Status
Not open for further replies.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
Is infuriating when people tell us to not complain when we couldn't complain about the 3DS games performance because future proofing models(which was true back then) and the lack of pokemons on Let's Go because "It isn't a mainline game. You will get your game next year".
In the end the high poly models were for nothing and our fears about Let's Go were legit.

There is no valid criticism about a Pokemon game, ever. Throughout the years, it's been either genwunning, dev hate, abuse, etc.

I feel like we're at a breaking point now though, cause even the fandom can't defend the Pokemon chop, since it directly affects the meta game.

Last edited:

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
I never liked the multiplayer in Pokemon due to all the grinding and mechanics that dont feel natural to the core mechanics but to me Pokemon is a singleplayer game and they have been the same for a long time mechanically.

Most of the competitive community plays on a fan-made simulator for exactly that reason

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's fine. If you want to pretend GameFreak is making all the Pokémon models from scratch, you can. It will get you a weird side-eye from lots of people though btw.

A developer is explaining to you of something and you dismiss it for not fitting your narrative enough. Yeah sure the other person deserves the side-eye more than you.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is no valid criticism about a Pokemon game, ever. Throughout the years, it's been either genwunning, dev hate, abuse, etc.

I feel like we're a breaking point now though, cause even the fandom can't defend the Pokemon chop, since it directly affects the meta game.

And where does attacking another member of the community for the crime of *checks notes* not hating the game enough fall under this? Is this also justified?

Favi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They didn't remade the models, it's pretty obvious from any comparison video. And if they did, it was a complete waste of money since no one can see any difference from the models in Sun & Moon.

I mean, GF themselves said back at X&Y they made the 3D models futureproof to use in their next games. I don't see why we are disputing this when there's zero evidence that anything changed since them.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017

I feel like we're a breaking point now though, cause even the fandom can't defend the Pokemon chop, since it directly affects the meta game.

The franchise machine is pretty large... almost larger than the main games themselves

Maybe it would be good of them to pump the breaks and focus on raising the quality bar before they get crushed under franchise momentum

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
The thing is that, if they made the models again then is still a waste of money and time because it wasn't needed so still a poor choice from GF

We don't know it. Maybe the "futureproofed" models weren't compatible with the engine, or they clash with the Dynamax mechanic like Raging Spaniard said. Or maybe they are the same models. I won't enter on that because we don't know what is going on with the development on the game and I feel like it's quite disrespectful to use the "lazy devs" rhetoric whenever GF is on a conversation.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

And some even defend the cut of pokemons.

You're right. The pokemon fandom has shielded GF (and will continue to do so) since years ago. This is not new at all.

Pokemon Let's go was untouchable, now this.

Oct 25, 2017
Who knows, maybe some models, maybe they retouched some, nobody here knows what happened.
Original quote said redoing all of them from scratch.
That's not retouching some, or just some. It's wrong
Theyre still redoing and reanimating every Pokemon from scratch with higher fidelity ... thats a shit ton of work. There are reasons other games dont do it

IzzyRX

Powered by Friendship™
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
NOPE!

Three Houses might not look impressive in terms of graphics or artstyle but it's definitely a step forward for the franchise in terms of story, mechanics and overall gameplay, the sheer amount of content it has is amazing.
Yep.
But I'll wait for Sword/Shield to come out before judging it...too harshly.

Suburban Thug

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Midwest
They didn't remade the models, it's pretty obvious from any comparison video. And if they did, it was a complete waste of money since no one can see any difference from the models in Sun & Moon.

I mean, GF themselves said back at X&Y they made the 3D models futureproof to use in their next games. I don't see why we are disputing this when there's zero evidence that anything changed since them.
Because some artist at EA who has nothing to do with Nintendo or the Pokemon franchise says so

EDIT: Whoever gave me an infraction point with "lazy dev rhetoric" as the excuse is tripping. That poster has no clue what's going on at Gamefreak considering they work for a competitor and I'll stand by that take.

