• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
So we're at the point where we're pretending it isn't annoying that only the first 151 Pokemon get special treatment again? I can understand not caring about it, but none of like my top 10 Pokemon come from that gen so I'm a little disappointed personally that none of my favorites are getting any attention at all compared to Charizard's third form. But, y'know, it's popular so it can't be bad.

Xenoboy

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
The worst thing about this is that no one seems to acknowledge that other gens actually had very popular pokemon. The only other one I have seen get premium treatment outside of gen 1 is Lucario and even then all it amounted to was a Mega.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
So you're okay with what's going on?

Well it started with X and Y big time, making the forest exactly like the one from Kanto instead of a brand new one, and the spotlight on Kanto starters etc..

Next is in Sun and Moon, Only Kanto Pokemon had Alolan forms.. that a big f u to all the other regions.

Then we had the most unnecessary remake ever that was Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee, more Kanto yes, and now the leaks showing we are getting even more Kanto Galarians forms.

I mean i love Kanto but when GameFreak said we treat all pokemons equally that's a big bullshit.

There is also the Pokemon Company side where they are making movies based on Kanto.
Pikachu, Charizard, Meowth and Eevee are the Pokémon at the forefront of marketing for Pokémon. They are the mascots. They will be getting love every time and that's fine. I get it. Kids love those 4.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I mean on Earth there are way more than 150 creatures that are more common across the world than others. Think of the original 150 as just really common widespread animals.

Even in the real world humans drag animals from where they are naturally from and put them in zoos or introduce them into another ecosystem damn the consequences.

Pokemon is literally a world about capturing pokemon, and exploring the globe with your friends.

Also your argument does not justify why apparently only gen 1 pokemon for the most part seem to have evolved differently thanks to the effects of the alola/galar region or why only they seem to get the magic ability for unique z-moves or gigantamax. Nor does it explain why all the gen 1 pokemon in lets go lost the ability to evolve into their gen 2/4 forms.

You can't apply real world logic to pokemon since it's a game first. People can fly around the world on their pokemon but apparently most people are so segregated that even the various pokemon professors don't trade notes on pokemon discovered in their region until a new game comes out :P

gardfish

Oct 25, 2017
People keep bringing up X/Y as part of the problem, but honestly, an X/Y-like distribution wouldn't be so bad at all. A plurality of Megas were from Gen I, but there was still a decent distribution across the other generations (besides Gen V, but I think that's because at the time they had just had three years in the spotlight). Like, I don't think people would mind so much if it wasn't Gen I Pokemon getting these forms now to the near-absolute exclusion of everything else.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
My theory is that Obstagoon was made in a vacuum then attached to Zigzagoon line after the fact, it's why Zigzagoon and linoone are essentially recolors.
Uh, it didn't seem like a natural progression to me for it to go biped, so this makes sense.

Edit: Wait, I always thought they were going to reuse Megas as Gigantamax forms. Guess I was wrong and we are back to square one with Pokémon like Sableye or Medicham :T

Serenitynow

Oct 25, 2017
Gigantamax Charizard is going to be the final obstacle in beating Leon and becoming League Champion, isn't it?

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get the point of these. Some of them have no creativity put into them and are just different just to favor some Pokemon it seems like

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
The sooner you realize Game Freak will continue Gen I pandering until the end of time, the sooner you can start complaining about the lack of Gigantimax Venusaur.

BradenAndEggs

Jan 8, 2018
Even in the real world humans drag animals from where they are naturally from and put them in zoos or introduce them into another ecosystem damn the consequences.

Pokemon is literally a world about capturing pokemon, and exploring the globe with your friends.

Also your argument does not justify why apparently only gen 1 pokemon for the most part seem to have evolved differently thanks to the effects of the alola/galar region or why only they seem to get the magic ability for unique z-moves or gigantamax. Nor does it explain why all the gen 1 pokemon in lets go lost the ability to evolve into their gen 2/4 forms.

You can't apply real world logic to pokemon since it's a game first. People can fly around the world on their pokemon but apparently most people are so segregated that even the various pokemon professors don't trade notes on pokemon discovered in their region until a new game comes out :P

So if the world is about capturing pokemon and exploring the globe and the original 150 are more common wouldn't that be a good reason why they are in more locations....?

If Gen 1 are more common that means there is more opportunity for them to evolve differently in the Alola and the Galar region and be experimented with and exposed to z-crystals and mega stones because there are literally MORE OF THEM than any other species from other generations.

I usually don't try to apply real world logic to pokemon but the post I was replying to said more generation 1 pokemon was "breaking their immersion" so I spitballed a solution to help their "immersion."

