• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What would you like to see the most in the upcoming direct?

• New Pokémon

Votes: 186 30.6%
  • Legendary Pokémon

Votes: 58 9.5%
  • Info on new mechanics

Votes: 244 40.1%
  • I just want to know if there's free camera movement

Votes: 120 19.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
I really feel like Game Freak must have the sense to know Let's Go Shinx & Buizel is not what Gen IV fans want.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
#SobbleSquad
#GrookeyGang
#BunnyBrigade

It's starting up again after the Direct for sure. I used to be with Grookey but as you can tell from my avatar I woke up to the obvious fact Sobble is best boy

ABitAshamed

Feb 10, 2019
It's likely. My vote goes to Let's go Sinnoh though, instead of a conventional remake.
I would be so disappointed, let's go seems like a wasted opportunity to focus on animations, world building, technic in general... I mean there was 'only' the first generation and only kanto, so less work than the late games like the 3ds ones, it was the occasion to give a bigger scale to the game dont you think?

OP
OP
Xavi

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
I would be so disappointed, let's go seems like a wasted opportunity to focus on animations, world building, technic in general... I mean there was 'only' the first generation and only kanto, so less work than the late games like the 3ds ones, it was the occasion to give a bigger scale to the game dont you think?
I'm disappointed that Kanto was a 1:1 remake for sure but I also think they did a good job at bridging casual/Go players with the traditional games. We'll see once SwSh are out.

N75

self-requested temp ban
Oct 25, 2017
They're going to pad out the generation with something. The only real options are Sinnoh remakes, Let's Go Johto, or Sword/Shield DX.

I think that we're going back to 4 year generations, with a break next year.

Can't wait to be wrong.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
We have a 100% chance of Gen 4 remakes on Switch. Also 100% chance it will happen during Gen 8.
I wouldn't say 100% on either. They could change things up or do another Let's Go game this gen. As for on Switch in general we also need to see if HD development causes a longer gap between games or not.
It's definitely a VERY high chance that we get Gen 4 remakes in Gen 8 or on Switch at the very least, but since we are just guessing here I definitely wouldn't say 100% to either of those.
They're going to pad out the generation with something. The only real options are Sinnoh remakes, Let's Go Johto, or Sword/Shield DX.

Can't wait to be wrong.
Due to HD development I wouldn't be surprised if we go back to 4 year gens. Hopefully the number of Pokemon this gen doesn't feel too small for that time, or maybe they can expand on what they did with USUM and include new Pokemon in every game and not just Legendaries/Mythicals.
Also anything can happen, they could do a new kind of game different from the 3 you listed. Game Freak likes to surprise so I wouldn't count out the possibility of a different kind of game in a gen than those 3.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't say 100% on either. They could change things up or do another Let's Go game this gen. As for on Switch in general we also need to see if HD development causes a longer gap between games or not.
It's definitely a VERY high chance that we get Gen 4 remakes in Gen 8 or on Switch at the very least, but since we are just guessing here I definitely wouldn't say 100% to either of those.

Nah, HD won't change too much. They already proved they could develop Town, Quest, Let's Go and SWSH simultaneously. Unless they decide to do an enhanced version of Galar first (or DLC), the next Pokémon game will be about Sinnoh.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather have fewer Game Freak games and more spin offs. the more time for each game, the better

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, HD won't change too much. They already proved they could develop Town, Quest, Let's Go and SWSH simultaneously. Unless they decide to do an enhanced version of Galar first (or DLC), the next Pokémon game will be about Sinnoh.
Don't be so sure. Town is a small project and it isn't out yet so we don't know just how big it is, quest was small and Let's Go was a barebones and none of these games are very technically impressive. SwSh and the following games will be how we can really tell how well they acclimate to HD development. Like someone else mentioned earlier I'm afraid they'll go the Let's Go route for Sinnoh because it would be a lot easier.
On top of that with Game Freak going against expectations so much in recent years I don't think it's safe to say that they will 100% do something. It's very, very likely it happens, but there is definitely a possibility that it doesn't happen in Gen 8 or even on Switch.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
GF has multiple teams and can reuse assets, so I doubt there will be any changes in their schedule.