Last edited:

Deleted member 9714

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A developer is explaining to you of something and you dismiss it for not fitting your narrative enough. Yeah sure the other person deserves the side-eye more than you.
A developer who has nothing to do with GameFreak or Pokémon in the slightest. See the following:
Original quote said redoing all of them from scratch.
That's not retouching some, or just some. It's wrong

And where does attacking another member of the community for the crime of *checks notes* not hating the game enough fall under this? Is this also justified?
You need to get over yourself. Joe is an adult. He can get over one woman not liking him.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017

Man people are clinging to the future proof models thing hard

Its like.... a topic about how the series should evolve its standards is irrelevant to what posters really care about

Who cares if they were "future proof"? Clearly that didnt pan out and even if they could use them easily... the design leads fucking chose not to

So thats that i guess

game-biz

Oct 25, 2017
On their next game. Game Freak needs to up the budget drastically and hire a lot more professionals who have experience developing open world games. Because what we have now looks like a giant turd relative to what other large companies are able to do on the Switch. Just looks sooo boring compared to other open world games....

Oct 25, 2017
WE dont know, there could have been a lot of issues, we dont know. Even retouching the models would mess with the animations, again we dont know.
Why would an EA dev being an EA dev grant them knowledge of trouble in Gamefreak's development pipeline?

I can buy that adding animations and tuning models is a lot of work, think the hate is excessive myself. Just think this point is a bit silly to grasp onto

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
I see the conversation in this thread has died down entirely and has devolved into petty schoolyard finger pointing

Deleted member 9714

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Deleted member 41502

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
You are giving the game industry a lot more organizational credit than it deserves, haha. The fact that these models can be made to gigantic screen filling sizes implies some reworking got done.

Regardless, all the new pokemon had to be made, which are a large amount. Re: legacy pokemon, If you think all they had to do was grab the Squirtle prefab from X and throw it into the new game on a new home console with a new engine with a new lighting and rendering system and expect it to work hunky dory thats just not a realistic scenario. I definitely believe you when it comes to games like Sun and Moon though. They do benefit from having access to all their previous work and Im sure things here and there get reused (library of high res textures etc) but the jump from portable to home console means everything gets a pass or a redo.

For instance, in our game we still have to make a ton of things from scratch. Youd think theres a lot of work available but for many reasons its not really usable so we have to start over.
Nah. I really refuse to believe they didn't, 10-15 years ago, sit down and have these models made. I'd be shocked if the models made for X, Y, Sun, and Moon weren't made and rigged at super high resolution originally and then decimated down for the games. I'd be shocked if they don't do the same for Pokemon Go if they're lacking 'em, which is what, 500+ (all gen 1-5?) at this point? That's literally how you make models. Make the high res version. Strip and simplify it down to something usable in the game engine. And Gamefreak has more than just the games to use 'em in, with TV shows, movies, merch, and tons of advertising to put out. They're not dumb. Its literally saving money to do it.

Like, if they didn't, they deserve the attacks now, because that's just awful mismanagement of their entire brand. Whoever said no to it should be out of a job.

But I get them not wanting to put them all in. Its probably a ton of QA and balancing issues for a feature that literally 0.01% of the userbase will ever care about. I just don't buy the "creating new models is too much work" argument.

Apa504

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why would an EA dev being an EA dev grant them knowledge of trouble in Gamefreak's development pipeline?

I can buy that adding animations and tuning models is a lot of work, think the hate is excessive myself. Just think this point is a bit silly to grasp onto

Because he knows what can happen during game development?
Because he knows that even the tiniest little dettail can mess the whole process?

Now tell me, why would a forum poster being a forum poster would know more about game dev than a game developer.

