• Before

Votes: 145 41.9%
  • After

Votes: 201 58.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
I do wonder if Gen 9 while having modernish cities will be more environmental focused like with Legends Arecus. I feel like it makes sense considering the Openish World. I expect some modern tech but i wonder if Gen 9 will go for a more rustic design rather then having huge detailed modern buildings o they can focus more on the open world portion.
Is that really any different from any of the past generations? There was always modern cities with nature. Well, except for Johto which had a mix of more olden day cities. I admit, I kind of want to see the series return to a Japan based setting for Gen 9. Or something entirely fictional and not constrained by having references/shout outs to real places

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Is that really any different from any of the past generations? There was always modern cities with nature. Well, except for Johto which had a mix of more olden day cities. I admit, I kind of want to see the series return to a Japan based setting for Gen 9. Or something entirely fictional and not constrained by having references/shout outs to real places
I guess i feel like Gen 9 is going to put less empathise on cities compared to Gen 8 - i expect a few but I think they will be smaller and more like Jubilife in Legends Arecus - it sorta makes sense to put less of a focus on the city areas if they want to do more and more focus on the wild areas. I don't feel like Gen 9 will return to Japan but i could see it being based in a country in Asia.

Oct 27, 2017
I guess i feel like Gen 9 is going to put less empathise on cities compared to Gen 8 - i expect a few but I think they will be smaller and more like Jubilife in Legends Arecus - it sorta makes sense to put less of a focus on the city areas if they want to do more and more focus on the wild areas. I don't feel like Gen 9 will return to Japan but i could see it being based in a country in Asia.
I don't see why it has to be one or the other. Plenty of JRPGs do both and modern cities don't clash with this gameplay wise. Like I said, most previous gens were characterized by this, just in 2D

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
that's why I think routes will just be pathing in the larger fields. like instead of "Path to the Peak" it's "Route whatever"

in other news, IoA and CT are more linear than it looks

pokemon_swsh_crown_tundra_map_by_new3dssuchti_de7ealy-fullview.jpg

pokemon_sword___shield_isle_of_armor__wip__by_new3dssuchti_ddzl58d-fullview.jpg
Something like The Crown Tundra but massively expanded to be a whole game would be great, as long as there is plenty of trainers, towns and cities. Would also be nice if one or two of the open areas were comparable to the areas in Legends Arceus. It also doesn't have to be one big map, having it cut up intelligently here and there would be totally fine, that's how most JRPGs are these days anyways.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck gyms forever. Sun and Moon and Legends showed they can do other things without being limited by the repetition of tired ideas. It's already a miracle gyms were great in SWSH, I don't see what else they can do with the concept.

Slamtastic

Oct 26, 2017
Gyms are the core of the Pokemon experience.

Legends is lesser for their absence and that's a big part of why some look at it and see a spinoff.

But gyms definitely need to move away from being type based and onto broader theme based ones, like "Forest", which could have a mix of bug, grass, rodent and bird, and Pikachu as a reference to gen 1. A lot more interesting than just a Grass gym.

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't matter how they frame it. Gyms, trials, or whatever. If they don't start providing real level design or real puzzles, or really anything that's actually fun to do, it won't matter how they change it aesthetically. Every once in a while there's something decent. But as a whole they need a real shakeup, not just an aesthetic one. They can do that while keeping gyms. Or they can do something different.

Necro Felipe

Editor-in-chief at Universo Nintendo
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Brasil
GYMs are important to the Mainline franchise that is theme of the Present standard games, they can change a little bit — as what was made with SwSh final battles, but I think that this will keep going Gen after Gen
They're stablishing Legends as new Mainline side by side to have another take with more freedom from Standard patterns (TCG, Anime, VCG)

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck gyms forever. Sun and Moon and Legends showed they can do other things without being limited by the repetition of tired ideas. It's already a miracle gyms were great in SWSH, I don't see what else they can do with the concept.
The best trials were basically gyms (enclosed spaces with a fun little puzzle thematic to the type in question), but with a boss Pokemon instead of a boss trainer.

Whatever they call them, the games need to keep something that fits this niche.

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
So how confident are we exactly in a trailer/previews this coming week? I feel pretty confident, but we've definitely been burned before lmao.

Oct 27, 2017

Legends is lesser for their absence and that's a big part of why some look at it and see a spinoff.

But gyms definitely need to move away from being type based and onto broader theme based ones, like "Forest", which could have a mix of bug, grass, rodent and bird, and Pikachu as a reference to gen 1. A lot more interesting than just a Grass gym.

