• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Pretty self-explanatory thread title, what are some type combos in Pokemon that haven't been done or are relegated to super obscure Pokemon and don't really feel properly explored?

First one that came to mind is Fire/Water. I feel like for whatever reason GF is hesitant to give Fire types typing that will let them be neutral to Water, there's only a few of these after eight generations. I'd love to see what they can do with this typing outside of Volcanion. By the same notion there's also Fire/Grass that hasn't been touched at all.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We're never gonna get a Fire/Grass-type.

They used the name Weedle for someone else!

Screenshot_116.jpg

GTOAkira

Sep 1, 2018
Fire dragon is actually really rare for some reason. Turtonator and Reshiram are the only 2. They're also mega charizard I guess but thats a mega form only. Its actually weird how they went back and updated a lot of normal type to fairy but they never made charizard dragon.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Bug Dragon would be sick

These are all the type combos not used yet:
Normal Ice
Normal Poison
Normal Bug
Normal Rock
Normal Ghost
Normal Steel
Fire Grass
Fire Fairy
Electric Fighting
Ice Poison
Fighting Ground
Fighting Fairy
Poison Steel
Ground Fairy
Bug Dragon
Bug Dark
Rock Ghost

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Electric/Fighting STILL hasn't been done

Zeraora was right there, and they said "nope, gotta be monotype"

Xterrian

Apr 20, 2018
The only grass/ground pokemon is Torterra.

Given how grass and dirt, or basically any combination of flora+earth go together, it's pretty weird to me.

There's more ice/grass type Pokemon for goodness sake.

OP
OP
Mekanos

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Bug Dragon would be sick

Normal Ice
Normal Poison
Normal Bug
Normal Rock
Normal Ghost
Normal Steel
Fire Grass
Fire Fairy
Electric Fighting
Ice Poison
Fighting Ground
Fighting Fairy
Poison Steel
Ground Fairy
Bug Dragon
Bug Dark
Rock Ghost
I'm really surprised fighting/fairy hasn't been done, that would be a really fun combo. I kinda wish Bewear was fighting/fairy.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
Bug Dragon would be sick

Normal Ice
Normal Poison
Normal Bug
Normal Rock
Normal Ghost
Normal Steel
Fire Grass
Fire Fairy
Electric Fighting
Ice Poison
Fighting Ground
Fighting Fairy
Poison Steel
Ground Fairy
Bug Dragon
Bug Dark
Rock Ghost
Hiusian Zoroark is Normal/Ghost

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
Electivire ought to have been Electric/Fighting, same way Yanmega ought to have been Bug/Dragon.

Feel like some of these will inevitably get covered/corrected with regional forms, which seem to be GF's way of avoiding type retcons from now on.

CONCHOBAR

Oct 25, 2017
Its actually weird how they went back and updated a lot of normal type to fairy but they never made charizard dragon.
Making Charizard dragon-type would seriously fuck with the power dynamic of the original three starters. It would take neutral damage from water, killing Blastoise's rock-over-scissors advantage. It makes more sense for them not to do it.

DevilPuncher

"This guy are sick" and Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
Bug Dragon would be sick

Normal Ice
Normal Poison
Normal Bug
Normal Rock
Normal Ghost
Normal Steel
Fire Grass
Fire Fairy
Electric Fighting
Ice Poison
Fighting Ground
Fighting Fairy
Poison Steel
Ground Fairy
Bug Dragon
Bug Dark
Rock Ghost
Yeah, the Goodra line was a missed opportunity for Bug/Dragon if you ask me.

OP
OP
Mekanos

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
How Flygon or Yanmega never got this typing, I'll never know.

Yanmega in particular would probably benefit from it since it'd likely get stuff like Dragon Pulse and Draco Meteor running off of that decent Sp. Atk.
I remember reading that they planned a Bug/Dragon Mega for Flygon in ORAS but it never got finalized.

ABC123

Mar 1, 2019
Normal/Rock isn't the most exciting type combo, but I've always felt like Rockruff and Lycanroc should have been Normal/Rock. It's kind of strange to me that they're just pure Rock.

