• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Aug 13, 2019
I can't think of other games with a single save slot per game from a developer that forced motion controls on docked mode.
Well, obviously not. That's absurdly specific and couldn't possibly apply many developers, if any, aside from Game Freak. I did just remember that there are games that combine manual and auto-saves, though. Souls and Souls-likes. Dark Souls, Bloodborne, and Hollow Knight do allow manual saves, at Bonfires, Lanterns, and Benches, but will overwrite those saves upon death or significant story beats. So I guess it is possible for Game Freak to do something similar, but I doubt that'll happen.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Most RPGs nowadays have auto saves and an optional to manually save as well manually loading those saves. So I think such will be the case with this game.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017

Eslayer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
what the fuck was the tweet? why did no one answer this?

ED5_MyIXsAABaOp.png

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Auto-save should be mandatory. Really push the "your pokemon are uniquely yours" idea. Then add a way to train IVs that's net faster than save scumming/breeding and everyone is happy.

Except the shiny legendary hunters. Oh well. Makes them actually special.

IzzyRX

Powered by Friendship™
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Even if they're doing this to attack mass breeding, with Ditto in, there's not much to be done.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Manual saves are confirmed to be in the game too.

Hopefully they do the sane thing and have them be two separate slots.

Mashy

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly the soft reset meta for good IVs ends up making me stress out and quit. I'm totally cool with that just being gone.

Of course hacked mons will make the whole thing moot though :/

If you're stressed about soft resetting for good IVs then maybe you shouldn't worry about it.

Anyways, auto-saving is bad and I hope it can be switched off. Knowing GF lately though, there will probs be no choice and it will be implemented without foresight.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Auto-save should be mandatory. Really push the "your pokemon are uniquely yours" idea. Then add a way to train IVs that's net faster than save scumming/breeding and everyone is happy.

autosave wouldn't hurt shiny hunters or breeders except for maybe gift Pokemon and even then it would depend on how it's implemented.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018

They are actually special. I would never spend hours resetting my game, if someone does that they deserve a shiny lol

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I actually kind of hate this if it's forced. Pokémon was fine with manual saves.

lord_of_flood

One Winged Slayer
Jan 1, 2018
So long as it's either optional or saved to its own slot, I wouldn't be overly worried about it, but if it's neither of those things, that would be very, very bad.

Delio

Oct 25, 2017
But we know there is a manual save button as well. So what's the point of both?

OP
OP
Atheerios

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
This really doesn't prove auto save, when you manual save, after that you will see "now saving..." and the game stutter for a moment then you see "save complete"
Thats not how manual saving works in Pokémon. You can't move while saving and must be in the menu.

Check the video in OP.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018

no, that would be stupid. You always have the option to NOT reset if you want it that way. Let others have it their way.

You arent taking in to account natures, abilities, gender, theres no way to change that.

Last edited:

teacup

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think it should be mandatory. Find a way to lock Pokémon into skill rather than who can sync the most time into resetting for stats or shinys.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If it's mandatory (I doubt it), RIP legendaries. Back to the old days where I KO'd all the legendaries and only caught the final legendary with a master ball.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
This is a user friendly change for everyone but the 1% of the fanbase who deal with IVs and stuff.

Oct 25, 2017
I like that change. About legendaries and such: I've never thought that allowing one time encounters was a good thing. There should always be a way to find them again. Depending on the player to get it first try, or to save reset is not good design.

teacup

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You think that one or two people in the world having Pokemon that are straight up better than everyone else's is skillful?

What I'm meaning is that they should remove all this IV / EV / Nature stuff (or have a way to train around it) so it's not a ridiculous game of save scumming / resetting to get the 'perfect' pokemon.

Imagine if in Street Fighter you kept having to level up or reset your game just to get a Ryu as strong as the others. It's ridiculous.

It's also not even good gameplay. Hell it's not gameplay at all. I mean if you catch a pikachu and then in game you could train all of it's stats/nature to be as optimal as possible later... then I don't mind. Or if you could somehow influence the breeding to get the result you want- also good. But resetting the game is NOT gameplay. And even if it was it sure as hell is not fun. So why defend it?

Shinies I care less about as they are just vanity / cosmetic things so whatever.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Not really it's not like autosaves are going to overwrite your own saves you will just load your manual saves like always.

I know Gamefreak is a meme at this point but literally no developer would do that, if it came up to that point they just wouldn't include auto saving, not like it's confirmed anyway, but it's not going to overwrite manual data.

Xenoblade 2s autosaves do exactly this. Bravely default (and presumably seconds) do this as well. Those are just the two rpgs I've played most recently other than fire emblem, I'm sure there are other examples.

Autosaves overwriting your single save slot isn't exactly a unique thing or unheard of in games on Nintendo systems.

There's basically no chance gamefreak let you have separate autosave and manual saves on Pokémon. They already disabled cloud saves to stop the boogieman of easily cloning pokemon. Multiple save files won't be happening following the same logic.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
If this is the case, there *needs* to be an option to toggle it on and off, while still retaining manual saves. If not, then there needs to be multiple save slots; which, I know is a tall order for a Pokemon game.

InkyVulture

Oct 26, 2017
I guess Masuda is finally getting his wish of adding more rng in bredding. He has been on the record stating that he hates how much people are obsess with getting 6iv pokemon, thinking them as tools instead of friends. Even thought of removing Ditto from the game as a possible solution.

How much influence does Masuda have on Sword and Shield? This is the generation that will say that "hey your Pokémon partner that you caught and battled with is not special and you need a new one if you want to give it a fancy gigantic form" which is like doubling down on seeing Pokémon as just tools from my pov.