• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Mar 7, 2020
USA
https://lawandcrime.com/police/im-a...-ohio-cop-running-over-black-shooting-victim/

https://www.wdtn.com/top-stories/sp...-identified-family-still-looking-for-answers/

A man who died after being shot and then hit by a the cruiser of Springfield police officer told 911 dispatchers he was lying in the middle of the road as police responded to the shooting, records obtained by News Center 7 show.

Cole remained on the phone with dispatchers as you hear sirens in the background from cruisers approaching the scene.

"They just hit me," Cole said.

"Who hit you?" the dispatcher asked Cole.

"The police," he said.

Cole was flown to Miami Valley Hospital, where he later died from his injuries. The Montgomery County Coroner's Office has not yet said how Cole died.

"This was an accident," Graf said. "It doesn't mean it's okay. It was an accident. This was not an intentional act on the part of the officer. I am sure of that. From what we are initially piecing together, remember this is all under investigation, the lead officer was trying to catch the addresses on the house. Eric was lying in the street as you can see from the videos — and the officer did not see him."

"That camera focuses where it's pointed," the police chief continued. "It's not an indicator of what the officer was seeing."

The family isn't convinced either — because police did not initially mention that an officer ran Cole over that night.

"He said, 'Your son has just been shot,' never once was I told that an officer ran over my son," Cole's mother Regina Wilson told local NBC affiliate WDTN. "Why was I not told at the scene that she ran over my son?"

The police chief is already excusing the cop that ran over the victim "Just because the dash cam footage clearly showed the victim doesn't mean the officer saw the victim".

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, thats bs. Dude was wearing a bright af white shirt

And lets say it wasnt malicious - that is literally a shit police job. Was told he was ON the street. Like how can you not see that dude. Imagine if your surgeon made such a mistake "oh sorry, I didn't see your Aorta and cut it." Would be sued so hard

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Next they'll be all like "I wasn't actually looking in the direction of the camera on my vest when I accidentally shot this African American Man who was aged 14"

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
that irony being the last thing you take with you as you leave this mortal coil...I can't believe this, and yet it's totally believable.

"the cops just drove over me" and just having to shrug and accept how shitty the world is.

Oct 25, 2017
They can't determine how a guy who was shot in the fucking arm, then had his head run over by a car died? Truly a mystery.

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
Just watched the video right up until impact. Fucking Mr Magoo in the cruiser had to be driving with her eyes closed to not be able to see that poor man on the road. It's a total miracle she even made it to the scene /sarcasm

If I told a cop I missed the reduced speed sign I would be yelled at by them and laughed out of the court. A cop runs over a victims fucking head and we're asked to be lenient with the person. Fuck off.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, thats bs. Dude was wearing a bright af white shirt

And lets say it wasnt malicious - that is literally a shit police job. Was told he was ON the street. Like how can you not see that dude. Imagine if your surgeon made such a mistake "oh sorry, I didn't see your Aorta and cut it." Would be sued so hard
Having worked in a hospital this is basically what I was thinking. Someone's death being a direct act of her negligence should not absolve her of blame here.

Hell, if any regular old joe ran over someone, you sure as hell aren't getting away with saying "oops I wasn't looking." Like what the fuck even is this story??

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
Next on "excuses that wouldn't work for a civilian but somehow work for cops"...

Why do we hold cops to such ridiculously low standards in this country?

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I'm probably being too generous but the quote in the OP clearly says that even though they think it's an accident that doesn't mean it's okay. The purpose of making it clear it's an accident sounds more like trying to separate this from other cases where black people are murdered by cops. Like, "this wasn't a case of racism, it was negligence! …please don't protest."

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I'm honestly a little surprised they didn't go with "well they shouldn't have been lying in the road if they didn't want to get run over"

OP
OP
purplemonkey111
Mar 7, 2020
USA
I'm probably being too generous but the quote in the OP clearly says that even though they think it's an accident that doesn't mean it's okay. The purpose of making it clear it's an accident sounds more like trying to separate this from other cases where black people are murdered by cops. Like, "this wasn't a case of racism, it was negligence! …please don't protest."
You mean like the one where the female cop went into the wrong apartment and shot the black home owner dead?

She was tired, she was scared confused. Not she fucked up and we will make sure the victim gets justice.

I'm waiting for the cops to leak to the press that the "victim was no angel next week.

Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK
How the hell didn't she see him? It was like the slowest crawl up to him. Even if it -was- unintentional, she needs to be sacked, and probably should lose her license to drive too, since she clearly can't see shit.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like if I ran over someone like that and they died, I'd be charged with manslaughter at the very least. Is that incorrect?

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Damn, she wasn't even cruising. I was half expecting huge speed response and she didn't have time to react. But dude was more visible than a damn deer in the middle of the road…..holy shit

Rangerx

Oct 25, 2017
Dangleberry
Aswell your going to be looking straight at the road when your turning a corner anyway. Cops are coming out with a bullshit excuse.

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You're coming out of a turn how the fuck do you not see him!?!?!

Oh wait, you did see him.

Greecian

Oct 27, 2017
This woman shouldn't be driving, let alone be a cop. Holy shit, what was she looking at? I'm high as fuck and I can see the guy

TalonJH

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
Bare minimum, she should be fired and lose her drivers license and honestly more. If a pizza delivery driver ran over a person, they wouldn't be delivering pizza anymore and they'd be charged. Why not this cop?

Edit: Also, can you imagine being shot, calling for help thinking you were going to die, seeing the lights and thinking help was almost there and feeling a little relieved and then being run over by your "rescuers"?

Last edited: