• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Part of the ongoing saga with TikTok and the potential divestment

The Chinese Embassy has held meetings with congressional staff to lobby against the legislation that would force a sale of TikTok, according to two of the Capitol Hill staffers.

TikTok, which is owned by the Beijing-based company ByteDance, has repeatedly denied a relationship with the Chinese government and sought to distance itself from its Chinese origins. But now, with the fate of legislation to force the sale of the company facing an uncertain path forward in the Senate, the Chinese Embassy appears to be leveraging its political weight to protect the company's future in the United States.

ShadBy

Oct 8, 2023
TikTok said in a statement that the embassy meetings were "news to us, and it's absurd to ask us to comment on anonymous sources we know nothing about."

"Since the bill's introduction, we've been publicly vocal about why we oppose the ban bill," said Alex Haurek, a TikTok spokesperson. "This so-called reporting doesn't pass the smell test and it's irresponsible for Politico to print it."

The Chinese Embassy, however, did not deny having held the meetings. In a statement, embassy spokesperson Liu Pengyu said that the "Chinese Embassy in the US tries to tell the truth about the TikTok issue to people from all walks of life in the US."
Uhhhhh

"This is not about lobbying for a single company," the spokesperson added, "but about whether all Chinese companies can be treated fairly."

Bruh is the Chinese embassy trolling the Tik Tok people? Wtf lol

Last edited:

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Politico exists to stir the shit so I don't know if this is real or not.

Orion117

Prophet of Regret - A King's Landing
Dec 8, 2018
A foreign goverment lobbying to keep one of their biggest company from being banned in a big market is not controversial. I am sure US does the same.

Jubilant Duck

Oct 21, 2022
Politico exists to stir the shit so I don't know if this is real or not.
is your accusation that (potentially) Politico made it up or (potentially) the staffers fed Politico false info?

A foreign goverment lobbying to keep one of their biggest company from being banned in a big market is not controversial. I am sure US does the same.
Basically. And the US has gone further than lobbying before when it comes to furthering the fortunes of its home-grown organizations.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
This seems like a no duhh kind of thing? Like of course they don't want their globally popular social media platform banned.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Would make sense tho, it'd be pretty easy to just buy them if Russia is anything to go by.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Racoon City
Okay I have a dumb/uninformed question that I might delete and go look up. But...what was the point of Project Texas if the US is still trying to force a sale? Because if I'm understanding it correctly, TikTok/Us Gov/Texas did this to house American userdata separately from China so that TikTok was in compliance. But if they're saying this is the only way bc China, then it really makes it feel like the real purpose behind Project Texas was to have US stuff silo'ed off and ready to go for when China is forced to sale.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
is your accusation that (potentially) Politico made it up or (potentially) the staffers fed Politico false info?

I can easily see them spinning actual Chinese meetings about whatever into being about TikTok and using mythical unnamed sources to make the case.

Politico stirs shit by playing stuff up but I'm not aware of them just making things up

If it can't be verified, how would we ever know?

People here have blinders on when it comes to TikTok so I have no doubt they're willing to believe that this was the CCP trying to keep their subversion tool or whatever because that's what they want to believe. I give Politico no benefit of the doubt these days. They've had too many ass pulls to take seriously.

Jubilant Duck

Oct 21, 2022
If it can't be verified, how would we ever know?
If that's your standard then you're painting that vast majority of respected journalistic outfits with the same "fake news" brush you appear to be applying to Politico.

A publication trading on its track record when it comes to unnamed sources isn't a fringe practise. Sometimes you don't name your sources. Replace "sometimes" with "often" for political reporting. It's how the game is played.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
Can't say I'm surprised. What I don't understand is how China's government, who blocks American social media apps, and engages in the biggest internet censorship in the world, thinks they can convince anyone to overlook that glaring hypocrisy?

It's mission impossible IMHO.

What a disappointment Xi turned out to be 😢

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
If that's your standard then you're painting that vast majority of respected journalistic outfits with the same "fake news" brush you appear to be applying to Politico.

A publication trading on its track record when it comes to unnamed sources isn't a fringe practise.

Respected journalists rely on their respectability. Politico has spent years shitting that away.

If I had made my post in a PoliEra thread there'd be no pushback because people who have been paying attention have seen them degrade into a clickbait site realtime.

Jubilant Duck

Oct 21, 2022
Respected journalists rely on their respectability. Politico has spent years shitting that away.

If I had made my post in a PoliEra thread there'd be no pushback because people who have been paying attention have seen them degrade into a clickbait site realtime.
But your accusation isn't that they're being clickbaity. Your accusation is they're making stuff up. That's a different league of severity.

sedael

Oct 16, 2020
Okay I have a dumb/uninformed question that I might delete and go look up. But...what was the point of Project Texas if the US is still trying to force a sale? Because if I'm understanding it correctly, TikTok/Us Gov/Texas did this to house American userdata separately from China so that TikTok was in compliance. But if they're saying this is the only way bc China, then it really makes it feel like the real purpose behind Project Texas was to have US stuff silo'ed off and ready to go for when China is forced to sale.

the answer is mostly that they were hoping it would stop a forced sale but then the leaks came out that they were just sending data to china when they felt like it anyway and right back to the same place they went lol

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
Right, then, China, as soon as you let uncensored versions of Facebook, Twitter, and Reddit live in China, we're game. Fair is fair.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It would be weird if they weren't though I doubt anyone will listen to such an openly hypocritical perspective.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I mean than pretty much everything is fake news since most stories come from 'sources'

It was always based on trust. If Newsmax made this article no one would be believing it. Politico has spent the last several years turning into an outrage site. They print drama and people eat it up.

