Did we overestimate the influence of this game in others?

• Yes, several years have passed and I don´t see its impact

Votes: 830 36.7%
  • No, it is too soon to tell

Votes: 1,018 45.0%
  • No, it is just that other games can´t "copy" it

Votes: 342 15.1%
  • Another opinion (please explain yourself in the comments)

Votes: 72 3.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Immortals is pretty much Ubisoft's own BOTW, Genshin Impact is obviously heavily inspired by its open world design as well. And that's just four years after BOTW came out, who knows what else is being influenced by it that is yet to come out. Games take time to make.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
The free climbing in HFW sounds like it's been "impacted" by BOTW but not "influenced", they way it's been explained sounds that it works different enough. You won't climb like Spider-Man in Horizon.
Might want to wait on this as the climbing seems far more in line with AC and GoT than it does BotW.
She has a goddamned personal hang glider

Come on

Hermen Hulst will not be offended, I assure you

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Honestly it's just good to see numerous devs recognising that gliding and non-Unchartedesque 'climbing' are great additions to making a game fun. It shouldn't be at all controversial to say that Horizon Zero Dawn was inferior without things like this in terms of exploration so it's heartning to see that the devs are willing to improve the sequel in this regard by tkaing inspiration from one of the best games ever.

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
The impact is showing it's hand in the biggest of releases now. Games like Monster Hunter Rise and Horizon clearly show influences in two of the biggest examples. Great to see tbh.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
gretcheni9j7w.gif

i wonder when people will stop denying that botw is clearly influencing new games. 2025, maybe?

The free climbing in BotW is really good. It's not going to come to other games as the main "hook" like it was in Zelda but adding something like more open traversal to a game series like Horizon where everything else so much better done is a big win.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
In light of
Horizon 2
PSO2 NGS
Mon Hun Rise
And if leaks are correct on Sonic Rangers

I hope everybody that said that BOTW didn't do anything differently or was just an UBISOFT open world clone can take the biggest L possible

Thank you.

m4st4

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I believe we see the influences already in so many games. Genshin, Horizon, Ubisoft recently...

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The free climbing in HFW sounds like it's been "impacted" by BOTW but not "influenced", they way it's been explained sounds that it works different enough. You won't climb like Spider-Man in Horizon.
"Influenced" doesn't mean "copied wholesale". This is probably why so many scoff at the idea of BotW "influencing" their favorite game....they don't even know what the word means!

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
Man some responses in this thread are really splitting hairs to avoid the truth. The thread premise is pretty obvious if you take a look at any of the games cited in this thread.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
"Influenced" doesn't mean "copied wholesale". This is probably why so many scoff at the idea of BotW "influencing" their favorite game....they don't even know what the word means!

In any case, even if I used different wording, I'm saying Zelda was "responsable" so it's irrelevant what word did I use.

What I tried to say is that people might be disappointed if they expect it to work the same exact way it works in BOTW.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
Immortals is the AC Odyssey team taking heavy inspiration from BotW. This is, like, the least controversial take ever.
I don't know what to tell you. I just rolled credits and I'm 2 trophies away from the platinum and the entire experience just felt like Odyssey. The gameplay is almost 1:1 AC, the visuals are entirely Greek inspired, the plot is completely different, the boss battles are completely different. It's just that Fenyx can also use magic to lift objects and a few times I pushed a ball into a spot to progress through a vault. That's where the similarities begin and end in this 50 hour game.

treasureyez

Nov 23, 2017
Oct 27, 2017
Some of you legit having me laughing out loud.
"Impacted" not "influenced"?
I don't even think I need to explain how silly this sounds

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
I dont think it has been influential yet and I dont think it will be.

Ubisofts games have far far far more influence on open world design than anything in BOTW.

BOTW works when designing games in a very specific way. It will not work in a GTA for example. It will not work in games that are story heavy.

If I had to guess everyone will try to go the Witcher route more than BOTW for 99% of the games.

B. Spaceman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Spain
I don't know why some people take offense at this shit. I mean, BotW was also influenced by other games, that's how it works. It's not something that makes the game in question less good

Vinx

Sep 9, 2019
She has a goddamned personal hang glider

Come on

Hermen Hulst will not be offended, I assure you
Yes, BotW invented gliders.

Hmm, Assassin's Creed 2 had a glider in 2009.

So, that must mean BotW is so influential it is influencing games from before it was released. Amazing!

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Alright, I probably took the word "influence" in a wrong way, because as I said, I understood that you might think Aloy was going to be able to climb everywhere in the same way Link climbs.

I used "impacted" because it's obvious the change is design comes after BOTW even if it won't work the same exact way.

Oct 27, 2017
"impacted"
"responsible"
anything to say not influenced. for some reason, botw has been living under some people's skins for 4 years and they refuse to give it any credit.
Imagine if this forum existed back when the N64 and PS1 were around. You'd probably have people downplaying the influence of Z-Targeting in OOT as well

Lee Morris

Oct 28, 2017
I think it's too soon for AAA publishers to take influence from the game and implement those ideas in the design stage of a 5 year developed game.

I also think it's very unlikely that most AAA developers have the time and skill to craft an open world like the one in BotW. The west has an obsession with world size and viewing world's from a top down perspective. BotW feels like it's was developed to be viewed from Link's perspective and I can't think of another open world that has even tried to do that.

Oct 27, 2017

So, that must mean BotW is so influential it is influencing games from before it was released. Amazing!

Yup, exactly the same

I think it's too soon for AAA publishers to take influence from the game and implement those ideas in the design stage of a 5 year developed game.

I also think it's very unlikely that most AAA developers have the time and skill to craft an open world like the one in BotW. The west has an obsession with world size and viewing world's from a top down perspective. BotW feels like it's was developed to be viewed from Link's perspective and I can't think of another open world that has even tried to do that.

People here keep posting "Well this game started dev x years ago so it couldn't be influenced" as if game mechanics aren't constantly added to games years into development. We legit have game docs and BTS vids where devs comment on features of mechanics that didn't make their way in till the last year of development

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Wind Waker had a glider in 2003. The way the paraglider is used in BotW has absolutely influenced its inclusion in Horizon and it's fairly obvious AC2's (or The Wind Walker's) implementation had little to do with it. "Zelda didn't invent x" is such a bad faith argument.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017

Ezio having the Leonardo glider in specific missions is a bit different from BotW having a glider that's part of the player's basic toolkit and activated by hitting a button in mid-air, which subsequently appeared in other games with a focus on verticality and/or climbing like Dragon Quest Builders 2, Immortals Fenyx Rising, Genshin Impact, and now Horizon, all within a few years of BotW's release.

It's really amazing how overly defensive people are getting about this. BotW was influenced by things by Nintendo's own admission, but people are fucking terrified of admitting that it can influence in turn.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Developers could come right out and say that they were influenced by BotW with some aspects and people would still downplay it.

treasureyez

Nov 23, 2017

BotW's glider clearly goes all the way back to the Deku Leaf in Wind Waker anyway (and of course the Sailcloth in Skyward Sword).

66be0ba2367fe90eb840ca34d2685356.png

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Let's not necro-bump an ancient thread to gloat. This can be discussed in the myriad of open threads on Horizon.

Status
Not open for further replies.