Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
So how lucky are you?

Myself, I've played every mainline Pokemon game to completion since red/blue, including the remakes.

I've found exactly one shiny Pokemon. A shiny Rattatta. Whoop de doo. I'm kind of amazed at just how rare these things are. (Either that or I'm just incredibly unlucky)

How have you fared?

Also, I really enjoyed this moment from Easy Allies where Brandon, who's still a Pokemon noob, found a Shiny and Kyle Bosman freaks out while Jones doesn't understand the significance.

Last edited:

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I never ever saw a wild non scripted shiny, and I played and completed the Pokédex at least once in all gens.
I even tried the chaining stuff on X/Y without luck.

Dec 2, 2017
Red gyarados of course. I'm sure I found a shiny in my original run of Pokemon gold between 2001 and 2005, but I can't remember what I found. Then a big load of nothing except event Pokemon until like last year, when I found 3 shinies in one run-through of soul silver.

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
My first was a shiny Magikarp in Emerald. I don't count the Gyarados in HG/SS. After that, I breed or shiny hunt, so I find a lot more.

GeeseHoward

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Shiny Magnemite in Gold, Zubat and Paras in FR, Gloom in XY Friend Safari and bred a ton in SM

MANUELF

Oct 25, 2017
You think shinys are rare? Try to get pokerus without trading

OT: my story is a golbat in Emerald, and many on Y

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Since Heart Gold / Soul Silver, I generally see one shiny per game.

I nerver shiny hunt at all, but in Pokemon X/Y, fishing for shinies was super easy. So in addition to the shiny Abomasnow I encountered, I fished for three shiny Pokemon including an Octillery and one other gold one.

Luke92

Jan 31, 2019
Got a shiny Toucannon in Sun which is pretty awesome. And some other shiny in Diamond that I honestly can't remember lol

UltimusXI

Oct 27, 2017
I've only played the original Red / Blue, Gold / Silver and Ruby / Sapphire games, completed the main story in all of those games, Gold multiple times. I didn't follow the games after those closely, but still a bit, yet I never even knew shineys were a thing until Pokémon Go. I don't think I ever caught one.

Tambini

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen one, in Pokemon Crystal. A shiny geodude I couldn't even catch because it was before the first town so no poke balls -.-

Vuapol

Oct 25, 2017
I've played just about every mainline game for 100+ hours minimum since Sapphire. Haven't encountered a single shiny in those sixteen years.

Did end up with Pokerus once though.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen a one or two and didn't bother because they looked awful. Got traded a shiny sylveon though which is cool.

zami

Oct 27, 2017
First Shiny saw was a wild Rosela in Diamond which got killed by a critical Strength from my HM slave Biberal. Then in the same game caught a shiny Krickatune and Wurmple on the same day which was some crazy luck. Caught a shiny Zubat in Platinum while searching for a Gible for my team. In X caught a shiny Marcargo and Hariyama in the friend safari. In Moon caught a Shiny Ditto while chaining one for breading. So overall pretty lucky although the selection of pokemon is interesting, nothing will beat catching my first two shinies in the same day.

Zlug

Oct 1, 2018
Except the Gyarados in Silver/Gold, I never got a shiney randomly in the wild.

It's only during Pokemon Sun and Moon that I began to Shiny hunt, I've got like 50 shineys.

Yukiko

Feb 21, 2019
Spain
Excluding Red Gyarados, I found a shiny Pidgey in Soul Silver when pokéballs weren't available yet and that's it. I've played pokémon for a total of around 1000 hours combined

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I NEVER encountered one in mainline Pokémon games, I played almost all of them.
I have at least 40 to 70 hours on each games (Blue, Gold, Sapphire, White, White 2, Y, Alpha Sapphire, Moon, only a few hours on Ultra Moon, Let's Go Pikachu), never saw one, but I don't really look for them.

The first one I got was in Pokémon GO but I don't count it either, and I did not even catch it myself, the PokéBall Plus did it for me. Since then I have 3 shinies in Go, but all of the 3 were catched by the PokéBall Plus.

_Gandour_

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Found that pokemon that looks like a spider with a cristal ball in the head. Accidentally killed it :(

Deadman

Oct 29, 2017
Been playing since blue and the first and only shiny I've ever had was in X - a shiny gasly.

Shiny mega gengar looks great. I wish it didn't have an sp. attack iv of 1.

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
I've found a couple of boxes worth of shinies over the years. Got a Regice way back in Ruby, then a Whiscash a few months later. Most of mine were hunted (ORAS made it trivial) but Regice, Whiscash and a couple of others were just chance encounters.

Nights

Oct 27, 2017
Shiny Amoongus in X/Y, Shiny Male Salandit =( in USUM, Shiny Blissey in USUM, Shiny Krookodile in USUM.

Those are all non-hunted for.

As for going out of my way to get them, I have a Shiny Celesteela, Shiny Gardevoir, Shiny Braviary, Shiny Dragalage, Shiny Milotic, Shiny Umbreon, and Shiny Gliscor.

Edit: I have a Shiny Golduck and Ninetails in Lets Go Eevee as well.

Nowadays getting shinies isn't too hard as long as you don't mind doing repetitive tasks. I usually just watch Youtube while doing so. So eh.

SJUG

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
United States
I have had 4 experiences with shinies. One time in LeafGreen, I remember finding a shiny male Nidoran outside of Pewter City, but I didn't have any pokeballs. Didn't know what a shiny was at the time since I was a kid.

On two separate save files in Platinum, I encountered a shiny Zubat in the lost tower, which I thought mean my game was bugged haha.

