• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is there a need of separate remake series like let's go?

• Yes

Votes: 368 48.9%
  • No

Votes: 385 51.1%

• Total voters

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait are we supposed to be answering based on whether the game sold worse than other remakes? Or whether it failed to bring in new players? Or whether the formula could be applied to a Gen 4 game? Sorry I'm struggling to keep up.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
I loved Pokémon Let's Go Eevee (Pikachu is too mainstream). It's easily the most fun I've had with a Pokémon game since... probably Emerald.

On the other hand, Pokémon Sword/Shield is a "If I don't have anything else to play, then maybe." game for me. Random encounters are back, it's piling yet another layer of systems on top of things, though mercifully it is pruning others this time, and it just makes the game more complex than it needs to be.

But the sticking point that turns Sword/Shield from a must have to a maybe? It doesn't support the Poké Ball Plus. Playing Pokémon using an actual Poké Ball was the greatest, and now it's just being cast aside like the PokéWalkers before it. Had they announced that you could play using the Poké Ball, I'd already have it pre-ordered.

So what was Pokémon Let's Go's purpose for me? It showed that Pokémon can still be fun, even if the newer games have been weighed down by useless and depreciated features. The core game is still rock solid.

I'd be in for Let's Go Johto, and espeically Let's Go Hoenn. But if Sword and Shield is any indication, it'll be a while until I'm excited by a Pokémon game again.

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
Doesnt mean anything, but you'd be surprised to see the amount of parents at my job that bought the game for their kids, serving as an entry point to the series. I think it did reach a new audience, simply not the GO audience.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't have a problem with continuing the series, as long as it doesn't take away from actual remakes, like we should get of Sinnoh next year.
I'm fairly certain that Game Freak aren't going to turn down the chance to have three separate series which sell eight figures a go, contrary to what this thread may think.

I do think that next year will be a break year, though, and they could probably use it.
Random encounters are back
(They aren't, for what it's worth).

Last edited:

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is a terrible thread with a terrible premise. You aren't taking a holistic view of the situation at all.

1.) It was the first 60 USD dollar Pokemon game
2.) The Pokeball Plus bundle (100USD) had an insane attach rate for the game, which increased the ASRP.

It didn't fail in any way, shape, or form. Stop the nonsense.

Oct 26, 2017
There are several reasons why they would do that:
- Bringing new people to the franchise helps growing the target audience for the main games, which means more sales for them
- Not only that, but introducing more people to Pokémon in general makes it grow as an IP, which is reflected not only on game sales but on anything related to Pokémon, be it merchandising, movies, TCG etc.
- It was probably a pretty cheap game to make compared to mainline entries and even other remakes.
- Now that they're here, they could both continue with traditional remakes to bring back a more core audience and at the same time keep those who came thanks to LGPE and are here to stay.

The problem is basic remakes were already doing all of this to begin with, which makes the Let's Go series ultimately redundant in the grand scheme of things.

To your last point, having Mainline, Remake, Let's Go is asking for saturation and exhaustion to occur. Expecting people to stay is fool's gold imo, primarily because we've seen this before with the late 1990s' Pokemon hype and how sales cratered when kids wanted to move onto something else. The same thing will happen with people who were temporarily intrigued with Let's Go, only to then move onto something else.

Last edited:

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
If they didn't have the absurdly horrible and unnecessary control scheme I would have bought it. I didn't mind the other changes. In fact I'll probably also pass on SwSh but because it looks too samey.

Failed? How was that determined??

dreamlongdead

Nov 5, 2017
Let's Go performed incredibly well considering the circumstances of launching on $300 hardware that had been out for less than two years. Much better than it deserved, actually.

I highly doubt the Pokémon Company is sad about the sales.

Oct 30, 2017
just throwing my hat in the ring to say that i'm a dedicated pokemon go player who played let's go way more than any mainline game released in the past two decades and will also play the heck out of let's go marill/togepi.

(but also sword/shield)

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I mean...you can draw some pretty solid conclusions based on the sales numbers in the OP.

If Let's Go Pikachu & Eevee was selling to both the established fanbase (who had bought the previous remakes) AND also to converted Pokemon GO players, wouldn't the game have sold considerably more? But...it hasn't. It has sold in line with or less than previous remakes. And again, that's even with the Switch bump.

