• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 5, 2018
"Sham of a game"

Wow. Confirmation bias is a hell of a drug. It's almost like some of the best pokemon games have less than 400 pokemon to catch anyway.

I'm sure your list of "faults and issues" with gen 6 and 7 are totally """""objective""""" too. There weren't a large amount of fans of those games at all right? Sword and Shield have to be terrible because there aren't hundreds of more pokemon that you've already used or will return later right?

Nothing of what you say actually disproves Joe and these leaks don't prove you right. In fact for many it makes the games even better.

Lmao that was when ALL of the pokemon existed at the time of those "less than 400" numbers. And even then you could transfer all of your pokemon in games like B/W.

My god guys, you can be fans of the game, but acknowledge the fact that cutting 600 pokemon is a shitty tactic by GF. It IS. A shitty tactic.

Anyway, we still have more Gigantamax forms to find.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
bad take imo, even in Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, the post game was the best part of the game. In BW2 the amount of post game content is the reason why it's considered the best game
The problem is that post-game is something that is decided arbitrarily from the Pokemon League. If it's part of the story, it shouldn't be considered post-game, it's just a matter of semantics and it's absurd.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Opinion: The concept of postgame should die in Pokémon. All optional content should be in the middle of the game, most people once complete the story of an RPG have no interest in continuing to play.

This is actually the realest opinion. There should be a priority for making the campaign meaty like most rpgs. Im usually kind of done by the end, but hopefully the multiplayer is easier to get into like it sounded.

Omegamon

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It is an actual tournament or you just have to backtrack to every gym and battle the gym leaders again with an upgraded team?

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
Lmao that was when ALL of the pokemon existed at the time of those "less than 400" numbers.

My god guys, you can be fans of the game, but acknowlede the fact that cutting 600 pokemon is a shitty tactic by GF.
This is where I'm at

im not like outraged at the amount cut, but I only Expected about 1/3 to get cut so I'm kinda disappointed that it's more Than half

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
Postgame is a strange concept anyway.
Fact is most people stop playing once they hit credits(if they hit it at all).
Hiding stuff behind that when it could be in the middle of the game, where more people could actually see it makes no sense.
I remember playing Platinum, clearing the league and stopping. Took me like half a decade until i found out there was a whole big part of the region hidden away.

bad take imo, even in Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, the post game was the best part of the game. In BW2 the amount of post game content is the reason why it's considered the best game
But why hide it behind "completion" ?
Nothing stops it from being part of the story or maingame, where more people would see it.

GeeseHoward

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Postgame is a strange concept anyway.
Fact is most people stop playing once they hit credits(if they hit it at all).
Hiding stuff behind that when it could be in the middle of the game, where more people could actually see it makes no sense.
I remember playing Platinum, clearing the league and stopping. Took me like half a decade until i found out there was a whole big part of the region hidden away.

Nothing stops it from being part of the story or maingame, where more people would see it.

The real answer is have both.

Gen5 did this brilliantly where you actually unlocked the battle facility early on with the battle subway, then gave you a lot more to chew on. B2W2 even moreso. Even Gen 7 somewhat did this with the Battle Royale thing

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
It's not arbitrary, the post-game starts when the credits roll
It is arbitrary that credits appear when the story is not completed. Once the credits have appeared you expect it to be over or at most there is a small part later, as in a Marvel movie.

Spending so much time and effort on something after the credits when you could put it before seems absurd.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
Damn my first impressions on this game were sort of accurate. Disappointing

People kept saying believe in gen 8, wait to gen 8 ahahaha. Games have gone downwards since x and y

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing. But there'd still need to be a harder version of battle facilities for people who have beaten the game. Thus there's really no escaping the concept of a post game for Pokemon.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It is arbitrary that credits appear when the story is not completed. Once the credits have appeared you expect it to be over or at most there is a small part later, as in a Marvel movie.

Spending so much time and effort on something after the credits when you could put it before seems absurd.
The world does not stop existing once you become champion. It's not absurd at all.

Oct 26, 2017
Opinion: The concept of postgame should die in Pokémon. All optional content should be in the middle of the game, most people once complete the story of an RPG have no interest in continuing to play.

This is a clown take if I've ever seen one here. The point of post-game isn't to worry about the semantics of where x content is placed on the y axis labelled "story." The whole point is that there's something that gets you back into playing the game. That fact that you can't grasp that is strange given that it seems like you assume games just end when the credits roll.

Also, where is this "most people"? Sounds like you're pulling numbers out of your ass to justify that viewpoint without giving any validity. There's a reason why people have complained about post-game in the series ever since XY, you can't handwave that away as "most people would never play it anyway."

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
What word is there for endless complaining with no conceivable end result than whining? Honestly curious.

Trying to impose one specific opinion as the truth, silencing the others, not having a conversation while a monologue (because that's neat and convenient) while still displaying self-feeding anger that can't be stopped because all the involved people say the exact same things over and over, maybe also as a way to vent off for life's hardships (life can be very hard, I'm well aware of that).