Soran

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man people are clinging to the future proof models thing hard

Its like.... a topic about how the series should evolve its standards is irrelevant to what posters really care about

Who cares if they were "future proof"? Clearly that didnt pan out and even if they could use them easily... the design leads fucking chose not to

So thats that i guess
It matter because it was the reason why the 3DS games run so poorly.
Like, is not even GF total fault. The 3DS system was underpowered and had a low resolution even back them(and I say this as someone who love the 3DS). GF was even bold to add things like horde battles and totems knowing how those make the framerate take a nosedive.

Deleted member 9714

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The only person that needs to get over themselves is you. Joe was upset with all the shit he was getting, you know that adults can get upset right?
Off-site drama about Joe being so upset about a community divide due to Pokémon culling that he considered deleting his fan site (he will never do it btw) isn't relevant to this conversation. That's the last thing I'm going to say about this.

Oct 25, 2017
Because he knows what can happen during game development?
Because he knows that even the tiniest little dettail can mess the whole process?

Now tell me, why would a forum poster being a forum poster would know more about game dev than a game developer.
Again, he's just guessing. Might be more informed but it's just a guess.

And on that point, I mentioned that if they *did* have to remake all the models for some dumb reason, making them look so basic when they'll have to do that again in a few years is still pretty poor management

Apa504

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you want to talk how e-celebrities poisoning conversation to defend their livelihood is harmful to fan communities, we can, but that's off-topic here. Pick a place and LMK, sweetie.

Oh so now you are questioning Joe's ethics because he has a Pokemon website. This is gamergate rethoric and it's disgusting.

I think the complaints brought up in this thread from people disappointed with the look of the game are legitimate. Have you seen the E3 treehouse video on youtube? Massive amount of dislikes and some in the comments are pretty articulate as to why they are annoyed.

You mean the complaints of people that though this game was gonna be the best Pokemon ever, just a week ago.

Apa504

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Again, he's just guessing. Might be more informed but it's just a guess.

And on that point, I mentioned that if they *did* have to remake all the models for some dumb reason, making them look so basic when they'll have to do that again in a few years is still pretty poor management

Again, you dont know that.

Leveean

Nov 9, 2017
As much as I think it's valid to give devs a good ribbing over asanine decisions, it aint worth the kind of hostility in this thread.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Yup... I'm seriously not getting the outrage about this game. I think the visuals look nice, they're obviously going for a simple art style and it looks good in motion.

This is by far the most hyped I have been for a new Pokemon gen.

No one actually cares that its not up to the standards of its contemporaries.

Well.. some do but they always have and those few are the ones you used to see get shouted out of older pokemon threads

But not now. Now those critics are needed!

Because Game Freak wants to burn down the old houses they built and the fans arent having it

So open the flood gates to any and all of the issues that have been pointed out! Voice acting, Trees, Animations, H D GRaphix!!!

And the lord of Frames per seconds

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
I think the complaints brought up in this thread from people disappointed with the look of the game are legitimate. Have you seen the E3 treehouse video on youtube? Massive amount of dislikes and some in the comments are pretty articulate as to why they are annoyed.
To be fair, the Treehouse video was an organized hate bombing thing. Every other E3 video for Pokemon has a much much higher like ratio. Internet hate campaigns attacking a single video doesn't really say much.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
At this point I'm pretty sure most of the Pokemon fandom would buy any shit with the Pokemon brand on it.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
Didn't GameFreak recently announce that they were expanding their scope to look at more Multiplatform releases?

It would have been nice to see them invest some more money into their Pokemon team to drive the games forward.

Vexed

Jul 23, 2018
These games will make a bunch of money anyways, but if they really were committed to expanding the brand they would slow roll development on the next main line entry. The release pattern they're going at doesn't really seem to allow for the large substantive changes between releases. Need like 3-4 years at least if you're going to really reimagine the thing for an HD console. I'm sure that as a company it would be hard to pull that off and justify the yearly numbers in the meantime, especially with what they'll still make on this release.

Status
Not open for further replies.