• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kiraly

Oct 30, 2017
I remember in the other thread, a few months back (?) it was reported that a Chinese leaker had said the graphics would end up VERY disappointing. With the Lapras picture looking more real with the day, this was most likely true as well.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
The stages of grief for a Nintendo fanboy/fangirl.

• Denial
  • Denying that you ever had any concerns and they have delivered the best they could given whatever made up constraints you can think up.
Pretty much. People in this thread have already concluded that this is a mobile game ported to Switch that will look like Sun/Moon in HD. It will also be rushed because they only started developing it last year after they saw the Switch success. And of course when the game turns out to be great they will suggest that their concerns made Nintendo change their plans and god bless community for saving the franchise.

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
E2HtADt.png

Already posted?

Doesn't fit our screenshot at all. No Eevee on his head, and the trainer wasn't wearing a hat like Red.

Also the rumor that we won't actually play as Red/Blue but rather a new trainer doesn't fit with this.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Dumb question. But what is the significance of Eevee that it's possibly the main legendary for this new series? Been playing since Gen 1 but fell off the series around the middle (played X and Y / Sun & Moon).

I get Pikachu since he's always been seen as a main character. I'm assuming this is a call back to older gen?

In Yellow the rivals starter was Eevee.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Dont count on being able to evolve it if it's based on Pokemon Yellow as the og leak said. You couldn't evolve Pikachu in that game
And since both Pikachu and Eevee have exclusive Z-Moves in their base form, I could see them calling it a day with that
Yeah but Pikachu isn't a Pokemon entirely based on the gimmick of multiple evolution branches, whose name is derived from "Evolve"

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed

This also fucks up by dream game scenario of a Kanto remake with full 3D expansive world with camera controls

Seems like the remake will be on the level of ORAS so what's the point

If this is the cheap route they are taking I hope all those 4, 5 and 6 scores show them they cant get away with it (and i really hope they are getting smacked by reviewers this time if thats the route they want to go). Of course, stupid of all of us it will sell well and they will learn nothing, or even worst, that they can get away with zero work.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Pretty sure the leak indicated that Red (and Blue) weren't the player characters, but characters in the story. Gonna call fake on the screenshot.

CoinStarDX

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Why do you think they've gone with this disparate branding based on Pokemon Go? They're hedging their bets here. If it flops, they can just say that it wasn't a mainline game and that the next proper game is still coming. If it succeeds? Then it's the new direction for the series and Pokemon as we know it is no more.

If it were originally designed for Switch from the beginning, then there would be no need for this strange branding choice.
Or Pokémon Go was incredibly popular and reminded a ton of people that Pokémon even existed at all, and now Nintendo has a huge audience and consumer interest with the switch, and want to capitalize on people's fond memories of Pokémon Go.
It's either that or your crazy conspiracy theory.

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
Why do you think they've gone with this disparate branding based on Pokemon Go? They're hedging their bets here. If it flops, they can just say that it wasn't a mainline game and that the next proper game is still coming. If it succeeds? Then it's the new direction for the series and Pokemon as we know it is no more.

If it were originally designed for Switch from the beginning, then there would be no need for this strange branding choice; it would be clear from the outset that this was the next main game. But on mobile? Well, that's a different story.

Your logic works out, just I think Nintendo would throw their weight around and force them not to no matter what. Nintendo still controls Pokémon too.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017

Why not writing down where you found it? Anyway, that looks more weird than the blurry Lapras screen, mainly because the dimensions are off. Eevee is way to big compared to Red/Ash/Trainer in front of it.

Oh FCK

What's japan time at???? What's our time at????

WE NEED A CLOCK

Yeah i wrote something similar in the other thread ... but this could be a "So I meet my old nemesis again, timezones"-thing. ^^

TheOGB

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Dumb question. But what is the significance of Eevee that it's possibly the main legendary for this new series? Been playing since Gen 1 but fell off the series around the middle (played X and Y / Sun & Moon).

I get Pikachu since he's always been seen as a main character. I'm assuming this is a call back to older gen?
Going by the rumors, this'll be a Pokemon Yellow remake/sequel (think Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds). Pikachu was the player's starter in that game, and the rival character (based on Blue/Gary Oak) started with Eevee.

Link_enfant

One Winged Slayer
Jan 20, 2018
France
I mean, yes, Kirby is a gorgeous game with bad priorities since it's an action game and should have looked less good to run at 60 FPS.

But Pokemon running at 30 FPS is just right.
It is, but personally I'll always miss that sweet full 60fps take on Gen 3, and especially the 60fps battles in Gen 5. That really added something and the attack animations could look even better.
Of course, solid 30fps without drops is fine, but considering the huge hardware power gap I'd really be disappointed (or should I say "annoyed"?) if we don't get 60fps for "simple" Pokémon games, which tend to never be that demanding graphically compared to what hardware they were released on.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This game is zero work now that needs to be review bombed. Woof. And no one has even seen a trailer of it.

What is even happening ITT...

MattB

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I hope there is no battle cut. Just a smooth transition into battle where the camera lowers behind you. That would be awesome. If the Pokemon are out in the wild, it may be likely!

There is a grid... But he's walking slanted? Makes no sense.
I think it's fake but isn't that exactly how x&y are? It has a grid but you can move in full 3d.