Don't be so sure. Town is a small project and it isn't out yet so we don't know just how big it is, quest was small and Let's Go was a barebones and none of these games are very technically impressive. SwSh and the following games will be how we can really tell how well they acclimate to HD development. Like someone else mentioned earlier I'm afraid they'll go the Let's Go route for Sinnoh because it would be a lot easier.
On top of that with Game Freak going against expectations so much in recent years I don't think it's safe to say that they will 100% do something. It's very, very likely it happens, but there is definitely a possibility that it doesn't happen in Gen 8 or even on Switch.
I don't really see how it would be a lot easier when they can use Sword and Shield as a base for something more traditional.

N75

self-requested temp ban
Oct 25, 2017
If Town is anything like HarmoKnight, it will be a 5-10 hour game at most.

Scanning through the credits, Quest was heavily outsourced and was worked on by very few people anyway.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really see how it would be a lot easier when they can use Sword and Shield as a base for something more traditional.
what's going to take time is when they change the architectural direction and level design. if they start to open up the world, then the time needed to make the games is only going to grow with it

Rockets

Sep 12, 2018
I'd love that, but I kind of expect (gut feeling, no proof) that the Let's Go format will be the Switch versions of the remakes.
Nah there's no way they'd do a Let's Go Sinnoh. They know hardcore fans don't like the let's go games which is why they took time at the reveal of LGPE last year to assure fans that a traditional Pokémon game would arrive in 2019. I suspect that if we do get Let's Go games it'll be for gens that have already had remakes, so basically Gens 1 - 3.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017

Can't wait to be wrong.
Lets Go Johto please.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah there's no way they'd do a Let's Go Sinnoh. They know hardcore fans don't like the let's go games which is why they took time at the reveal of LGPE last year to assure fans that a traditional Pokémon game would arrive in 2019. I suspect that if we do get Let's Go games it'll be for gens that have already had remakes, so basically Gens 1 - 3.
sales of the LG games show that the split between "hardcore" fans and everyone else is nonexistant

Rockets

Sep 12, 2018
I wouldn't say that, but I would say we have like a 90% chance of Gen 4 remakes on Switch.
I'd say next year is our best chance honestly. They're behind as it is. Remakes for Pokémon games are typically released after 10 years. FRLG and HGSS both came out after 10 years of their original games. ORAS was off by 2 years and DPPT remakes should've been out in 2017, so we're due for remakes.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
It's probably fake, like most "leaks", but a lot of work clearly went into it.

I really like the Teamsters aspect of the new Gyms, and I feel it's totally something Game Freaks would do.
Yeah the Teamsters is a pretty great idea, I love the idea of each of them having unique abilities so you can choose great combinations of Teamsters and Pokemon adding more strategy

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
My prediction:
2020 DPP Traditional Remakes
2021 Maybe Let's Go Gen 2? Depends what they wanna do with third versions now
2022 Gen 9

So... I've never played any Pokemon games. I bought Let's Go, Pikachu and played the first 4 or 5 hours. I found it super simple and boring, so I didn't continue playing. Is there a chance I would enjoy these games more? I know people were complaining about the design/setup of the Let's Go games, but I just don't know enough about the Pokemon games to understand the complaints.
I played and loved every single mainline game. I couldn't even find the Demo of Let's Go tolerable, so yeah you really might enjoy Sword and Shield.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I hope Let's Go 2 is more ambitious with Johto.

We already have Kanto on Switch and I feel the sequel will be on Switch so I'd honestly say remove Kanto and focus on Johto.

Like give Johto it's own Pokemon League at Mt. Silver. Will, Karen, promote Brock to the E4 finally, and then Valerie since she's from Johto.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I hope Let's Go 2 is more ambitious with Johto.

We already have Kanto on Switch and I feel the sequel will be on Switch so I'd honestly say remove Kanto and focus on Johto.

