• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
ON THE DECISION TO CUT POKEMON

We put a great deal of effort into developing each and every game as the project begins and we do feel that everyone having their opinion is important. But from a development perspective, when we go into deciding what way we're going to take Pokémon in the future we have to make several decisions on what to put in the games and how we want to improve things or changes things as we go.

So as part of that we reached the decision to take out the national Pokédex and keep the Pokémon the way it's been announced. There are many challenges we face as we go – different styles of gameplay we want to implement and we've got a lot of communications features that we are working on – and of course the one really big thing we always think about is how we can work to make the game really fun for fans.

And as we were working on all of this we took the decision to make the Pokédex as it is, and from a development point of view that's something we have to do each time and we put a lot of effort and thought into making those decisions.

ON WHAT LED TO THE DECISION

I think it's fair to say that both are involved. I mean, in any design situation, resources and time are always a constraint on what you can do in a project. But at the same time from a creative perspective, it's part of a discussion we've had at Game Freak with Nintendo and The Pokémon Company, and we came to the decision that, at some point, we need to be able to prioritize new gameplay ideas. We need to be able to find a way to balance the right number of Pokémon and also still introduce new ways for players to enjoy the game, new gameplay ideas to keep the series fresh and enjoyable far into the future.

ON DEVELOPMENT DIFFICULTIES

Obviously, we did have an interim step with Let's Go, Pikachu and Let's Go, Eevee. But, of course, moving onto the Switch from the 3DS and earlier platforms is quite a hard challenge, in particular with development efforts and costs there's a lot that you have to consider.

And, of course, with the new hardware there's a lot more possibilities, because there's that much more that you can consider in the first place. But really, when we get down to planning everything it's down to, 'How can we make the most fun game? How can we utilise the communication features that the Switch allows us to, to create a really fun game for everyone?' And we really think we've achieved that with producing Sword and Shield.

POKEMON HOME

One of the things we've tried to do this time around, and we don't have a lot of details to share, but we're introducing a cloud service called Pokémon Home and we really want to use that to kind of expand the Pokémon world, provide a place for players to be able to gather all of their Pokémon in one spot, do fun things, and also use it as a launching pad for different adventures and different games.

--

On the whole, it sounds like:
  • The decision to cut Pokemon is a creative and logistical one
  • Game Freak did have trouble adjusting to the Switch, though Let's Go helped
  • Game Freak's big goal with the Switch was to harness its network and communication capabilities
  • Game Freak is subtly implying that Pokemon Home may come as some comfort to those alienated by the National Dex exclusion

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Basically, they could put more resources into adding all the Pokémon, but they still prefer using them for other features going forward.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
They're just not that good at developing 3d pokemon titles.
source.gif

Fanuilos

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
That Pokemon Home comment is interesting. It would be pretty cool to transfer pokemon you've raised in Sw/Sh to say a Mystery Dungeon game or some other spinoff title. I'm not familiar the Mystery Dungeon games so maybe that happened already.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Actual discussion, lol
Good luck with that, on this topic, in this forum.

For what it's worth, I'm interested to see what they've created that's new using the resources that would have been spent on putting every Pokémon from the past games into this one.

I'm okay with only having a limited pool. Make new moves, remove old moves, etc. It can be hard hammering it all onto the previous generations' skeletons.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I would still say all pokemon really should be a priority, that is the end-game after all and what keeps people coming back to the games time and time again. Everyone has a favourite. Why should they be left out.

It's also wild this is the generation it's happening in, when the anime is going to become "We are going everywhere." for it's next season.

new-pokemon-anime-series.jpg

Heck, even the recent trailer that dropped today wants to Envoke that "All the generations". Feeling as well.

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
I would still say all pokemon really should be a priority, that is the end-game after all and what keeps people coming back to the games time and time again. Everyone has a favourite. Why should they be left out.

It's also wild this is the generation it's happening when the anime is going to become, "We are going everywhere."

Heck, even the recent trailer that dropped today wants to Envoke that "All the generations". Feeling as well.

I'm super excited for the anime, I haven't watched it since Johto ended.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It's also wild this is the generation it's happening in, when the anime is going to become "We are going everywhere." for it's next season.

Well it will have pokémon from all the generations. Just not all of them. And the anime will air alongside future games too, which will also have a different batch of Pokémon.

