KimiNewt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So like, I only watched the first two episodes of this. I watched DP & XY and liked it (until the end) and I skipped Sun & Moon (and B&W) because I couldn't get into the tone and it just bored me.

I'm wondering if I should get into this (Ash gets a Gengar?! WTF), and if there's a list of non-filler episodes somewhere.
I mostly liked gym + league battles in the anime and wasn't super into the "story".

Also I see that gigamaxing is as boring and stupid as it is in the games.

OP
OP
Serebii

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Starting tomorrow, Pokémon Masters is running its first event to tie in with the anime. This event is Double Trouble and introduces Jessie & Arbok as a Sync Pair for all players.

Despite Jessie & James having been in Yellow and Let's Go, this is 100% an anime tie in. The voice actors used are the ones from the anime, which is different to every other character in the game which have appeared in both.

This event is a tie-in to the new movie, Coco, which was meant to be released on Friday but got delayed due to COVID19. It features Jessie & James being brought to Pasio by the Shiny Celebi of the movie.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like there's a Celebi episode coming up in the anime proper, too.

It's barely been a year since the last one!

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
The next batch of episodes are pretty interesting scenarios for what are essentially filler.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if the Celebi episode was meant to tie into the film somewhat (different canon) before the delays.

Also cool to get an episode about Feebas into Milotic which was never really commented on beyond a few gags. Maybe we'll get an episode about Nincada's evolution finally...

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Starting tomorrow, Pokémon Masters is running its first event to tie in with the anime. This event is Double Trouble and introduces Jessie & Arbok as a Sync Pair for all players.

Despite Jessie & James having been in Yellow and Let's Go, this is 100% an anime tie in. The voice actors used are the ones from the anime, which is different to every other character in the game which have appeared in both.

This event is a tie-in to the new movie, Coco, which was meant to be released on Friday but got delayed due to COVID19. It features Jessie & James being brought to Pasio by the Shiny Celebi of the movie.

Makes me wonder if more anime sync pairs can happen. Still holding out for Ash and Greninja.

C-revo

Oct 25, 2017
Go is the first companion that I truly dislike. He has been a true screentime hog. If they did a better job of balancing out important events for both characters it wouldn't be so bad but it's the Go show almost every episode and if it isn't he still gets a rushed unearned accomplishment.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Go is the first companion that I truly dislike. He has been a true screentime hog. If they did a better job of balancing out important events for both characters it wouldn't be so bad but it's the Go show almost every episode and if it isn't he still gets a rushed unearned accomplishment.
It isn't "Goh's show" every episode and what a hyperbolic statement to make. There are obvious focus episodes on both Goh and Ash. There have also been many episodes focused on Ash so far. It's such a weird statement to make when the major events in the series revolve around Ash. People really out here like the most important events in this season haven't been Ash centric lmao. If anything Goh needs more big character focus and episodes.

And even if you refused to believe there was an equal sharing of screen time, you can't act like it isn't nice to see Ash in the mentor role and in what is perhaps the most advanced stage we've ever seen him in.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
It isn't "Goh's show" every episode and what a hyperbolic statement to make. There are obvious focus episodes on both Goh and Ash. There have also been many episodes focused on Ash so far. It's such a weird statement to make when the major events in the series revolve around Ash. People really out here like the most important events in this season haven't been Ash centric lmao. If anything Goh needs more big character focus and episodes.

And even if you refused to believe there was an equal sharing of screen time, you can't act like it isn't nice to see Ash in the mentor role and in what is perhaps the most advanced stage we've ever seen him in.
The issue is, even in an Ash focused episode so much time is spent on Goh's antics. The same doesn't happen for Ash in Goh episodes

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
The issue is, even in an Ash focused episode so much time is spent on Goh's antics. The same doesn't happen for Ash in Goh episodes
At one point you guys need to accept that Goh catching mons almost every episode is a necessary trait of his quest. They don't want him catching them off-screen so in order to do it, they need to have him do it in episodes that don't involve him as the central narrative character. However, it's unfair to complain about this because even in the episodes where his antics invade the narrative it doesn't even matter.

I guess the issue is how Ash is handled in Goh's episodes? I was gonna break down all the Ash centric episodes before I realized they all boiled down to "Goh is doing things as a main character can't have that". Instead, I wanted to focus on Ash in the Goh centric episodes which consistently have him playing as a friend to Goh and a mentor.

