• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
Inspired by the recent Eevee popularity thread; Remember back in the "PokeMania" days when Poliwhirl was being pushed everywhere like crazy alongside Pikachu and Charizard? They were pushed on every single piece of merchandise you could imagine alongside being a staple on Red's team in the manga. Part of me always wondered if Poliwhirl got a huge spotlight because it was admittedly the series' creator, Satoshi Tajiri, favorite Pokémon line. After the first-generation craze died down, Poliwhirl would go on to lose all their fame like a washed-up actor and became a bygone mascot of the past. Whadya think about Poliwhirl? Also curious to hear if you all remember any other forgotten mascots from Pokemon or even similar franchises like Yugioh or Digimon. It's a fun time capsule to think about.

vo682Ev.png

applYlW.png

FbGU8qc.png

RpqEyQj.jpg

nXkkhkk.jpg

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Poliwhirl needs the love. Most people quickly evolve it to Poliwrath or Politoed, but Poliwhirl is a champ.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This could have worked if Politoed was the real final evo of that line. Poliwrath it is such a boring copy paste evolution...

The Quentulated Mox

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 10, 2022
That Time magazine cover is stirring up some Deep Memories for me

Anyway, we need Pokemon Let's Go Poliwhirl to make up for the travesty of Politoed

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Saw a Facebook post recently that argued Poliwhirl is the most "Pokemon-like" Pokemon. Obviously not the most famous, but the one that best captures the essence of "yup, that's a Pokemon," if that makes any sense.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
It didn't get featured in anime and I think that killed its fame prematurely. Hell, there wasn't a Poliwhirl centric episode until much later in Johto where Misty's Poliwag evolved...

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
I was a Poliwhirl for Halloween when I was 8, though the costume was some hokey, cheap Wal-Mart trash.

DevilPuncher

Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
Pokémon marketing used to be really good at promoting all of the Pokémon, I think because at the time there were still relatively few of them. 151 may seem like a lot, but when the catch phrase is "Gotta Catch 'Em All," it's actually a strength to show off as many as you can. It's weird going back and seeing weirdos like Poliwhirl and the like take center stage when nowadays they're kind of obscure, but those were the times. Kind of makes me wish they'd show off more than just Pikachu and Eevee in the marketing nowadays…

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
Poliwag's cuter, but Poliwhirl's OK. t's strange how Poliwhirl didn't have any major appearances in the original anime series despite being pushed so hard on the merchandise side.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
There's something so appealing about this Pokemon! It's almost....hypnotic....

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Not going to be one of those people who constantly complains about newer Pokemon designs, but gen 1 (and 2, which is really just extended gen 1 for the most part) had some truly iconic funny little guys.

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
Poliwhirl got its due in the recent 151 TCG set with not one, but two amazing artworks on cards.
61.jpg

176.jpg

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
good riddance, it doesn't even have a mouth wtf

Tab

Nov 23, 2017
I'm fully aware that this was the case, but there's something about all of that Poliwhirl stuff in the OP that feels like it's photoshopped for the sake of gaslighting people into thinking that a Pokemon as random as Poliwhirl was once positioned as a major mascot for the series. The mac & cheese box especially.
Poliwhirl got its due in the recent 151 TCG set with not one, but two amazing artworks on cards.
61.jpg

176.jpg
That second one is fantastic

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 23, 2022
Simple. No need for a physical water type in the first 3 gens of the game. I liked Kingler, but I need someone who could use surf. Politoed fixed this, but trade evolutions weren't the easiest to pull off.

Great design, but why would I pick you over Blastoise or Lapras? Gyarados managed to avoid this issue with its crazy attack coverage.

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
Also, I don't wanna hear about how newer Pokemon designs suck when Poliwhirl doesn't so much as evolve as he gets roid rage.

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
I'm fully aware that this was the case, but there's something about all of that Poliwhirl stuff in the OP that feels like it's photoshopped for the sake of gaslighting people into thinking that a Pokemon as random as Poliwhirl was once positioned as a major mascot for the series. The mac & cheese box especially.

That second one is fantastic
I actually prefer the first one because it just seems so happy with itself.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
Pokémon marketing used to be really good at promoting all of the Pokémon, I think because at the time there were still relatively few of them. 151 may seem like a lot, but when the catch phrase is "Gotta Catch 'Em All," it's actually a strength to show off as many as you can. It's weird going back and seeing weirdos like Poliwhirl and the like take center stage when nowadays they're kind of obscure, but those were the times. Kind of makes me wish they'd show off more than just Pikachu and Eevee in the marketing nowadays…
They aren't as good at promoting singular Pokemon anymore either. Alolan Exeggutor and Mimikyu feel like the last successful stars. I still have to look up Miraidon and Koraidon's names every time I think about them.

wholahay

Dec 18, 2017
I absolutely LOVE Poliwhirl!! My go-to backpack for getting around the city has a perfect little pixel art Poliwhirl patch on it and I love him so much. He's precious. He's a king. He's an icon, to me

Veeboy

Oct 31, 2017
Everytime I am remineded of the Poliwhirl push I get smacked in the face by how different nostalgia can be from reality. Like, I was there. I had a glass with Poliwhirl on it even though I didn't like Poliwhirl all that much. I somehow literally block this information out of this mind whenever I am not actively looking at this 90's era promo material.

As for my opinion on the Pokemon itself. I would've cared more as a kid if Poliwrath had a better design than it does. As it stands, I like Politoed but since it is a trade evolution I rarely use it in my playthroughs of Pokemon games so the entire line is just unremarkable to me.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
im just now realizing that's not his mouth? (the swirly thingy on his chest) lol? anyone else?

Trike

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
I think it's just that there was a lot of demand for merchandise so many marketable Pokemon appeared on prodcuts spread across various brands. I'm pretty sure Clefairy was going to be the original mascot for Pokemon before Pikachu took the world by storm.

For stuff like Time Magazine I'm sure they were just more focused on paying less for subscriptions than most popular pokemon.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I feel like Pokemon pushes a forced mascot every generation no?

Some designs do that effortlessly and I think Smash push helps a ton. Like with Lucario and Greninja for example.

I've always loved Poliwhirl and had no idea they tried to force them this hard.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That Time Magazine cover lmao. "yeah, yeah, we have these other guys like Pikachu and Charizard. But have you seen our lord and savior POLIWHIRL?"