Maybe it's true. Maybe it's not. I'll wait on a better source.

Jubilant Duck

Oct 21, 2022
That is not my accusation. Don't make things up yourself. I said I don't know if I believe them because they exist to stir the shit.
replace "accusation" with "aspersion" then. Your aspersion is they're making it up. If it wasn't, you wouldn't say you don't know if you believe them, which is ironically doing the shit stirring you mention.

Thing is I'm not even a habitual reader of Politco so they very well could be guilty of what you're implying for all I know. You mentioned Newsmax and we can point to specific examples of them making shit up. Can we do the same for Politco? Genuine question, as it would be good to know if I do need to disregard a news source.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
replace "accusation" with "aspersion" then. Your aspersion is they're making it up. If it wasn't, you wouldn't say you don't know if you believe them, which is ironically doing the shit stirring you mention.

Thing is I'm not even a habitual reader of Politco so they very well could be guilty of what you're implying for all I know. You mentioned Newsmax and we can point to specific examples of them making shit up. Can we do the same for Politco? Genuine question, as it would be good to know if I do need to disregard a news source.

I'm not going to do that legwork over a post that isn't even controversial to people paying attention. I dropped it with the idea that people reading it also had had their eyes opened to Politico's modus operandi. I guess that's one of the pitfalls of posting about political stories in Etcetera. If you really want to know if you can trust their reporting then start paying attention to the way they frame their articles, the slants they put on them, the number of times they got caught making hay out of nothing.

And I wouldn't be stirring any shit if people could have just let "I don't know if this is real or not" stand on its own instead of defending an outrage monger like Politico.

That's the last I'm going to say on the matter, already several more posts than I ever expected to have to say.

Ceerious

Oct 27, 2017
Asian
Doesn't China ban YouTube, Google, Wikipedia etc?

China bans foreign (mostly English and Other Asian's) social media, search engines, mail services, streaming services, video sites, media outlets, map services, gaming servers, wikis, and anything else imaginable. There are exceptions, of course. If it's for international expats or diplomatic employees, there may be dedicated lines that can connect to the oversea. Sites with negligible traffic may be ignored. In exchange for doing business in China, Apple allowed a CCP state-owned company to handle the icloud data of Chinese users. In politically sensitive regions of China, such as some places in Xinjiang, the government uses a white-list system to further prevent users from accessing the outside world.

China's even banned Github for a while. They reversed it after realizing that how stupid it was. A lot of Chinese scholars and students regularly use VPN to connect to arcademy sites outside of China for academic and research purposes.

But somehow 4chan is accesible from China, at least!

Last edited:

Raftina

Jun 27, 2020
Doesn't China ban YouTube, Google, Wikipedia etc?
China bans any website (domestic or foreign) that does not follow its rules on content and data handling. For example, ByteDance operates a mainland only service (Douyin) and a foreign service (TikTok), and TikTok is banned in China, because TikTok does not follow China's rules on content. Microsoft operates a China version of Bing. Until 2021, Microsoft operated a China version of LinkedIn. Then Microsoft disabled the social media functions in 2021 because of China's version of GDPR on data and processing localization.

You don't hear about the same rules being applied to domestic companies very often because very few Chinese companies operate websites that a lot of foreigners care about. And of course, a Chinese company that only operates a website in China and fails to follow the rules would no longer be operating a website.

Ash_Greytree

Oct 31, 2023
My opinion is still the same. It will remain the same even if it's revealed to be true that China is lobbying like this. I dislike TikTok. A TikTok forced sale is meaningless because data brokers can just sell the data to China anyway. Liberal/Center-Left tech orgs need to write the legislation they want to see and then lobby politicians at multiple levels of government to get it passed. Privacy laws that take data brokers to task, regulations that remove dark patterns from the equation, and so forth.

Bentendo24

Feb 20, 2020
China bans any website (domestic or foreign) that does not follow its rules on content and data handling. For example, ByteDance operates a mainland only service (Douyin) and a foreign service (TikTok), and TikTok is banned in China, because TikTok does not follow China's rules on content. Microsoft operates a China version of Bing. Until 2021, Microsoft operated a China version of LinkedIn. Then Microsoft disabled the social media functions in 2021 because of China's version of GDPR on data and processing localization.

You don't hear about the same rules being applied to domestic companies very often because very few Chinese companies operate websites that a lot of foreigners care about. And of course, a Chinese company that only operates a website in China and fails to follow the rules would no longer be operating a website.

TikTok is banned in China? WTF?