy = 1.0
Video.OpenGL.MultiSamples = 0
improved:
Video.OpenGL.EnableBilinearMap = yes
Video.OpenGL.SharpenMipmaps = 100
Video.OpenGL.TextureFilterAnisotropy = 2.0
Video.OpenGL.MultiSamples = 6

Although "SharpenMipmaps" may create undesirable edge artifacts, so I turned that off again, YMMV.

Edit: Before I forget: The game crashed a few times, so make sure to save regularly.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I just finished it, took me around 15 hours. I really liked it, but you have to be in the right mood for it, and it is definitely not for everyone, because this game is very slow-paced with lots of walking. But for me this just enhanced the sombre, melancholy atmosphere which was just great and next to the great visuals the main attraction of the game.

I really loved exploring this magic school with its insane architecture. The puzzles are more often of the "stay here and figure out magical device" variety than inventory puzzles and range from simple to clever to obnoxious to infuriating (at the end), but luckily there is a built in hint-system that gives out more and more concrete hints and even a very detailed map. The game feels strangely old-school puzzle-wise and very modern design-wise.

The story is very minimalistic, but still manages to surprise you now and then.

The music, voice acting and especially the graphics hold up very well thanks to the fantastic art direction. Make sure to enable antialiasing by editing the following lines in <Steam Folder>\steamapps\common\Keepsake\res\config\opengl.cfg
default:
Video.OpenGL.EnableBilinearMap = no
Video.OpenGL.SharpenMipmaps = 0
Video.OpenGL.TextureFilterAnisotropy = 1.0
Video.OpenGL.MultiSamples = 0
improved:
Video.OpenGL.EnableBilinearMap = yes
Video.OpenGL.SharpenMipmaps = 100
Video.OpenGL.TextureFilterAnisotropy = 2.0
Video.OpenGL.MultiSamples = 6

Although "SharpenMipmaps" may create undesirable edge artifacts, so I turned that off again, YMMV.

Edit: Before I forget: The game crashed a few times, so make sure to save regularly.
Thanks for impressions and thr aa tips
It is on my eishlist so ill pivk it up down the line

petran79

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greece
I am thinking that a point and click video game adaptation of Detective Monk would make all those obtuse puzzles and dead ends look perfectly reasonable, considering his psychological condition.

Futaleufu

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
The beginning act of Broken Sword 5 is already better than the entirety of Broken Sword 4. What a trainwreck it was.

thelongestj

Oct 27, 2017
GOG has certainly been on a roll this month. Curse of Monkey Island then Eric the Unready then The Dame Was Loaded and Now the Spellcasting Series. Every week there seems to be a new classic adventure game released.

For new games, I have my eye on Unforseen Incidents releasing on May 24. The graphics look great, but I will wait for impressions.