• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What would you like to see the most in the upcoming direct?

• New Pokémon

Votes: 186 30.6%
  • Legendary Pokémon

Votes: 58 9.5%
  • Info on new mechanics

Votes: 244 40.1%
  • I just want to know if there's free camera movement

Votes: 120 19.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I was going through the lead-up to Diamond and Pearl on Serebii's archive the other day.

I was very surprised to see that the Gen IV starters were only revealed about a month and a half before launch. Surely unimaginable nowadays for the most marketable Pokémon of the lot to be kept under wraps for so long.

The following Gen IV Pokémon were revealed before Turtwig, Chimchar and Piplup:
Munchlax
Lucario
Bonsly
Mime Jr.
Weavile
Manaphy
Buizel
Chatot
Mantyke
Dialga
Palkia
Cherrim
Pachirisu
Drapion
Electivire
Roserade

By contrast, the Gen V starters were the second batch to be revealed (behind Zorua and Zoroark), whereas the Gen VI, VII and VIII starters were all the first to be revealed from their generations (give or take us seeing Pikipek's wireframe in the Sun and Moon reveal).

Last edited:

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I was going through the lead-up to Diamond and Pearl on Serebii's archive the other day.

I was very surprised to see that the Gen IV starters were only revealed about a month and a half before launch. Surely unimaginable nowadays for the most marketable Pokémon of the lot to be kept under wraps for so long.

The following Gen IV Pokémon were revealed before Turtwig, Chimchar and Piplup:
Munchlax
Lucario
Bonsly
Mime Jr.
Weavile
Manaphy
Buizel
Chatot
Mantyke
Dialga
Palkia
Cherrim
Pachirisu
Drapion
Electivire
Roserade

By contrast, the Gen V starters were the second batch to be revealed (behind Zorua and Zoroark), whereas the Gen VI, VII and VIII starters were all the first to be revealed from their generations (give or take us seeing Pikipek's wireframe in the Sun and Moon reveal).
It was the same with Gen 3. We didn't see the starters until I found this image on the official Pokémon site's server (inaccessible but findable)
advance.gif

This was found on July 16th 2002 alongside some other images of the starters. They were then not properly revealed until September 2002. We actually had Blaziken officially revealed before them

That image and then the reveal of Blaziken is what actually helped push Serebii up to the big time :)

N75

self-requested temp ban
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of "third versions", I don't really mind it if there's enough content. Though preferably it would also be DLC like Torna for XB2.

USUM has more new content than people give it credit for but I still don't think it's substantial as Platinum or BW2. I know latter is a sequel but I'm going off new content and it still used BW as a foundation.

People want to know why games like HGSS and BW2 had so much content. It's pretty simple. They were based on an existing foundation and were given more time. I assume both Platinum and HGSS started development around the same time (after DP), which would have been 2 and 3 years, respectively (obviously with a smaller team). BW2 was almost 2 years after BW.

ORAS did have around a 2 year development, but they started on it like a year before XY was released. I can only assume this was because GF and TPC wanted a new game every year for the generation, but we know that didn't work out. They managed to do it for Gen 7.

Based on tweet from Go Ichinose, USUM was only in development for around a year, which isn't surprising if you factor in LGPE and SS.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Speaking of "third versions", I don't really mind it if there's enough content. Though preferably it would also be DLC like Torna for XB2.

USUM has more new content than people give it credit for but I still don't think it's substantial as Platinum or BW2. I know latter is a sequel but I'm going off new content and it still used BW as a foundation.

People want to know why games like HGSS and BW2 had so much content. It's pretty simple. They were based on an existing foundation and were given more time. I assume both Platinum and HGSS started development around the same time (after DP), which would have been 2 and 3 years, respectively (obviously with a smaller team). BW2 was almost 2 years after BW.

ORAS did have around a 2 year development, but they started on it like a year before XY was released. I can only assume this was because GF and TPC wanted a new game every year for the generation, but we know that didn't work out. They managed to do it for Gen 7.

Based on tweet from Go Ichinose, USUM was only in development for around a year, which isn't surprising if you factor in LGPE and SS.
I'd say USUM had far more new content than Platinum, about on par with B2W2 which only beats it out because it's a new story set 2 years after with the Memory Link feature.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think saying that USUM had as much new content as BW2 is lunatic, to be frank, and I think Platinum just about edges it too.

It's nice to have a bit more writing and side quests to go at, and I did enjoy the Rainbow Rocket stuff, but I think the Battle Frontier is a more meaningful addition than anything USUM introduced, without even talking about the large amounts of new areas, characters and content that BW2 brought to the table.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
The thing is, while Platinum didn't add that many new things, it redid and refined a ton. The whole game received a visual makeover, many areas were redesigned, all the Pokémon in the Dex got new sprites, the story got better.

