PadWarrior

Oct 25, 2017
So is this game an exact remake of yellow? Will the Pokémon you capture be in the same areas as yellow?

pokéfan

Oct 25, 2017
iirtWca.png

I never played Yellow. Isn't this Gary Oak?
If we get to name them, I'm naming him Gary.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
So is this game an exact remake of yellow? Will the Pokémon you capture be in the same areas as yellow?
No and no. Some Pokemon have been moved around, some are in places they've never been before, some are new to the wild when they never used to be available.

It follows all the story beats of Yellow, but it's still largely a newish game in an old world.

Jof

Nov 3, 2017
... so does this mean Let's GO are the Red/Blue/Yellow period in the Mega Evolution timeline?

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Wow! Let's Go actually did something good. I wonder what name she will have though, since Blue is Green in Japan.
I wonder how this fits with the timeline though... Red and Blue used to live in the same houses of the main characters in Pallet Town, and all 3 of them have the original designs instead of FRLG ones, akin to Maxie and Archie having original RSE designs in USUM as opposed to the newer ORAS designs.
This is gonna be interesting.
And Blue, she is Blue considering the blue lining on her tee and blue shorts, is something between new design, FRLG, and original Blue. If LGPE somehow manages some major timeline fuckery and deepest lore, I will be super impressed that Gamefreak is even trying at all.

Some interesting things:
-Giovanni has a cubone in his office. Mofo killed the mom and kept the kid.
-Saffron City Gym is now with the Gym Battle on the roof. Note the skyline in the background.
-Blaine's Gym was not shown despite everyone else's quick shots. Maybe they are placing it underground in the Volcano?
-Cerulean Cave is looking to be a propr dungeon, high hopes this means everyrhing else is.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh this trailer is probably the closest thing to making me get the game... I just have way too much to play currently. I'm really curious to see the sales performance of this though.

Jof

Nov 3, 2017
What even is the Pokémon timeline now?

Red/Blue = Ruby/Sapphire > Gold/Silver = Diamond/Pearl > Black/White > Black2/White2

MEGA TIMELINE
Let's Go = Alpha Ruby/Omega Sapphire > .... > X/Y > Sun/Moon = UltraSun/UltraMoon

with Fire Red, Leaf Green, Heart Gold and Soul Silver just being straight up remakes, set in the same timeline?

... is that... right?

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
... so does this mean Let's GO are the Red/Blue/Yellow period in the Mega Evolution timeline?
How woild that even make sense considering Red and Green are acknowledged as legendary trainers, meaning their journey happened properly in the past, which is not the case here? How would that egen work without Leaf existing in Alola alongside em? Wait a minute........
What if she is the International Police officer who was lost during the first Guzzlord encounter?

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
That'd be weird when Leaf refers to a character with a completely different design.

No?

This is Leaf:

Looks nothing like Green aside from the brown hair
I mean, sure, their designs are different, but so are Red's and Blue's across generations.
I was under the impression they were the same character because, despite the different designs, they're similar enough and both are meant to be the player character.

OP
OP
Synohan

Synohan

Oct 25, 2017
Not too sure where these games go in the 'Timeline'. FR/LG or technically Origins is the Mega Evolution timeline version of R/B/Y.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017

Red/Blue = Ruby/Sapphire > Gold/Silver = Diamond/Pearl > Black/White > Black2/White2

MEGA TIMELINE
Let's Go = Alpha Ruby/Omega Sapphire > .... > X/Y > Sun/Moon = UltraSun/UltraMoon

with Fire Red, Leaf Green, Heart Gold and Soul Silver just being straight up remakes, set in the same timeline?

... is that... right?

Watch this be another timeline. The pokemon lore/timeline is so stupid and I love it.

Isn't it like Zelda and the developers didn't care at all for a "timeline"?

In the grand scheme of things, it isn't really important, but they have established a full timeline and parallel universe as core parts of the story.

clay_ghost

Oct 25, 2017

MEGA TIMELINE

... is that... right?
IMO, we have three timelines now.

Red/Blue/Green/Yellow > Gold/Silver/Crystal
Fire Red/Leaf Green = Ruby/Sapphire > Heart Gold and Soul Silver = Diamond/Pearl > Black/White > Black2/White2 (Pokemon Rangers and the Orre games are also in this time line.)
Mega RBGY = Alpha Ruby/Omega Sapphire> Let's Go > Some version of other Pokemon games > X/Y > Sun/Moon = UltraSun/UltraMoon

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like trying to place Let's Go on a timeline without playing it yet seems silly.

Hampig

Oct 25, 2017
Do we know how co-op works in regards to pokemon teams? Does each player have their own team? Where do the pokemon go when caught?

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't it like Zelda and the developers didn't care at all for a "timeline"?
There actually was a pretty clear timeline that was stated by the developers and mentioned in the game.

RBY and RSE take place at the same time, just in different locations
GSC and DPP take place three years later, in different parts of the world

Then it gets messy with Black and White, which take place 8-10 years later. And BW2 take place two years after that. XY were supposed to be even AFTER that, but in ORAS they basically said that the mega evolution games take place in an alternate dimension. Sun and Moon is an unknown amount of time after XY and that game is all about wacky ass dimension hopping.

