Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
Pokemon dialogue has always been awkward. Coupled with X and Y's lackluster story and characters, and you get something special.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Kid_Icarus-Uprising_logo.jpg
EXCUSE ME?

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
It will be a long time before anything unseats Mass Effect: Andromeda's trainwreck of a script.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
not when lines like "Pokemon aren't things to collect" punctuates the climax of the game
that's like playing a Mario game and being told jumping is wrong
What an odd thing to say. Pokemon are sentient beings put almost on the same level as humans. In the world of Pokemon that is a completely okay thing to say. We're also gonna ignore that Lusamine had her collection cryogenically frozen lol (I assume it was Gladion who said that quote my mind is blanking).

It's like saying Silver, or Paul from the anime, was right all along.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
not when lines like "Pokemon aren't things to collect" punctuates the climax of the game
that's like playing a Mario game and being told jumping is wrong
Idk, Lysandre talks about getting rid of the filth ruining the pokemon world, but have you seen the grunts he is gonna leave the new world to. They ain't no role models, much less people I would trust to reinvent the world.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
What an odd thing to say. Pokemon are sentient beings put almost on the same level as humans. In the world of Pokemon that is a completely okay thing to say.

No, its as nonsensical as Team Plasma telling the player to stop pocketing pocket-monsters.
Its an IP where you're encouraged to collect, trade, breed and battle these creatures so when they try to play the moral dilemma its about the most laughable angle possible.

Idk, Lysandre talks about getting rid of the filth ruining the pokemon world, but have you seen the grunts he is gonna leave the new world to. They ain't no role models, much less people I would trust to reinvent the world.

oh Team Flare is worse, im just saying Sun and Moon had some serious ludonarrative dissonance

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
X/Y were bad, but US/UM have them beat very easily. The only thing I straight up hated in X/Y were the 'friends' you were forced to travel with.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
What an odd thing to say. Pokemon are sentient beings put almost on the same level as humans. In the world of Pokemon that is a completely okay thing to say.

But that's literally the whole point of the game and how this became a billion dollar ip lol

The hypocrite meter is off the charts lol

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
oh Team Flare is worse, im just saying Sun and Moon had some serious ludonarrative dissonance
I agree that there is dissonance between the player but it's easy to see how characters in the world have that feeling. It's why in-game during story scenes the MC is always said to care super lots about his Pokemon and how much his pokemon love him/her, even if they were just caught seconds ago (and honestly I don't even like how the games do that).

IzzyRX

Powered by Friendship™
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
XY needed a Z version so bad, to fix this shitshow.
I'm sure they had something good to do with Zygarde and all that balance thing, but then, everything was Sun and Moon.
At least the anime did it better.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
this is nothing new their team rockets have been getting more ridiculous and dumb each game eventually they ran out of ideas, also Pokemon sucks

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
idk how you can think Sun and Moon is worse, the story at least makes sense there even if the main characters are dumb, and the stupid villain team this time isn't taken seriously.
You know what, you might be right. My main issue with SuMo's story is likely its horrendous pacing, which isn't necessarily related to the quality of its plot and characterization.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I still feel that Pokemon is at its best when it's about a young athlete trying to make it to the top of their sport, and the bad guys are just a nuisance that they have to stomp out on the way there.

Saving the world is something that every other RPG on the market does and often does better. Like, Black & White was a nice shakeup but it's not something I'd like them to try to do all the time.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
Not sure why people are dumping on Black and White's plot. Team Plasma is written like an extremist group who you as the player are not supposed to agree with, while N is supposed to be their ideals boiled down to the purest form. You aren't supposed to agree with them. Some of the characters in universe are.

Team Plasma is also supposed to be hypocritical.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I agree that there is dissonance between the player but it's easy to see how characters in the world have that feeling.

Excluding player only mechanics like Bank/Home, there are facilities in every single town to deposit and trade living beings, NPCs all over the place willing to trade and shops that sell items to facilitate collection. Every step of the journey pushes Pokemon collection and battling as the norm and standard way of life in these regions to the point where by the time you're done in Alola you probably own endangered species, interdimensional aliens (one of which Lillie just gives you), and island deities.

Not sure why people are dumping on Black and White's plot. Team Plasma is written like an extremist group who you as the player are not supposed to agree with, while N is supposed to be their ideals boiled down to the purest form. You aren't supposed to agree with them. Some of the characters in universe are.

Team Plasma is also supposed to be hypocritical.

The fact that people are convinced by them at all is the part that breaks it.

Oct 26, 2017
XY is shambolic from beginning to end. Just a massive step back in every way imaginable. Gen V should've been Pokemon's Renaissance in terms of increasing the quality of the story and dialogue, and instead, GF thought "hmm, we haven't dumbed it down for children yet." As a result, you have some of the most idiotic character motivations, and unnatural dialogue in XY. It comes across as incredibly hollow and fake, as opposed to being an environment of humans and Pokemon coalescing.

Last edited:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Sun and Moon's writing was definitely worse than X/Y's. But really, Pokemon writing in general is just awful across the board.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
With regards to stuff like Team Plasma's motivation, I think the idea is that Pokemon are friends that you're supposed to have relationships with, but the gameplay isn't really built for that. I think there's plenty of it in the setting itself, there are lots of characters who seem particularly attached to one of their Pokemon, but it's weird when you're seeing characters who have clearly been Pokemon trainers for decedes and have two Growlithe to show for it while you've got a full team with dozens shoved in a box somewhere.

Funny enough, it has me thinking of Monster Rancher, which actually makes you develop more of a connection with your monster for a specific reason - you take care of each one individually, invest in it as it grows and ages, and eventually watch it die (provided you don't fuse it or something).

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
he was cool in the anime though

this is how he dies
c2c.gif

IMO He was somehow even worse in the anime. Theres a backstory scene where Lysandre and some other scientists offer aid to homeless people, and the homeless people got needy, so Lysandre decides that the world needs to be purged. Like, you're just gonna go zero to a thousand like that?

this game is made for babies

There's plenty smartly written media intended for all ages

Last edited:

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Lysandre wants to make the world beautiful, so he is going to blow it up and create a new one from scratch. Typical JRPG villainy.

REMEMBER AZ?

Quinton

Staff Writer at TheGamer / Reviewer at RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar, With Love
What's funny is that I literally just finished watching the XY anime a few hours ago and man. If the games' Team Flare stuff was even half as genuinely decent as the show's it would have been fine.

Cromat

Mar 17, 2019
The stories in all pokemon games (and 99% of video games in general) are painfully bad. They should go back to relying on atmosphere and lore like GSC rather than this heavy handed plot.

Flon

Is Here to Kill Chaos
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it really wasn't good. The characters were so poor and the plot seems to be in its own world, especially considering it frames certain events as actual twists.

GoldStarz

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so confused by people saying SuMo is worse. Like, SuMo has an actual plot and character development? And an actually well-established setting? X/Y has like a sequence of events that come, for the most part, out of nowhere and literally none of the characters actually change (most of them are barely even characters).

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
I'll never understand why people keep looking for interesting plots and deep characters, in a Pokémon game out of all things, but I like that at least they try to make each villain's motives different. And I mean, it's got to be ridiculous in order to avoid kids saying "hey, this guy's got a point..." lol

I loved battling with the 3D functionality, I don't know why people kept it turned off.