Charlie0108

Oct 29, 2017
The thing is, while Platinum didn't add that many new things, it redid and refined a ton. The whole game received a visual makeover, many areas were redesigned, all the Pokémon in the Dex got new sprites, the story got better.
I feel like the trainer rosters gig shuffled up more in Platinum than they did in USUM as well.

gardfish

Oct 25, 2017
God, US/UM was such wasted potential. I still enjoyed it well enough since I liked S/M as a base, and the new totem fights were some of Pokemon's best boss encounters to date, but just about every exciting new feature was such a letdown in the end. I still can't believe that they actually advertised Ultra Megalopolis in a trailer and even gave it some cool key art; I was ready for a new explorable city, not a hallway with 2 NPCs. Then there's stuff like the Ultra Recon Squad literally only using Poipole in every single encounter except the first, coupled with the increased story involvement of the Ultra Beasts that some trailers implied which then only ended up being more detailed cutscenes. Imagine the URS actually using a team of Ultra Beasts in a few encounters, it would've made them a pretty interesting and challenging battle instead of literally the biggest joke of a team in Pokemon history. And of course, the exciting new story ended up being less interesting than the one told in vanilla S/M. It's also frustrating to me that in the first Pokemon game with new Pokemon added mid-generation in history doesn't let you use any of them until the game's practically over; I get that Stakataka and Blacephalon might be a bit overpowered for normal play, but Poipole's not that strong and can't evolve until you reach the Elite Four anyway; what would've been the harm in giving you one a bit earlier?

The Rainbow Rocket episode was genuinely cool and exceeded my expectations, though, I'll give them that.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
The best part about USUM was the removal of shiny locks for most legends.

The story itself is brutal though. A paint by numbers railroad "adventure."

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I think saying that USUM had as much new content as BW2 is lunatic, to be frank, and I think Platinum just about edges it too.

It's nice to have a bit more writing and side quests to go at, and I did enjoy the Rainbow Rocket stuff, but I think the Battle Frontier is a more meaningful addition than anything USUM introduced, without even talking about the large amounts of new areas, characters and content that BW2 brought to the table.

Exactly.

USM might have equally as much new stuff as BW2 in term of numbers, but the new stuff in BW2 was more meaningful.

On top of that I heavily dislike that some of the new stuff in USM came at the cost of losing one of the most memorable scenes in the series.

That just sucks.

ffdgh

Oct 25, 2017
The Mushroom Kingdom
I miss the neat version exclusive area changes like gen 5 had for various places to fit the truths vs ideas theme like route 4, Mistralton, Opelucid, Black Tower/White Tree, and Reversal Mountain.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So catching up on the show and...

Shaymin is hanging out with the group? That seems a bit odd so close to a new Generation, but I can't imagine it getting anything new.

Seems Ryuki is gonna appear soon and if the stuff about him being Galarian is true I wonder if he'll introduce it to Ash.

Charlie0108

Oct 29, 2017
With online is it much of a issue?
Nah, if you go on the GTS and deposit a version exclusive and ask for its counterpart you'll almost certainly get one within a few minutes. The only real exception this that i can remember is that it was really hard to get people to trade Celesteela for Kartana due to one being much better than the other competitively.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
Ah, GTS. I have fond memories of scouring the GTS in Gen V to get new hidden abilities whenever the Dream World updated. And then in Gen VI when Poke Bank was only out in Japan, I remember using Bonsly to acquire all the past legendaries. I would first ask for the Muskedeers, as many people would have two copies of them from BW and BW2, then use those to trade up over and over again. Then in Gen VII, it was fairly easy to get Pheramosas from people putting up their extra copies for whatever random things they needed as Dex filler, and then you could use those to get other UBs/Legendaries. Wasn't much reason for that, other than it can be fun to just turn regular junk 'mons into rare legendaries.

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone heard if a strategy guide is being made? How long did it take for Let's Go, Sun and Moon, and Ultra Sun and Moon's guides to pop up? Luckily TPC seems to make them alongside Penguin Random House themselves, rather than Prima Games, so there is hope.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
US/UM having new Pokemon puts it above every expanded version except BW2 for me. I don't care that much about the Battle Frontier, I have many more memories of it pissing me off than happy ones lol

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
US/UM having new Pokemon puts it above every expanded version except BW2 for me. I don't care that much about the Battle Frontier, I have many more memories of it pissing me off than happy ones lol
I actually never got the strange affection people have for Battle Frontier, most of the facilities were either RNG fests or general pains in the ass. I think the only facility I have super fond memories of is Battle Factory. I much prefer post game story stuff to BF.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
Anyone heard if a strategy guide is being made? How long did it take for Let's Go, Sun and Moon, and Ultra Sun and Moon's guides to pop up? Luckily TPC seems to make them alongside Penguin Random House themselves, rather than Prima Games, so there is hope.