Like give Johto it's own Pokemon League at Mt. Silver. Will, Karen, promote Brock to the E4 finally, and then Valerie since she's from Johto.
Hahahahahahaha.
They would never remove Kanto. They're more likely to remove Johto.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The appeal of Let's Go is Kanto for nostalgia. I hope they don't make another, HGSS is already peak Johto. And other gen fans would react badly to a "remake" like that.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
I'm suddenly hit with a feeling of grief upon realizing that when they eventually get around to Gen V remakes, the best games BW2 will probably be mostly ignored and will never get their own remake.

The best I can probably hope for is that BW2 locations will make it in as post-game, with PWT and Join Avenue also included. What I expect is a "The PWT project has begun" sign.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
As much as want gen 4 remakes, I think it's Lets Go Johto is next. Cause they already have a lot assets done, the LGPE team probably moved onto Johto right after LGPE launched.

2018 - Lets Go Pikachu/Eevee
2019 - Pokemon Sword/Shield
2020 - Lets Go Johto
2021 - pokemon sword/shield deluxe
2022 - Break
2023 - New gen 9
2024 - Diamond/Pearl remkaes.

I also think Galarian forms will be exclusive to gen 1 and 2, unfortunately.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
there is a dark part of my mind that feels like we're never getting Sinnoh remakes

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dumb question but
How likely is a remake of Gen 4 on switch?
I mean a conventionnal remake, not a 'let's go like'

It's not a dumb question but the truth is we don't know. I suspect that Game Freak is aware that the gen 4 fans are nostalgic for the Sinnoh region and are hankering for a remake and while there is the Let's Go line, it will be a long while till it finally gets to Let's Go Sinnoh as they would have to Johto, then Hoenn.

I suspect that they will do both and do Let's Go Sinnoh later down the line when the fan base that played Sinnoh as a kid have all grown up and had kids of their owns.

I'm disappointed that Kanto was a 1:1 remake for sure but I also think they did a good job at bridging casual/Go players with the traditional games. We'll see once SwSh are out.

I disagree as I feel that Let's Go did a bad job in teaching players the core basic skill and they are going to have a very rough time going from let's go to the core series.

They should had Snorlax and the legendary birds battle play out like a traditional wild Pokémon battle, rather than a frankenstein mess off knocking out the Pokémon and then lobbing Pokéball at the Pokémon as they float about the screen.

Hahahahahahaha.
They would never remove Kanto. They're more likely to remove Johto.

Sad but true. They are way to blinded by their gen 1 nostalgia.

i hope lets go never gets a sequel

I dunno, I mean if Let's Go can absorb all the hand holding and focus more on teaching younger player the ropes then that will allow the core series flexibility in not having to hold the players hand. Though personally I would prefer the return of challenge mode.

But one of the biggest thing that Let's Go sequel needs to address is the forced motion controls, it's ablest by gate keeping disable players from enjoying the game.

there is a dark part of my mind that feels like we're never getting Sinnoh remakes

I would be so pissed off if that was the case.

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
As much as want gen 4 remakes, I think it's Lets Go Johto is next. Cause they already have a lot assets done, the LGPE team probably moved onto Johto right after LGPE launched.

2018 - Lets Go Pikachu/Eevee
2019 - Pokemon Sword/Shield
2020 - Lets Go Johto
2021 - pokemon sword/shield deluxe
2022 - Break
2023 - New gen 9
2024 - Diamond/Pearl remkaes.

I also think Galarian forms will be exclusive to gen 1 and 2, unfortunately.
A break? 2 new gens before a remake? No way is that happening.

Theorymon

Oct 25, 2017
The competitive Pokemon nerd in me wants more Let's Go games, if only to see what the hell springs up from the small competitive formats they foster. For example, I don't think anyone expected Poliwrath to be one of the best Water-types in Let's Go, or for Pokemon like Alolan Sandslash and Mega Pinsir to actually find a niche!

JazzmanZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking forward to Let's Go Piplup/Let's Go Bidoof and the butcher the battle frontier beyond recognition

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Why do people think we would get Let's Go Sinnoh games? It doesn't really make all that much sense.