Tailesque

Sep 28, 2021
Chicago
My first time seeing Cofagrigus ingame: oh neat a rock/ghost

Later: oh :(

And like, even Runerigus ended up with Ground as the second type instead of Rock, even though it's literally stone slabs. I know it can kinda go either way there, but come on.

TheMink

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Connecticut
Electric/Fighting STILL hasn't been done

Zeraora was right there, and they said "nope, gotta be monotype"

I literally am so mad that we don't have it. What a killer typing that would be. That particular thing made me so mad.
My dream is a DK looking electric gorilla evolution line thats electric fighting.

ABC123

Mar 1, 2019
Getting 4x weakness to fighting ain't worth the immunity to ghost lol.

Just design-wise I mean. If you were to design the most generic Normal/Rock-type Pokemon, it would be something like Rockruff and Lycanroc to me. Every other pure rock type is just a rock lol. Lycanroc (day form at least), meanwhile, looks like a generic wolf with some rocks sticking out of its neck. It'd be like if Deerling and Sawsbuck were pure Grass-types. It would feel weird to me visually.

I agree a Normal/Rock-type game mechanics wise probably isn't the best compared to just a pure Rock-type.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Just design-wise I mean. If you were to design the most generic Normal/Rock-type Pokemon, it would be something like Rockruff and Lycanroc to me. Every other pure rock type is just a rock lol. Lycanroc (day form at least), meanwhile, looks like a generic wolf with some rocks sticking out of its neck. It'd be like if Deerling and Sawsbuck were pure Grass-types. It would feel weird to me visually.

I agree a Normal/Rock-type game mechanics wise probably isn't the best compared to just a pure Rock-type.
Yeah. Sucks that Normal is usually a liability for most dual typings.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
maybe i just saw some fake news but wouldnt the new pokemon arceus game have a normal ghost?

ghost rock feels so easy to do. tombstone. bam. youre not that ashamed of object pokemon anymore, just do it

OP
OP
Mekanos

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
maybe i just saw some fake news but wouldnt the new pokemon arceus game have a normal ghost?

ghost rock feels so easy to do. tombstone. bam. youre not that ashamed of object pokemon anymore, just do it
Cofagrigus was been an obvious candidate for Rock/Ghost. Maybe they didn't want all the Unova Ghosts to be dual typed.

Treythalomew

Oct 27, 2017
Of the options listed, Fire/Fairy would be what I'd like to see used. I imagine some kind of levitating Pokemon for that combo that rains fire from like 10 ft in the air.

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
Electric dragon is just a really cool typing exclusive to Zekrom, the least interesting fossil abomination, and mega Ampharos (normal Ampharos really deserves a retcon here). Would love to see more of those.

Ghost everything should be done but we are still missing ghost rock. I feel like dual type ghosts in general are not widely utilized and there's a lot of potential with just about any type. Guess I'm just biased as it's one of my favorite types.

More contradictory types would be fun. Grass fire somehow unused. Fire water Volcanion is a let down, deserves better. Ground flying Gligar/Gliscor turned out great, more would be fun. Fire ice I believe is just Darmanitan zen form?

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Cofagrigus was been an obvious candidate for Rock/Ghost. Maybe they didn't want all the Unova Ghosts to be dual typed.
i feel like galarian cofagrigus was a better option since its literally a ghost with some rocks, but they still havent done it
cofagrigus should have been ground ghost (mummy) and runegrigus rock ghost (bunch of rocks connected by a ghost) but hey

Tab

Nov 23, 2017
Very simple: Dragonflies aren't called Dragonflies in Japan.
Except Flygon's name in Japanese is also Flygon(also it's entire design conceit is that it's a literal Dragon-Fly), so it's not like the Devs wouldn't be aware of the dragon connection with those bugs for Yanmega, regardless of what the Japanese name is for them.

Last edited:

Yoshimitsu126

The Fallen
Nov 11, 2017
United States
Except Flygon's name in Japanese is also Flygon(also it's entire design conceit is that it's a literal Dragon-Fly), so it's not like the Devs wouldn't be aware of the dragon connection with those bugs for Yanmega, regardless of what the Japanese name is for them.

What's also weird is bagon and shellgon's name localization. You would think that entire line would end at Flygon.