Even then Pokemon isn't a show that stops for a time then resumes between sagas. There is a literal thousand episodes worth of Ash content. It's insane that now a new character, who has been blatantly advertised as a new main character, is getting dumped on for stealing screen time. It's nonsense. And no I don't hold all this against you. Just pent this up for a long time lol sorry

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
They can easily focus on the battle during Ash battle episodes. They don't need to have Goh go out and catch Pokémon and almost miss the match. That is their choice. They could easily not have Goh do that. They didn't even pull that when Ash was the only main character and the others were side characters. They got entire episodes dedicated to their stuff.

C-revo

Oct 25, 2017
I did a quick breakdown of the episodes. Go has gotten something towards his goal or highlight in almost 80% of episodes, Ash on the other hand less than 50%.

Episode 1 - Go
Episode 2 - Ash/Go
Episode 3 -
Episode 4 - Go
Episode 5 - Go
Episode 6 - Go
Episode 7 - Ash/Go
Episode 8 - Go
Episode 9 - Go
Episode 10 - Ash/Go
Episode 11 -
Episode 12 - Ash
Episode 13 - Ash/Go
Episode 14 - Go
Episode 15 - Go
Episode 16 - Ash
Episode 17 - Go
Episode 18 - Ash/Go
Episode 19 -
Episode 20 - Ash/Go
Episode 21 - Ash/Go
Episode 22 - Go
Episode 23 - Go
Episode 24 - Go
Episode 25 - Ash/Go
Episode 26 - Go
Episode 27 - Ash
Episode 28 - Go

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
They can easily focus on the battle during Ash battle episodes. They don't need to have Goh go out and catch Pokémon and almost miss the match. That is their choice. They could easily not have Goh do that. They didn't even pull that when Ash was the only main character and the others were side characters. They got entire episodes dedicated to their stuff.
Yes because we want to watch entire episodes dedicated to Goh catching things because that's taking the world by storm right now. This argument is straight up in favor of things you're arguing against. Goh is in a situation where he literally cannot win. I haven't seen something like this in the 13 years I've been in the anime fandom.

And I know it's a nitpick but Goh isn't a side character. He and Ash are literal co-main characters.

I did a quick breakdown of the episodes. Go has gotten something towards his goal or highlight in almost 80% of episodes, Ash on the other hand less than 50%.

Episode 1 - Go
Episode 2 - Ash/Go
Episode 3 -
Episode 4 - Go
Episode 5 - Go
Episode 6 - Go
Episode 7 - Ash/Go
Episode 8 - Go
Episode 9 - Go
Episode 10 - Ash/Go
Episode 11 -
Episode 12 - Ash
Episode 13 - Ash/Go
Episode 14 - Go
Episode 15 - Go
Episode 16 - Ash
Episode 17 - Go
Episode 18 - Ash/Go
Episode 19 -
Episode 20 - Ash/Go
Episode 21 - Ash/Go
Episode 22 - Go
Episode 23 - Go
Episode 24 - Go
Episode 25 - Ash/Go
Episode 26 - Go
Episode 27 - Ash
Episode 28 - Go
It's almost like showcasing Goh catching one of the over 800 mons per episode is easier than giving Ash a full fight per episode. Weird metic but okay.

I'm so incredibly done with this nonsense. And I'm a massive Ash stan.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Yes because we want to watch entire episodes dedicated to Goh catching things because that's taking the world by storm right now. This argument is straight up in favor of things you're arguing against. Goh is in a situation where he literally cannot win. I haven't seen something like this in the 13 years I've been in the anime fandom.

And I know it's a nitpick but Goh isn't a side character. He and Ash are literal co-main characters.
It isn't that Goh isn't a main character, it is that they are treating Ash worse than the old side characters... We had an episode about a fighting championship, so why not just have Goh stay on the side for once. Goh doesn't need to catch every episode, he gets his own focus episodes and he still can catch mons in every normal non-story episode.

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
I think the real problem with Goh is that his goal is boring and underutilized to many folks, and for awhile people that his catches sans for a small few are just props instead of characters like the Pokemon in previous series. A lot of people also fear the possibility of Goh catching their faves in that they will just rot in the lab instead of showing their stuff on the battlefield. I remember a lot of people being disappointed with Goh catching Golurk instead of Ash for this reason.

Remember to stan Grookey
I hope you are prepared for Goh getting Grookey too!

That said, if Ash does hypothetically get Grookey. It would be the first time in awhile that his starter ace was the least popular among the starter set since Pignite.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
Does it matter if he does or if he doesn't? We don't actually know if he takes a full team with him everywhere or not. And if he doesn't that doesn't change that the issues with BW could easily replicate themselves here. I'm not entirely against the idea but uh let's just say I don't have a lot of faith lol.