Again...I'm not arguing that LGPE failed. If it converts GO players and makes them pick up Sword and Shield, then job well done. I just don't think it makes much sense to continue as a separate series.

What if it didn't sell to established fans but new fans? It's not selling less then, but growing the pokemon base.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
This thread failed its objective. Is there any point in continuing the discussion?

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
There's both. Unseen Pokémon that show an exclamation point and Pokémon you can walk up to.

Pokémon Let's Go offered such a good base for rebuilding Pokémon as a series into something new, yet familiar. Sword and Shield... isn't that game.
Lmao at considering Let's Go something new but not SWSH. I just can't with people sometimes.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I answered no because while Let's Go appealed to a lot of people, Gamefreak's current yearly release model is clearly negatively impacting their output.

robjoh

Oct 31, 2017
Actually you prove my point. It won't reach ORAS and at best it will be at par. Unlike ORAS , let's go won't get a gap year. A company struggling to make one proper mainline game, is there a need of a separate remake series with stripped down features when it at best can sell at par with the standard remake series.

I have to be honest and confess that I don't understand the argument here. If you are correct and Let's go will stop selling it is because another game is launching that will sell much more than ORAS did during the gap year. How is that bad?

Further more as Let's go is more different than a regular remake to the main series how can you be certain that it will stop selling?

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
I saw it as a modest success in terms of filling an off year gap and somewhat capitalising on the nostalgia boom after Go but feel like the idea has fulfilled its purpose and doesn't need to turned into a series.

Zarckoh

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico
I'm not sure if failed but it absolutely destroys the point that gen I games on the current market are far more popular than later gens when it's selling on similar levels to ORAS.

Those RB numbers are unreachable and there is no reason for heavy gen I pandering when it can't even have an overwhelming effect in terms of sales.

youwei

Jun 3, 2019
For myself , there are a lot of emotional and good memories with Pokemon Yellow and the first 151 pokemon

And i dun play mobile games that much but when i heard that PokeGo was able to transfer the first 151 pokemon + Meltan to Nintendo Switch
It (Pokego) sorta' forced me to play and i liked it after a while

i casted the vote "No" as to me personally , Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu is the remake for Pokemon Yellow and my love for the original 151 pokemon

P.S Figures/Sales are only for investors , for me it doesn't prove the good sales doesn't mean the game is good for the gamer who purchased it

Feb 22, 2019
I don't think a new Let's Go will sell even close to LPGE (except maybe Johto) due to the people who hates anything that isn't Gen 1 won't buy it.

The same can be said for introducing them to the main series. Some people will obviously buy them, but the people mentioned above won't.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
In this thread OP gets very restrictive at the meaning of success, while also OP and other members pull "facts" out of their asses to establish what failure is.
We have no info, we can't say for sure, so what we can only talk about is sales, which OP simply wants to overlook.

Now, if we want to discuss the games, while I did enjoy Let's Go, it still had plenty of flaws that I hope to see addressed in a sequel:
  • Offer the option to use a regular controller on docked mode
  • No reason the handheld catching mechanic isn't there for docked mode play
  • Bring back wild Pokémon battles
  • Bring back held items and abilities (simplify it if you want, but bring them back)
  • Don't give the started pokémon perfect stats

Last edited:

Colocho

Oct 25, 2017
Yes I think the games didn't manage to catch a significant new audience, every Nintendo franchise is selling better than ever on Switch but Let's Go numbers are not that different from past remakes.
Gamefreak is probably going to continue with the series, games with even less pokemon and simpler graphics, guaranteed to sell 10 million at minimum, of course they will continue making them.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
its a second remake of the first game. also it sold gangbusters. discontinuing pokemon because of this sounds lol

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
I love how OP is comparing sales of a game that has been on shelves for less than a year with one that has been sold for 4 years+. What a ridiculous premise.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yes I think the games didn't manage to catch a significant new audience, every Nintendo franchise is selling better than ever on Switch but Let's Go numbers are not that different from past remakes.
If Let's Go were to sell much more than past remakes, you'd be looking at a 1 in 2 attach rate. None of those remakes were released to that small an audience.