I'd rather have new features in each games than every game being stuck to the same formula because they have to rework all the Pokémon each time.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
That's why help from other companies is soemtimes a good idea if they are aiming big, they can learn alot from that.

They already have a lot of outsourcing for the games.

Getting other developers involved still makes development difficult and complicated because then it's all about co-ordination and going in the same direction.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who loved Gens 1, 2, 3 and 4, this is a bold statement and I guess I owe it to myself to play S&M as soon as I get a 3DS.

I liked Sun & Moon a lot but I feel it's different from 2D generations. It's surprisingly closer to a traditional JRPG in terms of story/characters/events than the older games, which really had their own style.

(still better than Gen 1&3 tho, definitely)

Big Yoshi

Nov 25, 2018
Game Freak at the same time doesnt take enough risks and cuts features people like every generation. Meanwhile they add stuff like Z-Moves or Gigantimaxing that just seems to check a tickbox of "New Feature" every Generation. I understand is hard to implement 800+ models for every pokèmon but I don't get how one of the largest gaming properties on the planet is constantly being treated so poorly.

In Gen 3, Pokèmon Colloseum was released and it reused N64 models and nobody complained, because its fine to reuse assets. whats keeping Gamefreak from just porting the models, textures, and animations from gen 6 and 7? even if they have less fidelity than the new models, its an understandable downside to including all the pokèmon.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
One of the things we've tried to do this time around, and we don't have a lot of details to share, but we're introducing a cloud service called Pokémon Home and we really want to use that to kind of expand the Pokémon world, provide a place for players to be able to gather all of their Pokémon in one spot, do fun things, and also use it as a launching pad for different adventures and different games.

Gee, kind of like Pokemon games of the past, right?

All of this reads as a set up to force fans into subscribing to Pokemon Home.

5 years from now you're going to have to go and find some website that has the compatibility lists for each Pokemon game. It's going to be such a mess.

V_ac

Avenger
Jul 2, 2018
Man do I hope Home is worth it. The National Dex stuff is the sole damper on Sword and Shield for me, so if I can do something worthwhile with my old Pokemon that don't make it into Sword and Shield then I'll be completely fine with this new direction for the Dex.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If Pokemon Home has a built-in battle simulator, that's enough for me.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, it's still a terrible decision and the implication that Home will relieve some tension about the decision means nothing because they've literally shown nothing about it.
Exactly, If they can show home will do something cool with old pokemon than great but so far I don't have faith in them regarding home and removing the national dex still rates as a bad decision that will only negatively affect sword and shield and possibly games going forward.

AbsoluteZ3R0

Feb 5, 2019
I would not mind the national dex cut if I saw any actual improvement.
- The graphics and animation looks pretty bad
- Dynamax is most creatively bankrupt idea I have seen in any pokemon game
- Gen 1 pandering
- They really have not shown any feature that harnesses "switche's network and communication capabilities"
- The games are more expensive
- Judging from previous experiences I highly doubt they will be balancing the pokemon

Not sure if the trade off is worth it. Maybe we will see "improvement" in future titles

OP
OP

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
I would not mind the national dex cut if I saw any actual improvement.
- The graphics and animation looks pretty bad
- Dynamax is most creatively bankrupt idea I have seen in any pokemon game
- Gen 1 pandering
- They really have not shown any feature that harnesses "switche's network and communication capabilities"
- The games are more expensive
- Judging from previous experiences I highly doubt they will be balancing the pokemon

Not sure if the trade off is worth it. Maybe we will see "improvement" in future titles
The communication features are beyond any other first party game on the Switch.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
whats keeping Gamefreak from just porting the models, textures, and animations from gen 6 and 7

dude have you seen the textures of gen 6/7 games?
pokemon_sun__moon_10.jpg

It'd get trashed on, and for good reasons. You can't port/reuse textures from 3DS games on HD consoles, the gap is too massive.

also I don't think Colosseum is reusing models from the N64. This doesn't look like it could run on an N64
pokemon_col_dec9.jpg

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
So long story short, they just stopped giving a fuck about a core aspect of the franchise that really matters to a lot of fans. Noted.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon giving away like 80% of all legendaries was a BIG hint of it. Sort of like "enjoy them, cause you aint seeing them for a hell of a long time". Oh well, hope the new generations like the games