Omnicore

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
If I can't use my Pro controller again I'm 100% out. I'd be okay with most additions from Let's Go but if it's forced motion controls to capture Pokémon again RIP.

flare

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like a pretty run of the mill Pokemon. 1 hour left, guess we'll see.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I could maybe buy that there's a localised area where roaming Pokémon can stupidly waddle like in Let's Go.

And raid battles could fit the soccer theme with grouping up with a bunch of friends to take down a Pokémon. Could work as a way to distribute rare Pokémon periodically.

Deleted member 1238

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If there are Pokémon on the field that would suck. It just made Let's Go feel more like a video game watching a bunch of Pokémon waddle around grass patches. It didn't feel right at all. The fact that people here were into that blows my mind. Pokémon benefits from random encounters. It genuinely adds something to the game.

If there are Pokémon on the field in sword and shield it better look less ridiculous than it did in let's go.

SuperSah

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Let me be extremely skeptic on the "open world routes" parts when all we've seen are straight lines from point A to point B in the region map, and all kind of fences and knee-high invisible walls funnelling the player to the next POI and fencing out any attempt at actual exploration. Everything so far screams "look at all the places that you can NOT go, please keep pushing the left stick forward and enjoy the ride"

Literally. Basically every Pokemon game.

It's pretty stale and unimpressive now.

Graven

Oct 30, 2018
Wierd that nowaydays im more excited to the new moves and changes to old pokemon than the new stuff in itself.

So many pokemon that need to be tuned, new moves, stats boost, new abilities.

Axe

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
At most were getting branching paths and maybe a really big and wide "open" route like the late-game ones from Sun and Moon. That's it.

Jan 9, 2018
If the catching mechanics are like the older games but with the visual monsters on the field, sign me up. Maybe have some "jump scare" encounters to go with it. But no random encounters has been one of my favourite JRPG trends over recent years (most recently DQ11) and I would love to see it continue here.
I still love random encounters, but I think having overworld encounters adds a lot of life to the game and that alone is exciting enough for me.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just thought about it, I hope the raid mechanic has no exclusive pokemon, because 10 years from now I doubt I'll find people to raid with if I'm replaying the game.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
So I'm guessing what this actually means is there are 'open field' type areas in the world which you can explore freely and which feature Pokemon in the field, while there will still be linear routes to some destinations - and linear routes and dungeons will feature the usual random encounters, judging by the debut trailer from February.

So it's not all open, non-linear routes - there are just a couple of large field areas. I'm not sure how that would affect progression, but if you can reach multiple destinations from one field area, Game Freak would just fence it off with some plot point or the need for a special move. It'd be interesting to have several possible cities to choose from at a time, with trainer/gym master levels scaling as a result, but I can't see that happening. Equally there might be some mechanic which makes return trips to the field areas worthwhile - changing weather conditions, different days of the week, different times of day, or even different seasons might see different types of Pokemon available in the field areas.
Called it. Neat.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
jyttD27.gif

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Well this all sounds extremely not true but we'll see.

Here's the thing. We saw one of the routes was very much linear. So? I feel like that instantly writes that off.

This seems like fake. We have already seen wild encounters in tall grass in Pokémon Sword and Shield (go back and watch the announcement trailer).

Edit: They could of course changed stuff since then I guess

That all sounds remarkably untrue, but we'll see.

Calling Ultra bullshit

"Guys Sword and Shield will be just like the other main games and not like LGPE"

"Oh wait actually no it's not lol got em"

This seems to go against the trailer already released. Doesn't look very credible.

Sounds fake and I hope it's fake. Enough with disappointments, just make a normal Pokémon game.

oof

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Thank fucking god the Let's Go part was what I wanted. Well, sort of anyways.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Cross-gen evolutions? My theory of the raven pokemon being an evolution of Skarmory lives on!

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Cross-gen evolutions? My theory of the raven pokemon being an evolution of Skarmory lives on!
An evolution of Skarmory would be disgusting. Skarmory already has ridiculous stat distribution, it doesn't need even more stats

I think Corviknight is an evolution of a Pokemon that is also a pre-evolution of Skarmory. Like how Hitmonlee and Chan were retconned to be related via a pre-evolution.

Corviknight would have the same BST as Skarmory, but distributed to attack, while Skarmory stayed defense based.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
Hated megas since only specific pokemon got them. Dynamaxing looked cool since its universal, but no there's special forms for specific pokemon again. That's lame.