• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
2: 3 years later probably? Pokemon Colosseum: SHINY ENTEI! I'm not kidding, you can have shinies in that game! But there was one major step back: Once you purify the Crypto Pokémon, it's.. not shiny anymore. Pure devastation guys.
Oof! Just reading this hurts. They can be so hard to catch in that game too since they can KO themselves with Shadow Rush, or whatever that move was called.

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019
Prior to Let's Go, literally just a pink Dunsparce from White
In Let's Go Eevee: Geodude, Vulpix, Chansey

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Shiny Makuhita in Ruby
Shiny Trapinch in White
Shiny Petilil in White 2
Shiny Boldore in Sun

The Petilil made my blood run cold- I encountered it in Pinwheel Forest, when I had Cheren (I think?) following me around and taking part in Double Battles. I had to knock his Pokémon out quick before he went for the Petilil.

Chiramii

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
Not counting Gyarados from G/S/C

Pokémon Gold: Ho-oh
Pokémon Sapphire: Golbat
Pokémon White: Petilil > Lilligant

(Shiny Lilligant looks fantastic)

2549-Shiny-Lilligant.png

Oct 27, 2017
I've only caught 1 shiny Pokémon before. A shiny green Marrill in Pokémon Ruby. Luckily marrill and azumarill were tanks for me so I kept it around

Fusionfrenzy

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 2, 2019
I played a million hours of Pokemon up to gen 7 and have just one shiny: a Zigzagoon.

I have about 10 shinies in Let's Go thanks to the miracle of chaining

wvan13

Oct 25, 2017
Completed all the games, some multiple times over the years. I don't recall catching or even seeing a shiny.

Edit: Other than X/Y and Sun/Moon, as well as the Ultra versions. I only played a bit of those, but apparently those games made shiny Pokemon more common. I never got into Go for more than a few hours.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Natural shinies: Machop (Ruby), Nidorino (Firered), Staryu (White), Alolan Diglett (Sun)

Reset shiny: Regirock (Omega Ruby)

After that Regirock, I'm never fucking soft resetting for a shiny again.

LiquidDom

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I've only ever encountered a shiny Ursaring in the games. I didn't even know what shiny Pokemon were but noticed he was green and sparkled in the beginning so I made sure to catch him. Only one to this day.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
Never got one.
Only one time I saw one shiny (I think it was in Pokemon X) but fucked up and didnt catch him... :|
EDIT:
Wait a minute. I, of course, got the Red Gyarados. But that is unmissable pratically...

Bovine

Oct 29, 2017
Prior to the Pokemon X my shiny luck was terrible, just a shiny Persian in FireRed, with a shiny Pinsir fleeing in Ruby and a shiny Magnemite fleeing in HeartGold (stupid Safari Zone).
In Pokemon X I went ham with shinies for some reason, getting a shiny Scrafty, Cubone, Tailow, Octillery, Weepinbell, Bibarel, Poliwhirl, Marill, and Chansey (9 in one playthrough!). I also caught a shiny Bagon in Sun and a shiny Eevee in Lets Go Pikachu, which I got while chaining for a Ponyta, but decided to use Flareon instead.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I found one shiny Pidgey back in Pokemon Gold/Silver if I remember correctly.

Don't think me and my then friend caught it because we over-killed it by accident.

ChrisP8Three

Oct 26, 2017
Leeds
I got a Shiny Granbull in Silver when i got it for Christmas, since then i've bought every pokemon game and not had another outside of forced ones (Red Gyrados etc)

woopWOOP

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Played every gen and remake, sometimes two-three times. Found like two, both in Diamond.

A shiny Geodude that I tossed online to get a Glameow because the GTS fucking sucks and you can't get anything without giving up something way better.
Forgot what the other one was. Traded it with someone back on GAF, years later.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
My first ever shiny eligible Pokemon (my starting Cyndaquil back in Silver) was shiny. I didn't know for a couple weeks until I made it to the Gyarados. My brother caught a shiny Ditto in Gold and we spent months trying to breed new shinies with it, but they were always brimming with power and wouldn't breed.

I caught a shiny Psyduck in Diamond, which I was able to use to figure out my trainer seed and then game the RNG for egg shinies (though the method was tedious, time consuming, and error prone so I only hatched like two this way). I also hatched a "legit" Phanpy in Platinum.

I booted up by White cartridge a few years after release and the first wild encounter I had was a shiny Litwick.

I found a shiny Exeggcutor in Moon. I never decided if I should evolve him in Alola or elsewhere (does it make a difference?).

Playing through Silver on 3DS eShop, my first wild encounter was shiny Hoothoot.

Shinies are essentially free in Let's Go so who cares about that.

Starwing

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018
My first shiny was a Wailmer in Platinum. The only shinies I found since then was a Roselia and several Beldum using the PokeWalker Chain Method.

BlakeofT

Oct 30, 2017
My first random shiny was a Geodude on Leaf Green. I was watching TV at the time so I was only half paying attention. I defeated it and afterwards thought "why did they change the color of Geodude for this game?" Felt pretty silly when I realized what had happened.

