Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Sinnoh is annoying to navigate but that's alright. I'm the kind of person who enjoys water routes.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Sinnoh is annoying to navigate but that's alright. I'm the kind of person who enjoys water routes.
It's weird because I like exploring in other games but in Pokemon there are few times where I feel really excited to jump into a cave.

Like Johto has all these dungeons to explore and they're huge and complex... And I don't care because they're just boring caves filled with Zubat and Geodude random encounters with some rudimentary Strength puzzles I've already done a million times and a bunch of Rock Smash boulders which are really just Cut trees with a different skin.

I hate to go all Gen 1er, but there's a reason the Seafoam Islands, Victory Road, the Power Plant, and the Unknown Dungeon all had a one-of-a-kind legendary at the end. Exploring in Pokemon games often doesn't feel nearly as rewarding as it should, both the journey and the destination.

Lol that's not what I meant :P but yea
Sorry, I just couldn't resist. :P

trajon

Dec 5, 2017
It's weird because I like exploring in other games but in Pokemon there are few times where I feel really excited to jump into a cave.

Like Johto has all these dungeons to explore and they're huge and complex... And I don't care because they're just boring caves filled with Zubat and Geodude random encounters with some rudimentary Strength puzzles I've already done a million times and a bunch of Rock Smash boulders which are really just Cut trees with a different skin.

I get to go all Gen 1er, but there's a reason the Seafoam Islands, Victory Road, the Power Plant, and the Unknown Dungeon all had a one-of-a-kind legendary at the end.
Personally, I think this is much less of an issue now that random encounters are (mostly) removed from the games with Let's go and Sw/Sh. Will have to watch the trailers for these again though, can't remember if they're back for these remakes or not.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Personally, I think this is much less of an issue now that random encounters are (mostly) removed from the games with Let's go and Sw/Sh. Will have to watch the trailers for these again though, can't remember if they're back for these remakes or not.

This game has random encounters for most of the game, it has overworld Pokemon for some of the underground.

trajon

Dec 5, 2017
This game has random encounters for most of the game, it has overworld Pokemon for some of the underground.

Being that they're from a generation when random encounters were still a thing, I suppose that's not surprising… I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit disappointed though lol.

Thanks for letting me know!

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Being that they're from a generation when random encounters were still a thing, I suppose that's not surprising… I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit disappointed though lol.

Thanks for letting me know!

I definitely get the disappointment. I'm excited, but that's because this is the first time we've gotten a game random with encounters in a while and I'd like to continue getting them every so often. I don't want to see them gone forever, even if they're gone from most of the games.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
GF has also essentially figured out how to do water routes. Faster surf speed and the repel prompt goes a long way

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
They're way too uncommon now is the problem for me. I miss being able to see a patch of water and knowing I'd be able to surf on it, too.
hmm I guess I see your point. Do you think the dlc helped with this? I did feel like they were better with surf areas there and I'm interested in that getting expanded in legends

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
hmm I guess I see your point. Do you think the dlc helped with this? I did feel like they were better with surf areas there and I'm interested in that getting expanded in legends

I haven't had a chance to play the Isles yet. As much as I love Pokemon games, that style of DLC being plopped in later just isn't how my gaming habits work. So I can't really judge them.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
The power of the console increasing does not decrease the workload required to create assets for a game for that console, it does the opposite: more time and manpower is required to produce the assets for more complex games made possible by improved hardware. Capacity is not the issue.

That's why I said I know there's other issues like the time constraints.

What I don't get is this logic of how could someone think, or how could the most logical thing to assume be that as time goes by, each game or each generation would get shorter and shorter in Pokémon, when videogame technology keeps improving in general?

Like realistically, independently of what we know now about the timing and "manpower", and without intentions of trashing GameFreak or anything, who would've thought back in Gen VII, with USUM having 800+ Pokémon, the next generation of games would only have 600-ish, almost as much as Gen V.

I find it kinda depressing if we think that way, like, what is the point on videogame consoles getting better and with more capacity, if game developers won't take or won't be able to take advantage of it, whether is Pokémon or any game in general? You'd think, or at least, that's what I used to think years ago, that they would somehow find the way to not only produce game consoles with a more advanced technology, but also a way to program videogames for them in a way that results more easy, affordable (both in terms of money and time), in terms of mechanics, graphic assets, animations, etc.

It's really sad and I refuse to live in this reality where the successor of the Switch, or the one that comes after that, turns out being this great console, with amazing graphics and process power, etc, only to have a game with just a couple hundreds of Pokémon because there's not enough manpower or time or whatever to import every Pokémon from the Switch in two years or whatever amount of time they give them. I think everyone, both developers and fans, should dream bigger, and make it happen, because the franchise really deserves it. There's no one better to be the ones pushing the boundaries, milking every bit of the resources they get with each console, like they did with Gen I games, or even forcing them to create that whatever extra technology they need to achieve their big goals. But as I said, not only Pokémon, in general that should be the mindset of every franchise, but the nature of Pokémon I think it's the perfect one to take that role.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
That's why I said I know there's other issues like the time constraints.

What I don't get is this logic of how could someone think, or how could the most logical thing to assume be that as time goes by, each game or each generation would get shorter and shorter in Pokémon, when videogame technology keeps improving in general?

Like realistically, independently of what we know now about the timing and "manpower", and without intentions of trashing GameFreak or anything, who would've thought back in Gen VII, with USUM having 800+ Pokémon, the next generation of games would only have 600-ish, almost as much as Gen V.

I find it kinda depressing if we think that way, like, what is the point on videogame consoles getting better and with more capacity, if game developers won't take or won't be able to take advantage of it, whether is Pokémon or any game in general? You'd think, or at least, that's what I used to think years ago, that they would somehow find the way to not only produce game consoles with a more advanced technology, but also a way to program videogames for them in a way that results more easy, affordable (both in terms of money and time), in terms of mechanics, graphic assets, animations, etc.

It's really sad and I refuse to live in this reality where the successor of the Switch, or the one that comes after that, turns out being this great console, with amazing graphics and process power, etc, only to have a game with just a couple hundreds of Pokémon because there's not enough manpower or time or whatever to import every Pokémon from the Switch in two years or whatever amount of time they give them. I think everyone, both developers and fans, should dream bigger, and make it happen, because the franchise really deserves it. There's no one better to be the ones pushing the boundaries, milking every bit of the resources they get with each console, like they did with Gen I games, or even forcing them to create that whatever extra technology they need to achieve their big goals. But as I said, not only Pokémon, in general that should be the mindset of every franchise, but the nature of Pokémon I think it's the perfect one to take that role.

Depends how knew you are to gaming. If old enough to remember the PlayStation RPGs, especially games like FF7-9 and their insane amount of unique backgrounds, and compare that to how RPGs were in generations after, with a lot less unique assets, more re-used assets, etc. Or less unique backgrounds in general. Lots of variety in gaming has been lost.

But your idea that "every franchise needs to make every sequel bigger" is the exact mindset that has lead to games needing thousands of workers, insane crunch, etc. It's impossible to constantly create larger and more detailed things.