• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are You Happy With PlayStation’s Dead Silence?

• Yes

Votes: 548 18.9%
  • No

Votes: 993 34.2%
  • Neutral

Votes: 1,359 46.9%

• Total voters

terric101

Jan 7, 2018
It really isn't that a big of a deal. Wasn't the Nintendo Switch's first reveal trailer 4 months from release?
Lol, imagine some of Era's reactions if the PS5 is first revealed in June or July.

Earthed

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Sep 26, 2019
One thing I've learnt in business. If you have a sure fire hit product, like the PS4 was.......You try your absolute best to follow the same steps you took to replicate that success. Especially in messaging and marketing etc.

You do not risk rocking the boat for no reason at all. The age old "if it aint broke, why fix it"

I really can't understand why Sony isn't replicating the successful ramp up, following what was laid out with the PS4 before it.

It's clearly what the fans want, and what a lot of people expected. Fingers crossed they announce something soon.
Conflating "successful ramp up" with "we had it in February last time, so we must have it in February this time too!" is a pretty simplistic take on the matter.

Also, like, these "fans" you speak of? Dollars to doughnuts, us having to wait will be forgotten exactly 1 seconds after the playstation meeting kicks off, whether that's February or May, or even later.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Conflating "successful ramp up" with "we had it in February last time, so we must have it in February this time too!" is a pretty simplistic take on the matter.

Also, like, these "fans" you speak of? Dollars to doughnuts, us having to wait will be forgotten exactly 1 seconds after the playstation meeting kicks off, whether that's February or May, or even later.

while i completely agree with you on the second point. I was just suggesting that Sony's current approach seems extremely interesting. I'm just intrigues to finally see what their plans are and the potential reasoning to why they haven't followed what was successful previously.

Wasn't their an interview with Shu where he mentioned that Sony as a company couldn't put a finger on why the PS4 was so successful? Maybe that is clouding how they bring this one to market?

Cincaid

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
I'm not bothered by it, but I do want to plan my autumn purchases so I would want both companies to give more details on what's coming.

Previous generation I only had a X360. Microsoft lost me with their initial Xbox One reveal and I quickly jumped ship over to PS4 and that was all I was playing on up until this holiday, when I finally bought an Xbox One X. Now with Game Pass, better performance, and higher resolutions I'm really torn on what to buy first next generation. If you asked me a year ago I would say PS5 day one, but now I honestly don't know. I'll probably end up getting both eventually, since Sony still have some exclusives I want to play, but third party titles (which there are more of) I'm probably leaning towards Xbox Series X.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It sucks, but i'd imagine there are marketing folks working for the playstation division who are far more knowledgable on market trends, and when the right time to announce something is, than I am. Im sure they have a very calculated plan and we will see it come to fruition within the next five months.

remember the xbox 360, was revealed in may
Of 2005, only six months before it came out in that November.

Mashy

Oct 28, 2017
People are bitching and moaning about a lack of communication. They are also threatening they wont buy the next playstation.

These are also the same people that will probs be day 1 and be more than happen when information is revealed and forget to be disgruntled.

Just be patient, it REALLY isnt hard.

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
I would say neutral but where is that PC Horizon Zero Dawn official announcement!?

Voke

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
When was the last time they actually announced something, 2017 with ghosts right?

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I should've expected this from a forum that had multiple hype threads about another company's not-yet-announced announcement videos full of "RESET THE CLOCK" comments.

Jade1962

Oct 28, 2017
From experience with people at work and socially everyone knows PS5 comes out this year and is excited. They can't wait to see what Madden and COD look like on it. None of them perceive this "silence".

Oct 28, 2017
People thirsting for info so hard is so very sad. Gotta get a grip of yourselves and just go play some video games or rub one out. You need to get yourself out of the marketing loop because they're playing you for fools.

Its not like the console is gonna save your life, or you have any kind of stake in it. Is it gonna make you rich? Is it gonna find you a life partner? Its just a toy.

Dark_Chris

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Czech republic
I will be there day 1, but I would lie if I said I'm fine with what is Sony doing right now.

Last year they changed basically whole PlayStation leadership, half of industry is baffled by their moves and they stay radio silent while MS is stealing all the spotlight.
Sure some may say their PS5 logo reveal show how much are people preferring PS over MS, but imo that's very misleading... Add to that no E3 showings and you just know Sony has some internal troubles. I just hope it isn't PS5 hardware kinds of trouble. I don't want to see YLOD's situation again.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I'd love more info, but really all I need to know is that a new console is coming at the end of 2020 and it will play new Playstation games... which we already know so really I'm good

amnesties

Nov 17, 2017
only thing i'm verrrrrrrry slightly annoyed about is that sony won't acknowledge the existence of demon's souls remaster. it's pretty much the worst kept secret at this point

otherwise, yall desperately need hobbies outside of gaming

sado0og

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Almost 10 months for both console to be released....

At that time i will choose who offer me the best...

For now... I'm playing classic VGs

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm warning Playstation now, they are really throwing away marketing opportunities by choosing not to announce and reveal their console before release. Arrogant Sony again, thinking they can just tell us day one when its in stores and we'll lap it up. I may only buy one in that case.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
They're just working at their own pace and schedule.

This thread sounds like the thought process of Nintendo in 2016 - except the PS4 is a hugely successful system with plenty of games to play. Be thankful :P

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
I hope they reduce the touch pad size and move the share button...
I keep hitting share in frantic game motions (specially those involving upper-right direction) and the touch pad when hitting square too much.
I don't even have that big of hands.

Yes this and fix the triggers. Cant tell you how many times I set me controller down while watching some to have the video start automatically rewinding or fast forwarding.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Voted no but honestly kinda neutral at this point.

I really liked Playstations extremely simple approach to the PS4 gen. Give the consumers what they want, game announcements over boring business stuff we don't understand and making obscure promises. Them going silent now is fine but if the ramp of for 5 continues to be as hands off and impersonal I'd be disappointed.

I'm also fine with their teeny tiny direct like things they do, but I feel like they desperately need a face(s) on there for us to attach to. But I get that these are supposed to be as cost effective as possible.