They're usually announced closer to the release date, like a few months before.

What I hate is that they usually come out at least a couple of weeks after the games. So most people already finished the game by then.

I buy them not because I actually use them as a strategy guide, since the most useful info is actually on the Internet, but I really like to see the artwork of the Pokémon on paper, and they most of the times do a great job with the design of the charts and info and stuff. In the past they used to make lots of mistakes though, with the names of the Pokémon or attacks or they would put incorrect sprites or discolored pages, but recently the guides have been great (for what they are).

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana

Platinum had more Pokémon than Diamond and Pearl too.

My thing with US/UM, is not so much against them, but that it actually made S/M look so unfinished. Because they were. I feel like US/UM is how S/M had to be done in the first place. Even though people say S/M had I don't know which super important cutscenes that US/UM removed/changed, it still felt incomplete to me. Like I'll never move on with how they left that Fairy trial situation or the Dragon trial without a captain.

Other third versions or B2/W2 ADDED content to the first pair, but US/UM came to finish what S/M couldn't, and that's just sad.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd like some variety in these games and Battle Frontier kinda does that. It's silly that a franchise that touts the lifestyle of being with pokemon barely does anything with that beyond battling. And when they do, it's gone so soon anyway

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
These last four pokemon games (The 3DS era), has always felt somewhat "incomplete" one way or another. Even US/UM, you can tell the story changes were clearly rushed.

N75

self-requested temp ban
Oct 25, 2017
"We need that Cosmog to access Ultra Space so we can restrain Necrozma!"

Later on...

"Sorry for what happened to Cosmog. Anyway, here's this Solgaleo/Lunala we've had this whole time. Go and find Necrozma with it."

I'm not sure if this was an oversight or if certain elements from the Necrozma plot were just scrapped.

Wonderrade

The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Also want to echo the sentiments of USUM being disappointing to me

I'd like some variety in these games and Battle Frontier kinda does that. It's silly that a franchise that touts the lifestyle of being with pokemon barely does anything with that beyond battling. And when they do, it's gone so soon anyway

100% agree, im not gonna pretend that the battle frontier (and such variants) are some paragons of battling or anything like that, but at least its something

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
On the topic of 3rd versions, I think Torna like mini expansions are gonna be more likely going forward instead of the old method, dlc only or as a rerelease of the main version as a complete edition for latecomers. This allows for break years with no new games and can let them have longer generations that line up more closely to each hardwares release.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pokemon with a season pass and a "third version" that's just a collected edition is the best of both worlds I think. But GF hasn't expressed interest in downloadable content, free or otherwise

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Pokemon with a season pass and a "third version" that's just a collected edition is the best of both worlds I think. But GF hasn't expressed interest in downloadable content, free or otherwise
Unfortunately so. I'm not really into DLC myself, however I also feel 3rd versions like USUM are pointless in this day and age as well, so its sort of conflicting to support anything than a full package from the start. However on the other hand, a season pass style DLC package indeed is a future for Pokemon that has potential. For hypotheses sake, take something like Kalos:
-Instead of the bad pacing and high level league, the games stort peaks at lvl50.
-DLC side stories within a new area of the region come out over 3 years for the event Pokemon.
-Within Year 1 this new Area, South Kalos opens up for a new post league story.
-Year 2 sees the battle Frontier open within this new area for free.
-Year 3 sees a complete release platinum style game, alongside a giant Zygarde Cell Hunt story, including the return of Lysandre and Team Flare.

For Gen 8 they can do something similar:
-Year One post league Ireland.
-Year Two Battle Frontier or PWT
-Year Three 3rd Legendary story and more stuff.

If they really wanna go wild, they could create a new Pro level gym quest in Ireland with level 60+ gyms and a level 80 league.

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
I know a lot of people really don't like USUM, but I think it was pretty good if only for the fact that it was the hardest pokemon game in years, probably one of the hardest overall. The bosses were also really fun and the Rainbow Rocket post game and UB stuff was fun too. Plus there are a bunch of great sidequests that are hard to miss, I believe they added over 50 sidequests, like the one where dittos may have started replacing people or the Hypno that may have committed a crime, etc. I do think that they made the main story worse and ruined Lusamine, Lillie, and Gladion's characters (more Lusamine than the latter two), but I do think people give it too much flak.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
So Masuda posted a picture of a Pidgey

It has 529 Candy

5/29 reveal!!

Note: I am being completely facetious