• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Another good video from John Oliver and his team. They crammed a lot of info into this one.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
It's insane what militarization of police and drug raids have done. Couple that with the fact that only training they get is how to shoot people. Apparently cultist baby killers (a "real" training scenario) is much more common vs conflict de-escalation or mental health training. It's kind of insane. Not even mentioning racism.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
I know this isn't remotely the point, but what the fuck with that Cop Rock show? Who greenlit that??

But yeah, this was a great segment. I always appreciate when you can tell John is legitimately angry, as he should be.

Oct 25, 2017
Watched it this morning. It's yet another example on how the police are made to keep down minorities and not actually serve & protect.
The fact that warrants are approved so easily and wrong house raids are so damn common is just a telling sign at how broken things are.
Also, the wrong house stuff reminded me of this Simpsons moment from 1992! We have only gotten worse...

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's crazy how pizza delivery guys seem more competent at finding the right address than those cops.

Also, I like Last Week Tonight and I know it's a comedy show, but they could really cut down some of those jokes. Not every of those horror Stories needs a quip afterwards.

Bangai O

Oct 28, 2017
I can't believe Cop Rock aired 11 episodes on TV. You think something like that would be cancelled after one or two episodes.

Oct 25, 2017
I know this isn't remotely the point, but what the fuck with that Cop Rock show? Who greenlit that??
I can't believe Cop Rock aired 11 episodes on TV. You think something like that would be cancelled after one or two episodes.

There was a weird time in TV where they tried to make cop dramas stand out with weird gimmicks. Another example was Tequila & Bonetti, a drama with a "talking" dog (though it's more running commentary ADR'd over the dog). Best thing about it is that it has a young Marsika Hargitay, before SVU.
But yeah, Cop Rock was a particularly stupid idea.

Wolfapo

Dec 27, 2017
You could really see how fucking angry John is in this segment.
And I can fully understand. Just watching this made my blood boil.

devilhawk

Oct 27, 2017

But yeah, this was a great segment. I always appreciate when you can tell John is legitimately angry, as he should be.
Created by Steven Bochco. The guy also created NYPD Blue, Hill Street Blues, LA Law and Dougie Howser. No network was going to turn him down.

Obi Wan Jabroni

alt account
Banned
Dec 14, 2020
The flashbang in the crib was beyond horrific.

If you can watch this segment and think the police don't need some serious and total fucking overhaul, I'll assume you're not human.

And you gotta love how most of this ultra-aggressive militaristic bullshit is levied against non-violent drug offenses, assuming of course they bust down the door of the correct domicile. (Which they often don't)

Also, how in the sweet fuck are they not liable for property damage when they target the wrong house? How is that legal?

Obi Wan Jabroni

alt account
Banned
Dec 14, 2020
It's crazy how pizza delivery guys seem more competent at finding the right address than those cops.

Also, I like Last Week Tonight and I know it's a comedy show, but they could really cut down some of those jokes. Not every of those horror Stories needs a quip afterwards.

Honestly, the humor in this episode seemed very toned down and perfunctory. Oliver just seemed pissed and the flashbang in the crib seemed to really send him over the edge. (Had the same effect on me)

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's amazing that the Satanic Panic is still going strong in police training in fucking 2021.

Sho Nuff

Jan 6, 2019
Kyoto, JP

Fucking COP ROCK.

I watched this with my dad when it came out. Please note, at the time my dad's job was LITERALLY WRITING MUSICALS. We just watched it flabbergasted, then never spoke of it again.

Edit: I don't think JO mentioned that Cop Rock songs were written by RANDY FUCKING NEWMAN.

Last edited:

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Good segment. I can tell you first hand about police raids, having grown up poor and had them kick in our door a few times. Also Cop Rock baby lol.

Anyway, I thought I had moved away from that. I now live in the "city" part of Virginia Beach. Average household income is something like $75k now, compared to the $20-ish-k of my home town (Ocean View in Norfolk). Rent is high, mortgages higher. One day last year I was playing some game on my PS4 when I heard weird noises. Sounded like a truck hopping curbs. Look out my window, and yes, it was that. A SWAT van or whatever they are (they look like armored trucks). Guy starts yelling into a megaphone or some shit. About 20 cops, not exaggerating, with riot shields and shotguns and such are converged in front of my neighbor's door.

This neighbor? Nice little old lady. Lets me pet her cute little dog whenever she's around and I go jogging.

Cops had the wrong door, as usual. Almost gun downed a sweet old lady who's only crime is when she makes sweet tea, she puts waaaaay too much sugar in it. But hey we're in the south so maybe that's OK. Anyways, one can move out of the usual stomping grounds of the cops and still find themselves in their crosshairs by accident of address and their stupidity.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
I think John is becoming more and more radicalized with each season. He never says the magic S-word but he now did go through how reforms are completely useless and ineffective, doing way too little, way too late. He is becoming anti-reformist!