Since then I've found a Snorunt and a Clefairy, both on Y version. Traded them both real quick on the GTS to complete my Pokedex.

Dreavus

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Jan 12, 2018
Never. My friend caught a shiny back in gold/silver era but it was a magikarp! Figures, right?

Piscus

Oct 27, 2017
I think I've caught three or four organically throughout my time with the series. I had a shiny Charmander emerge from an egg, which was awesome. I did, however, continue to soft reset in Y until I got a shiny Froakie. Took probably like 3000 resets, haha. Not sure if it was worth it (I didn't bother trying to get one at all in Moon), but I do look back fondly at my time with my shiny, black Greninja.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I've been incredibly lucky with shinies over the years. I've had five 'full odds' encounters with them, several at the updated Gen 6 half odds, and have intentionally bred/hunted for many more. Granted, I typically play each of these games for hundreds to thousands of hours.

My first (excluding the Red Gyarados) was a Golbat, which I found in the cave connecting Kanto and Johto in original Gold. It immediately became part of my team, and I was able to evolve him into Crobat while battling my way through Kanto, which was pretty cool! I remember being devastated when I realized I wouldn't be able to transfer him to Ruby. ;-;

golbat.png

I also found a shiny Tentacool while surfing in Silver. I wasn't a fan of Tentacool/Tentacruel back then, though (probably because they were so damn common), so didn't even bother evolving it.

tentacool.png

Jumping forward several years, and I hatch a shiny Scyther and Staryu while breeding for competitive ones in Diamond. Sadly, and I still regret this...but I ended up giving them away to my best friend. Maybe it was bitterness over losing Crobat, or that I was just super focused on the competitive side of things, but I had zero interest in shinies at that point. My friend actually lost his copy of Pearl not long afterwards too, so it was a complete waste.
scyther-f.png
staryu.png

A couple of years later, I ran into a Plusle in the National Park in HeartGold. I don't even like Plusle and it's an absolutely terrible shiny, but the unexpectedness of the encounter was really exciting. It made me interested in the idea of shinies again...
plusle.png

So I started looking into how to I could intentionally get them. I figured out how to do the Masuda Method, and began working on...
charmander.png

Charmander! He was my first Masuda method shiny, and I freaking adored it. Unfortunately, I was young, and figured that my awesome black Charizard should have an equally awesome name. I decided upon ARMAGEDDON. I still have him and cringe every time I see that name, lol. I went on to hatch a shiny Ekans and Electrike in the same way, giving them similarly awful nicknames: BASILISK and INAZUMA.
ekans.png
electrike.png

Moving on to Black version, I got the shiny charm and hatched a Totodile using the MM method. I ended up using him during my playthrough of White 2.
totodile.png

Gen 6 is when things really got out of control. The period of time between finishing the main game of Pokemon Y and Pokemon Bank releasing was so much fun. Nobody was able to transfer their old Pokemon into the game yet, so everybody who cared about competitive play was starting from scratch again. Online trading during this time was on FIRE. I would spend hours each night trading competitively bred Pokemon with people from the old place, reddit, Nuggetbridge and the Smogon forums.

Anyway, somebody asked me to breed them a female 5IV Charmander, but given the 12.5% chance of females this isn't always an easy task, especially considering you have to get one with the right IV spread, too. I accidentally hatched another shiny Charmander while doing this (granted I was using the MM), and it was perfect. PERFECT. 31/31/31/31/31/31. Timid, had all the egg moves you'd need. The odds of that must be insane. I used him in most of my online teams during Gen 6.

charmander.gif

I went on to hatch many more shinies in Y and Omega Ruby using the Masuda Method, eventually getting the shiny charm as well to increase my chances.

absol.gif
eevee.gif
vulpix.gif
froakie.gif
gligar.gif
shinx-f.gif
phanpy.gif
spinda.gif
zubat.gif
electrike.gif
sableye.gif
chespin.gif

Hatching eggs became something I'd do on autopilot while watching TV, so shinies became inevitable at this stage. It actually got to the point where I sometimes hatched multiple shinies of the same Pokemon so I could get one with the ability I wanted. Froakie for example took five attempts to get one with Protean...

I also found a Scatterbug in Santalune Forest well after beating the game.
scatterbug.gif

And in Omega Ruby I ran into a shiny Taillow on my first visit to Petalburg Woods, and obviously used it in my team for the rest of the game.

taillow.gif

Now we're getting into soft-resetting. I had this happen in Omega Ruby:

Didn't have a Master Ball on me, and underestimated how dangerous its' attacks having a combined 20 total PP could be. I put it to sleep repeatedly but it still ran out of moves so quickly, and started struggling itself to death. I started recording that video when I was down to my last attempt at catching it before it knocked itself out.