Series which generally sell much less than Pokémon have been seeing record-breaking sales- there's much less room for Pokémon to grow than that.

Hogendaz85

Dec 6, 2017
All I have to do is read the first part of your edit...if it's NOT a sales failure then it surely will continue as it is doing what was intended by its creators and that is to generate profit.

Fans of stuff have a much different view on things and sometimes don't consider the business of it.

Yoshimitsu126

The Fallen
Nov 11, 2017
United States
Let's Go is probably going to receive another boost when Sword and Shield releases just like older Pokemon games do when the newer generation just released too.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Let's Go doesn't have much reason to exist since subsequent games might end up bringing back things that were cut like abilities and held items. after that, there's no point in having two remake series. either make he next LG game Gen 4-based or kill off the series. the idea that LG is more "casual" is bunk. it's the same pokemon game as we've been playing, just the catching is different and some things are out. the core experience hasn't changed

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
No company is too good for a game that sells the way Pokemon Let's Go did, especially for the amount of effort put into it.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
GTA VI selling 30M LTD will also turn out a huge profit, but coming off GTA V with 100M... you get the point, your logic is flawed
That doesn't seem to apply to this topic though. Let's Go was designed as a way to get Pokemon Go Players and lapsed fans. GTA VI would be the sequel to one of the biggest games in the world.

For the topic, the game did well in terms of units sold and it's doing it at a higher price point. It is hard to tell if it got any lapsed/Go players into it as I don't think there's any survey data available for that. Based on information we have access to it succeeded. Based on whether information we don't have, new players vs Pokemon diehards, it's a question mark. At worst it sold well to the base and at best it brought in several million new fans for the next mainline game.

The series can provide another route for the series. A pure remake of the games would be possible, but players have already played through faithful remakes of nearly half the series. The Let's Go formula is probably different enough to not lead to fatigue with a cycle of New > Traditional remake > Lets Go > New.

Dymaxion

Sep 19, 2018
If "Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee 2" featured a completely new region (same gameplay mechanics though), it might justify its existence. Otherwise, Johto in HD would be cool, but they really shouldn't remake Hoenn and beyond in my opinion.

Sieglinde

Feb 20, 2019
DK is just a port with an increase in price. It hasn't had its chance on Switch.
Even if somehow it gets a new game on Switch i doubt it'll be as succesful as DKC but anyway my point was that this expectation that every game released on Switch has to be the highest point of their fracnhise to be considered a succes is just ridiculous.

aLoneWalker

Attempted to create multiple alt accounts
Banned
Jul 16, 2019
I bought every Pokémon game ever except Let's go and a lot of people I know have the same mindset, they were useless and dumb. If they are gonna announce a Let's Go Johto/Hoenn/Whatever, I'm gonna skip it without a second thought.

And the sales are underwhelming.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
Based on whether information we don't have, new players vs Pokemon diehards, it's a question mark. At worst it sold well to the base and at best it brought in several million new fans for the next mainline game.

Right. If you go by the opinions of the people who hate the games, then the games are a huge success. If the hardcore really did shun them as we have been told endlessly since the announcement, that means they sold to millions of "new" buyers.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Even if somehow it gets a new game on Switch i doubt it'll be as succesful as DKC but anyway my point was that this expectation that every game released on Switch has to be the highest point of their fracnhise to be considered a succes is just ridiculous.
Yeah that's dumb. That doesn't even make sense.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
I bought every Pokémon game ever except Let's go and a lot of people I know have the same mindset, they were useless and dumb. If they are gonna announce a Let's Go Johto/Hoenn/Whatever, I'm gonna skip it without a second thought.

And the sales are underwhelming.
If the game did not appeal tot he hardcore players than that means many of the nearly 11 million buyers are new or casual players correct? it is currently in-line with the ORAS sales so that would mean the series picked up new players who would have skipped a regular remake or entry. That would be a success especially when combined with the higher price point.

Last edited:

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
That was one hell of a ride in the OP.

It didn't fail, and absolutely there's reason to continue making Let's Go style games. A Let's Go version of G/S would probably be my favorite Pokémon game ever.

Most studios would make a follow up to a game that sold 11 million units.