They have so many models that they've used for how to handle different types of gyms. Between theme/setting based like you said, or based on strategies (ie. status effects), or with their own unique rules like the Battle Frontier facilities, or stuff like the Trick House. They just need to stop being so incredibly risk averse at changing things. Even the gyms in SwSh were exactly the same as before, just with the window dressing of a Stadium setting

Soltis

Feb 28, 2019
United States
I admit, I kind of want to see the series return to a Japan based setting for Gen 9. Or something entirely fictional and not constrained by having references/shout outs to real places

I've mentioned this in other Pokémon threads, but there are other distinct regions of Japan that could theoretically be made into games. I doubt we'll ever see games based on these regions, though.

Are they, though? I can only speak for myself, but defeating gyms, to me, always felt like checking boxes off of a checklist. They could be fun to explore and traverse, but in essentially the same ways other areas could be explored and traversed.

Personally, exploration was always what I enjoyed most about Pokémon games - uncovering every area's item or secret, coming back later to further explore after getting new HMs/techniques.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Centros back with stuff we already knew:

Hisuian Sligoo and Goodra aren't there because they are Hisuian Forms

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
It would honestly be the funniest thing in the world to me if a majority of these turned out to be wrong and all the leakers get egg on their face, it would be immensely satisfying given how awful all of those people are. Also idk why centro is even posting this

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
The best trials were basically gyms (enclosed spaces with a fun little puzzle thematic to the type in question), but with a boss Pokemon instead of a boss trainer.

Whatever they call them, the games need to keep something that fits this niche.
I don't consider trials to be mechanically or thematically the same as gyms at all, but they obviously work as the story checkpoints. What they do prove is that they can try new ideas without going back to gyms for the 8th time, or 9th if we consider BW2 separately. I'm just so over it.

Charlie0108

Oct 29, 2017
I like gyms, I'd be pretty opposed to them going away. From the looks of these games so far, unless they've really hidden it, there is going to be basically no meaningful trainer battles, which is part of the reason I'm not super excited for release.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I like gyms, I'd be pretty opposed to them going away. From the looks of these games so far, unless they've really hidden it, there is going to be basically no meaningful trainer battles, which is part of the reason I'm not super excited for release.
We'll definitely fight important characters such as the villain if there is one. The combat system doesn't really work if it's just 6v1 battles, the whole switching and team building mechanics fly out of the window if you're the only person with a team

mnk

Nov 11, 2017

Eh, the noble Pokemon and their wardens are extremely similar in concept to Sun/Moon's totems and trial captains. The only difference is Legends isn't framing it as a competition/challenge. It's still probably gonna be the same in terms of story progression, though.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Why would they do Grass/Fighting twice? Like, why not use another type?

They did the same thing in Gen 7 with Grass/Ghost, one of which being regular Decidueye lmao

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Why would they do Grass/Fighting twice? Like, why not use another type?

They did the same thing in Gen 7 with Grass/Ghost, one of which being regular Decidueye lmao
Well, the reason would be that they have a concept that requires those types. They don't usually start from a type combination and then design the Pokémon from there

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
I know, but reusing the same type combo twice in the same new game just feels excessive

They seem to come up with these typings in a vacuum when they could be aiming for more variety within the new batch of Pokemon. It's weird
I agree, there's still unused type combinations left to do...it surprises me we still haven't gotten a Fire/Fairy,Ground/Fairy or Ground/Fighting

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
I'm still so bummed Rolycoly didn't end up as a speedy Fire/Rock. At least Hisuian Arcanine should be fairly fast. Hopefully. Maybe.

Anyway I'm also still curious if these statues from the Kleavor reveal are supposed to be something new, especially since they don't correspond with anything from the leaks.

They look like new forms for Mudkip/Swampert or maybe Wooper/Quagsire to me. Closest thing from the leaks is the Goomy line, but ehhhh, I don't think so.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
I'm still so bummed Rolycoly didn't end up as a speedy Fire/Rock. At least Hisuian Arcanine should be fairly fast. Hopefully. Maybe.

Anyway I'm also still curious if these statues from the Kleavor reveal are supposed to be something new, especially since they don't correspond with anything from the leaks.

They look like new forms for Mudkip/Swampert or maybe Wooper/Quagsire to me. Closest thing from the leaks is the Goomy line, but ehhhh, I don't think so.

Maybe generic Pokemon or maaayyyyybe it's a hint towards Generation 9 ;)

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness

Base the gyms on the local area and its pokemon. Have them rate/test you on more than just battling. Turn them into reseaech centres.

PLA seems to be setting up the foundations for this, thankfully, but whether it sticks or not, well...

Status
Not open for further replies.