One of the cool things about Pokemon's story is that they were actually connected in at least some way. It wasn't like Zelda where games take place hundreds of years apart, characters often appear throughout multiple generations and past events are mentioned. But now it's just "I dunno, this game is after the last one who cares."

I mean there are potentially four different Reds. The original GB games Red, the Red from the remakes (though the remakes don't contradict anything from the original games), then Mega Evolution Red from Sun and Moon, and oossibly this Red.

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
Who cares about the E4 or Red/Blue? This is the Year of Leaf. Though that we'll probably have to stop calling her that once she finally gets a name.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The artwork ain't half bad, shame the game doesn't translate it well, game still looks bad with it's artstyle.

How'd we go from this:

giovannihbs0k.gif

To this?

XOSIeD4.gif

And that first one is on the 3DS!

I will be shocked if this game has an easier Elite 4 than Red and Blue. Unless they super nerf their levels and remove their pokemon, it can't be hard to beat movesets like this: https://www.serebii.net/rb/elitefour.shtml

And yellow wasn't that much better: https://www.serebii.net/yellow/elitefour.shtml

Would be interesting to fight Red and Blue/Green if I didn't just fight them in Sun and Moon/Ultra Sun and Moon. Hard to be impressed by these designs after seeing the aged up ones. Harder to be impressed by their battles as they will certainly be easier than their Sun/Moon counterparts just based on no abilities or held items in the game.

Leaf/Green/Blue(? Whatever her name is) is something I suppose. But not enough to change my opinion on skipping the game. Hopefully she'll have a good new theme for the soundtrack.

Final hope for this game is if they actually remember Sun and Moon's ending and have Lillie show up in Kanto (Or Gladion if we are doing Ultra Sun/Moon), but it's looking more and more likely they are just forgetting that happened.

PadWarrior

Oct 25, 2017
No and no. Some Pokemon have been moved around, some are in places they've never been before, some are new to the wild when they never used to be available.

It follows all the story beats of Yellow, but it's still largely a newish game in an old world.
Sweet. I'm hoping to get the three original starters early on.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
There actually was a pretty clear timeline that was stated by the developers and mentioned in the game.

RBY and RSE take place at the same time, just in different locations
GSC and DPP take place three years later, in different parts of the world

Then it gets messy with Black and White, which take place 8-10 years later. And BW2 take place two years after that. XY were supposed to be even AFTER that, but in ORAS they basically said that the mega evolution games take place in an alternate dimension. Sun and Moon is an unknown amount of time after XY and that game is all about wacky ass dimension hopping.

One of the cool things about Pokemon's story is that they were actually connected in at least some way. It wasn't like Zelda where games take place hundreds of years apart, characters often appear throughout multiple generations and past events are mentioned. But now it's just "I dunno, this game is after the last one who cares."

I mean there are potentially four different Reds. The original GB games Red, the Red from the remakes (though the remakes don't contradict anything from the original games), then Mega Evolution Red from Sun and Moon, and oossibly this Red.
What if this IS SM red. Someone pointed out Giovanni's model looking awfully tall and more proportionate to the Gen 7 models, and here are my thoughts:
What......What if it IS USUM Giovanni? What if the crazy motherfucker went back to post Gen 1 pre Gen 2 Megaverse and decided to try and take over Kanto straight away? What if Green and Red are already established as Champion and Gym Leader, and Leaf is the missing Interpol officer? What if Gamefreak actually made this a deeoest lore isekai mindfuck troll tier masterpiece? Give me all the timeline fuckery I can get Gamefreak, I need sustenance.

He did say he will be back soon at the end of Episode Rocket Rainbow, so what if he took the Ultra Portal back to when he was first defeated, which is still in the Megaverse? I mean its plausible, and if he has the power of UBs at his disposal, there is no saying what kinda havoc he can pull off considering that even 10 years before SM, sometime around post Gen 4 they were still in the dark about em.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
The artwork ain't half bad, shame the game doesn't translate it well, game still looks bad with it's artstyle.

How'd we go from this:

giovannihbs0k.gif

To this?

XOSIeD4.gif

And that first one is on the 3DS!

I will be shocked if this game has an easier Elite 4 than Red and Blue. Unless they super nerf their levels and remove their pokemon, it can't be hard to beat movesets like this: https://www.serebii.net/rb/elitefour.shtml

And yellow wasn't that much better: https://www.serebii.net/yellow/elitefour.shtml

Would be interesting to fight Red and Blue/Green if I didn't just fight them in Sun and Moon/Ultra Sun and Moon. Hard to be impressed by these designs after seeing the aged up ones. Harder to be impressed by their battles as they will certainly be easier than their Sun/Moon counterparts just based on no abilities or held items in the game.

Leaf/Green/Blue(? Whatever her name is) is something I suppose. But not enough to change my opinion on skipping the game. Hopefully she'll have a good new theme for the soundtrack.

Final hope for this game is if they actually remember Sun and Moon's ending and have Lillie show up in Kanto (Or Gladion if we are doing Ultra Sun/Moon), but it's looking more and more likely they are just forgetting that happened.
It's not really about forgetting about Lillie, no matter what timeline this game takes place in, the events of Sun and Moon are many many years in the future. Lillie may not even be born yet in Let's Go (she's in the same game as adult Red and Blue already)