P.S. I love your avatar. When are we getting a Battle Network Legacy collection? I've waited so long.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
i hope i can ignore dynamaxing/gigantamaxing for as much as i can but i'm not optimistic

SlumberingGiant

alt account
Banned
Jul 2, 2019
Pokémon reminds me of wrestling these days. You have to wheel out the old favourites to get a big pop. Is Charizard a racist?

SlumberingGiant

alt account
Banned
Jul 2, 2019
So if the world is about capturing pokemon and exploring the globe and the original 150 are more common wouldn't that be a good reason why they are in more locations....?

If Gen 1 are more common that means there is more opportunity for them to evolve differently in the Alola and the Galar region and be experimented with and exposed to z-crystals and mega stones because there are literally MORE OF THEM than any other species from other generations.

I usually don't try to apply real world logic to pokemon but the post I was replying to said more generation 1 pokemon was "breaking their immersion" so I spitballed a solution to help their "immersion."

P.S. I love your avatar. When are we getting a Battle Network Legacy collection? I've waited so long.
You can logic it all you want, it's still boring and repetitive from a players perspective.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pikachu, Charizard, Meowth and Eevee are the Pokémon at the forefront of marketing for Pokémon. They are the mascots. They will be getting love every time and that's fine. I get it. Kids love those 4.
How about giving the love to other gens to?

Less people would complain if they didn't show their blatant bias but we're two months to release and only like what two pokemon we've seen get new forms/variants are from something besides Gen 1 or the current Gen?

But I guess we can't disappoint all those diehard Weezing and Farfetch'd fans. They must vastly outnumber the fans of ever other Gen I guess.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
People keep bringing up X/Y as part of the problem, but honestly, an X/Y-like distribution wouldn't be so bad at all. A plurality of Megas were from Gen I, but there was still a decent distribution across the other generations (besides Gen V, but I think that's because at the time they had just had three years in the spotlight). Like, I don't think people would mind so much if it wasn't Gen I Pokemon getting these forms now to the near-absolute exclusion of everything else.

Just for the sake of numbers and only counting the unique pokemon that got megas (so ignoring the fact mewtwo and charizard got two)

In x/y megas were broken down as follows

10/26 gen 1 (38%)
5/26 gen 2 (19%)
8/26 gen 3 (31%)
3/26 gen 4 (12%)

Then with the megas added in oras

13/46 gen 1 (28%) decrease of 10%
6/46 gen 2 (13%) decrease of 6%
20/46 gen 3 (44%) increase of 13%
5/46 gen 4 (11%) decrease of 1%
1/46 gen 5 (2%) increase of 2%
1/46 gen 6 (2%) increase of 2%

Not the worlds greatest distribution, but gen 1 feels like it got an appropriate amount of megas. If anything you probably should take 4-6 megas from gen 3 and give them to gens 5/6 and it'd be an ideal balance. Yes I understand the above doesn't include both forms of charizard or mewtwo (would slightly bump gen 1 up to 31% of all mega forms fwiw)

Heck if anything the fact a gen 3 pokemon got a galar form and a unique evolution shouldn't be surprising since if the mega % is anything to go off of it's the other classic generation most likely to get new forms.

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany

Fair, but then there was so much more, like:

Kanto starters being given to you for no reason
The region not even having their own trio of legendäres but instead falling back on using the legendary birds of all Pokémon again.
A random Mewtu in a cave (with 2! Mega evolutions)

Then there's lesser stuff that wouldn't be bad if those previously mentioned things didn't exist like the first forest having the same layout as the viridian forest or that Snorlax blocking the way.

Those last two in particular would have been pretty neat things by itself, but since the game was often hitting you in the face with Kanto stuff (which, granted, wasn't nearly as bad as seemingly every third NPC in S/M drooling over how great and amazing Kanto is), it lead to the situation that I feel like Kalos being by far the weakest Region out of all Pokémon games. Remove Lumiose City and the region has no defining traits anymore.

Hell, even Unova would still be the region of bridges if you were to remove its central city.

BradenAndEggs

Jan 8, 2018
You can logic it all you want, it's still boring and repetitive from a players perspective.

Sure for an older pokemon contrarian like you or me. It doesn't change the fact that Pikachu and Charizard are popular and that's why they keep getting attention. In our bubble we are tired of Gen 1 but not everyone else. For me it's not worth getting upset over when they are just variant forms.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see the point in complaining about Gen 1 pandering when we have Gen 5, which is peak perfection.

SlumberingGiant

alt account
Banned
Jul 2, 2019
Sure for an older pokemon contrarian like you or me. It doesn't change the fact that Pikachu and Charizard are popular and that's why they keep getting attention. In our bubble we are tired of Gen 1 but not everyone else. For me it's not worth getting upset over when they are just variant forms.
I'm not being contrarian, just having an honest reaction what I see.