Oct 29, 2017
Your logic works out, just I think Nintendo would throw their weight around and force them not to no matter what. Nintendo still controls Pokémon too.

They do have control, but at the same time they also allow TPC to work with the brand autonomously. It might well have been a contingency plan from the very beginning for all we know (where it would release on mobile if Switch flopped out of the gate or get ported to Switch if it was a success - after all, ports from mobile to Switch are easy by virtue of the Switch's hardware architecture).

While I do agree that Nintendo wouldn't have allowed TPC to release a mainline game when they have a successful console/handheld, I also don't think that Nintendo would have allowed the brand to die with their consoles if the Switch failed to take off in the way they needed it to; especially after the success of Pokemon Go. You have to remember that the Switch launch was basically do or die for the company, as far as their game development side goes, as there was a very real chance that Nintendo would have had to abandon development on dedicated devices if the Switch didn't take off.

TPC was pivoting towards mobile well before Nintendo even began their mobile initiative; they felt that the writing was on the wall for dedicated handhelds and Nintendo's consoles were on the verge of total collapse too. It would've been a sensible decision for TPC to make given their situation.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed

This also fucks up by dream game scenario of a Kanto remake with full 3D expansive world with camera controls

You know what's really sad ?

We reached the point where I would literally spend 3 hours in the first city in a modern 3d (BOTW style) pokemon, just looking at trees and npcs, just fulfilling a childhood fantasy.

You would think starting over with Gen 1 would be the perfect opportunity to create new styles and templates for the years to come.

I'm not ready to stop believing. But if that image leaked is real, oof.

There's also the possibility that water travel is old school because they weren't gonna bother designing seas for the first game.

But yeah...

hidys

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Here some video comparisons of sun/moon in HD

With better textures, and an updated rendering engine that has an improved lightning system and some kind of filtering on backgrounds I can see this looking quite good tbh.

It is completely mind blowing how much detail is lost in the original version.

Cryxok

Oct 27, 2017
México
Yeah but Pikachu isn't a Pokemon entirely based on the gimmick of multiple evolution branches, whose name is derived from "Evolve"
Again, Eevee still has Extreme Evo Boost so it's gimmick is still there. I'm just saying nothing is a guarantee atm. They could as well introduce a new evo for both of them and force them on us, because plot. Interesting given the Gorochu tidbit they revealed not too long ago

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So...this is a Yellow remake?
tenor.gif

As a long time fan of the franchise I'm really sick of the Gen 1 nostalgia pandering. Shame that they are making this for their first Switch game.

Guess that means Gen 8 games (and D/P remakes) are even farther away than I thought too, urgh.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
If this is the cheap route they are taking I hope all those 4, 5 and 6 scores show them they cant get away with it (and i really hope they are getting smacked by reviewers this time if thats the route they want to go). Of course, stupid of all of us it will sell well and they will learn nothing, or even worst, that they can get away with zero work.
"They aren't giving me what I want so media should bash this thing and people shouldn't buy it, otherwise they are all stupid".

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Woke up to this.

Whoa. Well...whatever happens, Eevee > Pikachu because Eevee evolves into Jolteon and that's one of the greatest Pokemon lol.

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I don't mind Sun and Moon's graphics rendered in higher res, however, I expect more, with the jump from 3DS to Switch. Hopefully Gamefreak can deliver.

I also hope for the world to not be 1:1.

Wolf of Yharnam

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That picture looks so fake. The fucking screen of the Switch isn't even aligned with the bezel. Like come on, looks like someone just photoshopped a fake screenshot on a Switch

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Minimum cleanup?
That texture work needs a serious make over from zero (and the way the texturing in some terrain in in this shots, with the same thing repeating a million times, maybe even need some new programing if there are texture limitation in the engine they are using), apart from that, it needs to start using textures techinices like bump mapping, etc.. for some of that stuff, and the only overworld shot showed in those screen looks absolutely terrible and a game that looks like its coming from a PSP or a cheap psvita game. Some serious modelling of the overworld need to be done if they want the game look modern enough. And while, yes, the pokemon models look great (and if they already look so great, theres no excuse now they couldnt make the world and characters better when they dont need to touch the pokemons anymore) the character models look crap.
Thats not minimum cleanup.

Nobody here is asking for pokken. But the leaked image if true is used fucking grid system terrain.
I never like to say lazy devs but with Bethesda and Game freak I always do an exception, with the huge quanities of money they make they should be able to do MUCH better, and if your team doesnt have the people to do that stuff just hire a new more modern team. And if they needed more time they should have done shown, I would gladly waited more years gor a better pokemon that meets modern JRPG standards.
If they are using the grid terrain in this new game it will only be, no matter how much they use the fucking "its to make it similar to the originals" excuse (and thts a terrible excuse on its own already, becuase absolutely nobody wants thats), the most absolutely lazy and cheap a big studio with high budget (and if the money is not going to develop better games, they should make their priorities right) has ever done. Full stop.
The pokemon models already use normal mapping, specular maps, and emissive maps. The normal maps just controls how the shadows curve around the topology rather than add more detail (rather, it removes topographical detail)

CoinStarDX

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
...I don't remember. I'll look it up by on YouTube.

Doesn't look like it. IIRC, you could kinda get away with it by using roller skates using the circle pad.

Yeah once you got to roller skates you could use the circle pad to have freemovment or use the dpad to snap back to the grid. It was an interesting compromise.