Seems like in most episodes he only has Pikachu with him.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
I think the real problem with Goh is that his goal is boring and underutilized to many folks, and for awhile people that his catches sans for a small few are just props instead of characters like the Pokemon in previous series. A lot of people also fear the possibility of Goh catching their faves in that they will just rot in the lab instead of showing their stuff on the battlefield. I remember a lot of people being disappointed with Goh catching Golurk instead of Ash for this reason.

I hope you are prepared for Goh getting Grookey too!

That said, if Ash does hypothetically get Grookey. It would be the first time in awhile that his starter ace was the least popular among the starter set since Pignite.
But Grookey is the best.

Everyday Math

Oct 25, 2017
For me I found all the Galar starters to be meh so Gou can get them all for I care. Far more interesting Pokémon out there for Ash to get.

ahdurian

Oct 25, 2017
i honestly want him to get a Dragapult just so we can see some team battles where Pikachu rides on one of the tiny dragons being blasted

Aug 7, 2019
Save the salt for when Goh becomes the main battler of the series in Gen 9

If this Goh kid still hasn't grown on ya, then you're probably the type of person that would kick a crying Sobble

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why aren't they focusing more on the rich character of Ash, who's been the star of over 500 episodes.

Nov 25, 2019
I don't really mind that the Galar starters are going to Go. He's a new protagonist after all. However, I do hope Sobble gets much better development than all of the other Pokémon stuck with Go. Maybe this one will end up helping poor Raboot do something, with Raboot's inherent status as protector of the weak and Sobble being a weakling, a "big brother-little brother" dynamic is almost imminent.

I'm still disappointed that Ash's team only has 1 Galar mon so far. He doesn't need the starters, but there are tons of great Galar Pokémon out there and my boy is not befriending them.

OP
OP
Serebii

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Ect3WHDWAAEnS_c

Nov 25, 2019
Yamper is amazing and I'm sad it doesn't appear more. The dog was just knocking the head of the dead bird while trying to help. Next episode looks amazing.

Go catching Sobble by pure luck is dumb, but at least they bonded throughout the episode, even if it had like 10 plot devices thrown around for them to actually understand each other. The episode had a lot of great jokes but my favorite was how they poked fun at the "fake eyes" of Armaldo and Magnezone. The Rocket Gacha is one of the worst things to ever happen but at least gave us that gem.

Let's see what happens to Sobble. It's a starter belonging to a main character, but I'm cautious.

Aug 7, 2019
If Team Rocket never sees Morpeko again, it doing its gag on them one time was enough for me

My only complaint is the animators getting tired of animating the Farfetch'd one fourth into the episode

Sobble went to the more passionate trainer too (if you haven't noticed, Goh has more of a personality than Ash)

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Gatorland
Assuming that Go also gets Grookey, I wonder if Ash is going to get any Galar pokemon then?

I know the theory now is that Ash's team is being comprised by some of the most popular pokemon in the franchise. I know the two most popular of Gen 8 (Dragapult and Toxtricity) both kind of alraedy overlap with what Ash got on his team.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Assuming that Go also gets Grookey, I wonder if Ash is going to get any Galar pokemon then?

I know the theory now is that Ash's team is being comprised by some of the most popular pokemon in the franchise. I know the two most popular of Gen 8 (Dragapult and Toxtricity) both kind of alraedy overlap with what Ash got on his team.
Sirfetch'd and he will probably get at least one other. I don't see him being limited to six this season.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
Sirfetch'd and he will probably get at least one other. I don't see him being limited to six this season.
Hope that if he gets more than six that they don't suffer like the extra pokemon that Ash had in BW, spend over 30 chapters without appearing again and without personality, worst season ever

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Rotation would work FAR better with the current setup than it did with Black and White, in fairness. It's much easier to rotate when you're going on one-off missions from a home base than when you're on an ongoing journey, and the lab setup would allow you to have more than the core group of Pokémon if they like.

They could screw it up like they did with BW (Christ, what was the point of Palpitoad or Boldore?), but it's not a given.

OP
OP
Serebii

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Rotation would work FAR better with the current setup than it did with Black and White, in fairness. It's much easier to rotate when you're going on one-off missions from a home base than when you're on an ongoing journey, and the lab setup would allow you to have more than the core group of Pokémon if they like.

They could screw it up like they did with BW (Christ, what was the point of Palpitoad or Boldore?), but it's not a given.
Rotation is really likely.

They probably may even include older ones down the line too

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Keep in mind too that Mr. Mime is counted as one of his Pokemon, but it doesn't seem to be as much of a consistent member, even if he's used it in battle.

But yeah, he already has a full team and we're only half a year in. He'll get more.