On the launch day of Black 2, I found a shiny Lillipup in the ranch.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Got a shiny Bidoof, Clawitzer, Wingull (nearly ran from this one as it was hard to spot it).

I also ran into a shiny Hoothoot but I didn't have any Pokéball so I couldn't catch it.

Oct 26, 2017
In my 20+ years of playing Pokemon I have seen exactly one wild shiny, and it was a Chinchou, which looks pretty much exactly the same as a regular one. So much so that I didn't actually notice it was shiny from the pallette. I wasn't paying attention when it appeared but decided to catch it on the suspicion that I may have heard an odd sound effect when the encounter started.

Deleted member 7883

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Been playing since blue and the first and only shiny I've ever had was in X - a shiny gasly.

Shiny mega gengar looks great. I wish it didn't have an sp. attack iv of 1.
Gamefreak ditching the Mega evolutions does a great disservice to the shinies of Gen 1/2. Shiny normal Gengar is just another shade of purple... but an all white Gengar? Honestly one of the coolest pokemon I've ever seen. Now my shiny Gengar is just off-purple.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
It's been almost a decade now, but my first ever non-Gyarados shiny was a Sentret in SoulSilver

... before you were given Pokeballs.

Since then, I've caught like 6 or 7? Most of them in SoulSilver since I put like 150hrs into that game.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Over a hundred hours in each gen and the only thing I've ever got is a Shiny Zubat in the sewers of Pokémon Black.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
I've never run into one in the wild unless you count that red Gyrados which is a 100% chance to find, right?

Altered

Oct 25, 2017
only encountered a shiny pidgey in leafgreen. Tossed a master ball, then reset because I wasn't impressed with the colors

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
The only shiny i ever got that's not been part of a story event or some other giveaway was a shiny Zubat. With shit IVs. So, my history's been bad. ^^

SheriffMcDuck

Oct 27, 2017
I've never seen a shiny that wasn't scripted, and it's not really that important to me. If I did find one, it would always be on my team though.

Link_enfant

One Winged Slayer
Jan 20, 2018
France
Thanks for making this thread!

I'm actually a dedicated shiny hunter since Gen II, even though I do it way less nowadays, I've spent a lot (and that means a lot) of time trying to find them, and I tend to do it a specific way compared to many hunters as I'm only interested by full odds shiny Pokémon.

I like most methods introduced since Gen IV as they are more or less interesting, but I just don't like the idea to improve the odds and some of them are especially ridiculous in that regard. Shiny Pokémon need to be rare to me or they lose their purpose, but of course I totally respect people who hunt with various (but still official) methods.

As of now, and not couting Pokémon Rumble (Wii) which isn't from the main series, I have found 54 full odds shiny Pokémon :)

As a reminder, full odds are 1/8192 from Gen I to Gen V, then doubled to 1/4096 since Gen VI. And yes, Gen I can generate shiny Pokémon but not from random encounters for odd reasons.

I'd be really pleased to talk about those in this thread as I'm still kind of fascinated by shiny Pokémon!

Mandelbrot

Sep 16, 2019
My first and only natural shiny was a shiny Bibarel I found in Platinum. Got plenty of them in Let's Go by abusing the chain mechanics.

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
My first shiny was a shiny Poliwhirl in Pokemon Y. I then received a Shiny Snivy on GTS.

In Pokemon let's Go, I almost immediately found a shiny Geodude. Later on I caught a shiny Rhydon.

Lebon30

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Outside scripted shinies (events, Gyarados, etc), I've only met a shiny Spinda once in X&Y when I was grinding for pokedex completion. I caught it of course.

EDIT: I never tried to chain for shinies. Never played Let's Go (not planning to) and not planning to play SwSh. But played all others mainline pkmn games.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
First shiny I saw outside of Red Gyarados was a Shiny Rhyhorn in Pokemon Silver on victory road. I thought my game was glitched (I didn't know at the time that Pokemon aside from Gyarados could be shiny), so I ran from it.

I later found a shiny Cascoon and Kriketune in Pokemon Diamond, a shiny Tentacool (affectionately nicknamed Murderfish) in SoulSilver, and a shiny Lillipup in Black 2.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Ignoring scripted ones I've only ever seen one and it was so long ago I can't even remember what it was besides it being in pokemon silver.

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
Shiny diglet in the diglet cave in pokemon blue on my GBC.

Of all the pokemon I encounter as shiny. I encountered the one with an escape skill dig.

I was not able to catch it. Is the catch rate worse if its shiny?

Jun 2, 2019
Forced a shiny unown encounter in Diamond by staying in Solaceon ruins for hours

After that got a Cryogonal in White, who became my icey bro

X was a shiny fest, got a shiny flabebe without realizing while breeding for a good nature and almost freed it, after that it was shiny galore even receiving some old gen reject via GTS

Got a shiny Alolan raticate in sun, and received some more rejects via GTS and even wonder trade

Also managed to get a shiny Chansey and a shiny Digglet on Let's go Eevee

Mashy

Oct 28, 2017
Ive bred about 50ish over the last 4 years on and off. Most memorable is getting 2 shiny Honedge in back to back eggs (one of them having perfect IVs).

Only ever seen 2 in the wild and I failed to catch both. I have reset for a few legendary shiny's, but its honestly a torrid time waste. At least with breeding you can trade for other bank balls and HA pokemon.

Deleted member 25140

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Accidentally gave myself a weird OCD where I can now only use shinys for my competitive team and now I'm too far in to ever turn back. With IVs and natures considered it's about as fun as you can imagine it is trying to get them and I'm sure 99% of players online just assume I hacked anyway but I kind of love it tbh