And I say this as someone who is

- far from a Pokemon fan (only played Platinum and X/Y)
- likes a good chunk of new Pokemon designs
- is disappointed by the small dex and the seemingly meager post-game content
- agrees with several criticism of Game Freak's M.I. for the past few years and believes they should change it

Basically: several criticism against GF is legit, I don't think many people will deny it...just express it in a way that can be constructive (and that might be listened by Game Freak - it's hard, I know) and don't mob everyone who tries to find anything to be happy about in the game / dares to have fun with them. Otherwise, the consequence is that only the angry mobs will keep on posting online, while everyone else will get silenced / lose the will to post about it at all. And no, I don't think people who still enjoy Pokemon games deserve to be (indirectly) deplatformed like alt-right assholes.

EDIT: Also, I just realised that this post is incomplete: unfortunately, I've seen the same happen on the other side, i.e. people who state GF can do no wrong and try to silence any criticism. Maybe way less than the negative side, but it definitely happened and definitely will keep on happening. Of course, that's wrong as well: constructive criticism is healthy, never forget about it.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2618

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did the leaker say how long the game is? Like how is Galar as a region? Id hope it's better than Alola which was terrible.

cainhxrst

Nov 10, 2018
SO number wise, how many total new Pokémon did we end up with this gen?

Edit: looked at the op nvm

Last edited:

ferroseed168

Aug 8, 2018
How big of you to have a rant at someone who isn't even posting here.

Well, that's clearly not their goal here, so I'd make my peace with that if I were you.
Honestly it's only because it's leaks otherwise he'd be here and probably have 50% of the posts in this thread. Listen I'm a big fan of his. Serebii.net was a lifeline for any kid who grew up in the 00s playing Pokemon and I appreciate everything Joe has done for the online Pokemon community

But he really turned me off with his tone in the past Pokémon discussion threads. I think he unfairly dismissed many of the criticisms people had about the game and many of them have come true today

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Wow so even Bulbasaur and Squirtle didn't make the cut? That's fucked up. You can't separate siblings like that. They come as a set you damn homewreckers.

I mean I don't even hate Charizard, but I can't help but feel a bit resentful when I imagine it being in every future gen to show off the latest gimmick while the rest of the starters remain shoved in a closet at "home".

Nov 15, 2018
people have wanted an actual tournament for years now, now that we have one we wanted an elite four all along actually lol

You know they could have both right? I also wanted a regular pokemon league tournament like the anime, but that doesnt mean the Elite 4 and Champion shouldn't exist. There could have been both the gigantimax gyms and the Elite 4 for post game.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
This is a clown take if I've ever seen one here. The point of post-game isn't to worry about the semantics of where x content is placed on the y axis labelled "story." The whole point is that there's something that gets you back into playing the game. That fact that you can't grasp that is strange given that it seems like you assume games just end when the credits roll.

Also, where is this "most people"? Sounds like you're pulling numbers out of your ass to justify that viewpoint without giving any validity. There's a reason why people have complained about post-game in the series ever since XY, you can't handwave that away as "most people would never play it anyway."

I assume they're suggesting content that is locked behind post game could be removed, which I kind of agree with as well.
Sure, have some post game stuff, like how you had Elite 4 rematches, extra story content etc., but a lot of the stuff that makes up a Pokémon games post game has absolutely no reason to not be available during the main story.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The argument that most people don't do "X" has never made sense to me. If trophy/achievement percentages have taught me anything, it's that most people only play games for a few hours. That doesn't mean GF should start making Pokemon games 5 hours long or shorter.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
People discussing the elite 4 removal, how did you all feel about Sun and Moon using people we already fought as the members.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States

VPplaya

Nov 20, 2018
There really does seem to be a massive disparity in quality between new pokemon/art and gameplay. Also, the fact that leakers have said almost nothing about the story has me kinda worried.

Feb 5, 2018
I for one LOVE all the new designs and pokemon, but Im gonna have to sit on this one until I hear more about DLC/Gen 4 remakes/A better version of Gen 8. Nearly all of the pokemon I care about are not in the game, purely because Gamefreak wanted to do with less development (and it IS less development when you compare to what they already achieved with Gen 6).

No pokemon should have been cut, ever. Mega's from 40+ pokemon were quite useful and could be differentiated from Gigantamax (which will be cut by Gen 9/10 anyway).

I adore the presentation of this game, but they arent getting a day 1 sale from me, which is a first ever as a fan of the games.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Why not have both like most RPGs?

Sure, but the priority should be the main game. I might have actually enjoyed that story about Looker the girl and the espurr in XY if it were a side quest during the game and not postgame where im already way overleveled with a full team. Same with the Ultrabeast stuff in Sun and Moon where I just felt like I was doing something that was introduced a long while back but it took place after credits roll.

Status
Not open for further replies.