ShinyKyurem

Jul 11, 2019
Ugh, just why? I understand that they're marketing mascots but they aren't even final evolutions, why not giving them to Persian, Raichu and the other eeveevolutions?

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT

But why would pokemon from the kanto region be more likely to migrate? In video game logic it makes sense because for awhile they were actually the only pokemon to exist. In internal world logic/lore Kanto is just another region that has a gym/league system where pokemon live. If you were born in Hoenn, Shinnoh, Unova, Kalos, Alola, or Galar (or any future regions) what about Kanto would appeal to you over any other region to continue your journey in after finishing the region you were born in? I get why people born in Johto may naturally go across the border to their Kanto neighbor :P

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
Is that fatchu? Hard to say from that angle.
Eevee and Meowth are awful.
Charizard will be the final boss lol.

Faiyaz

Nov 30, 2017
Bangladesh
Whatever is revealed today will determine how much doom and gloom discussion we will have to endure leading up to the game's release.

Gear up people :v

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
Are they going to give a Gigantamax form to every single Eeveelution or are people who like that form just going to be forced to keep it in its first stage? Who knows.

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
Hopefully Gigazard is Fire/Dragon. This way, when it sets up the sun with an attack, it will be the best of its two Megas.

(And then turns back into regular Charizard two turns later and gets KOed.)

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Still not a fan of absolute unit / chonker mode. And I was just getting around to liking mega forms.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
So we're at the point where we're pretending it isn't annoying that only the first 151 Pokemon get special treatment again? I can understand not caring about it, but none of like my top 10 Pokemon come from that gen so I'm a little disappointed personally that none of my favorites are getting any attention at all compared to Charizard's third form. But, y'know, it's popular so it can't be bad.
The worst thing about this is that no one seems to acknowledge that other gens actually had very popular pokemon. The only other one I have seen get premium treatment outside of gen 1 is Lucario and even then all it amounted to was a Mega.

Good on both of you. This gen 1 pandering shit deserves to be called out.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whatever is revealed today will determine how much doom and gloom discussion we will have to endure leading up to the game's release.

Gear up people :v

There's been less of that gloom in the past weeks though. It kinda stopped with the August trailer, and since then it's just the few same tryhards reminding you of their opinion at every occasion. But it's definitely not as terrible as in June/july

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Unova apparently has the most Pokemon from its dex confirmed to be in Sword and Shield. It's not really because of amy "Unova love" though, it's just because Unova has the biggest dex of any region.

This also, that's not "unova love" or whatever, it's them taking advantage of a big roster of Pokemon. That's a fallacy.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Gigantimax is pretty lame as far as new forms go, and Marginally Fluffier Eevee is lame even by those standards.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
This also, that's not "unova love" or whatever, it's them taking advantage of a big roster of Pokemon. That's a fallacy.
? Gen 1 is the second biggest roster and every time theres a lot of gen 1 pokemon its "pandering", not "taking advantage of a large roster"

You people get upset as a hobby

BradenAndEggs

Jan 8, 2018
I'm not being contrarian, just having an honest reaction what I see.

Okay. Older and more popular pokemon are still going to be more accessible for new players and many fans. They aren't just giving them new forms for no reason. You can think they are repetitive but many may not. Plus it's Charizard again yeah but this form has never been in a game before. Hard to be repetitive when it's a completely new design for Charizard.

But why would pokemon from the kanto region be more likely to migrate? In video game logic it makes sense because for awhile they were actually the only pokemon to exist. In internal world logic/lore Kanto is just another region that has a gym/league system where pokemon live. If you were born in Hoenn, Shinnoh, Unova, Kalos, Alola, or Galar (or any future regions) what about Kanto would appeal to you over any other region to continue your journey in after finishing the region you were born in? I get why people born in Johto may naturally go across the border to their Kanto neighbor :P

In this totally headcanon hypothetical scenario Kanto pokemon are just more plentiful. So there just has always been some Kanto species already in more regions. It's like there being more varieties of dogs/wolves. It has nothing to do with where trainers go next. Using this explanation Koffing wasn't just from Kanto. He's also native to Hoenn near the Volcano and always has been. Referring to him as a "Kanto Pokemon" wouldn't be completely accurate because he's native to several regions near pollution and volcanoes. Copy paste this to the other Kanto pokemon found through the pokemon world.

This is just an idea though if you need SOME sort of explanation to the obvious reasons why Game Freak likes to market the originl 150 more than others.

Also when using returning favorites for regions in the early years Kanto pokemon were some of the only options because they hadn't developed quite the back catalog of pokemon that they have now yet. That's why some Kanto pokemon appear in early regions like Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh.

Status
Not open for further replies.