I learned my lesson from this, and went on to catch Raiou, Latias and Latios in the same way.

raikou.gif
latias.gif
latios.gif

I also caught a lot of shiny Pokemon in the Friend Safari, because the odds there (with the shiny charm) were something like 1/500.
corsola.gif
sawsbuck.gif
lillipup.gif
shuckle.gif
phantump.gif
sawk.gif
whirlipede.gif
druddigon.gif
farfetchd.gif
shuppet.gif
charmeleon.gif

And through chain fishing (which also increases your odds substantially), I have caught two Skrelp. Also got another Gligar in a horde.
skrelp.gif
gligar.gif

Last edited:

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
First shiny outside of red Gar was Donphan on mount silver, I think I killed it, thought my game was bugged out, assumed Gar was suppose to be the only one possible.

Kindekuma

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I remember at a young age seeing a shiny pokemon in the wild in my copy of Gold because of the little shiny animation thing it plays. But I didn't realize what it was and since it was a pokemon I already had, I ran. It haunts me to this day since I never had a shiny after that.

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I've played most mainline Pokémon games multiple times through and have encountered one natural wild shiny.
A Helioptile in my Spanish language playthrough of X.

Oct 25, 2017
The first one I ever saw was a shiny Pidgey in (iirc) Fire Red but I couldn't catch it.
My very first wild shiny catch wasn't until Let's Go Pikachu. It was a Caterpie.
In LGP I also did some hunting and ended up with shinies of Ponyta, Porygon and Kangaskhan.

Charlie0108

Oct 29, 2017
My record of random shinies is pretty good, although that's probably because I play the games so much. Wooper in Diamond was my first, then Numel in Emerald, Shellos in Platinum, Joltik in Black, Haunter in X, Shroomish in Alpha Sapphire, Gothorita in White 2, Jangmo-o in Moon and then finally Alolan Meowth in Ultra Moon. I also have 100+ others that I caught via chain fishing, Friend Safari, hordes, DexNAV, SOS, Ultra Wormhole and events (plus a random unintentional Masuda Smeargle).

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
I saw a shiny hoothoot back playing gold as a kid. I had no idea why it was discolored, so I killed it and moved on. Then I watched the anime and saw Ash catch the shiny noctowl and realized my mistake.

ffdgh

Oct 25, 2017
The Mushroom Kingdom
First shiny was a Madura Zoura in Black and my first wild one was a ducklett in black. Between Masuda breeding, dexnav, sos, soft resets and wild ones I have around....80ish?

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I loved farming for shinies back in Pokemon Diamond. Really liked having a blue Gallade, for instance. Before that I remember getting something other than the shiny Gyarados in Pokemon Silver but I honestly can't remember what.

Fanuilos

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Shiny Onix in Gold. Had no clue what it was and tried catching it but ran out of pokeballs.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The first shiny I ever encountered was a shiny wingull in BW1 at Undella Town. Pretty neat. I exp share'd and evolved it to a Pelipper just cause.

I've found a few in X and one or two Sun. That's...about it really!

Agent_J

Oct 30, 2017
Been playing the games since day 1. I've only ever encountered a shiny in Gen 3 during the catching tutorial. Couldn't even keep the shiny bastard

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ultra Sun was a shiny goldmine.

My first legitimate shiny I caught in the wild (not counting red Gyradose) was a Shiny Goldbat when I was training in the cave before Elite Four in Emerald.

After that all shinies have been things I worked for via encounter count methods.

Jack Frost

Oct 25, 2017
Found a shiny Ryhorn random encounter 10 years ago in Platinum. Still in the bank.

I once found a shiny Tangela but accidentally killed it with burn damage.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
Outside of scripted and one randomly encountered shiny Skarmory, I've spent hours and hours breeding my shiniest via the Masuda Method.

I have many. My favorite is my Eevee, who I've trained to lvl 100 unevolved.

rgibbo36

Oct 27, 2017
I ran into a shiny Girafarig once, I believe in Gold, but I accidentally landed a critical hit on it and defeated it.

In Let's Go, Pikachu!, I caught a shiny Golbat.

I also recall there being a method where you can get a shiny Ditto in Gen II by doing some sort of trading process with Gen I. It worked for me, and I bred that shiny Ditto to get a shiny Pichu and Marill.

Rabbit

Feb 24, 2018
The only shiny I caught in the wild was a shitty Pelipper in Sun and Moon. Other than that, I get all of my shiny pokemon from breeding. I think I got like 5 of each of shiny Froakies and Eevees.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
My first random shiny ever was a Tentacruel in Pokémon Gold... I didn't manage to catch it :(
More recently I found a completely random Clauncher while fishing in XY and a Pikachu in the Safari Zone in ORAS, first encounter too, I just wanted to catch a normal Pikachu and freaked out when I saw it.
Can't wait to shiny hunt in SWSH with overworld encounter for the first time
Also did a bunch of method hunts but they're not as special as full odds :P

Last edited:

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
In Silver, I caught a shiny I shaped Unown, as well as a shiny Magikarp.

After that, I didn't encounter another shiny until Sun, where I caught a shiny Hypno. Finally, in Let's Go Eevee, I ended up catching a shiny Vulpix.